Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikxuaw5Xaiw

Saw this in a movie theatre, and alternated between lol that's some no effort feel the grass, and gently caress you banks you not funding carbon would make more of minor difference, to internally singing gently caress you lol lmao to somewhere over the rainbow.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Place holder for glorious china 888 future collapse stuff. Sneak peak:

* lack of drinking water for 300 million in the northern plain.
* shanghai, tianjin and other cities going under water from rising sea levels
* elderly population boom and pop decline

Nice case would be Japan's lost decades

Ironic case electric kmt warlord period

Air will be cleaner though, as the infrastructure hits it 30 year chabadore limit.

Thanks for reading!

BCR has issued a correction as of 10:58 on Sep 15, 2022

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

A goldie oldie.

https://www.floodmap.net/

We're on track so far for 1 metre sea level rise every 10 years. You can punch in 3 or 4 metres and have a look at your new surroundings.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

European drought continues.

500 year old hunger stones showing

Europe. Lack of snow, future melt water.

Hello summer 2023!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I checked the wiki, it's really measured in tone but like 50% of human cases are fatal

"Although mammals, including humans, had become infected with H5N1 bird flu strains in the past, it had ostensibly been caused by direct exposure to infected birds, such as through consumption of birds by wildlife or exposure to infected poultry by farmers. In contrast, the October 2022 mammalian outbreak of H5N1 on a Spanish mink farm appears to have been the first recorded case of mammal-to-mammal transmission, with 4 percent of the farm's mink population dying from haemorrhagic pneumonia.[99][100] The mink respiratory tract is particularly well suited to act as a pathway of viral transmission into humans, which has concerned public health professionals due to all but one approved flu vaccine being reliant on the eggs of chickens, which H5N1 kills at a 90-100 percent fatality rate.[101] Infected mink in Spain were also found to have exhibited the "PB2" viral mutation found when H5N1 jumped into pigs over a decade prior, adding to fears that farms could be acting as incubators and/or reservoirs of the virus, similar to the role of minks in SARS-CoV-2.[99]

As of January 2023, fifteen species of wild and captive mammals had become infected with H5N1 throughout the United States.[102]"

"Several H5N1 vaccines have been developed and approved, and stockpiled by a number of countries, including the United States (in its National Stockpile),[6][7] Britain, France, Canada, and Australia, for use in an emergency.[8]

Research has shown that a highly contagious strain of H5N1, one that might allow airborne transmission between mammals, can be reached in only a few mutations, raising concerns about a pandemic and bioterrorism.[9]"

The text is so bad. Academics can't communicate. I thought gently caress you wiki. Here's a plain English translation.

quote:

Bird flu kills 90 to 100% of chickens. This is a big problem. All but one of vaccines use chicken eggs to grow.

In the past mammals (including humans) were infected with H591 bird flu. The majority caught it from eating the birds or working with them on farms.

In October 2022 a Spanish mink farm recorded the first mammal to mammal transmission. 4% of the mink farms population died. Minks are a new way for sharing the bird flu with humans. Infected mink has the same mutations as pigs with bird flu. They can now act as a reservoir for bird flu.

15 species of wild animals have become infected with bird flu.

Vaccines are being stockpiled for use in an emergency.

In a few mutations time there could be airborne transmission between mammals.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

TACD posted:

https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/1632736902209044480

faster!

faster!

FASTER!!

the mental whiplash you get from reading the sheer level of doom we’re at vs the mandatory copium sprinkled throughout is really something, I highly recommend it

:laffo:

Well thats a lol and lmao from me.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Microplastics posted:

It's not on any of the torrent sites I use, but someone offered to PM a magnet link to goons. Search my post history in this thread to find who it was.

On the show: very very good, though it all seems a bit of a sudden collapse (the kind that would take the compete sudden stoppage of fuel into the country) which I can imagine only possible in wartime (and even then, countries usually manage to keep the fuel flowing).

Also it's not explain why every nuclear reactor suddenly needs manual cooling. Pretty sure they generate their own power to run the cooling pumps and can't you just lower the control rods if you wanna shut the reactors down for a while?

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/the-collapse

Here's the link. You might need to set up an account.

