Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fadam posted:

lol I was so wrong about W7. This card rocks. It's still mostly honeymoon so maybe standard will suck eventually, but right now I'm loving it. It's no nice not playing against memory lapse smile

Esika's Chariot turn 4 (or 3) into W7 make a token copy the token feels so unbelievably good.

Esika's Chariot in general seems pretty great in this Standard, lots of 3/x werewolves running around that it just walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I got turbofucked by this deck playing R/G aggro, they just had a counter every turn and then all of a sudden they just won.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ShaneB posted:

how can anyone tell what the cards in that deck are?

You should get your eyes checked out.

Also familiarity playing the format, but for real the names of the cards are legible in that picture.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

It annoys me so much that Cedric's job is literally to do audio content and he has the most dogshit mic with no balancing at all. If I was paying him for content I would either have given him a new mic or told him to get one at this point.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's kind of odd looking at Emergent Ultimatum lists, they were attempted from IKO's launch. KLD gave it not just Alrund's Epiphany, but also Valki and Vorinclex for big spells to land to go with Kiora Bests the Sea God and Sea Gate Restoration. Since they were all Yorion lists too, it's easy to include a few extra big targets. Epiphany is the perfect piece to force awful awful choices with 13-14 mana advantage and immense board position.
The reason the deck worked was because of Epiphany. If you choose Epiphany, they get a Tibalt with double the counters and a Vorinclex. If you don’t, they get two turns with Vorinclex swinging in for 6 or two turns of Tibalt activations. You almost ALWAYS chose Epiphany as one of the three cards because of how powerful it was.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

edit- I was wrong

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 12, 2021

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/october-13-2021-banned-and-restricted-announcement

Historic:

Tibalt's Trickery is banned in Historic.

Memory Lapse is suspended in Historic.

Brainstorm is banned in Historic (from suspended).

Five digital-only cards are being rebalanced:

Davriel's Withering and Davriel, Soul Broker's third ability now only affect "target creature an opponent controls."
Faceless Agent is now 2/2 (from 2/1).
Sarkhan, Wanderer to Shiv's second ability is now +1 (from +0).
Subversive Acolyte now costs 1B (from BB), is 2/3 (from 2/2), and had the toughness increases from becoming Human or Phyrexian reduced by 1.

edit- I guess this is probably better for the Arena thread since it's only Historic stuff but eh.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

edit-nvm

Been playing Mono W Bo1 in standard and it's just funny how hilariously fast that deck can go off. Probably going to try a run at the Bo1 open with it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Aranan posted:

Maybe a series of cards where kids illustrate something, then a professional artist does art based on the kid's?

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1449050816707506182?s=20
Yep

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1451642258906697729?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Here's a better thread
https://twitter.com/hothqueenofsnow/status/1451672774297018371
https://twitter.com/hothqueenofsnow/status/1451728165655646217?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1453755078540734466?s=20
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1453755468447367175?s=20
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1453755740611616773?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Awesome card, love it.

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1453768787094740996?s=20

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/tirentu/status/1453848215300853762

This is VERY good. It's too bad they can't find a better way to template it though. It reads very awkwardly.

Fake

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Devor posted:

It seems like you could make an argument for it being different. With Kicker, each card has an ability that says "If ~ was kicked".

With Cleave, it's telling you to remove card text, it's not explicitly an ability that gets checked. The ability that removes the card text in brackets is also explicitly tied to *casting* it with cleave, rather than asking if its cleave cost was paid.

So if the copied spell forgets that the text in brackets was removed, I'm not sure if there's a rule that would cause the copy to look again to see if the text should be removed.

If you cast it with cleave, the text box becomes whatever the text box is without the brackets. Those brackets aren't "still there" because they're printed on the card; you act like they don't exist. So you are copying the spell with the brackets removed, because that is what is on the stack.

edit- I assume, of course, there's no official rules out yet I don't think.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

lol let's give Alrunds an extra 6/6 or 7/7, as a treat.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

The funniest thing about it is if it gets to ten counters, it was probably winning the game already

Also that it's Indestructible and not like, Hexproof. Can still get exiled, bounced, like c'mon.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Huxley posted:

What is the most explicitly hetero relationship in the game? I guess we have a wedding in this set, but other than that?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Why? From the card text I don't get that and also it seems like any Cemetery Prowler (playing a second or third one) exile would count.

If a card mentions itself it means [this card], as in [this physical card, right now]. If you flicker something it "forgets" any information it had as that previous card, because it's now a "new" card.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

But the card is still in exile and it was put there by Cemetery Prowler.

