Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Biowarfare posted:

Wait, why does the "Joe Biden is finally doing something." post link to "9. Using the Dpt of Education’s Full Legal Authority to increase access to in-person instruction"? What happened to funding remote learning?

Infecting more kids with covid to increase community spread DOES technically count as doing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Professor Beetus posted:

Honestly the biggest thanks are for the thread regulars who showed up and contributed great content to a crowdsourced OP. We're lucky to have so many knowledgeable folks here willing to help us laypeople make sense of this poo poo and stay on top of things. Thanks to everyone in this thread for participating and keeping this thread useful. I'm going to compile the list of contributers and their selected cert request. If you have not made a cert request via post or PM and you were quoted in the OP, I will just ask for an av/title change for you.

If this includes me, I'd love to get plat if possible.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Zarin posted:

The OP mentions "knock-off" N95/KN-95s.

I don't really know what to look for to know if something is genuine or not; how do I know if what I got is genuine or not?

The ones I purchased are brand-named, but I got them off of Amazon, so . . . have I already hosed up there?

Anything from Amazon is suspect, because they throw any items matching an item number into the same bins, regardless of source. So there can be counterfeit mask packages mixed in with legit ones, with no way to tell when you're ordering.

Sites that specialize in import mask sales like behealthy, or bonafidemasks are good. And I've done most of my mask orders through commercial/industrial suppliers like zoro, grainger, digikey, or others that are known dealers for 3M and other PPE manufacturers. Zoro is grainger's consumer facing site, but the stock varies between the two. Even Home Depot or Lowes are fine sources for slightly expensive N95 or P100 masks, because they're not likely to have fake 3M products on their shelves.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

2011, huh?

I have a question about N95 vs surgical masks. I get the 95% thing, but are the surgical masks really that bad? Is there an article that gets into the why and how?

Mask testing nerd Aaron Collins has a spread sheet of masks he's tested, he records the filtration percentage and how hard it is to pull air through the mask (pressure drop, lower is better).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M0mdNLpTWEGcluK6hh5LjjcFixwmOG853Ff45d3O-L0/edit#gid=1976839763

Go ahead and sort that sheet by filtration and see where surgical masks are in the list. The reasons are that are based on the fact that they're not designed to filter very well. They're droplet and splash protection. It's like comparing a pasta strainer to a Brita filter, they're for completely different purposes, even though you put tap water through both of them. There's huge gaps on the sides, the mask is there to mostly block spit, the common ones aren't made to any standards, and the medical standards aren't about filtering virus aerosols, because again, they're not designed to be high filtration masks.

N95 masks are the masks that ARE made to standards designed to filter covid aerosols. There's no gaps to let unfiltered air in, the media is designed to capture particles of a variety of sizes, using several different methods. And the N95 designation itself means that the masks are subject to NIOSH regulation and testing in the US.

His video on kids masks goes over a lot of the basics of which masks work, and what to look for in good masks. There might be a better primer video, but I haven't watched that many of his videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A88AGnN-nwI

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Anyone else notice their pants size got about 3 sizes bigger after getting the 3rd vaccine dose?

Makes you think

No joke, my sex life did get better after recovering from the 3rd shot. Then returned to base line about a few weeks later. No clue why, but I definitely felt different/better for a few weeks.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

I ordered 10 boxes of surgical masks from the same "add to cart" button (same ASIN, item listing, and FBA seller) and got five different brands lol

One of them even had a printed piece of paper with how it's genuine KN95. In a surgical mask box.

hahahaha

That's amazing.

Any marketplace style online shop is rapidly becoming completely untrustworthy for critical items, because of this counterfeit issue. Walmart.com and Amazon are the two that I can think of, but this system destroys any trust that you're actually getting the item you ordered.

Cygna posted:

I've had good luck getting N95s from Home Depot, aside from their delivery people liking to leave packages in the stupidest places I have ever seen.

Yeah, Home Depot is going to be ordering from the manufacturer, or from one of the large distributors. Not collecting items from a "marketplace" of sellers and tossing them in a bin together.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SubG posted:

Covid source control is good. You're tying yourself in knots trying to come up with rationales for not practicing source control. Don't do this. Practice source control in the middle of a pandemic, even if you don't like the people you're protecting, because the virus doesn't care.

