Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone here besides me actually lived in a dome

I lived in a dome home for a couple years, all I can say is triangle windows bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/shrimpinmyeyes/status/1438888231324553216

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I knew permafrost melt was theorized to release methane deposits but I didn't know they would come in the form of giant explosions
https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1443051176371658753?s=20

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only state worse than Florida wrt climate change is Louisiana

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MightyBigMinus posted:

if gen z sucks as hard as boomers have then we don't have to worry about the 'future ones' part

no way gen z is anywhere near as bad as boomers, gen x maybe tho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

~smol~ nuclear war. and then it just stops.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

from bad thread

quote:

Climate Deniers Shift Tactics to 'Inactivism'
After detailing the systematic efforts to block action on climate in the book, you say that you are optimistic. What makes you hopeful?

We’re not going to get a Green New Deal, not from this Congress. But we might get a climate bill that involves market mechanisms, as well as incentives. President-elect Joe Biden is pretty pragmatic on this. He’s appointed John Kerry [as special presidential envoy for climate], who is capable of pulling that off. I think we’re headed toward some kind of market approach to dealing with climate.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rutibex posted:

they are not climate deniers. most of them are too old, they will be dead before they experience any consequences

its not that they dont understand, its that they dont care

also for their children and grandchildren they probably figure they have enough money that they'll do fine

pelosi is worth like 100m lol (because of her husband)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

When I met with Thompson and Kobaly in the desert, they told me they’re not trying to shut down the golf industry, and I’m with them on that. There’d be no Palm Springs without golf, just as there would have been no Rat Pack without Sinatra. The industry employs several thousand people, drawing hordes of snowbirds and pumping as much as $1 billion into the local economy.

lmfao what a bitch

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

very normal 80 degree October day here in Minneapolis

Real hurthling! posted:

my dads big into it. complains every year about the "winter greens" being lovely for putting

show him the george carlin bit on golf

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I thought peak oil already happened? at least for crude

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know anything about these bills

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/10/climate/climate-action-congress.html

If I have to have keep owning a car an EV would be cool, but honestly gently caress cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the people in the comments who don't understand why manchin and synema will vote against it are hilarious

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

^^ no editor's picks on this one lol

someday we will find out!!! by someday I mean uh, last year?

quote:

Maybe it’s not ineptitude.
I believe it is deliberate sabotage perpetuated for power and profit.
Manchin and Sinema are not Democrats.

Let’s make sure we remember that Cinema has asked for $100 billion in cuts off of the climate section of the reconciliation package because, as Sanders pointed out this weekend, she is receiving donations (also known as bribes everywhere else on earth) from oil and gas companies. The President and Pelosi should already be announcing their plans to run primary challengers against her and Manchin and any other Democrats that are resisting this legislation. Their political careers have to be brought to an end in short order for not falling in line. This couldn’t be more serious, and the Democratic leadership needs to start to act like it.

THE TRUTH: Manchin and Sienna are Republican plants who snaked their way in with the claim they’re “moderates”. Someday we’ll find out these two cynical narcissists did it all for the money and power.

I hope Senators Manchin and Sinema realize they have this sacred responsibility. If they get their way and this does not pass, then they need to realize that their 'win' means that world is likely to start crashing down around our ears economically and ecologically inside the next two decades. Then all their concerns about spending will look even more ridiculous and deeply tragic than they do now, the human suffering will be immense and (maybe this will motivate them) their names will live forever in infamy.

Since Manchin and Sinema are quite obviously motivated by money, perhaps Bezos, Zukerburg, Gates and Soros (maybe a few other billionaires) can call a secret meeting with them. Fly ‘em out to a private luxury island and give them the option of some ungodly amount in a secret offshore account in exchange for their vote on the legislation and the end of the filibuster. Sure it’s awful, but nothing else seems to have any effect on them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there data somewhere showing current change relative to pre-industrial by region, state, etc.? I know areas are already at +2C, like parts of the New Jersey coast

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

well I don't have children, don't really fly, I have a car but only drive 2k miles/year, and don't eat meat

I would still take some oxytocin though :p

and yeah imagine the chud reaction to the meat thing hahahaha

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Basic Poster posted:

