Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My sealed pool was very nice for pre-release. And I ended up going 3:1 wins losses for my matches. Red/Green/White Werewolf Coven felt really fun, although obviously I played it more because that was what my pool had for creatures that were good and synergestic, not because three-colour will be powerful in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Day/night works really well and I wish that they had done it this way from the beginning, because the main confusion I have from it is due to the differences that it has from the original way werewolves were done. I definitely got my opponent once during the prerelease because they changed it from any player casting zero/2+ spells per turn to only the active player casting zero/2+ spells per turn; and the only reason I knew that change was from playing Arena. I do think that it's better this way because it gives a player much more control over whether it becomes night, but it can be unintuitive, as my opponent found out.

The other... I don't know if problem is quite the correct word to use, but at least issue, is the fact that almost all werewolves are all objectively better at night than at day, while the new day/night templating allows for designing cards that gain benefits whenever the environment changes. Mostly I wish that meant there were more werewolves that gained benefits from it becoming daytime, or at least weren't just "here's the same creature, but bigger" at night, because the only ones that come to mind that don't fall into that latter category are Brutal Cathar and Huntmaster of the Fells, so one rare and one mythic. It was pointed out in one of the threads that a mechanic based around "I don't do anything during my turn" can be pretty double-sided, so having some sort of punishment if you pass your turn and your opponent just plays two spells would be nice, especially if they can gain double benefits from their own cards in that scenario.

It's also thematically appropriate that the werewolves get better at night, because well, they become giant wolf monsters instead of normal humans.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

vegetables posted:

I didn’t play with the original werewolves but I definitely think the current ones are a miserable design— you have to give up so much to get them to flip, but then your opponent has all the agency to react before you can do anything with them.

It feels like it disincentivises you from doing the fun things – playing the cool werewolves, getting to attack with the cool werewolves! – while often giving you no reward at all for doing so. It reminds me of the criticisms of Saviours of Kamigawa and its “don’t play spells” designs, which is a bad place for a mechanic to be

You can also play it as a punishment for the sort of decks that want to draw go, control decks that don't want to play on their own turn now have to spend mana or get run over with little ability to respond, plus they can't gently caress up your turns either by casting on your turns.

The fun thing is building up a horde and then unleashing them when your opponent messes up, either by letting you take a turn off to transform, or by missing a turn themselves. It's an interesting balancing act that lets them make Werewolves much stronger than their mana cost suggests they should be on the backside (and they are much stronger than they should be, 4 mana 6/5 etc).

Plus it gives value to cards that let you forcibly flip, and the original Werewolf design was much worse because you basically never got to see them flip at all if your opponent was being a jerk about it.

During sealed I was absolutely adoring the tension of working out when to flip my wolves, or my opponent having to work out how to stop the flip happening by making sub-optimal plays that let me continue to board build without worrying about instants/flash creatures.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

vegetables posted:

But it rarely plays out like this in practice in this Limited environment because the stronger decks have a lot of card draw/card flashback/card disturb and a lot of power at Sorcery speed anyway. The level of sub-optimality you create for your opponents is not close to what you’ve created for your opponents.

Having a 6/5 for 4 that is almost never actually a 6/5 for 4 is also really bad I think. R&D generally moved away from downside mechanics because new players couldn’t understand they were good, but I think it’s much worse to have something that looks amazing – and in a way that’s really appealing to new players! – but then you never actually get it, and can’t control when you do.

That's the point, you can control it now (you couldn't in the past) you just sacrifice tempo for power. Then your opponent in turn has to potentially overspend options to undo what you've done. As it was before you didn't get to do Werewolf things at all because it was any player playing cards could mess it up. Now to turn it back people need to cast two of their own cards (which whilst doable, is still spending all their mana) and often as the Werewolf player I didn't have anything to play on my turn anyway, so I swung if I thought I could get favourable trades and then sat and let the flip happen.

