Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/AEMarling/status/1440324846450135056

I personally will be holding LSV and Marshall accountable for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

both this event and SCG Con are now requiring Vax proof / negative tests. Magic tourneys are back.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

what was the last good cat card?

Felidar Guardian took a bullet because it was easily abused due to its timing but I don't think it's a good card.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
There are more broken cats than I realized

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

1. With Croaking Counterpart, I can copy a Jadar, Ghoulcaller without getting hit by the Legendary Creature rule, right?
2. If the above is true, do I get 2 2/2 decayed zombies at the beginning of my endstep?

The copy will be Legendary so it will get hit with the rule.

edit: I always remember this because there are copy cards that specify the copy is Non-legendary to get around this rule like Spark Double.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
If I were WotC I would simply ban the reserve list in Commander, the format they absolutely control, and not touch EDH, the format they have no influence over whatsoever.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I grabbed some very nice Eldraine Adventure Themed fetch lands for a cube a while back, A+ would recommend spending $30 instead of $300 for my personal cubing use on I guess what are technically Playtest cards.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah somebody went through the huge file and pulled the magic streamers they recognized and posted on reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/q2jcvv/twitch_earnings_got_leaked_here_are_what_some/

Also CovertGoBlue did a very good video on it as well which is just very transparent behind the scenes look at Twitch and YouTube monetization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DtTwGFwcQs

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok I know Rudy has come up several times before and I've said he wasn't so bad. But I need someone to come on here and explain how him bilking $1.3 million from his patrons for literal nothing is defensible in any way whatsoever.

What's the story behind this?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

^^^^^ I don't see anything objectionable about that at all. He sells sealed product at prices people are willing to pay, cheaper than retail. It's the pump and dumping insinuating you're getting in on the ground floor of some also-ran game that gets me.

Yeah sorry I should have gone in to it but I'm so incensed.

So, he was an early partner with the manufacturer of flesh and blood. So my understanding is he partnered with them to get a vanity card referring to himself made as a thank you? Non tournament legal. Then he got 1500 copies, put them in a secret lair style box, and offered them for fomo sale for $1k each, for 24 hours, promising to keep 10 for his family and destroy the rest publicly. He framed it as a public experiment to see whether people would reject it, making it rarer, and thus more valuable.

But at the end of the day he sold like 1300 of them for 1.3 million, and they are totally pointless pieces the equivalent of art cards. It's astounding really.

I mean, this is the kind of behavior that draws people to Flesh and Blood. I'm incredibly disappointed with a number of Magic influencers who have been pushing that game (as well as the ones who switched to crypto/nft poo poo) but I expect this stuff from Rudy and Flesh and Blood.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

I watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I have no real idea how the game works, I was only able to pick up enough to realise that the main character was playing a very bad deck and only won by fluke

I was like 13 when I realized the heart of the cards was Yu Gi just stacking his deck like the kids who thought they were being sligh while cheating at the lunch tables playing magic.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Make Rock tokens evergreen:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Abisteen posted:

Thanks for the excellent recommendations everyone. I decided to go with four jumpstart packs since she said she liked the idea of opening things and not knowing anything about what she would get.

Maybe a live event at one of the local stores is in my future but I don't feel comfortable doing that just yet with how bad our local covid cases have been recently.

Honestly if she's never played before I would have her go through the Arena tutorial first just to get the basics down. I recently taught somebody the game with just my paper cards and really do wish I had quickly run them through the Arena tutorial first.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Lmao, Chandra, Dressed to Kill.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Cleave is just the Mythos cycle mechanic from Ikoria as a keyword, and I like it

Exactly my thought too, and I think Cleave is easier to parse.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Another question about the frog, do cards that say stuff like "reveal the top x cards of your library, put x into hand and the rest into your graveyard" count? like are those cards in some special revealed zone before being put in the yard? or are they still in the library until they get put in the graveyard?

Yeah there is no "revealed" zone.

zones:

Library
hand
stack
battlefield
graveyard
exile
command
...ante?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I was just randomly defeated and can't figure out how the game made that decision (came up out of loving nowhere).

Anybody have any ideas?

I mean, I'm sure I was going to lose anyway, but why would the client just abruptly play the death animation and throw a big "Defeated" at you if I still had life and no game-ending conditions had been met yet?

EDIT: It was my turn and I was using my Triskaedekaphile to draw cards, did it bug out?

I don't see your library, you may have drawn yourself to death.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yes for when I took that screenshot, but now two more matches have done the same thing.

I'm changing match type and trying again.

You may have to restart the client when this Draw bug starts happening.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

whydirt posted:

Cleave is a neat twist on kicker but it feels out of place in Vampire Wedding: The Set.

