Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

This is the map brochure from a music festival, you can't fool me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Microplastics posted:

Is this a boardgame? Christ alive

A very fun one that nobody ever wants to play with me :mad:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

tree law?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

Don't worry! The environment is evolving! It's ok!

I want to become one of the people-hedges, that seemed like a pretty chill way to fit into the new reality

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Idk, capitalism as specifically formulated is probably unique to humans, but between nuclear weapons and fossil fuels it's probably the general process of industrialization and accumulation that does everybody in.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Modern capitalism is a specific product of 16th century Europe, if any economic system that prioritizes extracting value rather than ecological sustainability is "capitalism" then human society has been capitalist since the Bronze Age which is obviously nonsense. We just happen to have rolled capitalism as the dominant economic system at the time when technology allowed us to destroy our entire planet's ecology instead of just Mesopotamia's, the global nature is what's different this time - not the concept of accumulating value for an upper class at the expense of the environment and working classes. A palace economy, or hell - even a 20th century "communist" economy with productivist brainworms! - could have done the same thing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

In all the actually existing "communist" economies in human history, the central planning authorities were also explicitly charged with Number Go Up as their primary goal. You're not gonna convince 1930 GosPlan members that we need to reduce carbon emissions because the polar bears will be sad in 100 years when there's still horse-drawn carts on dirt roads everywhere. Or even 1980 central planners.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm a biologist lmao, I promise the octopuses would also destroy the planet if they lived more than 10 years and invented steam engines. The problem is genes don't give a poo poo about preserving the environment 200 years in the future, they care about eating cheeseburgers and getting laid right now and anything after you nut is pointless to worry about. But the octopuses probably wouldn't do it via robber barons wearing top hats and calling Pinkertons on their striking octopus workers.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah but "collective benefit" in 1850 still means burning all the coal you can dig up to spin more textiles and clearcutting all the forests you can to farm more "waste"land. It doesn't matter if there was a communist revolution in 1848 or whatever, people really like having More poo poo regardless of what economic system they live under because it's a biological imperative. You can fill SOME of that with tricking intelligent social animals into thinking that abstract ideas about solidarity etc. meet their needs better than More poo poo, but I can't imagine any economic system post-agriculture that doesn't extract excess energy from the environment for the benefits of humans because that's what agriculture is, inherently. Everything after that is just the laws of thermodynamics.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

For a bunch of supposed Marxists y'all sure hate being reminded of the material fact that humans were mass slash-and-burning forests and measurably increasing atmospheric carbon content as early as like 8000 BCE

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

turn on ur monitor

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

KSR's Mars trilogy was pretty good for the first half, but you know what it ended with weird multi-centenarian orgies and the world being saved by cool hip surfer capitalists who do capitalism right this time so thinking about it for more than a minute it's maybe not great.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I thought it was Un-loving Believable

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Expecting humans to be around in 250 million years regardless of the continental drift is pretty absurd. Even if you assume we survive the next couple centuries (lol lmao), we've only existed for ~100,000 years and would undoubtedly diverge into some other species given another million or two tops

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah if you just crack ping yourself hard enough you stop needing therapy about it, sure everybody looks at you a little weird at parties but who cares

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah it was somewhere in 2020/2021 for me, for the first three quarters of 2020 I was still smoking a bunch of hopium with Bernie, George Floyd, etc. but that winter and going into 2021 was the real crack-ping moment

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah obviously The King is correct in the long view, but my understanding is there are a bunch of just terrible almost useless lignite coal out there that obviously makes little sense to burn so we mostly haven't yet...but hey, why not.

bedpan posted:

brown coal. low energy value per unit of weight. bulky. dirty. using brown coal is one of the reasons power plants and steel mills would be built directly on or near coal fields. transporting brown coal makes it a loser almost immediately.

It's fine, we'll just coke it at the mine, and then suddenly it's worth transporting again. Might even coke it with microwaves powered by hydroelectricity in some places, not like we'd use that electricity for anything else!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

BUUNNI posted:

uh oh, looks like someone didn't read this book

This is a really good book

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what is going on here

Cracking and pinging

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hubbert posted:

hey thread what is your favourite ecologically unsustainable treat

internet

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Spending half a million dollars piling up a bunch of unstabilized sand instead of doing even the slightest bit of "google the wikipedia page and skim it" level of research on how sand dunes are held together really gives me hope for our ability to successfully adapt to further challenges

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hubbert posted:

what is the most biosphere collapse video game

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with a mod to jack the mindworms' stats and spawn rate up

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You could manipulate the terrain and sea level in that, right? & there was some weird native forest type that had a chance to form like the possibility of a ring of 8 monoliths

Yeah, and the more you developed industry the more the local ecology would try to kill you

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Humanity, at least, will not have to suffer repeated cycles of such awareness. Just one and then blissful nothingness.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ignore_Me posted:

they really ended on the most boring libbrain note with that show, completely forgetting their entire setup. I’m glad a handful of belters got a seat at the interplanetary UN to help continue their own exploitation with #bossbitch energy, but how do you loving forget the entire alien conspiracy angle???

