Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hello, i haven't played magic in paper since roughly ikoria just due to no job so yesterday's prerelease was the first time i'd done one for a few years

kaito is really loving stupid if they can't deal with him, especially if you get a nuts sealed pool like me with ichormoon gauntlet and the white dominus :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Gavin Verhey, apparently posted:

In Commander, cards like Dark Ritual - trading a card for quick mana boost - are traditionally not very good.

[looks over at my Nashi semi-cEDH deck where i run Dark Ritual so i can occasionally T1 Nashi to crack in T2 on whoever has no T1 creature] :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Procrastinator posted:

also I believe the eldraine set is "Wilds of Eldraine" so... WOE

woe... toxic be upon ye

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

That one is a cool composition, but same kinda bug for me. I kind of wish they had done a bit more fleshing out of the baddies so that you could recognize the creatures we're looking at here. Like if the frontlines here were mites, being led by a Phyrexian Champion, that'd be dope. You'd have a reference point for what the goodies are up against.

you say that, but the alaran side actually has a LOT of references- knight of new alara, mirror-sigil sergeant, windwright mage, what looks to be yurlock, what looks to be nefarox, and ive seven seen some people saying that odd shape in the sky could be lord of extinction

phyrexia not having notable bad guys actively fits the fact that phyrexia is all about assimilation and a loss of identity for all but the most stalwart of mental fortitude- and we already know a lot of the big notable phyrexian characters are elsewhere (jin on kaladesh, elesh seemingly on dominaria, possibly urabrask on eldraine, possibly vorinclex on amonkhet, etc)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

orangelex44 posted:

My understanding (via reddit, of course) is that it's been pretty explicitly stated that once you go full compleat there's no coming back. It's possible to slow the process, and just barely achievable with much difficulty to even stop it, but not to de-Borg anyone who gets that far. That being said, they've done the timey-wimey thing before so who knows?

also to be clear a lot about what we know about compleation is for non-planeswalkers, for planeswalkers a lot of poo poo is still theoretical; we know they still have their souls unlike regular folks, and their spark is still active- its been implied that there's a chance the compleated walkers still have their "real" self alive and just not in control of their body anymore, since tezzeret theorizes in one of the side stories that the real ajani is still in his body, just suppressed, but its only a theory of his, no evidence to support it

though for nahiri, uh, she's dead. they used necromancy to reanimate her body but she's gone gone. :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

is that different from what happened to venser

Venser died died too (from a sickness he got in Dominaria) but he gave his spark to save Karn. His body got necromanced too but no soul or spark there

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ugh, literally just made a purchase through them like two days ago. definitely stopping there til further notice lmao, christ

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

This sounds like a really dumb question but is there any kind of site where you can buy singles of sleeves? I found out I'm missing two sleeves from what I thought was a stack of 99 and I don't want to buy a pack of sleeves just to take two out to replace them, and getting a new 100 pack just feels like shunting the problem off to the side :eng99:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i miss tiny leaders

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/1638620857882001408

speculation is we're getting a new set of flipwalkers to represent the new walkers sparking during the events of MOM, and maro just forgot about the one bolas flipwalker :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

tbh its also a lot easier if you're using the actual physical token discs they put in packs sometimes

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Khanstant posted:

How does time work on Magic planes? Is the arrow of time real and does it work the same.on each plane? Or is 3 days on some planes just a couple hours on another?.

Each plane has its own timeframe and the amount of time that passes is locked to only that plane, so yes a week on one plane could be a day on another etc. We just usually don't have to worry about time passing differently since this is like the first time we've had a story encompassing so many planes in a single set rather than a progression of a story across multiple planes and sets

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And then WotC doesn't even let her have that anymore. When they did Dominaria block and wanted Teferi around they changed the 1,500 time gap between Time Spiral block and present day to like 5 years tops. So she goes on a genocidal rage because she was spend a year in time out.

this happened pre time spiral/mending, she was in there for 6000 years (roughly)

edit: also teferi has been alive for literally several hundred years. there was literally enough time between the mending and war of the spark for his wife to die of old age and his daughter to become a full adult (and then some), so like. thats just factually incorrect, too

Mix. fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 30, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Strong Sauce posted:

sorry they were planechase planes but this is a non plane planechase card

phenomenons were in planechase 2012 so thats not a new thing, either :eng101:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I got to live the Jagantha into Atraxa dream earlier :getin:

Also Ayara is loving disgusting since it turns out her flip side's reanimation doesn't have the 'exile if it would leave the battlefield' clause so if you have a sac outlet you can just keep recurring the same creature each turn

like idk

atraxa

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

someone at one of our events yesterday pulled Horobi and immediately just did Backup.dec because it turns out you can target opponents' stuff with backup so he just turned every backup card into a creature with 'destroy target creature' as its text. it was loving nasty lmao