Lmao Florida

how are there no Louisiana cities in there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is china seriously not on there they burn coal like crazy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

the key part is "their fair share", China is enormous so they get an accordingly enormous share. They're putting out a lot of heat but not more than they were budgeted for, unlike everyone else in that chart

It's why Belgium outranks them on that chart even though Belgium is a tiny fraction of China

hmm good point good point

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

today in minneapolis the high was 80 degrees and we are <50% peak colors lmao (typically the peak season should end oct 15)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why don't you just not post in the other thread :confused:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what's the best response to "people have said peak oil is coming for 20 years and we are still producing more each year?"

also they will sometimes say that methods are getting more efficient, sophisticated, whatever, so there's no way to know if/when it will happen

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

obesity rates weren't anywhere nearly as high even 40 years ago. when did the PFAS stuff start?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kater posted:

lol love to feel uncomfortable getting a glass of water

I enjoy my water filter

KaptainKrunk posted:

1) conventional oil peaked in 2007; we're plateauing right now
2) fracking was an entirely subsidized, QE, geopolitical play that failed. All the good spots are sucked up and the industry has no will or desire to grow even if it could.
3) Saudi Arabia and Russia exaggerate their production capacity by counting drawdowns from inventories as excess production capacity.

the first graph here shows conventional peaking in 2018

http://crudeoilpeak.info/latest-graphs

I'm also wondering if the area were production peaks necessarily means peak oil, just because the amount produced is also related to the total demand. It's not necessarily the absolute maximum that can be extracted right?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ever notice how all the heavily plasticked advanced and Westernized regions are the ones becoming very fat and also having plummeting birthrates?

I'm not saying the plastic stuff is or isn't the main cause, but a lot of things have also changed in the last 50 years besides the increase in PFAS. Sedentary lifestyles have become much more common, and portion sizes have gotten much bigger.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Oct 21, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that approaching collapse forum is cool, not sure if I fully agree with her arguments for a one child standard

"cultures throughout history have recognized the need to control population size"

but nothing anywhere close to this scale, and the fact that they did doesn't make it right. I don't see how you can believe in reproductive freedom going one way (abortion) but not the other (choosing to produce a child). also what would you even do globally to women who had >1 children exactly?

"it's not discrimination because it's being applied to all people" (paraphrase)

but people in some parts of the world have an actual need for >1 children, i.e. more of the developing world. And also these people are contributing the least to climate change. To me the one child standard makes sense more for "first world" industrialized countries where there is less need for multiple children, and also these are the people that are producing the most carbon. A child from the US is much more harmful than from say, Bangladesh

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the book "salt sugar fat" talks about how poo poo like cheetos was developed

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Miami Beach Above Water Tree Census 2050:

One (1) Large Palm Tree
Six (6) Small Mangrove
One (1) Skeleton Arm Poking Out of the Sand Giving a Thumbs-Up

Success!!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm so loving tired of people at work having kids and we have to pretend to be insanely happy for them instead of just screaming

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TACD posted:

you should buy them a card. get one of the ones that plays a jingly tune one time before it gets thrown away

you open the card and it's that warp drive thing from event horizon

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It's unbelievably really weird how so many folks are intent on arguing that the world will be worse in the future. Like, if that's your take on humanity then I guess you might as well start investing in coal.

that's just reality not sure what you're on about

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what is the L.A.T.T.E. model

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah i heard about that literally blood and gore lmfao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tell your mom buy me blood and gore assets, or go to helllllll

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there's nothing wrong with living in a rural area if you absolutely need to, i.e. a farmer or w/e

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

big day today, COP26 will announce all Halloween costumes must be made out of recyclable materials

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I saw some dumbass comment in the NYTimes about US carbon emissions going down by 40% since 1970, which is obviously lol, but uh... am I missing something here? they certainly have gone down, at least per capita.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

please tell me he immediately poo poo his pants on stage after this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

these countries are all going to need to be evacuated sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

someone posted that slime mold obesity thing a few pages back, I didn't see him mention much about HFCS, which began showing up in foods in the late 1970s, right before that big 1980 spike he points out. This is one of the biggest things Robert Lustig blames for the obesity crisis - also around 1980 is when the whole "low fat" thing started, and fats were replaced with sugars.