If your opponent is constantly making you flip back, you can also play the red cards that respond to when the time of day swaps and get benefit whilst still threatening with the werewolves, who even on the front sides are still plenty playable stat-lines for the most part.

If both sides are good, then the opponent just doesn't have any options at all for dealing with werewolves, and if the day sides are stronger there's no incentive for the werewolf player to take the turn off and flip them.

As it is now, the Werewolf Player has an option to flip them, and gets total control of if they flip them, which also of course keeps resources in hand. It also makes the Artifact and Torovald very valuable options for the Werewolf Player as well.

The original werewolves are straight up if your opponent has instants at all you're not likely to get to flip them ever, because it is trivially easy between two players to have 2 spells cast every turn. Now your opponent has to do stuff on their own turn to stop you, instead of smugly messing with you on your turn.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 21, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Look Around You posted:

I’ve always heard you need to announce them on opening but you don’t need to announce if you’re taking it.

It's to basically even the playing field for everyone involved, so that people next to you who see you open it but people down the table who don't see you open it have the same knowledge.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

It's wordy and I think you could have come up with singular game words for the actions of turning day into night and night into day and made cleaner cards.
Also they were (for maybe good reason I don't know I haven't played with them yet) very conservative with the non-transforming day/night cards that only turn it into day if it's neither night/day.

It's because everything that starts the process starts it in day (because Night is when all the Werewolves are extra strong and under-costed so if you could trivially make it night the person with the werewolves just gets to play one over-statted card a turn instead of taking the tempo loss to do so).

Turning Day into Night needs a cost because all the Werewolves Night Forms are (as usual) big under-costed monsters. Plus it makes the mechanic a bit simpler to understand when it starts, because it's day and the only way to turn day into night is the no cards cast, or very specific cards. Plus those cards like seeing it switch, so if you could do it by say. Casting it's day it's night it's day in a row you'd get a lot stronger synergy instead of at least needing to naturally perform the 2-spells no spells thing for effects like discard 2 draw 2 (for no mana), draw a card and heal 1 (for no mana), deal 1 damage (for no cost) so on and so forth.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think you understood what I said. I'm saying the Celestus only makes it day if it is not night or day, what real difference does it make if the Celestus always made it day on ETB? Sure it makes the werewolves a little weaker, but ... ok?
Like I said, I haven't tried the cards yet so maybe it is a huge deal that 10 cards in a set of 277 are a little better.

I think if you say "When X comes into play, daybreaks/nightfalls" you don't need any reminder text. The Celestus has no reminder text.
Currently

But I think you could do:

Because they don't want cards to force day just by entering if it's already night, they want you to have to cast two cards to make it day because Day is already the default, reaching Night is the complicated bit. Plus all those cards have benefits for going from night to day or day to night and if they could ETB make it day they'd potentially get more benefits than they want. Notably, the Red/White Cathar Werewolf absolutely should need you to work to get it back to day because every time it flips it exiles a non-land, and it's in the Red/White colours that want to be swapping day/night for benefits.

Basically they care about day/night swapping so if neither has started they make it day when they enter, but they don't mess with an existing day/night state because they don't need to to benefit. It's literally so they're not dead cards if nobody is playing werewolves.

I have played with them, the extra wording really never feels clunky because it's just a reminder that hey, if you haven't already played a day/night thing make it day now so that mechanic starts.

The mechanic is very fun, intuitive, and it's pretty easy to just when you play your first day starter card (either a werewolf or one of the non-flippers) you put the thing up and then you simply need to remember the no cards/two cards cast thing.

Making it trivially easy to swap back to day does in fact screw werewolves heavily, in a set that intentionally changed the werewolf mechanic to make them stronger and easier to do what they want to do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mike N Eich posted:

I guess the ideal format allows for there to be viable aggro, midrange, combo and control decks to exist simultaneously as top tier decks right? Getting that balance right on purpose seems like a very very difficult task though.

For the last year the best deck in standard has always been "ramp up to 7 mana while including some very light interaction and win the game", there are aggro decks that can sometimes get under that but not consistently enough. Midrange decks don't have the disruption to beat it. There haven't really been any viable combo decks either.