It feels like something that’d be cool for Strixhaven where mage students learn to manipulate spells

It does feel kind of out of place yes. It could go in Strix like you said, or the DnD set it could have been "Metamagic" or even in the upcoming cyber Kamigawa set, the brackets have a "you're hacking your spells" flavor to it.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was just pushed here like Party was pushed out of DnD into Zendikar.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

Does that last half of the card text seem... a little unfinished? Do you get the discount forever? Until the wolf leaves play? What if you have another wolf? I mean I think I know how its suppose to play, but I am expecting more text to tell me things.

Oh nice I guess this is a cycle. Green discounts spells and White's creates 1/1.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dreylad posted:

I sold all my old magic cards and was thinking of spending a bit of that money picking up a couple of decks just to play around with my friend who played back in the day. I admit to being incredibly dumb but I can't really figure out where to start now. I started playing magic when we picked up two random 60 card decks, but now you can buy prebuilt or something called commander? I've read a few getting started guides or what's on the MTG website but it's not really clear.

If you've got yourself and 3+ other friends I'd definitely recommend some Commander Preconstructed decks and learning commander for 4 player games. If it's just a couple of you, I'd recommend something called the Pioneer Challenger Decks, they're made for 1v1. Or just buying a booster box and playing limited.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

Did we miss Odric or did he die?

The new printing of Hero's Downfall has flavor text saying he got turned. I'm expecting a Vampire Odric card.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Change of Fortune is insane in Commander wheel decks. You'll end up drawing like 14+ cards minimum. That's where I think it finds its place.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Parasitic Grasp reminds me of 90s-rear end MTG art in the best way.

I like that Wandering Mind, gonna try it in Cube with Thing In the Ice.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Huxley posted:

Wait hang on. Exploit isn't Devour? It's a trigger not a replacement, right, can he exploit himself?

You can. He can exploit himself but you won't then get the exploit trigger, it's already out of play.

edit: actually, I'm not sure about this

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

According to the rulings on Loathsome Curator:

You can sacrifice the creature with exploit if it’s still on the battlefield. This will cause its other ability to trigger.

So you should be able to play it and kill a planeswalker by sacrificing it

I was thinking of instant speed kill spells I think, those can prevent the exploit triggered ability, when they can't with typical ETBs

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Worse at blocking but harder to actually kill

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

from the weekly mtg stream

They've tied Maro up in an office chair and are printing this card while he kicks and screams

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

please stop being weird about maro

Sorry Mark, just kidding.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

someone asking you not to be weird shouldn't be your cue to double down

Man, I can't help what tone you read my little joke post in.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
New Lair featuring Brooklyn Art collective MSCHF?

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1456686159904579584

I'm laughing at the Plains.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So in the MSCHF Lair you peel a film off of the golf course plains and it becomes a Battlefield Forge?

https://twitter.com/TheMaverickGal/status/1461015987726213124

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

the SLD for the commander deck has a coin for you to flip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfX5s6syTBI

this coin looks like a legit piece of poo poo

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Yep, it was proof of vaxx OR negative covid test

The negative covid test wiggle room is loving bullshit. Very sick of this nonsense.

Not targeted at you or anything, just stating in general.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Holy hell. Would those un-set shocks be legal for tournaments?

Yes, they don't have the new Acorn shaped foil stamp on the bottom that the new Unset will have (as the new unset is switching to black borders instead of silver)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

Wait wait what, they're doing away with the silver borders? Balderdash!

People are going to freak when they realize that the new Unset has Black Borders and anything without the Acorn Holo (because the set has normal oval holos as well) are legal in Commander, Vintage, and Legacy according to WotC:

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1465347222833446923

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I do think the reasoning behind getting rid of the Silver Borders is to sell more boxes through three main factors in order of impact:

1. Making some portion of the set legal in Vintage, Legacy, and Commander
2. Allowing Full Art and Borderless alternate card styles.

And then way down the list in terms of importance:

3. Removing some of that anti silver border reflex that many casual tables have by changing it to a much less intrusive Acorn Holo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

odiv posted:

I had a lot of trouble trying to convince people to draft my cube, even when people were tired of the current set. "We draft and then don't even get to keep the cards!? Why would I do that?"

It was disappointing.

Absolutely insane. I love playing other people's cubes and tinkering with my own.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

And while I generally don't want to spend a lot of money, Llanowar Elves has been my favorite card for like 20 years and I want the fanciest/prettiest looking ones possible, so what's the best way to see all the different ones ever printed?

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=%21%22Llanowar+Elves%22+include%3Aextras&unique=prints

Scryfall -> "View all Prints" of the specific card you're looking at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

This is the current technological state of Tamiyo's homeplane, making her some weird traditionalist zealot.