Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Do people play sealed outside of pre-release?

If you can't get enough players for a draft, it seems fine.

I play sealed when playing 1v1 with a friend, since we both like limited. We either open packs or use a cube one of us has built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

You still have to announce all DFCs when drafting in person, right? I never did original innistrad or the recent Zen, and I’m afraid it being awkward going around the table saying our two flippy cards each

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What do you think it is by default before it becomes day or night?

It's twilight, c'mon! Vampires vs werewolves.

Sure, it becomes day first, but that's just because of Teferi mucking around.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Yes, but the point is that the creature gets valor counters on it, but goes in a deck that will likely also put +1/+1 counters on it. The enchantment and the artifact posted above won't typically have a mix of counters.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Lords of Limited
Limited Level-ups (this week's episode has Voxy and Amazonian guest hosting and it's completely unhinged so don't take it as a routine example of how the show normally is)
Drafting Archetypes with Sam Black

For lords of limited, it looks like their podcasts on the main site are quite different from their youtube collection, which is card-by-card set reviews. Are both good listening?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

babypolis posted:

the full set review is 6 hours long, while the podcast is like an hour or so, so the podcast is a lot more condensed. as such they dont really do a full set review for the podcast, its more of a primer. they go over what the main archetypes are and what their top commons and uncommons are for each color. also the podcast is done by ben and ethan, while the set reviews are done by ethan and alex, and alex is a much better card evaluator than ben is. so if you have the time and inclination you should watch the set review, otherwise just check out the podcast

I listened to the crash course podcast. I liked the feeling that the hosts had already read all the cards and had an idea of what was going on in the set before starting their review. The part where they explained the mechanics wasn't useful for me, but hearing their overall thoughts on what archetypes they think are well supported was great.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Not sure if it was noticed before, but when I was looking at some distinctive land art, I discovered a new artist for the set:
https://scryfall.com/search?q=artist%3A%22pig+hands%22&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Abisteen posted:

I posted a couple of weeks back about getting into paper magic with my girlfriend and I wanted to give a trip report so far.

I ended up getting us a few of the JumpStart booster packs and that has been a lot of fun. She actually opened the Mythic rarity Phyrexia jumpstart pack which comes with a nice mythic Sheoldred, Whispering One and a dope rear end Swamp with the text in Phyrexian. My best pack from the few we opened got me a goblin theme with Krenko, Mob Boss. Overall, we really like this randomized deck thing and will probably pick up some more of these packs over time when we want a bit of a change of pace.

We signed up for a beginner pre-release at the store nearby for last night, but when we got there apparently some trees had come down nearby and the power had been out for 8 hours at that point and they had to cancel. This was a real bummer because apparently they had decorated it like the wedding and had wine to toast to Olivia and Edgar. That would have been fun. So, we took our kits and what would have been our prize boosters and went home and played together. I ended up with a fairly strong B/W deck that had a lot of flying creatures that she had a tough time dealing with. But she also managed to open Toxrill, the Corrosive (with the alternate black and white art.) My prize boosters also included a Cemetary Desecrator.

Overall, we're really liking it and I want to get a commander deck and go to the store on their commander days now. Looking forward to the next pre-release also and maybe their power will be back by them.

EDIT: Question - The cards in our pre-release boosters were all oriented how I expected, but our boosters that we got as prizes had the cards completely flipped backwards in order. Like if you looked at them face up the foil was first, then the rare etc. All of these were draft boosters though. Do the different factories sometimes pack the cards differently?

Awesome that you're having a great time with it. Yes, the cards from Japan are packed in a different order than the US packs. Also the cards feel different, and they have a different finish on the basic land borders. I much prefer the look and feel of the cards from my Made in Japan prize packs than the main ones from my prerelease kit.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

They released the set list for the Innistrad Double Feature draft box: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/innistrad-double-feature-product-overview-2021-11-15

For some reason, I had thought all the cards would be in the eternal night showcase treatment, but instead it's just B&W versions of the regular art.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

whydirt posted:

I’m assuming that as long as they don’t mention dollar values explicitly in internal lists that they’d be okay?

You just have to use euphemisms like “exciting” instead of “expensive” to stay within the lines, right?

