Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I checked this show out after seeing reccs in the chat thread, and I also started rewatching Person of Interest for the same reason and drat, there are some serious overlaps. Not just with the Psychohistory and The Machine, but also an unprecedented act of terrorism (Space Elevator/9-11) that stirs up chaos and leaves the government desperate enough for a solution to let the hero start work on the project, and the creator of the predictive algorithm is a librarian exile accused of treason who the government wanted to kill to keep Psycho/Machine under wraps.

I would just say I'm seeing patterns in clouds, but the guy in PoI is straight up named Harry and they explicitly talk about him being an Isaac Asimov fan. Not saying PoI's writers were making a reference, but Harold's name on PoI is an alias anyway, and naming himself after Hari Seldon feels like an extremely Finch thing to do. :allears:

Anyway,
Really enjoying the show so far, love the world-building focus, though the first episode was more my jam than the second. Usually I like drama, but in this case I was getting more excited discovering brave new worlds and concepts (like the emperor and the weird math cube and people standing in the ocean on a platform and Gaal waking up during a jump and seeing crazy poo poo, drat that black hole effect for the jumps looked cool) rather than interpersonal conflicts, so I guess it's natural the first episode was gonna be the funs for me.

Ugh I just wanna see how Terminus and the Vault are gonna play out, I situations where everyone's starting from scratch. I wish that's what Raised By Wolves would have been, just a couple strange and friendly robots and their precocious children building a new society on a crazy alien planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

shirunei posted:

Bailed after episode 3, but does it get any better? I'm kinda of out of good shows to watch right now. The writing was beyond dogshit and it was already moving incredibly slowly in dumb awkward directions, especially that magic warden character. I remember the clones being cool, but they have no idea how to use Lee Pace and it is very disappointing coming off Halt and Catch Fire recently.

Not really. Every episode has had at least some interesting parts, but it's looking less and less likely that they're gonna suddenly turn this mess around.

The production is great, and the actors are perfectly capable, but they're just being given terrible material, like "Wormhole X-Treme" level dialogue. The emperor stuff is better, but the Foundation plot is real bad.

I've got a lot of free time, so I'm still gonna stick through for the season just for the occasion interesting spots and with the hope that they are going somewhere, just really slowly, but... drat, they really do keep cutting away from every interesting scene or plot in a way that just KILLS the momentum. Makes it feel very mystery-boxy, to me, like Lost. Writers just kicking the can down the road rather than ever having to resolve any of the dramatic tension they introduce.

I'm being a little unfair, but only a little.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

No? Literally in this show we see Gaal have limited access to the ship she's in, and just because the Warden is present on her new ship her boyfriend gave her doesn't mean everyone can use anything on it, that was the whole reason why they had to keep her alive.

And I would be absolutely SHOCKED if the Empire had such garbage security that a captain from another ship could walk onto one he's not in command of and just control any system he wanted. It's like the writers put 0 effort into thinking this through.

nanomachines

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Goddamn this poo poo sucks more and more every episode. My wife never read the books and is like, “Wait, why is anyone doing any of this poo poo? What even is the conflict?”

Like, why do the Foundation exiles even care if the huntress wants to take down the empire? Aren't they the bad guys anyway? I guess killing all the billions of people on Trantor isn't great but don't they believe that world is probably doomed anyway? How is this even a crisis for the Foundation, they aren't the targets here. When I took a second to think about it, the Foundation and the Anacreon's goals don't really seem to be as opposed as they're portraying it. gently caress, let em take the ship and leave at this point.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Book version of Salvor Hardin is the one who lives by the phrase "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

Show Salvor Hardin is the first one to reach for a gun

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

She was talking with her boyfriend or something during the assault, giving him a gun, and they actually had a stereotypical "You remember how to use one o' these?" "Just keep the point aimed at the bad guys. :clint:" exchange. That was the moment i just gave up on anything relating to Terminus.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 30, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Isn't the ship that Gaal is on... you know, the one whose computer is now running a copy of Hari's brain and being controlled by him... isn't that a robit

Also I just read an article about McDonalds replacing staff at their restaurants with IBM's AI. Would the Three Laws allow an AI to serve a McRib with Cheese to a customer, or is that considered harm? Really makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I've started imagining the huntress as a pakled and I find this makes her significantly more endearing.