Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

IOwnCalculus posted:

It definitely trends that way, but if a car is such a trivial thing that you think you need to buy another one, why do you expect the husband to do it instead of just buying one on your own?

It edges into ESH territory just for the fact that neither of them are talking to each other enough to understand what they're buying for their children on their birthdays, but the OP is absolutely the greater rear end in a top hat for her wild assumptions and not remotely understanding the difference between "18 year old with disability" and "16 year old with a hot-off-the-press license".

Depending on the state he may not even be able to get his real license for a few months/a year.

I get him feeling like poo poo because his mom set him up to. When I was 16 if my mom had hinted that I would be getting a car I wouldn’t been an insufferable little shut about it. I put it 98% on his mom and 2% on the step dad for never, like, talking to his wife at all about a several hundred dollar purchase of a gift for her son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I would also argue that the 16yo is a bit of a sook. Storming off and sulking in his bedroom coz he didn't get a car.

*puts on old man voice* When I was his age I'd have been thrilled to get a brand new gaming console for my 16th birthday. And to expect to be gifted a car when you are still a teenager reeks to me of *old man voice intensifies* the entitlement of the youth of today

I mean he expected it because his mom hinted at it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is getting financing from the dealership ever not a complete scam?

Reputable places don’t do the finance themselves but partner with a bank. They’ll typically not give you as good a deal as the bank themselves would’ve (the bank says we’ll finance this person at 3%, the dealership makes you an offer of 3.5% and pockets the .5%. If you went directly to the bank maybe they give you 3.25%.)

But if you get pre-financed and the dealership wants to see if the banjo will beat your pre-financed number it’s not a bad idea to listen.

Places that actually do the financing themselves (buy here pay here) are complete scams though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

I can only think of a single person who's had something like a successful career starting wrestling post-40. If he's a hardcore wrestling fan he should know what an unbelievably stupid move he's making.

And that dude isn’t 5’8 and “husky.”

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sisal Two-Step posted:

From a guy who definitely didn't cheat:

AITA For telling my sister she can’t go on a vacation that was supposed to be my honeymoon with my ex?

His entire family doesn’t even believe him. Incredible.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

lol it's my dad

"Oh, you'll just have to eat out less" you son of a bitch I eat out once a week, maybe less than that!!

When we talked over Christmas he was genuinely shocked, shocked, that I hadn't paid my student loans off yet.

When I got my first “real” job some guy there gave me poo poo because I brought “expensive” lunches. They were pita bread sandwiches. Apparently if only I used cheaper bread my $50k of student debt would’ve just melted away.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA ripping up my brothers apology letter and screaming at him to just leave me alone we aren’t family

Wait she dated this guy 8 years without noticing he was dating her brother?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA For Scaring Dad From Barging In

“Exposing myself to him” by having her shirt off alone in her room.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mom's having the baby, mom gets to decide who's there at the birth. The problem here is that it's a reddit relationship so obviously they wouldn't talk about it beforehand and you have an OP who just fucks off home because obviously the doctors can just handle whatever crisis might pop up along the way.

Naw. If you’re not going to have the husband there you need a reason. It’s expected that he’s going to be there for the birth of his child now.

Now, we’re getting half the story. She could have a very good reason. But just springing “no I don’t want you in here” on him while in labor would be very lovely.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hardship clause. If it is literally impossible to prevent or would save a life, it's ok to let a meal/item go kashrut as long as you make a good faith effort to minimize its impact afterwards. Strict religious observation is not worth more than a human life.

Religion has been around long enough to allow people to ponder all the absurd hypotheticals.

See, I think Judaism and Islam have this but at least in the evangelical Christian branch I was brought up in we were expected to loving die before denying Jesus.

Like it was drilled into our heads that there would probably be a day where somebody had a gun and told us they’d shoot our whole class if we didn’t deny Jesus, and the right move there was to let them shoot everybody. It was hosed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I grew up in that environment, and that particular point was screwed up enough that I'd forgotten all about it. I remember thinking in Sunday School, nobody else would actually do this, they'd all just pray for forgiveness and tell a lie, right?

I totally bought into all that poo poo at that age and thought that was now I would probably end up dying. In reality I probably would’ve just poo poo my pants and give a Hail Satan or whatever they wanted.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for refusing to be an egg donor for my aunt?

