Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

blunt posted:

Every* citizen already has a HD camera in their pocket?

Or is the intention for the person being arrested to be the one making the recording? Because i'd imagine a discrete body cam might often spontaneously break on the journey from the arrest site to the cell.

I'd be hoping for something with a 4g/5g connection that can stream the recording to A Cloud, if I were looking for something like that.

So basically a phone but I imagine the idea is to be a bit less obvious than holding it right up in front of your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ALDI brand too, looks like.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s not like it’s news that we’re living in a cyberpunk dystopia. It’s been that way for a decade and a half already. Private corporate armies when?

Good news! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_(company)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's 3 major parties now?

You've never heard of the SNP?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think it was the red cross that showed on both a global and national scale, the richest 10% of people create 50% of emissions. So the 10% richest countries do 50% globally, and 10% richest people in those countries do 50%, of emissions.

Thing is though, the 10% richest people of the 10% richest countries aren't, actually, Learjet-havers. There's a massive difference between the 10% (of the First World) and the 1%.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

Vindication for hero clegg

Lol at the Greens being on level pegging with the Lib Dems tho

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sorry for your loss

Are you, though?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A boomer so boomy it could rival the big bang

'"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".'

700BC, contemporaneous with Homer, literally among the first works of classical literature we have available to us.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well he can and he can't. The Prime Minister has almost no constitutional power, he "advises" the queen on the appointment of ministers (and a bunch of other government positions). The point is though that that one bit of hard power gives him basically unlimited soft power because if any minister tries to force through a change he doesn't like he can just replace them. In fact in theory he doesn't even have to actively sack them, cabinet collective responsibility means that any minister who disagrees with the collective decision of the cabinet (which is of course made up entirely of ministers he can hire and fire) has to resign, although in this post-consequences world I only give it a few months before that's out the window too.

With the caveat that he might then face a leadership challenge ofc, especially if its the Chancellor. The Blair/Brown dynamic. Home Sec tends to be more a poisoned chalice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

East London and Essex Goons - try not to look too much like an Afghan wedding, the USAF are looking for trouble

(Flypast going over Tottenham for the NFL game if anyone's interested)

Bah I've been on base at RAF Lakenheath several times and never once even been waterboarded (better facilities/BX than Mildenhall or Croughton, too, though not a patch on Kaiserslautern I'm told)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have 6 cans of co-op sliced carrots 'best before' Oct 2021 (bought 2 years ago for the brexitocalpyse) so I'm having half a can a day. Yuck. They are foul.

No way you can hide those in something? In your situation I would be making a bunch of (heretical) Cornish pasties or maybe some sort of curry to disguise the taste.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

You could go door-to-door telling people both parties are poo poo.

Didn't know you were a lib dem

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

So Insulate Britain would be giving everyone lots of insulin.

Isnt that..fatal for non-diabetic people?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

But the food is cooked by a Mexican head chef who is big on the field to fork philosophy, so it couldn’t be anything else?

So anything I cook, from sweet and sour chicken to fajitas to jollof rice, is now 'British cuisine' because I'm British but if my wife makes the same thing its American cuisine? I have to think you're trolling here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was today years old when I heard of Stallman.

I met him in person 20 years ago. I've also met Eric Raymond. Both different varieties of free software nutso.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1447197982923935747

I think the equivalent in this case would be me making "yorkshire puddings" out of glutinous rice flour and "beef gravy" out of soy sauce.

When, to add, the proper ingredients are actually readily available.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Noxville posted:

You can’t grow avocado in this country though, you’d have to fly it half way around the world.

There isn't some magical attribute of avocados that means you can only grow them in California, ours often come from Spain. At what point do you draw the line of 'it has to be this local or not be used' because if every restaurant is reliant on literally their own back garden then no doubt that's very worthy but you're going to get some very limited food.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

once again UKMT lives up to the title of "most easily trolled thread on SA"

I don't recall seeing either of those posters post in here before tbh

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

terrorism generally implies more than one person involved in the act

It really doesn't have to, actually.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

i say swears online posted:

this thread was the furthest left on the whole forums like ten years ago, with mccaine posting his morning star articles. it's much more conservative now hth

I'm not sure that's true err also who are you?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aginor posted:

Love this.

