Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
alternate art version

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

LifeLynx posted:

It's probably nothing, but has anyone else remembered that Lorwyn/Shadowmoor also had its main plot point be something messing with the day/night cycle?

yeah but it was more seasonal than daily

"it becomes "x" when this comes into play" kinda doesn't work there, it's too sudden, you'd have to do a longer interval or simply state "on turn 1 to 5 it's day, and night ever after" or something

and then make it interesting by allowing you to prolong day or increase night or whatever

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Mike Mearls made Magic Missle cost three mana? :argh:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Is there any budget friendly/fun modern decks out there that you can show up to FNM and not go 0-4 with?

Our shop is opening up and only doing Modern FNM's for now and as someone who doesn't follow the format is it even worth shelling out $100/$150 just to have something fun to play?

edit oh modern lol no idea

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sickening posted:

Sleep better at night knowing that that Mark has basically no say on if the reserved list is ever abolished.

whyt if you sold your poo poo right loving now and then they print 50cent duals?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

AlternateNu posted:

Luminous Mothra card with Power Conduit is my favorite janky combo that came out of Ikoria. It’s like a better undying/persist.

Power Conduit gets better with every new gimmick with counters, it's great

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just picked up what I believe was a very cheap MH2 bundle box at a games expo (£36 I think) just as a little treat. Naturally I open Kaldra Compleat, the main big-ticket card from the set that I had already bought as a single.

But how does rarity distribution work for the set? I opened a pack with two rares, neither are foil or alt art as far as I know. Another had one rare and four uncommon, I think one of those might have been the sketch version

MH2 packs have one slot for a special card like sketch, borderless or retro reprint (its where you get fetchlands from)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

begging for money is not a grift, it's like the opposite lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

man crokeyz talks a big game but he sure seems to fold under pressure when he receives the slightest bit of of grief or actually participates in a Big Kid tournament (came in tied for last place at MC 7 off his freebie invite)

who care

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
"a new token" doesn't have to mean new mechanics

just like there is Gold, Treasure and Etherium Cells that all do the same thing they could also just make a Food token and rename it just for this set

call it "Offering", make the art creepy, and WALLA nothing is broken

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Abisteen posted:

I learned Magic via Arena and have never played paper. My girlfriend is interested in trying the game and I think it would be fun to play some kitchen table magic with her since she doesn't play games on PC very much.

Considering I can play standard on Arena and don't care much about deck power level for paper, what's my best bet for having a good time learning the paper game with someone? Should I just buy a bunch of basic lands and a bulk box of cards and we just build a couple of decks from that? Should I buy some packs and see what we end up with?

isn't Jumpstart exactly what you need?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Sorin is very strong

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

:same: but i'm a little sad there's so few frogs, and I don't think any frogs care about self-mill

the shapeshifters from Kaldheim?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Cleave is just such a bad word for what it does, like mentioned earlier Hack would be better.
Another ugly thing I noticed: reminder text on mythics. Ew.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

Time Warp with set mechanic is the new Shock with set mechanic.

What was the last Shock with set mechanic anyway? Wild Slash? I'm defining a Shock as R for 2 damage that can go face.

I mean theres also always Lightning Bolts with set mechanic drawback possible (like last set)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mike N Eich posted:

Has there ever been a red aggro deck that wanted a time warp effect like that to just give themselves an extra combat phase/opportunity to cast burn to finish off opponents or is that just way too niche?

I only know of combo decks that back in the day tried to shoehorn it in, was a terrible idea obv

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it's just another terrible name, just leave the ",Partners" out! it's safe for prudes and we all have imaginations!!!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

I will not rest until they are named "Halana and Alena, They Fuckin~"

that's the Playboy Secret Lair

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Paul Zuvella posted:

Normal people: Wow this card is so cute

Goons: This card where two women, who are described as partners, stare lovingly into eachothers eyes is not gay enough.

exactly, it isn't, problem?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

What card from this set should have been mythic instead?

faster actual legend makes bigger bodies that fly and is as tanky as her

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
no hexproof! only aura!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Strong Sauce posted:

Uhhhh seems pretty crazy?

yeah if you're a Timmy maybe

heh, poo poo garbage 50 cent rare, wait I'm getting new information...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
edit I was wrong about the Hydra my bad

also magic rules and mechanics are amazing: here are a million words for "all containers in LA gain Cumulative Upkeep $100"

https://twitter.com/typesfast/status/1454866705126072321

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
oh nyooo D:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

love the art

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

neaden posted:

They forgot to put until end of turn on Blood vial Purveyor.

you could read it as "until it isn't attaking anymore" but that would be new

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Framboise posted:

You can technically needle any valid card name.

Whether or not that actually does anything, though...

yes the joke is that naming the Blood half of that card needles the Blood token as well, you can't needle tokens otherwise

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I just now got what vibes I was getting from Purveyor: he feels like an oldschool Djinn or Efreet (only back then the third ability would have been a bonus for the opponent too)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
another "you can't counter anymore, here is some fuckton of value"

me likey

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

great callback to that black removal with the guy without arms and legs

edit

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 3, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also I thought Hexproof was replaced by Ward, or do Mythics break those kinda rules

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TotalHell posted:

He’s a spoiler for the next “Un-“ set, Unlikable.

ooooo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
odric went from badass to the dude who brings the badass his blood sixpack

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
run baddog.exe

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Eej posted:

otoh I don't think you need to reveal your personal health information to randos on the internet who have never interacted with you personally and are just looking to dunk

vaccination isn't a personal health status, it's a communal health status

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the real bonus and reason to buy a bundle is the box itself

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Strong Sauce posted:

doesn't this kinda exist already with pixie guide? granted you can't choose which die to ignore with that card

yes and Barbarian Class, the other Thumb would be really nice as an upgrade for that Commander deck

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mandatory lesbian posted:

Famously, green is the color of going into the wilds, clearing it, and building a house

ever since AFR I feel like complaints like this are pointless

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
this would have been great in paper :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A big flaming stink posted:

"vivisect" would have been an infinitely better keyword than "cleave." both more evocative and flavorful

the only way I see Cleave being a rational choice, is if the word itself needed to be as short as possible, so they were left with only bad choices