No, it was put there by *A* Cemetery Prowler, not the Cemetery Prowler that is currently on the field after blinking.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

Feels like a flavor fail that Blood costs one mana and not life. Have to imagine the original text had life payment instead and it got changed after they'd cemented the card name.

I think it would be a bigger flavor fail to have you drinking a vial of blood make you LOSE life.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you played two Cemetery Prowlers and exiled two separate creatures, would your creatures then cost 2 less as long as they both stayed in play?

Yep, each would have two instances of "[creatures] cost 1 less."
Also if you exile an Enchantment/Artifact and a Creature with one your wolves, Enchantment/Artifact Creatures will cost 2 less, lol

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ok I like a lot of the Dracula cards (especially Thalia), but if 60% of the cards are just going to be Dracula in different poses, maybe we should have chosen a different theme guys.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

Is the non-flying part of Dreadfast Demon an "activated ability", "triggered ability" or neither? do activated abilities require the colon to be deemed an activated ability?

Correct, activated abilities are "[cost] : (effect)," the colon being the important part.

Triggered abilities start with "When, whenever," or "At."

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 15, 2021

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is meaningless to Arena players. Every rare costs one Rare wildcard, the cost of the card is immaterial.

I haven't been able to make a competitive Standard deck all year, playing Arena exclusively.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Sitting on them until I can make a viable deck from them but the time never comes.

It's also really daunting to go all in on a deck because okay so I blow every wildcard I have and then well I have one deck lol good luck not getting bored
He's not talking about the wildcards you get, he's talking about the daily gold you are making from playing Arena exclusively. If you save your gold and draft you can very, very easily keep up with two or three Standard decks on Arena. The better you get at drafting the faster you'll build the decks you want. Even if you aren't good at draft, if you can push yourself to 3 wins you almost break even, and get to keep all of the cards you are drafting anyway.

And then ultimately, if you're really as pressed as you're making it sound for being able to build a deck, just spend the $50 on the 50 packs of the new set when those bundles are in the store. I know people don't like spending money on the game, but with $50 (a small part of what you'd spend making a deck IRL) you get 50 guaranteed rares/mythics and/or wildcards, and eight guaranteed rare/mythic wildcards. You also fill up your uncommons/commons (and U/C wildcards) which allows you to get more gems and vault progress while drafting.

Also another tip that will help with your overall gold gain: try to keep one 500 gold quest in your quests every day without completing it so that when you use your free reroll of the day, you have a chance to turn a 500g quest into 750g one.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 15, 2021

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

fadam posted:

https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/wotc-unveils-magic-the-gathering-secret-lair-drops-inspired-by-arcane
lol oh god

Please just once make a Secret Lair for a property I care about :negative:

Super hilarious to see people getting excited about this because it's a game(/show) they actually like when normally they would be flipping out about how Magic is dying if it was something they didn't

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

odiv posted:

I haven't been keeping notes on who is posting what, but is it at all possible there are different posters here with different opinions?

I didn't say anywhere in my post I was talking about posters in this thread. The general sentiment on social media for the past crossover secret lairs have been tons of doom and gloom about the future of Magic, and that's what I was talking about. I looked at the Twitter responses to the announcement in a few different places and mostly just saw people excited about it.
I don't know why you tried to turn me making a general statement about finding that funny into me obsessively tracking the posting history of people in the MTG thread, but uh, you do you.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

People mostly have an issue with unique, Secret Lair exclusives. No one cares about the Godzilla cards cause you can get a non-Godzilla card that does the same thing. But that didn't happen with The Walking Dead cards so people got (understandably imo) upset.
You're right that more people are mad about that (terrible, dumb) practice (which people should have gotten upset about), but the general sentiment on social media for all of the crossover stuff (even the Godzilla stuff) is that it's WOTC selling out and killing Magic. When they announced the Stranger Things one and the upcoming Street Fighter and Fortnite Secret Lairs, especially in response to the Fornite one, that was definitely the general sentiment I saw on social media (and this was after announcing they won't be doing the Walking Dead thing). So I'm just laughing that it took League of Legends cards to make the people finally soyface about the cards.

fadam posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/magic-the-gathering-and-league-of-legends-arcane-crossover-for-secret-lair-drop/1100-6498089/

Didn't realize the cards got posted. Cool reprints (Rhystic baby!!!), but I don't really like the art tbh.
These all look super boring. Arcane is such a nice looking show and they managed to make these all look so bland.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

What is arcane? A LoL character?