What always concerns me about this forum is how weirdly passive aggressive you all are. A man died today and whether you believed in his politics or not it is not right for someone to walk into a place and stab someone to death.

So, if I was walk in and murder you Skeletone what would you like people to say about you? That you deserved it?

Also, who are you?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

He's usually pretty decent but, predictably, completely lost his mind about corbyn

I mean. He's Jewish, and he writes for the Graun. The whole 'Corbs is Hitler 2.0' thing bit deep. Same with Hadley Freeman (though she's also pretty loving TERFy which is a whole other issue).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely do not believe more than a tiny fraction of the people spouting that stuff actually believed any of it, Jewish or not. They all knew it was dogshit. I understand that a less politically engaged person seeing all the headlines might have gotten anxious and assumed their was some truth to the allegations, but not the people actually moving in journo/media circles. Perhaps some of them managed to repeat the mantra enough that they started to convince themselves, I guess, but Jay Rayner seems like a smart enough guy to know when something's fishy.

I mean my own otherwise generally liberal/lefty not-Tory Remain-voting parents told me they couldn't vote for Corbyn because of 'all those people he'd let into the party', they voted Lib Dem in 2019. People believed this poo poo. I don't find it hard to believe a food critic bought into it too, tbqh.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nurmie posted:

aw poo poo, i was wondering what happened to the one on Barking road, didn't know they'd shut down entirely :smith:

I literally moved to Barking, was vaguely aware that it was a thing and then ~suddenly lockdown~ so I never got to try my local one.

And now I'm moving to Forest Gate in a month so rip i guess.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jaete posted:

I wish I shared your optimism on this, but I'm feeling more like "citation loving needed" on some kind of enabling act leading to an actual war.

Who would start such a war against the tories? The queen? How many divisions has she?

Or are you saying that General Sir Nonce-Royal "we would definitely coup Corbyn" Poncington and his lot would be... against the tories here? I mean, what?

Or would France suddenly invade? Or space aliens?

I dunno m8 hopefully I'm wrong

Covenanters, obvs

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just make cigarettes really big or something so they're too unwieldy to actually smoke and everyone will give up as it's too much hassle and you look a pillock trying to do it.

So....a cigar then?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jaete posted:

Eh, I feel like bringing Corbyn back wouldn't even work at this point. From the general public's point of view he had his chance, the majority of voters still hate his guts thanks to the relentless media campaign and that campaign would only intensify further if Corbyn were to come back somehow.

Because the Labour right as dumb as rocks, obviously they don't understand this and thus are still panicing about Corbyn.

Or its just revenge.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soo the perennial 'which ISP is good'. I was happy with Zen with my Unlimited Fibre One (14 quid line rental, 10 quid fibre a month) but now when I go on their website to get internet at the new place the lowest speed option they'll offer me is 38 quid a month, not counting line rental, for an 18 month contract which seems just a bit steep. Possibly it doesn't help my new address doesn't have fttc apparently?

I know about Andrews and Arnold, had them before and liked them except you get a 500 gig a month download cap and then have to pay to top up. However, given their ADSL option is 35 quid with copper pair, Zen have somehow succeeded in making them look cheap. Any other decent options?

Edit: I guess I can do A&A with a 6 month contract and switch if I need to later.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 21, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

oxford_town posted:

e: 89 is the ISBN group identifier for books published in South Korea.

have any MPs of any party been seriously ill with covid?

Uhh Bozza had it pretty rough for a bit there. I dunno about that just being caution, he looked terrible.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

stev posted:

We should really get an entirely new anthem when a monarch dies. Like with the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure opening tracks.

'You noble Diggers all, stand up now, stand up now,
You noble Diggers all, stand up now,
The wast land to maintain, seeing Cavaliers by name
Your digging does maintain, and persons all defame
Stand up now, stand up now.

Your houses they pull down, stand up now, stand up now,
Your houses they pull down, stand up now.
Your houses they pull down to fright your men in town,
But the gentry must come down, and the poor shall wear the crown.
Stand up now, Diggers all'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

They'd say it was something else.

She's probably had the good vaccines though so it's unlikely the rona will take her.