I like the supermarket, fuel station and the retirement home episodes the most. The rest didn't really grab me.

BCR has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Mar 22, 2023

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It really does look like this will be the year for millions to die in wet bulb events. I hope not but just lol, lmao at everything. :negative:

While its still up and free.

The Collapse TV show.

Random mitigation thoughts.

Energy revolution in Cuba. Pioneering for the future?

Low tech living.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Today I've been working with maps and info graphics and had 5 min.

Hydrographic world map.

Wet bulb world map.

Impacted countries.

It's great that the world waterways, where 2/3 of the world's population is, will have wet bulb events that kill millions and become uninhabitable. Could be a billion on the move.

Not news for the thread. Wanted to do something with the horror rather than talk sport results and how I should try banana and mayonnaise sandwiches.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Just popping in to say I feel like Sarah Connor in the terminator doing a checklist of training for my kids as the new world is born

☑ leadership training
☑ community organizing
☑ throne surrounded by solar panels to be sun king

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2023-06-01/health-report-card-for-the-planet-science-boundaries/102405754

Many things worse, faster than expected.

Capital going for a hold my beer moment.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I read the 'learning to die in the anthropocene ' mentioned above.
It's a quick read. The trip report is:
Here's a list of disasters that will soon befall us. Arms and violence behind a movement or community is key. Writer gave the example of civil right movement in the US. We've got to live as so we're dead like in a samurai book or gilgamesh. And try to save our knowledge inheritance as best you can.

It was ok as a rehash of what we talk about here. I felt it could have been written simpler and more focused.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Champion!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I prefer to adapt the classics.

How did you collapse the climate?

Slowly then suddenly.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Stereotype posted:

also all the coral is dead

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Talking with a middle-aged doctor about treatment for a family member. Unprompted they start talking about how there's so much disruption, shortages and a slow healthcare collapse. The punchline is there are no longer alternative medicines for many things. There's no option Bs. I was tempted to say it's okay doc it's just the end of this world. Instead went with 'do what you can do, and don't worry about what's out of your hands'.

Ambivalent about whether should have leaned into the 'end of the industrial world' and there's more of this coming. Or been more comforting to a low-key distressed human being. I hate advertising and its messages forced on me. Wasn't up for spreading the doom gospel today.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Soggy Muffin posted:

Societal collapse will definitely accelerate once all these higher skilled professional types with decent nest eggs wise up that there might not be much time left. My uncle Dr retired months into when Covid hit, primarily because of it, and he’s only 63. I don’t blame him one bit.

But yeah I never speak about doomer poo poo in public, I keep that toxic poo poo strictly to internet communities

It will definitely snowball. As we build parallel societies and mutual aid to be present a bit longer we'll need to have these conversations.

Sometimes I enjoy a bit of old testament righteous certainty. Even though it comes across as this.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I like this article ok doomer linked to for historical doom context.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/when-the-sky-ran-dry/

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

err posted:

im halfway through parable of the sower and its a pretty good climate change book. walls around LA suburbs, people using freeways as sidewalks, and slaves working in desalination plants

Parable of the Sowers a good book. I'd leave the parable of the talents. Its more post post apocalypse with an undeserved happy ending.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Sunny Side Up posted:

i didn't really get it until a reread but i think Talents is crucial because it shows you can't actually escape. at the end of the first book all she did was recreate the walls her father had around his suburban development (she just put distance between herself and the problem. you have to deal with the problem head on.

and while on my first read i thought the religion stuff was a strange turn, it was a way to advocate for organization and agitation without being explicit about her politics.

Something I hadn't thought of. Hammers in the children following in their fathers footsteps then.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

smoobles posted:

yeah it's not realistic. werent sea levels like 400 ft higher last time the atmosphere was this CO2 rich?

edit: lol good news, New Orleans is perfectly safe at 10ft sea level ries.

Well that's 70 meters and you can go hog wild to 400 meters with this:

https://www.floodmap.net/

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

SimCity what's this disaster do vibes.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

So I thought this might help with the different things going on.