Like I could go through point by point if you want: covid isn't the flu; the idea that EHMRs provide better personal protection against covid than N95s is speculation (if you have any reliable data to support that conclusion by all means post it, but I believe it's an open question under active investigation at the moment); "source control through not being a source" is sophistry; arguing that protecting one person more is better than source control is a rationalisation that has it exactly backwards as far as controlling disease is concerned; and I'm not arguing that using an EHMR is an immoral choice--I'm arguing that practicing source control is good regardless of who you're protecting or how much you think they have it coming, or how much you think it doesn't really matter, or anything else.

But seriously: practice source control. Don't try to come up with elaborate reasons why it's okay for you to not practice source control.

Hey, could you link the studies for your claims that elastomeric half face respirators are worse protection than disposable N95 masks? Or the ones that they're worse at source control than vented N95s? I would be interested in seeing what your statements are based on.

Because as far I can tell, you're building your whole argument off some speculation that a nearest neighbor study means absolutely nothing, and nothing can be learned or inferred from it, or the guidance that was a result of that study. You're trying to apply an insane double standard to anyone who wants to put on a half mask. While the standard for everyone in the US is a optional cloth or surgical mask worn somewhere near the face, you want half mask wearers to filter their exhaled better than anyone outside clean rooms for some reason.

Me wearing a mask protects exactly one person, me. No amount of extra poo poo can change that, I can only filter my own air. I toss some extra source control on myself, but I know it means nothing because less than 5% of the people I've seen in the wild are wearing masks that can filter aerosols. It's like we're in a prisoner's dilemma scenario, and everyone else has already slammed betray, are holding BETRAY rallies, wearing shirts that say "I <3 to betray" and you're telling me that it's super important that I personally choose to cooperate. Your advice leads to literally no good out comes for anyone, and potentially a very bad outcome for the health me my loved ones and me.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

And please, the promise of "well you won't get severe disease" is a sick loving joke. 'Mild' covid can include everything up to getting a ventilator jammed down your throat.

And don't forget that this is America, where a week in a hospital will easily cost a quarter million dollars, or maybe only $50,000 if you have insurance. So in addition to suffering through the sickness and any potential long term effects, merely going to a hospital is financial ruination for the working class here.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

My sister's coworker who works as an X-ray tech in an ER got his Pfizer booster last night and got fuckin rekd apparently, worse than the first dose. Fun.

Think my sister is going to wait and see based on that; she got her flu shot last night instead.

My booster (Moderna 4 months after my Pfizer shots) was roughly the same or slightly worse than my 2nd Pfizer shot. Chills, some overall body aches, and my injection arm was more sore. The worst of the effects were cleared up by the time I woke up the next day, but I was still feeling a little under the weather the next day. About as bad a mild hang over on the 2nd day. Felt fine after that.

My mom got wrecked by the 2nd shot for a few days, but the booster was only one day of feeling bad, so she got it easier. The cspam thread's anecdotal reports mostly agree that the 3 shot is about the same as the 2nd.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

enki42 posted:

How frequent is this though? I don't doubt it happens (it happens to some degree everywhere), but the percentage of the unvaccinated that are going to threaten violence so they can get their precious appetizers definitely can't be everyone who's left unvaccinated, it's a very small sliver. Most places in Canada have said it's fine to call 911 in that circumstance, although I don't have a lot of confidence in cops enforcing vaccine requirements.

Just like with mask mandates, if you have them and have some degree of enforcement that still stops short of getting the true crazies to comply, it's definitely better than nothing and it's not that hard to get to 95% compliance so long it has *some* teeth to it. I've literally seen one person throughout the pandemic that was fully unmasked in a public indoor setting. A lot more dicknoses for sure, but almost never more than 1 per time I go to the grocery store.

You're working at McDonalds for $14/hr, you hate your job because it's horrible in every way. Yet another maskless 300lb dude with a MAGA hat on and no mask walks up to the counter and starts ordering. What do you do?

A: Ask him to put on a mask and risk a confrontation.
B: Get your manager, who will go through this same list from the pov of someone making $21/hr
C: Take the order so he leaves.