This is why I stopped explaining my “no” to a lot of people a long time ago. Someone asked me to help them move recently. I don’t know this person that well and I’ve never asked him for anything and never plan on it. I could’ve started the excuse game of “oh my kid has something that day/I have to work/my back is trash” etc but that always turns in to people trying to poke holes in your reasons. “It’s fine we’ll do it the next day! You don’t have to lift anything heavy!” Etc.

So now I just say no. When they ask why I just say “I just can’t.”

Not to everybody. Some people I’m closer with and know they’re reasonable I’ll give explanations to. But I don’t give them by default anymore.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Blastedhellscape posted:

This could be a harmless clash of lifestyles like vampire-dude says, but I bet the room the guy's wife keeps airing out is horrifyingly gross.

When someone can smell themselves you know it's awful.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Invisible Clergy posted:

:murder: gf, preferably with some kind of ingested poison. "Why are you being such a baby? You're fine. I ate this all the time, you're faking. Get up."

I thought grapes were dangerous for mechanical reasons: the dog will swallow them whole and may choke on them. Is there a chemical in grapes that is poisonous to dogs? I don't think there's any theobromine in them and I don't think they're alliums like onion/garlic/shallots.

Apparently it's still kind of unknown why grapes cause dogs to have renal failure, although I found one article that said it was the tartaric acid in them. It's a chemical thing, whatever it is.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I don’t get the secret recipe thing at all. I’ve brought printed copies of recipes to get-togethers when I’m making something I know people there might really like.

My aunt had a secret pepperoni dip recipe she wouldn’t give out. Now she’s dead and I don’t get the pepperoni dip. Thank goodness the integrity of the recipe I’m sure she got off a box of cream cheese is intact though.

Edit:

Invisible Clergy posted:

This is correct. This is the reason why mommyblogs have a 10,000 word novel about how the author went to Tuscany on her gap year before giving you the recipe: that's the copyrightable part.

I think that’s more about SEO.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Vim Fuego posted:

Stick a fork in it, it's done

You rang?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

deety posted:

So... Sister bought the house years ago for $375, and OP feels like he's been ripped off because now it's worth something in the high $400s after a nationwide spike in home values? She may have gotten a good price on it, but it's not uncommon for folks to sell at a discount to family even when "a free place to live for the rest of your life" isn't part of the deal. And that raise in value seems pretty in line with what's gone on in the housing market. If their dad couldn't afford to keep the house, it would have been sold to a stranger anyway, and the following years of rent payments (on top of the debt, medical costs, etc.) also would have made a noticeable dent in OP's inheritance.

If there's a reason to suspect that their father had some kind of diminished capacity at the time of the sale, then sure, look into that. But at first glance it sounds like the sister took on the strain of a second mortgage to keep dad comfortable at home in his final years, and now OP's all outraged over not getting a third of whatever the price difference is between the home's market value at the time of the sale and $375 + years of property tax and upkeep.

I could see OP thinking that he should have been told at the time that all this happened, but that depends on what kind of relationship he had with his father. My family is all up in each other's business about things like that, so if I wasn't told about a house sale, that would be a big red flag. If OP and his dad had that level of openness, OP would have mentioned that to support his argument though. Instead he was happy to let the sister who stayed nearby handle the day-to-day effort of supporting their dad only to swoop in at the funeral and criticize the way things were handled while he was checked out.

Yeah it’s something that in my family I would’ve wanted to know about, but I can see why they didn’t tell him from what he’s doing now. I don’t know why inheritance brings out the worst in everyone.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I feel bad that the shitbag lady got fired, I think the sister should have called CPS rather than that... but I mean it was also a totally reasonable thing to do, so I don't feel that bad.

I would much rather be fired than have CPS get involved with my kids. I’m not anti-CPS; my wife is a social worker. But it’s a huge headache with massive risks if CPS comes knocking.

Runcible Cat posted:

If it's escalated to the point of dad's got to sell the house to get out of debt then it seems reasonable to involve all the siblings at that point and see if they can contribute. As it is,

He's not wrong. He's kind of an rear end in a top hat for the not-my-kids and the apparent utter unawareness of anything going on with dad's life before showing up at the funeral going welp where's my third of the loot drop then, but sis did score herself the entire house out of it without giving her brothers a chance to contribute. Maybe they could have given dad the full value of the house if they'd teamed up and agreed on percentage shares...

Though I find it hard to call her the rear end in a top hat for that, since it looks rather like both brothers buggered off and left her to do the daily dad maintenance stuff. I'd want to know a lot more about the family dynamics before pronouncing judgement on them all.

