Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel like some of the stuff here with reference to the robot wars and the AIs and sims are inspired by Gregory Benford's inter-prequel Foundation's Fear, which would be a really deep dive by the screenwriters if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Odoyle posted:

Am I nuts or did Daneel Fuckin Olivaw just watch a bunch of people get hanged like the Laws of Robotics aren’t even a thing?

Loomer posted:

That 0th metalaw they invented presumably allows for some very flexible interpretation of 1, and by this point Daneel has been adapting to it for, what, a couple of thousand years?

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I agree it's likely R Daneel Olivaw.

It's been forever and day since I've read all the books, but R Daneel's big thing was his experimental positronic brain and the extremely flexible thinking it afforded him. For instance, if it had been R Giskard in his place, the robot that actually formulated/discovered the 0th Law, he would have likely gone catatonic since he lacked the flexibility of thought needed to apply it to the real world.

This is actually a plot point in the "Second Foundation Trilogy" that got written by Gregory Benford, David Brin, and Greg Bear after Asimov's death. Daneel and his group of Spacer-derived Zeroth Law robots are opposed by Earth-based robots who only recognize the Three Laws and as such think that Daneel is dangerous to humanity. I think they're even called the Calvinists, lol.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

EVERY SCIENCE FICTION SHOW MUST HAVE A 9/11

IT IS THE LAW

"The attacks changed everything" OH MY GOD

Back in 2001, there were people claiming that Al-Qaeda was actually inspired by Foundation: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/aug/24/alqaida.sciencefictionfantasyandhorror

So if anything 9/11 is copying Foundation and the show is bringing it back to the source!

twistedmentat posted:

Are people just speculating that the prime minister robot lady is Daneel because she's the only robot that we've seen so far? Or did she do something that suggests that its more than simply that

Prequel spoilers, but in the books her character is actually Daneel under an assumed name (though in the books the character is a male)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm pretty sure that space elevators, and many other concepts, were still decades away from conception when the source material was produced.

The idea of the space elevator as a theoretical concept is actually from the 19th century!

I may be completely misremembering this as it's been a while since I've read it, but doesn't the novel open with Gaal riding the space elevator down to Trantor?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Huh? I thought she was the "Warden" in the opening. That character looked like it might have been supposed to be her 35 years older.

The Warden is Salvor Hardin, the mathematician is Gaal Dornick.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The idea of people going crazy from seeing hyperspace reminds me of Larry Niven's Known Space.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of the Imperial mural, I feel like there was some inspiration from the Kryptonian mural from Man of Steel that Zod shows Clark, which makes sense given the Goyer connection.

Pham Nuwen posted:

No, that's "The Jaunt" by Stephen King.

I think in Known Space they just paint the outside of the ship.

There's also "Hinterlands" by William Gibson which has wormholes driving astronauts insane. I always confuse it and The Jaunt.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Too much sex in my Asimov was never a complaint I thought possible, but it's 2021 and here we are.

There's a lot of sex in the Foundation sequels, and to a lesser degree the prequels. I remember in the prequels Young Seldon goes to a part of Trantor where all the women are topless and his girlfriend decides to strip down too, and actually writing this out there's a planet in one of the sequels where all of the women are topless also.

There's also an older character in the two sequels who ends up having a lot of sex and I've always thought the character was meant to be a stand-in for Asimov.

Even in the original novels, a lot of the male characters have some creepy intentions for the few women mains.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Yes, but have you considered that the Mule might be an actual, psychic mule born on old Earth when Asimov conceptualized psychohistory, and repeatedly cloned through millennia to stop the Foundation and guarantee a dark age when equine rules the galaxy? I'd hate that show.

The first Foundation book I read was Foundation's Edge since I picked it up at a used book sale, I had only an extremely limited understanding of the original novels, so for some reason I had it confused in my mind that the Mule was a reference to Hari Seldon, which really confused me, especially when I went back and actually read the original books and had to slowly come to the realization that they were not the same character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is it just me or is the Vault in the show the Atlas from No Man's Sky?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Actually, speaking of Salvor Hardin, there was one bit around her in the third episode which frustrated me, when she says something like "Let's see what kind of violence we can deal to the Anacreonians." Just flew in the face of the famous Hardin maxim from the books - although I can also see how this whole process is part of her evolving into the mindset of the book-era Hardin (considering I think this is still 15 years before Hardin is introduced in the books).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Taear posted:

I wonder how much you need viewing wise to make it worth it for these platforms?
I work for a TV company and even I don't know anyone with Apple TV, nobody I know (even people super into Sci-Fi) have even HEARD of foundation.

Be interesting to hear how many people watch.

I know a few people who got Apple TV to watch Ted Lasso, which has definitely gotten at least some publicity.

There are a few Apple TV shows I've seen ads for on other places - definitely Foundation, Morning Show, and See. Foundation and See I've also seen billboards for in Manhattan.

In terms of online people, Foundation has been pretty heavily covered by both the AV Club and io9 - far more than either site covers See, Mythic Quest, or Servant, in terms of Apple TV's genre offerings.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

List of new characters was announced for season 2. From the names (Poly Verisof, Hober Mallow, Bel Riose, and the "Psychic Warlord of Kalgan" sounds like it's going to take from the final two stories of Foundation and both parts of Foundation and Empire. Though who knows to what actual degree.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I assumed that was just a given.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just read Alec Nevala-Lee's book Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction, which I would highly recommend if you are interested in either those four figures or the broader golden age of sci-fi in the US. The author uses those four men, and Astounding magazine overall, to look at the golden age, and man.... Asimov doesn't come across quite as bad as the rest (he's the only one who basically didn't destroy every personal relationship by the end of his life) but it's definitely a bit of being glad of never meeting your idols.