At her age, if she did get it, even with the good vaccines it's a massive risk. But then so is, like, regular flu to a lesser extent.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also exactly what proportion of prisoners does he think have a HGV licence? Never mind running off with the lorry, they'll just plough into the nearest Tesco Express.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I'm prepared for some discomfort (I've got candles, a couple of fully-charged power banks, and some tinned and dried food) because between one thing and another I can see maybe having to go a few days without fresh food or electricity or gas, but if any of those things go away for more than a week[1] then they're never, ever coming back and the sort of preparations you make for that are altogether darker.

Mind you I do have a plan for that too - it mostly involves making sure I get decent birthday and Christmas presents for my sister and her husband, with their lovely semi-rural house with it's garage full of motorbikes and well-concealed cabinet containing his multiple (fully licensed, officer!) shotguns.

[1] Obviously if you're living in a much more remote area than having provisions for a month or more makes sense because it's not inconceivable even if things go well that some freak event might knock out your power for a while - ISTR some places went almost two weeks without power after the big storm in 1987 because of the sheer amount of downed power lines. But I live in the middle of London (not sure if I've ever mentioned that before) and I can feel pretty confident in saying that if we lose power long enough for me to get through my stash of cheap eastern European noodles and tins of spaghetti hoops then society itself has broken down to "Final act of Threads" levels.

My plan is to gather the East London goon massive in my palatial house and form a heavily armed commune. I probably have the skills and enough servos to make some robotic death turret guns too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not saying the power going down for a week will cause the breakdown of society on it's own. I'm saying if society has broken down to the point that the *UK* power grid goes down for a week then it's already broken down past the point where it's likely to come back. There are plenty of circumstances where the grid goes down of course - hell it could happen tomorrow with just the right combination of cold, still weather, power station maintenance and failures in the DC interconnects to the continent - but in each of them power can be restored to at least a rolling blackout standard within 24 hours.

I mean you say that but I was in the US for this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003 and it wasn't a week but it was definitely more than a day before we got power of any sort back. The '4-8 hours' in that webpage is a straight up lie in so far as it applies to Delta Township, Michigan.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I got hit by a car as a kid. Totally my fault, was out racing bikes with friends, didn't look as I crossed the main road & I t-boned a car (at least that's how I think it happened, I have no recollection between listening but not looking at the junction & waking up lying on the road. Apparently did a very impressive somersault over the bonnet). My left leg was just a big bruise for 2 months afterwards. Somehow I got away with a chipped tooth & the world's worst dead leg but it totalled my bike which must've been less than 6 months old, that was a gutter.

Got out of school sports day so it wasn't all bad.

Worst I've had was getting ploughed under by someone riding a bike in freshers' week at uni, which made for some impressive bruises. Knock on wood, I've never been hit by something with an internal combustion engine.

I get bottled water because my wife is boogie, but it is handy in that it has a top on it so the cat can't knock it over/try and shove his face into it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

An even earlier example from 1988 ish is when yours truly who was the only person working on a particular extremely large project had a file on her desk entitled "Run Over By A Bus" file where my innermost secrets of how to do the job were kept with regularly updated notes.

I had to write up an enormous wiki when I left my job at Sophos which was basically 'the care and maintenance of ancient commercial Unix machines' since I was the only bugger who knew how to do that, company wide, there.

Didn't stop various recruiters sending me job offers for months after for what was very clearly my old job; they can't have had much luck because a few months later Sophos dropped support for HP-UX (the most obscure of the three commercial Unixes we supported) altogether.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can the cat operate the taps?

Wouldn't put it past him, but I don't normally drink directly from the tap myself, I prefer to put tap water in a glass ;p

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Can I recommend buying a reusable water bottle with a cat-proof cap?

I mean you can but my wife is still going to make me buy bottled water, sooo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Putting aside the whole "rich white person demanding that everybody else suffers" thing for a moment, she's probably right.

There are enough people in the UK in poverty that for a large portion of the population, wartime-style rationing would lead to an increase in quality of diet

You realise rationing isn't free food right? You still gotta buy it you're just restricted in what you can buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Makes a lot of sense that around the 19th/early 20th century the army was complaining that they couldn't get any recruits that passed the bare minimum of physical standards.

There's a bit in William Shirer's Berlin diaries around the start of WW2 comparing the weedy, pasty, scurvy-ridden British recruits with the healthy ruddy cheeked Hitler Youth guys. Like all that hiking camping rifle practice they did? there was a reason for that poo poo.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 28, 2021