Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Microplastics posted:

Lol I just bought a chicken to roast and it comes in a plastic bag and apparently I'm supposed to put the whole thing in the oven, bag and all?? :wtc:

post username combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

a strange fowl posted:

the boy is back in town

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NW2djp1nbkE

but it's just a montage of climate clips from this summer

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:popeye:

lmao, don't look up was a documentary

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

Lol just thought about blenders and food processors. gently caress.

hey it could be worse. it could be microwave safe plastic takeout

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

bedpan posted:

pretty much. that and kicking the can down the road regarding climate change.

instead of kicking that can down the road have you considered recycling it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Corsec posted:

I appreciate the attempt, but that is far too cheery and upbeat to satisfy my doomlust. It is lyrically doomer, but not aesthetically doomer. Aesthetically doomer music makes you want to sob bitterly, rather than hum along to the chorus.

there are two genres of doom music: one where you :crackping:, and one where you :rubby:

these are the latter

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ughhhh posted:

It always confused me as a child in Nepal when yogi bear was on TV and the American families would drive straight into the national parks and have a picnic. In my child mind, national parks were just like in Nepal where it was just a big protected area where there really was no road access, devoid of human infrastructure.

we should rename them to national theme parks, where the theme is "outside, but there's no internet"

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

does that tech exist. can i poo poo on a computer and make bitcoin come out

you have to eject the CD tray first

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Puppy Burner posted:

I'm gonna learn to fiddle

if you don't have the time, you can also help with moving the deck chairs

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

the French version of this film was way better than the international version

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiKKxIsSLM

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

won't somebody think of all those small international resorts

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Seatbelts posted:

Pinned against an abandoned McDonald's drive thru by wind gusts watching a 2026 Tesla Cybertruck sail through the air towards me in the last moments I think "love the car"

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Joe is gonna cure* cancer by the end of his term

* cure defined as "no cases of cancer will be detected** in the United States of America"

** access to cancer detection available only to qualified high risk applicants with pre-existing health conditions who have opened a business in a disadvantaged area for three years

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cold on a Cob posted:

beginning to think people with skill and talent in their fields might not always have the best insight or opinions outside of their narrow scope of knowledge

poo poo, does this mean the captains of industry we collectively worship might actually be idiots?

no no this can't be right

lol even people in adjacent fields or the actual field in question can have some real bad takes when money, ideology, career, or just stubbornness are on the line

see: COVID

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

celadon posted:

but no its just this bizarre fatalism and an assumption that we cant do anything at all if its a natural cycle.

have you considered that doing anything at all will cost money that could otherwise add to the number in my bank account? thought so

it's not like it'll affect me. I'll just pay someone to insulate me from the effects, and I'll be long gone by the time the worst happens

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

idk if I were in a train car that was being flooded with water I would try to leave before sharing my photos of the water with friends

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

smoobles posted:

i'm seeing reports that the biosphere has succumbed to liver failure, aged 56?

quote:

The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire, how about yours?
That's the way I like it and I never get bored

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

who wants to be a bdellionaire

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Microplastics posted:

Gummy bears? What the gently caress.

I've never looked at a wind turbine and thought "mmm I could really go for a bag of those"

I would love a bag of miniature wind turbines. Glue em to my bicycle and generate enough power for a light or something

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I like the formatting

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

getting high on particulates and strange gases coming out of the earth below

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

I used to be in Florida more than I'd like to visit friends and my impression was always that it's a really special kind of hell. They lived out in a suburb near Jacksonville and it was a twenty minute drive through crazy tangles of suburban streets to get loving anywhere. How the gently caress can you have a highly developed area with houses crammed right on top of each and everyone is still magically a twenty minute drive away from a loving supermarket?

15 minute city but everything is precisely 14-16 mins away via driving directions

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

1.5 degrees, pfft, that's nothing

only 0.02617994 radians

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

so were we using the amazon rainforest for anything important or

yeah that's where they built the amazon carbon capture and oxygen fulfillment center

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Bdel Bdelverstein

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Maed posted:

it's to scare you into thinking that the perfidious savages are making cocaine from gasoline and killing Americans on purpose, it's not crude oil it's just a solvent

can't wait for my local laundromat to start refining stolen crude oil

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Hubbert posted:

all my capes, gone :(

gah these stupid capes. so much fabric

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

1glitch0 posted:

The government is going to build a functioning pipeline in the next 20 days despite currently not even knowing where the money is going to come from?

how much money do they need? just pop on down to the local Lowe's and get a 100,000 foot hose

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Car Hater posted:

How much fresh water does hosting the forums consume

0 mL, it's running on an old desktop from 2006 in Jeffrey's garage

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

number

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

It's more likely that we're going to absolutely annihilate "normal" weather patterns and be left with a choice between two wildly unstable and unpredictable climate regimes and no one will be able to settle on "just stop doing it" as the right answer until we've killed a shitload of people.

just feebly saying "our climate relief efforts have created tens of thousands of jobs" as our federal infrastructure slowly shrivels under the weight of the gerontocracy and private equity sucking the corpse dry

I doubt that people in charge will take notice until it starts impacting them directly when they can no longer insure real estate and Tahoe loses all its snow for multiple years

still it'll take time; even the current shortage of labor is driving business crazy but they're not attributing things to the effects of the ongoing pandemic or the out of control price spiral

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shyrka posted:

I watched that video about mass extinctions and got to the punchline and just felt very sad. I was expecting another layer but it never came.

:same:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

what if we tricked the number worshippers into thinking the global temperature deviation is actually a bad number, like "amount of leftists in power" or "wages"

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Dokapon Findom posted:

What's a UFB???

not much what's ufb with you

(probably "ultra loving bad" but swearing is banned on twitter)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Pingui posted:

What does "neutral shipping" mean?

you have to send something back in the box

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

i find it interesting that chinese state media always uses kilowatts instead of megawatts or gigawatts. not sure if it is a translation thing or a more intentional choice

they're also measuring kWh per year which may just be an accounting thing to adjust for variable load or marketing to make big number. Chinese also denominates large numbers by 10,000 (and 100,000,000).

1e9 kWh per year is roughly 115MW, which isn't actually that big for a nuclear reactor. 3 of 5 of the Fukushima reactors had 760 MW operating capacity

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Nov 3, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

good lord

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

swamp thong posted:

im working on making it so the seeds can only grow when sprayed with company approved chemicals

First Farmer, can you vouch for the licensing of your crops?

We pledge our loyalty to Monsanto, from now until death.

Then receive this reward from Bayer, may your stalks grow tall.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we ALREADY produce food with a magical technology

all hail commodity futures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

bezos was born rich and sold books but on the internet. because of this he flies around on a private jet and has a for funsies space company in a time of human-caused environmental collapse. he doesn't know poo poo about gently caress

what about his gallivanting around Hollywood and (alleged) copious consumption of bodybuilding drugs