Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's no way Rs will ever vote for her after having a D beside her name right

If she's a grifter, she can just ride a "I WAS A DUMBOCRAT UNTIL I LEARNED THE RIGHT AND GOOD TRUTH OF OUR SAVIOR DONALD TRUMP AND ST. RONNIE!" line to victory and republicans will eat that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What does that mean, exactly?

Imagine if someone gave you the address to a random tacobell in a state over, and you had to get there without asking directions or using any sort of map or navigation aids.

edit: beaten.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I am 100% certain it was an automated deployment, and they had no redundancy to handle if a major network change went bad.

IAC strikes again?

I know it won't, but could you imagine how much better the world might be if they accidentally broke facebook beyond any repair somehow.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

In this example you are a ferryman living in New Zealand, Luca is the Internet and the ball is Facebook.

Best analogy right here.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MonkeyWash posted:

A reminder that if you have a VA rating for anything that requires depression meds that cause performance issues, you may be entitled to Special Monthly Compensation K, for loss of a creative organ. It is an extra $111.74 a month and it stacks on your other payments.

What's defined as a "creative organ"?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

Encryption just slows down how long it takes to get the actual password (by decrypting it), it's never foolproof. It is basically there to buy time for everyone to reset passwords so that the data is outdated by the time it is decrypted.

To clarify, if you force your users to use caps, specials, and numbers, AND your users don't tend to reuse passwords AND your users aren't using pre-cracked passwords [password123,admin,etc,etc] AND you are using a "secure" encryption algorithm AND salting your hash it can take an extremely long time to crack a password.

Without shortcuts even if your password is somewhere in RockYou.txt it can take a really really long time to crack.

If you're a big time streamer though, lol get wrekt because you're the first one anyones gonna try to crack.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 6, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

There is a case to be made that passwords, in the way they are now, need to go.

Also, does twitch do 2FA? If more people used things like that we would have way better security.

Queue the security expert telling me I am wrong and freaking me out with horror stories in 3....2....1...

No, 2FA is good, so long as it isn't SMS based.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How do sting operations like this end up happening? Do Law Enforcement just approach randos and go "hey interested in selling nuke secrets lol?" or is there some prior incident that makes the government go "eh, these two are probably waiting for an excuse to sell secrets lets get them"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Midjack posted:

Wow how does this loving guy think plea deals work for white men?

Judges don't generally think about the justice system in that way as far as I can tell.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I can still think of myself as a good person and be A-Okay with child molestors being met with 8th amendment breaking punishment in our penal system.

Personally, I think incarceration should be there to rehab people instead of to inflict vindictive damage on people, may as well execute people at that point for all the good the later does to society and for victims.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

I get what you’re saying, but child molesters should never be part of your argument if you are in favor of prison reform, even if you are 100% inarguably correct.

I mean it's going to get brought up if prison reform is ever brought up.

"Hey, maybe we shouldn't treat prisoners sub-humanely?"

"WHAT ABOUT CHILD MOLESTERS!?"

*and the prison reformer is thus undone*

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So what does that mean for people who got the J&J shot back in April/May, they've missed that booster window by about half a year at this point? Do they go through another series or do they just get the booster and the efficacy is similar?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DO IT!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

If he goes full GOP it makes it potentially much harder to do very basic things like appoint a judge. Not like SCOTUS but just any ole judge.

The dude is pretty annoying, but losing him hurts functional government process worse than drat near any other D senator.

I don't see it particularly mattering in the long view of things.

Theory 1) Joe Manchin flips and the GOP have 51 senators for a little less than a year, then the GOP takes control of everything because the democrats didn't post election reform before this happened.

Theory 2) Joe Manchin doesn't flip and the Democrats start kissing his shoes and beg him please don't leave, and the GOP take control of everything at the end of 2022 because Joe Manchin doesn't want to do election reform.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://defector.com/42-seconds-after-this-photo-was-taken-police-shot-peyton-ham-dead/

This happened less than 50 miles from me. If the local DC Area news reported it, it was for a single day, tops.

quote:

They felt they wouldn’t need to speak up, because they trusted the system to work as it was supposed to.....The Raleys now say they regret their silence. As the family stayed quiet and the state attorney’s office did nothing, the story essentially went away.

You gotta be either really oblivious, extremely uncritical of thought, or pretty drat racist at this point to believe cops are gonna see any sort of punishment for shooting anyone outside of something so egregious local cops/attorneys throw them under the bus for potentially ruining a good gig for them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've gotten food poisoning every time I've been to six flags. This dude must have an iron stomach.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stravag posted:

Yeah its some deal that apparently includes 2 free meals a day. Thats the best year pass ive ever heard of

I will say if you enjoy six flags, that season pass is a real good deal. Go twice, Go to the water park a few days after school lets in after summer break and basically have it to your self and then go to fright fest and you've made your money back on parking alone.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lawgoons, is that common or not? It feels like if the system presumes innocent until guilty you really shouldn't be calling victims, victims in a courtroom. I could just be wrong though and looking too deeply into what innocent until guilty actually means practically speaking.

Not saying it's not hosed, because it is hosed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

You be surprised the amount of stuff that gets reported, VAERS gets used as data source to point out that Yes vaccines have horrible side effects. Of course they have to remove the context of where they got the information and include the disclamer VAERS data buried deep in their website.

Still if all the information in VAERS is true, then all the vaccines have a death rate of 0.01% vs COVID actual death rate of ~1%.

I got a V-SAFE questionnaire two weeks ago, and I said I had developed a chronic cough[probably unrelated], I got someone from the CDC calling me up to submit a VAERS report the next day.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don’t think most of the country needs a reminder of what the Republican base is

No, there are people out there who fall for trickle down theory and putting their toe in the fascism pool. These people need to be constantly reminded about what they're actually supporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You might want to check YouTube for a how-to video because the higher fat content of Wagyu means it can cook differently than other proteins.

It'd be a shame to spend have spent the extra and then wonder why the quality isn't readily apparent in the end product.

Cut super thin and fry in a ripping hot pan for ten seconds and eat right off the pan is the best way imo.