Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Have they said anything recently about the future of mtgo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Sickening posted:

Yeah, you got a tad unlucky. A resealable shrink wrap in a bubble mailer is about as good as it gets for shipping cards. unfortunately the carrier hosed you up. It happens.

Really? That’s not how cards get shipped in Europe. Here most sellers use old booster packs and use commons to shield the sold cards. Then the whole package is wrapped in bubble wrap.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Lone Goat posted:

My favourite part about almost all these decks is that they're "budget" but still require you to pay $30+ on some goofball card that's completely unplayable in the rest of the format.

please elaborate

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

fadam posted:

80 bucks of Ragavan is worth more than 80 bucks of jank. LG is right, but I don't see anything overly egregious in the first few decks. It's worse on Arena where an all-star like Goldspan Dragon technically costs the same as like Sunstreak Phoenix or whatever so you're really punished for buying suboptimal cards for fun/janky decks.

EDIT: why the hell is Legion Loyalist a $7 card lmao

I don’t see any expensive bad cards either. Most entries in that list are relatively old though and prices have changed due to commander players probably.

In general it seems like a good idea to go for a budget deck in paper if you don’t know your local meta or if you don’t know if you enjoy playing the deck. You can absolutely lose every game at your LGS with a top tier deck if everybody is prepared for it.
But having a clear upgrade path for a budget deck is is important in my opinion. Many of the entries on that list don’t have that.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

They really underestimated how hard it would be to get the delirium conditions.

Honestly, I think the monkey isn’t that bad, unholy heat is more annoying.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bringing merfolk back to modern tonight

Yeah!
In my lgs, people are also playing suboptimal/semi-budget or old decks. It’s really fun and my cheap living end deck fits right in.

Let’s just collectively ignore alchemy and instead play fun formats.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Infect player

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

It's been pointed out to me today by a poster that maybe we haven't been enforcing these new thread rules. I haven't been keeping up with this thread on a daily basis lately, potatocubed doesn't either, so perhaps we've been negligent. However, based on skimming a few pages about the current Alchemy thing, I'm not sure if I could directly apply these as-written anyway. Altering the base assumptions of how Historic works isn't exactly comparable to the secret lair stuff, and the complains don't seem to be "Wizards is doomed/Magic is doomed" so much as "I hate this", which is explicitly permitted by these rules as a topic.

This also isn't about Wizards' malfeasance as an employer, like, abusing employees or moral compass decisions.

So on reflection, no, I don't think this thread has been flagrantly violating either of these rules, at least not in the last couple of days. That said, it sure seems to be grim up in here lately, there's a lot less chat about specific play or whatever and a lot more angst and anger etc. I don't think it's reasonable for mods to insist a thread always be cheerful, but I also don't think a permanent "death thread" is what any of you really want for the magic thread.

I do want to emphasize that regardless of the state of the game currently, when people ask questions - newbies or regulars - they can be answered without derision or scorn. We've let a few reports that were marginal slide in recent weeks, because it's been tough to look at one specific post that was borderline and say "OK that clearly deserves a sixer" or, in a few cases, neither of us saw the report until like 18 hours later and the posters involved had already moved on. That's always going to be the case for moderation in Trad Games because we don't have round-the-clock mod coverage the way some of the more busy forums like GBS or the politics forums have.

But when a poster goes on a tear with several lovely posts, we're going to hit that. And we're going to continue to ask folks in the thread to try to cut each other some slack, assume good faith instead of presuming bad faith, and generally try to get along.

Well technically they are not printing the cards everyone is complaining about.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I really get the impression that some higher up is trying to squeeze as much money out of magic as possible for short term profit. Is anyone trying to buy hasbro or something?

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Bushido will be back LOL

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I’d say my favourite card right now is Tarmogoyf. Extremely powerful and very straightforward. It also punishes playing for delirium activation a little bit.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

sit on my Facebook posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4543144#paper

This is my current list. Bob is bonkers in the deck, often giving you the last nail you need to hammer it home

Hammer, at any cost.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

kalel posted:

neat

idle thought, I wonder if horizonless modern (no mh1 or 2) would accomplish a similar goal to budget modern in the sense of driving down the price while also being slightly less volatile. you could even bill it as "pure modern," it's a concept that sells itself

Nah, all the old staples are still very expensive.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I just hope for a bauble ban. Lurrus is ok to me.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is very cool but I don't know why they didn't keyword it with affinity

top 7 is very good

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Last FNM, an elves player went 5-0 against a field of tier 1 decks. Modern can be a lot more open than people realise.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Exotic Pets is such a fun and weird card.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

UW Hammer just beat 4c elementals to win the SCG 30K

That dude played amazingly well, incredible sequencing against the Rhinos match before.

teppichporsche fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 11, 2022

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Seems like a perfect hate card against winota.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

MOM: We have Deaths Shadow at home

I love that the number seven still holds some special meaning in black.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Explorer sounds neat, they might as well just get rid of historic imo.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

kalel posted:

I do enjoy the thematic consistency of the name

An Explorer paves the way for Pioneers

Let’s cancel wizards because of colonialism.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Its never happened in the entire history of the format.