One thing they know very well is the exact number of copies of each printing of a card. Then they can produce a demand function for that card based on any number of data points, including price, but also mtgo, arena, decklists, edhrec, etc. Then they can quantify the demand without using a dollar amount and accurately predict how much a given reprint will "satisfy the demand" for a card.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Why an acorn symbol to indicate non-legality in eternal formats, when squirrels are legal in modern, including an acorn-shooting gun that uses acorn counters?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

This card seems so absurdly powerful. Turning looting and wheels into card draw.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

https://scryfall.com/card/neo/124/tribute-to-horobi-echo-of-deaths-wail

I've been playing with draftsim, and they have this card rated very high. I am extremely leery of such a card, because of the blowout potential: enchantment removal means I gave them 1 or 2 free rats.

Even without that, if they have ninjas or creature sac outlets, they can benefit from the rats, making it a steep price for the delayed but powerful backside. How do folks here think about this card for sealed and draft?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

You know the one thing that Magic is missing? Artificial scarcity.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Major Operation posted:

Here's hoping the ukiyo-e full art lands can continue to drop in price. There's no way these things can hold onto prices over a 50 cents each, right? They would still be more expensive than the Zendikar Rising full art lands, and this seems like a set people will buy in greater quantities.

The Shie Nanahara swamp is better than any of the John Avon swamps, I think.
https://scryfall.com/card/neo/298/ja/swamp

The full art lands of Theros are $1ish, with plains cheaper. Those were 1 per pack, and as far as I’m aware, it’s been pretty stable at that price. These are 1 per 3 packs and probably more place popular. I think the nicer ones will stay above $2

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What is the argument against dusting?

I have over 1000 common WC's and like 847 uncommon WC'S that will never get redeemed for actual cards

At a 100:1 ratio I'd gladly cash in 900 common WC's for 9 rare WC's because even at 100 common WC's left over I'll still never use them.

They don't want people to dust regular cards because they don't want discussions around what cards are useless and should be dusted. They are open to the idea of converting wildcards as you describe, though it's not on their radar at the moment. Fundamentally, they are happy with the rate of card acquisition in terms of time played and money spent. That's the point of friction: users would like arena to be cheaper. WotC is happy with the price.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Is casting from exile only possible as a result of the ability, or could I cast it later after exiling other ways?

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 11, 2022

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Question about shield counters : if my opponent has an attacking 3/1 with a shield counter, and I block with two vanilla 1/1s. Does that kill the attacking creature?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I went 2-1 with riveteers. Won my last game with a hasty 128 power devilish valet against a tapped out opponent (Libation + Stimulus package with 5 treasures).

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Gilded foils are numbered differently than regular showcase foils. Gilded are 361-405. The gilded charm there is 365, while the regular version would be number 300.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

fadam posted:

Every standard set is going to have Jump Start product. I'm a gatekeeper that hates new players so I don't like this. That dragon thing on the package is cute tho.

Earlier, they had Jumpstart 2022 on the calendar as its own thing. Did they say if that's still coming, or are these standard jumpstart releases going to take its place?

Replacing theme boosters with jumpstart packs is a great choice.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Jiro posted:

That's loving tight. I wonder if they just have some room in the back with a fuckload of Alpha and Beta in it that they'll open now and then to look at and use from time to time, or they actually go through the hassle of printing out and manufacturing the cards with all the old irregularities.

It's stuff they have stored. Little known piece of magic trivia: they actually have a list of cards that they've promised that they will never reprint, including some from the very first magic set.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

flatluigi posted:

don't buy boxes either to crack them or to speculate on them for the future

Let people enjoy their toys and hobbies, as long as its not hurting others.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Baldur's Gate is just a terrible set and it's really not at all clear who it's for

Despite going in thinking that commander + limited is a bad combo, I've had more good games than bad games. It's a small sample, and a large factor is that I liked the people I was playing with. But to add to this, I've seen some interesting decks with some fun, interactive play. The games I played all had a decent forward velocity, so they didn't overstay their welcome.

Also, I like all the dragons. Dragons are great, and this set has lots and lots.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Are there different foil styles for the commander legends cards? In particular, on some of the showcase foils, only to colorful background is foiled. I ordered a couple of foil fireballs, but those are foiled on the whole card. Is this a difference in printer?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

The horizons sets, which are largely new cards, are print to demand. The reprint master's sets have limited availability, and may not meet demand. That seems like the pattern they've followed of late.