Hubbard everyone knows about, but Campbell and Heinlein really come across as grade A assholes. Heinlein's wife had to lie to him when he was on his deathbed that all of his friends were writing and calling to check in on him, because by then he had burned all his bridges and none of them wanted anything to do with him even when he was about to die.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Now that we're talking about this, I wonder if the Spacer-Baley novels would be 'easier' to adapt than Foundation? The stories themselves are just detective novels in weird places, cast Chris Meloni as Baley and I dunno, Tom Hiddleston as Daneel and just let them play the stories as presented.

The Bantam Spectra paperback covers in the 1990s clearly used Alec Baldwin as the basis for Baley and Odo from DS9 as Daneel.

https://www.clivemaxfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/maxncb-0033-02-isaac-asimov-the-caves-of-steel-naked-sun-1024x729.jpg

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For what it's worth, the only other adaptation I've seen on Apple is The Essex Serpent, which also departed pretty widely from the novel (though in a better way than Foundation). But I don't think it really matters because all three of these have different production houses, writers, showrunners, producers, etc.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ikanreed posted:

This season ends with "the empire is evil and you need to fight them with this superweapon" which isn't a direct refutation of that premise, but it's close.

Especially because in addition to everything else there’s a big point in the books, and which Seldon even explicitly says so it’s not even subtext but text, that the Empire isn’t evil or a net negative on the galaxy. And the Empire maintains positive, if nominal, relations with Terminus for decades, until the first crisis.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From what little has been announced for season 2, it seems like it's going to incorporate at least parts of the last three stories in Foundation, and the first half of Foundation and Empire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was weird and read Foundation's Edge first because I found a copy at a used book sale, and for some reason I was under the impression that the Mule and Hari Seldon were the same person. Which I wouldn't put it past the show to try and do!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

According to io9, Foundation has already been renewed for a third season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

lol, i remember something in... god i don't even know which book, it was like 20 years ago i read it, where seldon is in the body of a cheetaman ape thing having a fencing duel with another cheetaman using sticks.

I hope that ends up in a season of this show.

I’m not positive, but that sounds like one of the Foundation prequels written by other authors in the late 90s after Asimov died. I remember some really weird stuff in those, like a Matrix-like computer system and a planet of clockwork robots.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Robert Evans thought the first season was great, and he's apparently read the books, too. I don't know what to think anymore. Maybe we're just jaded and stubborn?

Wait, the guy who thinks throwing axes at bagels is the height of comedy has lovely taste?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

please cancel this

Woke mob CANCELS the Mule over non-consensual telepathy!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I'd like to see a good adaptation of Rendezvous With Rama, but they'd just turn it into some sci-fi thriller with jump scares and poo poo so probably best to leave that be.

Denis Villeneuve signed on to direct an adaptation of Rama. Assuming it ever gets made I’m sure he could do a good version of it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bitmap posted:

is the childhoods end miniseries any good

Yeah, I would say it's fine. Not great but not terrible. Charles Dance and Colm Meaney are definitely the best parts of it, though Dance's demon alien makeup is a bit hokey. It was supposed to be 6 45-minute episodes but very near to the debut they re-edited it to 3 90-minute episodes, so some of the pacing is kind of wonky. From what I remember they cut out a lot of the more futuristic stuff and exotic setpieces from the novel, obviously for budget reasons.

Also looking it up now on Wikipedia I had no idea that Charlotte Nicdao, aka Poppy Li from Mythic Quest, was in it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think a big problem I had with the Karellan makeup for the show is that I read Barlow's Guide to Extraterrestrials as a kid and his illustration of Karellan was what became cemented in my head:

The need to make a Karellan that could actually be done on a human actor limits that a bit, though I do personally think the TV version leans a bit too far into stereotypical demonic imagery.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 17, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Book-readers, did the books do this whole "computers are haram"/"spacers" proto-Dune stuff?

This is more of an element of the later books that Asimov wrote to tie Foundation into his Robot books (which to be fair, those later books are also where Demerzel and Raych are from). It’s more that in the distant past, robots stalled the early Spacer society into stagnation, so the later Settlers stopped using robots and they were the ones who went on to settle the galaxy, and the basic idea of robots were just forgotten.

I know the authors who did Foundation books after Asimov died incorporated simple robots into Trantor society but I don’t really remember a lot of them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowmanatee posted:

Yeah, most prestige TV shows have something like this nowadays. I've never listened to one before but I might give this a shot.

Only one I've listened to is Station Eleven and that was definitely a big recommend if you liked the show. Obviously this isn't possible with Foundation but for one episode they had the author of the Station Eleven novel on to talk about the differences with the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still say Michael Caine would've been a better Hari Seldon in the world of this show

Long before this show was ever a thing, I always pictured Hari Seldon as Alan Arkin in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is book and not show related, but I just had an article come out in an online open-access journal about reading the Foundation novels (mainly the original trilogy) through a solarpunk lens. I'll say I did originally want to include a bit about the show (and Apple TV's Extrapolations show also) but due to the word count limit, I just wasn't able to fit it in. Anyways, I thought at least some people here might enjoy it, so I'll drop the link here. Though there are some book spoilers, if anyone cares.

https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:62961/