Play magic the way it was designed to be played. There are so many fun and cheap formats around.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

kalel posted:

really wish there was a tool where you could plug in some cards and it would spit out recent decklists that used them

I'm not taking about a single card, I'm talking about multiple cards simultaneously. like I want to know the lists, formats and results of decks that used e.g. prismatic ending and endurance and scalding tarn in the same deck

You can do that on mtggoldfish: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck_searches/new

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Didn’t people complain that MH1 was too weak?

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

cards aren't even the same really

not sure why he thinks he predicted it. pretty much got most of it wrong except there's a handshake...

Come on, that looks really similar. The position, the effect, the card being a white sorcery…

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

card is not a white sorcery. and not even proper templating :colbert:

Fun fact: only eight sorceries in MTG have no coloured mana cost.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Depending on definitions you would also need to include cards with colorless mana costs like warping wail.

I did, but the suspend cards obviously have a color.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

precision posted:

I didn't say I have a bad time, I literally don't understand the format. I don't understand the "winning doesn't matter, let's just have fun" aspect. What I mean is, if you're wanting to have fun, why do it with rules?

I love two headed giant, I love archenemy, I love the idea of multiplayer magic. What I don't get is that apparently people don't play Commander as an actual competitive match. If you're non competitive and your whole thing is "I want to show off my personality"... again, why not just make up all your cards??

People like it because they don't know any actually good 4-player games.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think if I was going to play any format that requires a group of people as opposed to like, modern events I'd really rather find a group to cube with

That sounds like pretty much the best way to play magic. If I had a group I'd honestly look into getting a custom printed mtgo vintage cube because I could honestly play that forever and never get bored. Plus you can tweak it from there as new things come out.

Or that jumpstart cube someone posted about a bunch of pages back sounds amazing as well

Yeah cube draft is great.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Abhorrence posted:

Fair enough. Here's a screenshot. Not exactly Rudy saying that he's supporting harassment, but it's a very friendly message to someone who was basically radioactive by this point. (The video was released in October 2017)

Edit: rechecked the timeline, this was a month before Sprankle announced she was quitting. "Radioactive" may have been overstating it, but Hambly had already accused her of faking being harassed for attention by this point.

Holy poo poo who cares

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Yeah they are making cards for the 80% of the playerbase that hates playing interactive games and I think that’s awesome.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

“I get that it’s a main-set card, not in Commander product, and I’ll return to the recognition that not everything has to be designed with Commander in mind. I’ll also point out that it would also be tremendously naïve for a designer/design team to ignore Commander’s existence when designing cards.”

Why? Why don’t people just play commander with whatever lists of cards they find acceptable? Why does card design have to keep commander in mind?

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I think people are expecting too much from wizards.
Sets need to be:
- good to draft
- balanced for standard
- balanced for at least two eternal formats with gigantic card pools
- also balanced for a four player game with different rules

This just inevitably leads to bad sets.
I just don’t understand why people need to be told: “this is an official card you are allowed to play with” by some authority somewhere.
Why not make up your own formats like premodern, “pure”-modern/legacy, highlander etc.?

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

A Moose posted:

I can't believe its possible to bring a sub-$100 deck for Modern FNM. Do any of those actually work? I mean, technically you COULD bring a draft deck with 20 extra lands to hit 60 cards to a modern tournament as a budget option too. Would a $100 deck have a significantly greater chance of winning games than that?

Before Modern Horizons, maybe. There was poo poo like old Living End or Ad Nauseum combo that could steal games or even get top 8 finishes. I feel like even Splinter Twin was pretty affordable, since it was the only deck that didn't run Liliana of the Veil or Tarmagoyf. But now a set of any of the pitch elementals is over $100, Ragavan is $100 apiece, how do you even compete?

You don’t play those cards. 8-whack, prowess or affinity are cheap and competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Great set, terrible idea to have the first play boosters ever be associated with the big score mess.