It seems consistent with them carefully cultivating the reprint equity as a whole. MH2 has some high-profile reprints that meaningfully dropped prices, particularly the fetches, but it generated new reprint equity with the elementals and that monkey. Whereas an all-reprint set printed to demand could make quick cash at the risk of stifling future demand. As it is, they can still sell a set with the highly-sought reprints from the short-printed first double masters.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

it would be cool if tcgplayer actually improved their stupid site to be able to search subsections of individual sets, if they're going to be The One And Only.

I'd like to search for only showcase cards in quad masters for example, but there doesn't seem to be an option for that in their store. searching for them still brings up the entire set anyways.

This specific search can be done by searching “borderless” and then filtering by set. Though that may not catch the Liliana card.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm putting together a big playset of jumpstart boosters. I've already got something like 30 of the themes but I want one of each. Not one of each variation, but one of each theme. Is the best way to do this buying singles? I have looked around but can't find a store selling the cards as little bundled packs. It's made a bit more difficult because I want the theme "title" card as well. I'm broke so I'm I'm no hurry but I'm sleeving/cubamajigging the themes I've got and the fever is spiking.

Some ebay auctions have the packs sealed in the inner plastic for sale. These tend to be pricey especially if one of the variants has value, but are an option.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

CommunityEdition posted:

Hmmm, yes, just a bee in a ball gown, nothing to see here.

That’s the kind of parasitic mechanic we can all get behind

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Please tell me there's enemy ones so I can have a 4th Island Mountain, thank you.

Yes, full cycle of 10

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

What was the deal with jumpstart Dominaria United?
Is there new cards? Good reprints?
Are they standard legal?
Legacy?

They are all DMU cards, plus one special Jumpstart rare per color that are purposely weak. There are only ten distinct lists, two per color, with the two for a given color very similar. Not much variety there, even for fans of jumpstart. Easy skip for everyone else.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I had a great pool with tons of removal in a Dimir deck. 2x Rona’s vortex to search up with micromancer and 3 copies of tolarian serpent to finish, ended up 3-0-1.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Peteyfoot posted:

This sounds awesome! :swoon: I'll check it out, thank you for the recommendation!

If you're getting a box, make sure you get the original jumpstart and not dominaria jumpstart.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I brought my Drake posted:

Is Transguild Courier a multicolored spell? I say no, because it doesn't require multiple colors to cast it and it's a multicolored permanent according to the card text but says nothing about the spell while being cast, but I'm getting into a dumb online argument with someone who insists that it is.

The rulings listed on Scryfall confirm that it is multicolored everywhere:
https://scryfall.com/card/dmc/194/transguild-courier

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I forget, are the 40k cards going to get on ~The List~ with MtG names or was that just for secret lairs?

Just for secret lairs. It'd be hard for them to reprint mechanically identical versions given that the creature types include tyranid and astartes

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Harvey Baldman posted:

Hey nerds, question.

Do the weapons on these cards...

... appear in any other card art?

Yes, elspeth holds them in her planeswalker arts:
https://scryfall.com/card/thb/14/elspeth-suns-nemesis
https://scryfall.com/card/snc/282/elspeth-resplendent

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Amazon created the sale to test buying behaviors. Probably a few were region locked to different time frames too. They were modified lightning deals with low quantities for sale, then they would just reactivate them now and then. I saw Strixhaven set boxes for $63 and a few different commander decks for $17.

The fun thing is when prices change between looking at your cart and checking out. This happened with both Amazon and a recent tcgplayer direct order. I noticed it with amazon, but didn't notice on tcgplayer until the order arrived. Now I know to double-check at the checkout page.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Curious if they'll have a good way to track it for limited, in paper.

Let's hope for more stickers.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

uggy posted:

Mark rosewater lied :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

It's about ethics in children's card game journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did anyone else's LGS give out set boosters as prizes at the prerelease? What am I supposed to do with them open them like some addicted chimpanzee? At least if you did well enough before you and your friends could draft before release.

Set boosters are what my store gives out, but they thankfully allow you to take store credit instead of packs as your prize. Yeah, set boosters aren't really good for drafting or sealed.