I would argue combo is not in of itself a deck style in the same way aggro midrange and control are. Those are all about how fast a deck hopes to win, whereas combo defines what the deck does to win.

A control deck that wins via a combo is still a control deck. In fact I’d argue the Izzet Alrund deck is a combo deck, and could be considered a control deck depending on build.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want cards that read like Yugioh cards

Port Relinquished into Magic and let's work from there

Unironically Relinquished is really easy to do as a Magic card. Pay a cost, exile target creature, Relinquished has the types, effects, power and toughness of all creatures exiled by its own effect. Place one creature exiled by Relinquished in its owner's graveyard, Relinquished becomes indestructible this turn.

Make it a Colorless or White/Black Angel horror.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Most Yugioh cards actually do translate well to Magic cards because Magic has things like simplified wording and keywords.

This ridiculous monstrosity could get pared down to 5-6 lines easily.

I was just amused by Relinquished because I'm on and off doing a set of DM cards as MtG cards and Relinquished is one of them.

It also has Dark Magician (Legendary Wizard, 4 activated abilities to represent the spells and traps that support him in Yugioh), Blue Eyes White Dragon (sadly not a Blue/White Dragon, but lets you control 3 of them and reduces the cost for each you control), Flame Swordsman (I'm particularly proud of him, he gains Mentor for each Enchantment and Equipment attached to him, as a representation of Joey being the big leader friend).

Bunch of other stuff too.

triple sulk posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh owns because Konami does whatever the hell they want in terms of the art so you end up with a bunch of ridiculous archetypes to meet whatever flavor of lore it is you enjoy, and then you can actually make use of all the cards in your deck via all the tutoring and side deck stuff

Also for the most part they reprint poo poo into the ground so the cool holos generally still hold value but you can pick up really cheap versions if you want

Absolutely, I adore the Ogdoadic Art for example (Ogdoad actually also is an archetype that probably works in MtG pretty well, as it's largely summon from graveyard by sacrificing monsters on the field thematically). Magical Musketeers also have a really funky demon cowboy thing going on.

Ogdoadic Overlord is very slick.

As is Magical Musket Mastermind Zakiel.

Also for the record the Yami (Dark) Yugi who takes over during duels and is a ghost from the puzzle absolutely has super powers that allow him to control luck and chance in games, him top-decking what he needs is explicitly a magical power (although usually only used for saving the world). By the later series decks from the Anime not only got good, but some of them were legitimately tier 1 meta threats for long periods of time, so that's pretty rad.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 14, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kild posted:

That guy from GX or someone else?

From VRAINS. The protagonist ace ended up banned for being super hardcore busted and they had to rewrite the anime because of it.

serefin99 posted:

Yo that sounds sick. Would you mind sharing what you've got so far?

I’m not against it, but it’s pretty late for me and I’m not sure what the etiquette would be for doing so in this thread. I can send you a link to the google doc through PM in a couple of hours if you like? Or if more people want to see it in the thread I can post some of them here, it’s just mechanical designs and mana costs for now, no art mock-ups.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 14, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ChromiumCrush posted:

I haven't seen Stranger Things but is that for real? Did WotC really do that? God drat they're dumb..

Absolutely dumb, it's probably a still from the show run through a computer program to make it look like a painting. Which means it could've been entirely automated except for the initial still choice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Strong Sauce posted:

I mean the artist's name is right there on the card.

She does do pretty good work, or at least good enough work... these Stranger Things ones though I really don't like at all.

I totally missed that, in that case that's just an unfortunate blunder I would imagine.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Danger Diabolik posted:

I think that they said that the Stranger Things secret lair cards are getting reskinned in the New Capenna set boosters. I think that's what LifeLynx was referencing.

Yes, after the response to the Walking Dead secret lair they've promised that all future Secret Rares will get Magic universe version cards that will be part of "The List" (which I forget the exact details of but isn't printed as part of a set but added to packs in some manner as a replacement for the rare 1 in 15 times).