This is a list of $100 worth of stuff that will help when a weather event is going on. There are lists of storm or fire stuff online from state governments and the Red Cross. Mine is from living through a couple of flood events and at the time living on $10 a day. There was also the chance I would have my stuff stolen. I was living in a share house with 20ish people from a range of backgrounds. So this was all stuff that I could lose if need be and not be too upset.

It has its limitations. I don’t think it will be very comfortable. It may be more comfortable than an evacuation centre. Heat domes are pretty much going to be find AC, stay in the shade, drink water. Its not going to be a long term solution if infrastructure really breaks down. That would come from being part of a group or community and giving and receiving mutual aid.

With that said:

3 x 20 litre buckets - $24

1 x toilet seat - $10

1 x 50 trash bag roll - $10

1 x 2.5 litre plain bleach - $5

1 x box-cutter - $3 (for a few more dollars, the cheapest generic multitool would be handier)

1 x single canister gas camping stove - $25

1 x 4 pack of butane canisters - $6

1 x LED torch with battery - $3

1 x duct tape - $4

1 x 5kg bag of rice - $7

1 x peanut butter jar - $3

For $100 total.

Different things may be cheaper where you are. I could also store all this in 2 of the buckets and not take up too much space.

The thinking behind it.

1) Toilet seat, 1 of the buckets and a trash bag makes a toilet. In the floods and a couple of rain events the sewage and water treatment plants went offline in my area. They stayed offline until the waters went down and area cleaned up.

2) Fill the other 2 buckets with water ahead of the storm or event. Tap drinking water if you’re lucky. If there's a bathtub, fill that as well for cleaning or drinking water. To make drinking water you boil at least 3 minutes. Then add 10 drops bleach to 4 litres of water. Stir the water well. Wait 30 minutes before drinking. If its still raining and you have an empty bucket, you can use your trash bags and duct tape to help gather rainwater.

3) The gas camping cooker can boil water and cook. Rice for hot calories. Peanut butter for cold calories. Hopefully you’ve got some condiments around or whats left in the fridge before it goes off.

4) Trash bags. Can make rain coat, cover windows, used in poop bucket, used as a bag. Double bag any clothes or valuables. Keeps them dry and also makes them look less valuable.

Does anyone else have some ideas for a $100 kit?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Couldn't you detach a toilet seat that's already around and use that for the duration of the disaster?

You could do that too. Depends on your circumstances. It would free up some $$$ for something else.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Can't even crank the old school warning siren, but have an app.

https://i.imgur.com/plQoHoB.mp4

Feeling these vibes this morning. lol, lmao. Where next for the climate hammer?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

True but fits the biblical side of things.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

So there's all these personal carbon calculators which were a PR exercise from oil companies. No co2 calculators for nations and industries of course. So grabbed some data from some publications and went 'what could be the first steps for the revolution' ala https://play.half.earth/ and got these numbers.

Going to need a lot of 15 min cities 100 metres above sea level.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm reading prophet song about a fascist government coming to power in Ireland. It really captures being a parent and loving stupid liberal thinking. I'm half way through and it's reality repeatedly bashing against a rules believer.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Be on high ground, clear drains, have a good roof. Easy peasy.

then end up joining the food riots since the 5th atmospheric river this year smashed the crops.

We're all going to get got, it's just by what. Until then, practice community if you can.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It was always birbs. :bird:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

does anyone have the full resolution bdell image? I only have the one with teeth

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

during system collapses, people just keep going to work until something happens to them

and I mean like first someone is gonna complain about prices
then maybe they can't get certain goods
then they lost their job
then they are starving

But the guy over there still with his job? He doesn't care about you and won't freak out

Above in TV form.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

"Hopefully of course it won't be allowed to happen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCxPOqwCr1I&t=91s

It's a magic old friend come to visit. :allears:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Microplastics posted:

Can't remember the last time I had a crack ping.

I tend to get it from passing media things like the water knife or cyberpunk 2077. We're never building archologies. We're not inventing AI and mech workers. How optimistic and naive!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

When you're essentially powerless to do anything about it you either drive yourself crazy posting in the biosphere collapse thread or you ignore it as best you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

where can you watch it online without paying? asking for a friend.

* Have to create a free account tho

BCR has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Mar 28, 2024