Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Havana Syndrome cause Lib Brain
This poll is closed.
Microwaves to the head 2 2.30%
Mass psychosis caused by lib brain 16 18.39%
Jeb! 23 26.44%
CIA reverse psychology causing Havana Syndrome 6 6.90%
Putin causes Lib Brain via Havana Syndrome 9 10.34%
VOTE! 31 35.63%
THE CIA PUT A CHIP IN MY BRAIN (RIP Norm) 0 0%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I don't really think the vocal choices are that bad for some version of Mario, if you had to do it with celebrity VA for some loving reason, or if they were doing another live action abomination

but Charles Martinet is still alive and not actually ancient so why not just use him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

heinlein is one of those guys you could invent some premise like "a guy time-travels to the future to gently caress his own grandchildren" and i would believe he wrote that book

people say sci fi is about exploring contemporary social anxieties, but heinlein was someone who recognized it's actually very much about letting your personal freak flag fly and he should be respected for that

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

what if you live in an unincorporated area and they won't let you vote for city stuff tho

(it loving sucks, man)

you generally get to vote for county positions, presumably save a bundle on taxes while free-riding on city amenities and avoiding ordinances (if you want to raise chickens or w/e)

seems like a p sweet deal to me

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

I think there's a big difference between people who voted for Joe out of panic because "gently caress i don't know what to do here" and just are cringing through his presidency versus people who continue to support him. I voted for Obama twice; he started the three years I was bemoaning that Bush was sure to start once he got re-elected. Ayoops. What annoys me is a common thing in this forum of people who feel they "have to hand it" to Biden or have to be "fair" to him in a way they never would for Trump because Trump is a "fascist." That's just working backwards from a preconceived solution. I don't have to hand Biden poo poo. If he does a good thing, good. Trump made overtures to North Korea that, while incompetent, were legitimately good. Who cares, though, right? He sucks. You can note he did a good thing while viewing him as unacceptable. But people don't do that because nuance is dead in our culture. Trump is incapable of having done anything good (and to be fair, he did incredibly little, even less than I expected him to do when he came into office). Biden, therefore, must get praise when he does the smallest thing right. Half the time it's not even a true good: "Oh, he's stopped loving around in Yemen! Oh wait, never mind, all a lie." He doesn't deserve credit for not being Trump anymore than Clinton deserves credit for not being Reagan. Only Nixon could go to China, only Bill could kill Glass-Steagall, and I'm not looking forward to what only Biden can get away from, but Border Patrol whipping Haitians at the border like an antebellum painting isn't giving me high hopes.

I'm just very, very tired of the "gotta hand it to Biden" culture, not just on here, but even worse in the public at large. No. I don't. I'm not a registered Democrat anymore. I do not have to be invested in this dude's success whatsoever. He is a foreign entity to me. He is an opponent just like any other. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend. Etc.

imo the only thing you've gotta actually hand it to Biden for is following through on the withdrawal from Afghanistan that Trump negotiated (after foot dragging and not following all the terms but still)

it's one of the only really interesting counterfactuals of a second Trump term thus far b/c Trump takes the media much more seriously and you can easily picture him doing some dumb poo poo in response to the rabid mouth-frothing they did when it actually went down (otoh anything major would take effort that he wouldn't have wanted to expend, so he'd probably have just ineffectually bombed some kids or something... wait)

what makes it all the more delicious is that this single clearly good thing about his presidency is the deed that will earn him the eternal ire of the politically "serious"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

I like D&D 4e and I'm not afraid to say it

Epic High Five posted:

People of taste will not attack you for this, which is to say, prepare to be attacked

The real sickos are the 3.5 defenders

as a dedicated 4venger you have my blade

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

I still play 5e tho because I'm lazy

I mean yeah you play with the groups you can get and most people into RPGs enough to properly edition war have all played games that are mechanically (and otherwise) wayyyyy worse than 5e, which is bad more due to its mediocrity, laziness, and regression in design than because it's the worst thing ever

it's just the most frustrating poo poo ever because there are like a half dozen D&D-adjacent RPG's that are better designed, supported, and better fulfill 5e's putative design goals but it's still the "default" b/c of the brand name