This is still our world, so you have knowledge of the fights and shootings that have happened to retail and food service workers over masking confrontations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

smoobles posted:

Round 1 of covid creating widespread polarization around masks and complacency among populations before a much deadlier round 2 shows up is basically the worst possible outcome for covid. Lmao

No, it's great for covid. Covid is in fact doing great, thanks for asking. Covid is also very excited for the upcoming season.

knulla posted:

These vaccines were sold as 100% safe and effective. Phase 3 for all the vaccines are still not complete (despite all the lies saying they are, e.g., here's Biontech's clinical trial study from clinicaltrials.gov: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728), and thus we can't really know what the safety profile is--if you think we can, then you also think FDA phase 3 trials are stupid and unnecessary, which is a strange but fine viewpoint that I'm sure most here hold.

gently caress off.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Allow me to ask an equally honest question, then: why do y'all continue to post in a forum (or thread) that is clearly causing you a lot of frustration, to the extent that you call it "the bad thread" and need to "vent" about it in some other thread? Especially since that other thread apparently provides you with all the information and confirmation and validation you seem to be looking for.

I post in this thread to help people, like with masks or boosters. I want others to be wearing appropriate protection for a deadly airborne pathogen, so I need to let people know how to get n95 or p100 level masks before someone comes in and posts about some great cloth masks they got on etsy. Same for boosters, I was telling people how to get them for themselves back when the CDC was telling people that boosters were unnecessary. Nothing with the science has changed since then, but now that's 4 months later, people can get boosters anywhere. All those 4 months of bureaucratic nonsense accomplished was to reduce people's access to preventive measures, and reinforce that boosters weren't needed, weren't for them, and muddy the already lovely public health messaging waters.

Unfortunately, that means coming in to interrupt a circle jerk of 'Everything is fine!' posters who think the US's seven digit death toll is a great accomplishment, because they want life to be back to 2019. Instead of a classicide against the lower classes who are dying and being maimed as their servants for that return to normality to happen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Cimber posted:

AFAIK masks don't really protect you from other people, masks protect other people from you.

Can you cite some good sources on this?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

killer_robot posted:

Ya know those midwestern middle aged ladies with Really Loud Voices who can't help but bitch about every little ailment that comes their way to the open air in case someone who just might be interested hears about it?

Not so much a 'conversation' as 'unescapable monologue'

So she's also a super spreader.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

My wife and I got back into road cycling this year. So far we have about 700 miles on the bike, with our longest ride being 75 miles. All of those miles have been with Auras on. It's a bit harder to breathe, but I can do max effort sprints, climbing, and long high effort pulls while masked. It does get really swampy in there, and snacks/water can be annoying with waiting to find a section clear of other cyclists. But no COVID, wildfire smoke, or air pollution is nice.

Between the sweat, dirt, and wear from being pulled down for drinks/snack, masks get destroyed in one ride. So we're using up a pile of free 9205s from the time pharmacies were giving away masks. Vented masks would be a LOT nicer, but they're expensive for a single use item.

I would love a good elastomeric respirator that let me displace it enough to eat while keeping my helmet and glasses on.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

I don't wear it much anymore, but I own one of these guys: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000154017/ It has a little lever that pops the mask off your face to your chin without undoing any of the straps. Yank the lever back down and it zoops back up onto your face.

As I was typing that, I realized I was describing the quick latch mask. Gonna watch a few videos and probably give it a shot. At worst it's $40 to add another respirator and filters to my collection.

The latch system would work with a bike helmet and some big sunglasses, right?

The Oldest Man posted:

also, ngl, the 3M elastomerics are way easier to breathe in than Auras, and with the valve setup they don't build up moisture nearly as badly either
I think a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to breathe through p100 filters on a respirator. Between the filter media being accordioned, and valves keeping the fillers dry, they range from comparable to the best n95 on my Honeywell mask to almost indistinguishable from no mask. The secure click pink pouch filters are eerily easy to breathe through. It's slightly alarming for my lungs to feel like I'm unmasked while I have a big chuck of plastic strapped to my face.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Koos Group posted:

I realize I made this probe in error. At first it seemed as though freebooter was not acknowledging that there were rest stops near other cyclists, but now I realize he was talking specifically about the stretches of the cycling where they were on the road and jetz0r was still wearing a mask.