They'll not be reskinned to match the set, because "The List" is for multiple sets at a time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

LibrarianCroaker posted:

In set boosters, replaces the token/advertisement card in 1/4. 1/2 of list replacements become secret lair reskins, so in 1/8 packs you'd open a rethemed secret lair.

Oh, that's a lot better than what I was remembering. Good to know.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cactrot posted:

Maro did his regular vague info dump thing again.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/666032714092331009/maros-innistrad-crimson-vow-teaser

I want the "popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted" to be Snapcaster mage, but I know it won't be.

It's definitely not Avacyn and I have to make peace with this fact.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"a new token" doesn't have to mean new mechanics

just like there is Gold, Treasure and Etherium Cells that all do the same thing they could also just make a Food token and rename it just for this set

call it "Offering", make the art creepy, and WALLA nothing is broken

Blood Bag Tokens.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

President Ark posted:

it doesn't mess with aging which is why liliana did that whole demon contract, she got a taste of immortality because she's an oldwalker and when she lost it she was like "this fuckin' bites"

Of course, if you are already immortal due to say, being a a vampire or a dragon. Then for the most part you didn’t notice the loss.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jiro posted:

So........like lore wise..........is Innistrad just a flat world/discworld planet? If the sun isn't rising on one half of it, the other half has to be straight up burning to a crisp no?

That's what the giant artifact clock thing from the last set was about. It was loving with the day night cycle via ancient magic so that night lasted way longer than it normally would on the plane. This isn't even the weirdest day night magic cycle we know of, Lorwyn Shadowmoor is one too and they have 300 year days followed by 300 year nights.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mat Cauthon posted:

The MTG stories for Crimson Vow state that Emrakul getting shoved into the moon was the catalyst for this particular occurrence, but the day/night balance getting weird every couple millennia is just one of those things that happens on Innistrad because that's just how spooky town works apparently.

I thought the whole deal with Midnight Hunt and the big metal sun thing the ritual was performed at was specifically that it's not supposed to get weird and someone messed it up and now it's being un-messed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sinteres posted:

Why would the metal thing even exist in the first place if it hadn't been needed before though?

I was under the assumption the metal thing was how it got goofed in the first place and they were reversing that ritual with a new one. Partially because we always heard the nights on Innistrad were extra long and the harvest tide/pagan stuff was feeling like lost knowledge rediscovered only as things started getting even worse than usual for humans.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The last unset absolutely sold well, they reprinted it 4 times.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

make Indicate real

This one.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GonSmithe posted:

History has proven that this is 100% wrong. No matter how much technology advances, no matter how easy it is to take a good picture on your phone, every single Magic leak is the worst possible picture you could ever take of the card. It’s a time-honored tradition.

In theory it makes it harder to work out who leaked I imagine?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Today's fiction shows Gin-Gitaxis on Kamigawa

I like that he's picked up what I can only assume is a local outfit in an attempt to blend in? He's got a robe on his lower half and some sort of veil over his face.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Now that I think about Jin-Gitaxias becoming a Hakama wearing Ronin weebbot I realise that Vorinclex also picked up the local culture as shown by his choice of clothing. That is he's wearing a bear-skin cloak and is otherwise naked because he picked up the berserker culture.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

YggdrasilTM posted:

Gitaxias wore a robe in his original art too. He just changed it for one with a local design.

I worked out it's probably actually a Hakama not a Robe, which is more "traditionally" Japanese.

You're not wrong but I still think it's a funny idea that Jin-Gitaxias has become a weeb.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

I thought koth was dead or implied to be dead in a piece of side fiction

I thought Urabrask was too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Anchor to Reality

2UU

Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice an artifact or creature.

Search your library for an equipment or vehicle card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle. If it has a lower mana value than the sacrificed permanent, scry 2.

Why is this Blue and not like, White or Red?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

What??
I always thought it was funny you could make like Gurren Lagan and have your dude pilot a mech which pilots it's own mech.