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I think it'll also depend on how much non-combat support we see - in one of the events I had Invasion of Fiora and some other battles like New Phyrexia and Innistrad and opponents kept having to play around the threat of it flipping because Marchesa flips a battle on an attack trigger without even needing to be attacking the battle, so it made them make bad blocks just to prevent that chain reaction, which did make a difference in multiple games

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

imagining a return to capenna where they find out there's a cache of powerful old capenna relics out in the wasteland so all of the families send out their own group to race to try to get there first (with a sixth planeswalker group also in the running)

it could even be the wild west-y vibes set to contrast the art deco stuff, that'd be neat

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im excited for the doc who precons :kiddo:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Did the unknown event and it was a blast even if I went 0-3 :3:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

rules question: can I run Plargg/Augusta in a deck that has Zirda as the companion, or would i need to have an activated ability on both sides for it to be a legal card in the deck?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i figured that was the case, but wanted to make sure :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

rules question: for myriad, i can respond to the end of combat exile trigger, right? so if i used blade of selves i could sac the token copies in response

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:getin: my in progress baba lysaga deck is getting a new toy, then

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

HootTheOwl posted:

Be careful, creatures usually only have one card type and two at most.
Token isn't a type and neither is legendary.

that is why the deck runs mostly artifact/enchantment/land creatures, yes :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I played a three person game this weekend with my Elenda deck and the opponent with Sen Triplets kept targeting the third person, a Grist player, with his commander's effect even after I had managed to stick a Cathars Crusade into getting seven 8/8 lifelink vampires twice in a row and rocketing my life total into the triple digits so frankly I think threat assessment in general is something more people need to work on :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Does anyone have any recommendations for how/where to sell really old Magic cards that aren't the kind of card you want to just toss into tcgplayer's automated buy-in form or whatever but also aren't, like, particularly chaseworthy and are only worth money due to scarcity? (context: i have a rasputin dreamweaver in pretty great condition in my binder i found at a yard sale that i am basically never going to use and would rather cash in to buy something else big but dont want to just, like. toss it into an envelope and shoot it over to tcgplayer lol)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I brought my Drake posted:

You could also try the SA Mart thread here. (Hell, I'd be down for it but not sure if you're willing to wait a few weeks.)

I'm not selling it for emergency reasons or anything and I've had it for a few years now, so its not like it's going anywhere. :v: If you wanted to DM me later if you're still into it you can do so and we can hash things out.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Errant technically uses a gun but it's a spray paint gun she infuses with mana to make her paint magic so I don't think that counts if the bullets are made of paint :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

but the best food token already exists :confused:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: the ring seduces you

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

well, i need this for my BW artifacts deck :shittypop:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Our LGS has three different designated commander "events" - the main one is on Fridays, paid event with prize support through a points system (get points for each player kill, points for being alive if the game goes to time, penalty for killing someone before their turn 6 if it's not a full pod kill, etc); on Sundays it's nonpaid casual where people are more there just to have something to do or to test decks with no pressure of losing out on anything, etc; and on like Tuesdays they do paid 1v1 commander that's more competitive and closer to cedh (I think they're considering finding a time for cedh too, if enough people show interest?)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jabor posted:

it costs 4 so when are you ever playing it?

there's this format called commander, you see

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I think a good game of edh lasts like 30-45, maybe a little longer if everyone's decks are even power and people just keep having answers for stuff (at which point you stop noticing how long the game is going because of how active the board state is), and it only really stands out as sluggish if someone is actively making it so (whether unintentionally if like. Theyre a new player, or the deck has a lot of moving parts. Or intentionally if, say, a player is playing stax. Or their combo is bad and takes forever, like the game last week where a monored urabrask player took 20 minutes to make their combo work enough to kill us while the rest of the pod just spent the time scrolling on our phones :v:)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/flavorjudgedraw/status/1667929685144076291?s=20

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

There was a series of art books that were basically deep dives into specific planes and had a lot of like encyclopedia text on locations, characters, events, etc. not as in depth as like. the xiv encyclopedia, but kinda in the same ballpark. i have a few of those on my bookshelf (zendikar, kaladesh, etc) and those are pretty neat, though im sad they only released a couple before stopping because it was fun to get lore for planes that couldn't be in the main stories

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

honestly they could probably just have a legendary with the text 'if you would create an army token of a creature type not already part of an army token, create a separate army token instead' (but, you know, cleaned up) and call it there

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

They shoulda put a single Valakut in as well :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

weird rules question, but if you make a creature with no name (like a morph/manifest) your ring-bearer the legend rule can't apply to it as it has no name altogether and therefore can't check against something else (including other morph/manifested cards), right?