Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
front row seats to the big party!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
we must comply with the federal court order to suck our own dicks and balls

alas, those are the rules

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

Planet of the Humans is definitely on my to watch list after going to its Wikipedia page.

So I read this and saw that they cited three sources. That's their 'large body of literature'. Hmmm.... well 3 sources isn't exactly a large body, I think to myself. I routinely read papers that cite 5, 6, 7 or more papers. Things where you say "a large body of literature[23-31]".

Well anyway let me check these sources, I think. Maybe they are literature reviews that themselves will contain the citations needed to constitute a "large body of research"!

Huh, here's source 25...

Hm, The Guardian. Well maybe the next one will be an actual research paper. Source 26, coming up...

Hm, "Inside Climate News". That sounds trustworthy? I guess? Well let's check source 27.

Huh, this one doesn't actually have a publisher listed, it's just an author and a title? Well there's a link, let's click it.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/05/michael-moores-planet-of-the-humans-documentary-peddles-dangerous-climate-denial/

Oh okay, it came from Yale. Well, Yale! That's a respectable place!

Actually clicking and reading any of these articles is rage inducing. It's worse than that horrible D&D post I posted a few days ago. Here's a paragraph from the Yale paper:

Just the most disgusting poo poo you've ever read. And where are the loving citations!? WHERE IS THE loving BODY OF RESEARCH, WIKIPEDIA?

Wikipedia is such a loving insane biased ideological lovely website, god drat.

e: the best part of that Yale blog post is that there is a picture of the author who is, you guessed it, a white man.

e2: on wikipedia lovely blog posts that are hosted on yale's servers count as a "body of research". GOD DAMMIT I HATE WIKIPEDIA THIS HAS MADE ME SO ANGRY!

what i got out of this film was that renewables are in no way currently in a state where they need to be and that sucks because it's true. organizations / papers who criticize the film for climate denialism are pretty much exactly who are being criticized in the film lol

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

royally sponsored study on what could potentially counteract climate change

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Unless posted:

“massive population reduction”

“life after fossil fuels will look like life before fossil fuels, there are many, many, silver linings to this”
was this recorded? would like to watch but it was a bad time for me

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Unless posted:

it was. whole thing was a zoom, and the event host was professor Kate booth, I sent her an email, will probably see them after this weekend

can you share if you get access

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
who doesn't like t shirt weather

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Raine posted:

sci-fi novel idea:

we discover a perfect habitable planet 6,000 light years away

FTL travel invented

we abandon earth on a mass exodus to save humanity

as we get closer to our last hope, the composition of the atmosphere changes as the light years decrease

we arrive to a dead, toxic planet. ruins of an alien civilization cover the surface

this kind of like children of time

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Ham Cheeks posted:

all of it, the town is literally on fire and people are evacuating

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire town

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

???????????? what

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

i recalculated this with the full dataset instead of just the mean from 91-2010. conclusion is the same.

i think he used 91 because 89 was the first year with more complete data / more measurements.

Blowdryer has issued a correction as of 13:56 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Microplastics posted:

love 2C it happen