Vehicles can still crew other vehicles, they just cannot crew themself.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Nastier Nate posted:

sure that makes sense

The idea is that before, if you had somehow animated a vehicle into an artifact creature, you could then tap it to crew itself (this is rather silly). That's the specific edge case they're changing, and they're doing so because this set has vehicles which have abilities that activate when they are crewed (specifically one of which crews/animates a second vehicle I forget which). They're just removing self-crewing for a combination of it being a weird thing in general thematically, and the effects it might have had on the vehicles in the new Kamigawa set.

You can however, still have a crewed vehicle that is treated as a creature, on an animated vehicle treated as a creature, tap to get inside another vehicle and crew that vehicle. Which is still moderately silly but at least doesn't involve unintuitive edge case design.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ryu being White/Red is okay but definitely not right imo. He's not really got much going for him that matches the "White" mtg colour profile thematically. He's a solitary warrior who travels the world simply training and looking for a good fight, he doesn't really care about justice or community.

But i knew they'd mess that up so it's not a huge issue.

Personally, I think Chun looks wildly fun (the fact that it's exile with kick counters means you can build up her attack with extra casts by continuing to multi-kicker her), as does Blanka and Zangief.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As an interesting example, the recently released yugioh master duel basically does a combination of dusting and wildcards, in that you dust cards into equivalent rarity materials. So dust a common get 10 common card points, dust a rare get 10 rare card points.

The rate at which card points can be used to make a new card is 30 of the matched rarity, so every 3 ultra-rares (mythics) you get that you don't want, can be turned into an ultra-rare you do want. Additionally the two "fancy" artwork versions (shiny, royal shiny) are worth 15 and 30 points respectively instead of the standard 10. Notably, you can in fact randomly craft them when crafting a card you want.

The economy on Master Duel is bad, but this is an example of how you might do a "fair" dusting system compared to the nightmare that is Hearthstone Dust.

Legends of Runeterra meanwhile, is just entirely free, automatically dusts cards when you get multiple copies, and gives out wild cards like candy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lone Goat posted:

How is this different than Hearthstone where you can dust 4 rares to get a new rare or 4 legendary to get a new legendary, and a golden card dusts for 4x its regular price so you can trade it for in for an normal version of the same rarity?

Common dust are worthless but it's exceedingly unlikely that you're being bottlenecked by missing commons

Because you can only get shards for the same type of cards. So it's more like 3 cards of a type equal a wild card of the same rarity, as opposed to hearthstone where dust is all the same no matter where it's from and the amount changes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I think it is very easy to overestimate this, and if you look at other recent multicolor sets, the number isn't that high.

Most other multicolour sets recently have been 2-colour partnerships not three colours.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

fadam posted:

Seems substantially worse than the other two.

The first mode needs 5 creatures on board to be good as Maestros third mode, which is a choice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

Charms with 'reasonable' CA modes:
Abzan
Archmage
Ebony
Esper
Freyelise's
Izzet
Jund
Mardu
Orzhov
Rakdos
Rith's
Sultai

And Obsidian ...aw. Obsidian Charm-aw.

How does Charming Prince rate?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I play both Yugioh and Magic, and this is some Yugioh rear end design. Sure just let them play a card from grave every turn for a sac and the original mana cost.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

New Capenna is explicitly built on giant pillar spikes that are driven into the ground beneath. I don't think it's inside a dome, since the topmost area gets sunlight. It's just a giant platform elevated off the ground.

The Racoon people come from outside the city, they meet them at the base of one of the pillars in one of the side stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Force of Will’s solution was fairly elegant I think. Every turn you could tap your ruler (kinda like a commander in that it is in its own out of game zone at the start) to play the top card of your Mana Stone deck. At the start of the game you shuffle your mana stone deck as well as your normal deck.

You also cannot summon your ruler the turn you play a mana stone with them.

Still has variance in multi-Color decks, but avoids hard mana screw/flood.