League of Legends Netflix show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXmAurh012s

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Jayce has been a LoL character since 2012.

Jayce is also a real name (as “real” as a name can be), Magic didn’t make it up.

Edit - vvvvvv
This is true. First episode is super generic but the other 5 have been good to great so far, and yeah the animation is probably the best since Spiderverse, it’s really gorgeous.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

New Secret Lair megadrop
https://secretlair.wizards.com/us

They're doing an experiment and selling a full Commander deck, with double-sided alt-art versions of some of the cards in them, half of the deck is also foil and half is not for some reason?
Half of the drops are lands but there are some really pretty cards in some of these.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 18, 2021

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Those pixel lands are phenomenal. Hope there's some way to get them on Arena eventually without springing for the Secret Lair.

No secret lair has ever come with a code for card styles of the cards in Secret Lairs, just sleeves.

The only Secret Lair cards that are on Arena themselves (I believe) are the Godzilla lands, which were a reward for buying into the first Arena Open Day 1 qualifier tournament.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

They picked terrible cards for the crocodile Jackson collab

Yeah. It’s really disappointing when they have a cool idea and then ruin any desire to buy it by making all the cards draft chaff.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I doubt they put that much effort into it. I am convinced it's 100% just them deciding what they think would be cool for like 3 of the cards and then just finding the other two ad hoc to fit theme. It's all former players getting love for their pet cards.

You're completely wrong about this. Gavin Verhey posts constantly on Twitter responding to people like Professor talking about how hard he is working internally to try to reprint cards for Commander players, how much he brings up cards that need reprints, etc.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh well if Gavin says so....

I didn't say he was good at his job, lol, but it's definitely not "they put no effort into it," which is what you said you thought.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

the MSCHF secret lair is out, it has no timer so it might truly be "limited" to some number. so probably get on that if you want it.
------
also played paper FNM last night. i went UW spirits and won 2 games. lost the first game to BU exploit zombies where he had the skeleton and basically kept reanimating it and i foolishly casted the katilda i had while not leaving mana open and it got exiled. played RB vampires and a WG aggro deck.. the game against WG lasted for an extremely long time though so that was the only game we finished..

cradle of safety is actually a pretty incredible card in this deck. only having to hold 2 mana to protect your creatures that have all the enchantments attached... and then you add another +1/+1 and also build up katilda is good value. unfortunate that i couldn't get hallowed haunting to go along with my deck.

There was a time in the email they sent out for it, November 28th at 9amPT

Also looks like they’re either not including or keeping “secret” the Battlefield Forge with the Plains sticker.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/redneckwins/status/1463208636260524042?s=21
Something a definitely vaxxed person says when asked if they’re vaxxed

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Was the Vegas gp seriously a non vax certificate thing?

Yep, it was proof of vaxx OR negative covid test

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Eej posted:

Can't believe people were saying I was crazy that maybe going to a convention in Vegas might be a bad idea

Numbers from large concerts and whatnot have been showing that the rates are very low in events like this that require proof of vax or negative test (the negative test part is dogshit and I wish it wasn't there, but it is), fortunately. There were "only" 203 confirmed cases, with 0 hospitalizations out of 385,000~ people who attended Lollapalooza a couple of months ago.

The "only" is the part that comes down to personal decision though. It's a low risk, but the risk is still there. It would be even less if it was only vaxxed.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

so nickachu on his stream wednesday said that this person who got covid was actually vaxxed, most likely got covid before the event started and for some dumb reason decided to say he'd rather not discuss his vaccination status for some immensely dumb reason rather than assure people at the event that he was vaccinated.

i checked back on his account, someone posted this from his twitter back in july.

https://twitter.com/RedNeckWins/status/1413153339089502209

so for some reason.. even though he had already publicly stated he was vaccinated... he now chose to _not_ disclose his vaccination status, stirring up poo poo and then getting mad when people are upset that he (implied) that he wasn't vaccinated.

just a huge shitshow all around.

You missed the part where he compared his experience of people yelling at him for being cagey about being vaxxed (after he loudly proclaimed he was vaxxed) to being (Content Warning) sexually assaulted because of the way he chose to dress to someone who DM’d him

https://twitter.com/fabkilljoy64/status/1463375289581408257?s=21

And also that he may (wording is vague) have known he had COVID going into the tournament (at some point he mentioned “lawyering up” and deleted the tweet, so…)

https://twitter.com/fabkilljoy64/status/1463347097114083331?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The chose Draft because you're picking a card out of other cards, and it's a word they would never use as a keyword in non-Digital Magic.