I’m assuming the books were better about this

Yeah the books are written as a trilogy of trilogies/the show made their big final ending at what's actually just the closing scene of Act 2 in the books. Act 3 then goes on to resolve all the "space fascists" and "mysterious aliens in the walls of reality" plot threads left hanging but it would have been even more expensive to do the CGI/sets for and also it doesn't make billionaires look very good so Amazon canned the actual resolution to the story.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ignore_Me posted:

is there an origin to the whole “treats” thing because it’s hilarious and anyone can tell at a glance what sort of mindset it’s patronizing, but I feel out of the loop

Pretty sure it was Matt Christman/a CTH bit in like the late 2010s that took off into popular internet vernacular by 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Rip Testes posted:

Pondering the microplastic composition of the mylar wrapped nacho pump cheese as I gorge on a Velvetta shells family sized box.

Normal people get Annie's Organic Shells and White Cheddar box mac carved fresh off the block at the macmonger instead

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of carbon credits, I've just started reading The Ministry For The Future, which seems like a book the thread might appreciate

I don't know how I feel about all the possible solutions presented in the book so far, like carbon credits on the block chain???, but there are some suggestions here that involve combining suicide drones and billionaires that I am 100% on board with

Ministry of the Future has some fun bits but is ultimately far too optimistic

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Stereotype posted:

all those bikes get left at burning man because it is the only bikeable community in the nation. there’s nowhere else you can reasonably use them, and it’s more expensive to store them for 51 weeks than it is to just buy a new one the next year. that’s way more of an indictment of modern society than it is of the residents of black rock city.

This is a bit, right?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I mean what do y'all think the "purpose" of life is, if not self-replication? This is all just an extremely elaborate way to maximize extant copies of genes. If anything, humanity is winning the ultimate high score and then shutting the game down to make sure nobody can ever take away our #1 slot on the leaderboard, it's the perfect strategy.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Tungsten posted:

anatomically modern humans existed for about 300,000 years and it took the english to arrive at this view

Took a few hundred thousand years to figure out that Neptune and microorganisms existed too, they're not somehow any less real. What's your alternative to a basic axiom of all modern biological theory?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

mags posted:

only capitalism did this poo poo. every other human endeavor was done in a biosphere that could accommodate it. only a handful of rich people with addresses and names, some of which are alive right now, are boiling the seas and killing off the planet. blaming the whole species is just cringy internet nihilism and inherently ecofascist

Not true, human history is full of societies across cultures and continents that exceeded their local ecological limits through a combination of natural climate shifts and human impact, and collapsed/suffered a dieback to sustainable levels in their new ecological conditions. The Bronze Age Collapse in the Fertile Crescent, Angkor Wat, Easter Island, Great Zimbabwe, Cahokia, Harappans, the list goes on and on and on. This isn't some uninformed Reddit nihilism thing, this is the academic consensus among a bunch of very serious anthropologists and paleontologists.

What's different this time is that we're seeing a crossing of ecological limits in the first ever truly global society. Previous societies killed off by ecological boundaries were regionally limited due to smaller populations and less developed technology, now we've grown up enough to kill an entire planet at the same time instead of just different regions of it at staggered times. But this is only a difference in scale, not in kind. Humans have been doing this at least since we invented agriculture - agriculture is inherently a process for redirecting ecological energy and resources towards human ends outside of "natural" cycles after all.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Oldest Man posted:

might as well ascribe purpose to the existence of sand dunes or fire

Well yeah, the purpose of sand dunes is to be a place where windblown sand particles accumulate, the purpose of a fire is to move a system towards entropy via combustion, the purpose of DNA-based life is to maximize copies of its DNA.

If you mean on like a higher philosophical level, then ok there is no purpose to life, or fire, or sand dunes. But I'm speaking in practicalities of how and why, not spiritual philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Can't believe that capitalism made us hunt all the megafauna to extinction with sharp sticks, how had I never considered the bourgeois character of the neolithic hunter?