He invented a position that (in his mind) would not require masks, then assumed that was my situation. My local cycling infrastructure is good and popular, so there are plenty of other cyclists and runners around. As i mentioned in my post, it can be difficult for me to find sections clear of other people to take my mask off while riding. Additionally, the nature of road cycling with other road cyclist around involves a lot of impromptu drafting and pace lining with unknown people. I have no control over a paceline passing us, and being able to join those pacelines is an enjoyable part of the sport. Since I have no interest in breathing in the air from the dozens or hundreds of people that we pass or get passed by on our rides, we wear appropriate protective equipment to prevent catching covid from that shared air.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hadlock posted:

3m auras are pretty dang comfortable. I wish the head straps were a little more durable though, like the head straps on the rest of their N95, in particular the yellow fabric stretchy straps used on the 8511

I don't like wearing any mask but a true N95 with behind the head straps is only slightly inconvenient to put on, and breathes really well

Are you using the 9205 Auras with blue rubber band straps, or the 9210 Auras with white woven straps?

The straps on 9205s are only good for a few uses, while the ones on 9210s are good for about the same duration as the rest of the mask. About 30-40 hours of wear over multiple days of light use before something fails or gets worn down enough to replace the mask.

Oracle posted:

My straps just don’t want to stay put on my head. Maybe I just have really slippery hair but I’m constantly readjusting and it’s annoying af.

With longer pandemic hair I had to make a separation in my hair, so the top strap was under my hair and against my scalp. Otherwise the strap would slip or pull weirdly.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

I don't wear it much anymore, but I own one of these guys: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000154017/ It has a little lever that pops the mask off your face to your chin without undoing any of the straps. Yank the lever back down and it zoops back up onto your face.

Uglycat posted:

Get the 650X-QL. The "quick latch." You'll loving love it. I have a 6000 with the MasterVlad mod, a Secure Clique, and a QL.

QL I'd my go-to. So easy (and fast) to don/doff without stretching the elastic or tearing the cradle plastic. I work in a kitchen, and have to be tasting things all day. The QL has kept me safe so far.

Thanks for the suggestion, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Finished up my 3rd ride with a Quicklatch. It's been excellent. I can fuel more often when I don't have to worry about how long it takes to get an Aura back in place. Did 5 hours on the bike today, and the last time I did that, my Aura was literally falling apart by the end from the abuse. This time, the mask performed great. The latching is easy enough that I could drop it down on clear sections of climbs with out worrying about how long it takes to get back in place if someone starts coming downhill towards me.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

PageMaster posted:

How was everyone's new COVID booster for the new variants? I need to get mine and the flu one, but also still need to take care of the kid at home and getting to and from school, so I'm wondering if I want to purposefully plan it around a Thursday or Friday so I can have the weekend if it lays me out.

Shots 2, 3, and 4 all kicked my rear end for a day. Fever, shivering chills, and overall body discomfort. The bivalent booster was about 75% as bad, still had a fever and chills, but no shivering. And my arm didn't get sore, so that was nice.
Edit: Shots were Pfizer #1 & #2, full size Moderna for #3, Moderna booster for #4, Moderna bivalent for #5.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 5, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

incogneato posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but I know I've seen a lot of good mask recommendations in this thread.

My wife is looking for a well sealed mask to bike commute during wildfire smoke (bonus for comfort and breathability). We have KN95s for indoor covid concerns. But I thought I had seen suggestions in this thread about maybe N100 masks that are more comfortable and better sealed (although presumably one way with a valve?).

I was using 3M 9502+ Auras on my bike, which were getting destroyed on each ride. Then I switched to a 3M Quick Latch respirator, with 7093 (rainproof) or 2291 filters. Both those are pure P100 particle filters, you can also get 7093c or 2297 filters for some extra nuisance smell filtration. Those filters a bit harder to breathe through, though. Wildfire smoke smell is mostly caught by p100 filters, unless you're really close to the fire.

I've done 75 mile rides in it during wildfire days, couldn't smell the smoke while wearing the mask, but could smell it when we stopped for a break. The mask's quick latch is very easy to pop down to take a drink and then put back into place, even while wearing a helmet and cycling glasses. In general, it's been a big upgrade to the disposable masks I had been using, in terms of comfort, convenience, and athletic performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What’s really dumb is Safeway charges $32 for the flu shot if you have Kaiser.

If you have Kaiser, you're supposed to use Kaiser for everything.

Sorry about your grocery discount and reward points. :(