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

World Famous W posted:

Pathfinder 1e is the best system, but on this subject I will actually yield

lol lmao

I'm quite enjoying Wrath of the Righteous tho

also Pathfinder 2E is somehow really implausibly good (definitely one of those games that I think are better designed, supported, and better fulfill 5E's putative design goals - just the way they run their playtests of new material as actual playtests is a world of difference from D&D Next)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

shadowrun owns as a setting because everything you encounter short of dragons or horrors is, like, largely just a guy. theres no great dwarven cities or orc tribes, theres just guys that are short and guys that are big. huge gently caress off troll working security at the club youre trying to get into? loves the mariners and has a car payment coming due. slicked-back elf corporate contact with a 15d6 social pool? stressed out over his failson being a pothead.

as a system its torture

you can't even make "which edition?" jokes about SR b/c everyone knows that it's all of them

4th was the closest to being decent and they catastrophically hosed up two subsequent stabs at fixing it before 6th edition came out with rules so bad everyone just gave up pretending it was salvageable

(also the metaplot has been unfun sorts of bad for ages, and they've yet to figure out a main edition hook that isn't more body snatchers for over two decades)

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 26, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

it definitely feels like a system that was designed to have a computer doing most of the work, a position which is validated by some excellent and a lot more just okay games

the RPG system(s) just don't work - the games are good not because they can automate the mechanics but because they largely ignore them entirely in favor of novel approaches (beyond limited thematic stuff like essence being a limit on 'ware and combining magic + machine)

ive been playing 5e SR for like five years now and dont even notice the jank until everything screeches to a halt when we realize that a particular spell requires cross-referencing three different pages across two books to figure out what happens

we really should just reskin another system as shadowrun but i think we're all brain-sick by now

but yeah we dont even touch the metaplot past like 2050

yeah the thing is that the core dice mechanics that 4e/5e share are just fine and once you get "basic" aspects of the mechanics a group can genuinely run it smoothly

until you actually need/want to use any of the involved mechanics as written, and then as you note it all goes to hell

when I say they hosed it up I don't mean that 5e made it worse, they just didn't make it better - 5e genuinely improved some things but introduced just about as much additional jank in other areas, so it feels like deckchair shuffling rather than an improvement (and Anarchy was similar, basically a bunch of half decent but underdeveloped ideas for streamlining that core you'd find in a first-draft google docs that they sold as a full product)

the basic setting concept is rock solid, and that + having good licensed products has been what has kept the franchise alive, but they really need to give the license to a non-fraudulent (in multiple senses) studio

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 26, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LGD fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 26, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Lmao that just reminded me that Biden dropped his promise to "decriminalize weed" by making it a schedule 2 drug like five minutes after he got into office.

really all you need to know is that Biden made explicit promises about giving people a specific amount of financial aid ASAP if they took the Senate literal days before assuming office, and then *immediately* reneged and had the party do a full throated publicity campaign insisting $1400 = $2000

when that’s how someone starts their presidency it shouldn’t be a surprise pretty much everything else gets dropped as well

I think they’re still at like 12 of 77 promised executive orders (mostly low impact, and pretty much all from the first month or two)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

though the attempts to spin the ongoing shitshow into a display of bounteous prosperity have occasionally been pretty funny

remember this bit?

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1410709115333234691?s=20

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rappaport posted:

Dragons are just cats, if housecats could grow to be the size of a building block

poo poo

poo poo

I mean yeah

Toothless in How to Train Your Dragon was explicitly modeled on a tabby cat one of the animators adopted (and panthers + few other animals)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Say what you want about me but I have not, will not, and will never donate to anything police related. ACAB.

says the forum cop wearing a blue badge :v:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Tom Brady seems to be losing, so big approve.

counting out Touchdown Tom at the half

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Rape wasn't a deal-breaker for d&d and that's goddamned loving sad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol at deciding a convo is over, throwing out a probe exactly equivalent to what was given for unambiguous rape apologia, and then buying an indulgence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

it's like he's trying to speed-run validating pre-existing criticisms of moderation