Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Crazypoops posted:

this always cracks me up because we absolutely will not

Not with that attitude!

Now lay the risks out and develop a resource plan and strategy for the next 5 years and present it to the board and welp it's in their hand now and sorry the answer is 'review in a year and turn that oil production up' :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i cant believe they invented time travel just to jerk these dudes off

Dudes rock

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

FlapYoJacks posted:

Asking individuals to sacrifice their lifestyles constantly is incredibly draining and annoying when the factory 20 miles away outputs more CO2 in a week than you could in a year, and the government doesn’t give a poo poo about the factory.

Or the watering restrictions on lawns (I wouldn't say I like lawns, but I digress) and shorter showers for the individual, but the golf course down the road gets to use 200,000,000 gallons of water a year so that some rich old assholes can hit a white ball into a hole in the ground.

Woah woah

My factory doesn't generate carbon

It just consumes the power of 2,250 houses to grow weed worse than you would outside for free.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Don't worry, it's just an over-engineered steam engine for soaking up mil dollars

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

FFT posted:

it's not that loving hidden, did you not realize you're in the microplastics thread???

But where does it say it's in soap or shampoo??

I made it for a few years and the amount of processed palm oil products is absolutely disgusting. Tonnes and tonnes of shipping processed oil products and wasting poor countries to subside the costs. The big hang ups were the preservatives, like parabens, but evidence was mixed. Most companies now go for vitamin E and a wide variety of novel poisons that no-one has had time to work up anger over.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

lollontee posted:

where on earth, and how is this poo poo produced anyway?

It's mostly made to support steel manufacturing, so it's a huge industry with most countries producing it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
You'll never guess what RO membranes are made of!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Crow Buddy posted:

I think you mean, for long term storage...

underground...

once they clear out that nasty oil to make room.

I'm sure it'll be used responsibly for things like carbonation of drinks (holds it for weeks to months!) or to grow vegetables (where 5% of it might get held for weeks to months while it gets shipped to consumers, the rest goes back to air).

If it's real lucky it'll go into instrument gas or soda streams and it might be held for months to years

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Harold Fjord posted:

The Ride never stops accelerating.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Well gently caress, that's the best ENSO stuff I've read in years of trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks Tamia!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

jetz0r posted:

Hey that's pretty cool. Guess everything will be perfectly fine. But just wondering, how many of the previous commitments have been kept?

Came here to post that, good news!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Actually this site is way better:

https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/usa/

Lol that current policies and actions predict the US might be on as good a pathway as +3degC by 2030!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Ihmemies posted:

There’s still something left to burn in Australia? I thought they logged all the forests ages ago.

Australian trees are fire, so ufb

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Is this a cool time to remind that 6 sigma is a 1 in million chance with the probability centred?

6 standard deviations to one tail is just under 2 in a billion chance of random in very poor stats language.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hence the very poor stats comment.

Point wasn't that stats are God, they're a reference tool at best.

Point was that for all the 6 sigma lol japes this is even worse.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Xaris posted:

while mostly true in a sense, the problem is applying statistics (and statistical analysis) to temporal data, on a very limited data set with no actual model behind it, is just profoundly wrong. you can't just use stdev() and call it good. you can't just summon up a normal distribution standard deviation.

actually, it's less than wrong: it's meaningless.

data science is hella dumb

Also lol the fuckin graph had the stdev on it man ffs

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Oh yeah, totally agree. Who doesn't love numbering to surety when the application is plain wrong though?

Also soz, just had my old balding head spray painted so a bit tender. That was a new one

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Crazycryodude posted:

Spending half a million dollars piling up a bunch of unstabilized sand instead of doing even the slightest bit of "google the wikipedia page and skim it" level of research on how sand dunes are held together really gives me hope for our ability to successfully adapt to further challenges

I bet they got a quote of $750k for a proper retaining wall, went "hah, my business brain genius knows that's a rip, we could do it with just sand!"

Then spent nearly as much to have it fail in 3 days.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
A lotta goons know a lot about building seawalls

And seem to be cheering on climate change

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

mags posted:

Anthropocene? more like the Nice Age

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Rectal Death Alert posted:

if plants want to be weak and demand a specific temperature range before they'll grow they should just evolve. Fish did and look at them, they are thriving.

Hold on i'm getting a call

Highly evolved fish are destroying the planet and God right as we speak.

What's a highly evolved plant ever done? Live for an ice age or two? Weak.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

SplitSoul posted:

Please, they're called Americans.

lol

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

SixteenShells posted:

for reference, seawater has a dissolved ion concentration of 35 grams per liter, or 35 parts per thousand. 154,000 chloride parts per million is 154 parts per thousand. the wells are creating marshes of water that's more than four times saltier than seawater

edit: probably acidic as gently caress too

lol, assuming sodium chloride that 'water' is a quarter salt

and I bet it's not just sodium

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
14,428? Phftt, That's only just over 15 times the known lethal concentration.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Oh hey, what a coincidence SATELLITE IMAGES TRACK DECLINE OF TASMANIA’S GIANT KELP FORESTS

quote:

statewide coverage of giant kelp that formed dense floating canopies on the water surface was more than 400 hectares in the late 1990s but collapsed to less than 10 ha by 2015.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Have they not considered that, actually, I can just buy another Earth? Idiots.

I'm currently close to closing a sale on a used one but, christ, they won't even pay a fair price for one that's still got 15-20 years left in it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Hubbert posted:

The podcast speaker has a wonderful analogy- imagine you have a larder with over 300 ingredients: don't fret about depletion, the potential combinations are endless!

Just entirely sidestepping the issue, lmao.

edit: sorry for derailing thread, I just love energy :shobon:

Really, when you think about it, the elephant in the room just opens up sitting space opportunities like never before.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Popoto posted:

what's the ppm number again where cognitive functions decline abruptly?

Over 5,000 but I have faith

E: some articles reckon 1,000, so we should get the mission accomplished banner ready

Pidgin Englishman has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
We all ready have protected cropping, battery chicken farms, and RO desalination plants - problem solved.

Just a few more GWh per cucumber and bam, all that economy safely indoors.