His sister got a house, but she paid most of the value (OP doesn’t mention how long ago she bought it so it could’ve been very close to the value at the time) and then did not collect any rent on the property, while also paying taxes etc. She may have come out ahead in the whole deal but for all she knew he was going to live to 90 and she would’ve taken a huge loss.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, we don't know so we can't really judge. I like the idea that the brothers were checked out in every respect and sister scored herself the family home, but there's no way of telling from what's been posted whether the brothers would have helped out or co-bought the house if they'd been asked.

But as far as we can tell from that post they weren't given the chance.

I think my main issue with how you’re framing it is that she didn’t “score” the house. At absolute best, she scored the difference in value between the house at the time she bought it and the price she paid, minus what she could’ve collected in rent over the (?) years she let him live there, and any taxes or fees she paid as the homeowner.

There’s not nearly enough information provided to determine how much that score was, but it was well south of the value of the house.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just send them an invite to the wrong venue, eight hours away. "It's just a prank!"

Send them to a (I’m making a tiny logical leap from the subjects they interrogated OP’s fiancée about) gay wedding.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why does a gay couple need to deal with these assholes on their special day?

Fair point. Perhaps instead have an officiant there who believes they’re there for a large poly wedding to each other.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Foo Diddley posted:

a lot of MLM places do culty bullshit like this. i don't think i ever heard of it happening at a legit company, though

My workplace has a pretty cringy thing that is not religious at all. We have a daily meeting and at the end we have to bring up someone, every day, from the manufacturing floor to say thanks to and thank them for whatever good thing it is they did.

Which I’m sure was meant as a good thing, but 1) every day is too much 2) everyone knows we have to do one a day so they know they’re only up there because we had to pick someone and it isn’t as sincere and 3) for some reason our plant manager (micromanaging rear end in a top hat) insists on filming them all and posting them to our Teams channel for…??? to watch.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sisal Two-Step posted:

So she was enough of a strict hardass to force this kid to spent every waking hour doing school work but the second she gets any kind of push back at all, she folds on every demand and lets her 13 year old son run the show. Just the worst of both worlds in terms of parenting.

She has no idea how to deal with him as a person. When he was a young child he was just this thing who obeyed her because he never thought not to, and as soon as she had to actually deal with him in a way that required understanding that he’s a human being she had no clue what to do.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mx. posted:

AITA For Uninviting My Parents To My Wedding After They Called My Fiancé A Cradle Robber?

It’s very nice to see sane reactions to insane parents.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Keromaru5 posted:

I'm no expert on childbirth, but the horror stories keep reminding me of how indigenous Peruvian women give birth vertically, which is apparently a lot safer.

Squatting is more natural and in a lot of ways is better than laying for the mother. It’s harder for the doctor though, and I suppose you couldn’t use an epidural standing up.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

It's sad when people are so bad at managing give-and-take in a relationship that everything suddenly becomes explicitly transactional.

Yeah, he eventually got where he needed to go but got there the wrong way. Regardless of if she’s giving blowjobs her requests were unreasonable. Bringing that up just muddied the waters.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

You're right about that, but: he asked for a massage, she gave up after 5 minutes saying she was bored and her hands hurt, and she still didn't get what he was trying to communicate. Not sure where you go after that without a, uh, dramatic counterexample.

You just say no and explain why. If they get it then they change, if they cannot understand it then you move on. Maybe if you already have kids you try and work it out in therapy, but I wouldn’t put that much effort into keeping dating this person.

When you say what he said all she hears is “I don’t want to massage you, you don’t blow me,” which isn’t what he said, but it’s going to be what she hears. And that misses the problem. The problem isn’t that she doesn’t do enough period. The problem isn’t that she doesn’t do enough relative to him (there’s that too but it wasn’t his main point). The problem is she’s asking him to do too much, period. The more you keep it to that the better the problem can be managed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

snergle posted:

morally not literally. she thinks bringing a life into this world is bad not that its impossible. if i had to guess its because you know this is a hell world and there a literally thousands of kids to adopt.

does dementia make you just drop your mask or does it make you do stuff you would never do. i assume its a bit of both.

There’s definitely plenty of the latter. There are many forms of dementia but at least some of them cause massive personality changes and a completely distorted worldview.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Doc Hawkins posted:

what really gets me is her telling him that "no talking" is one of the rules

No talking, no watching a show, two full hours, it’s crazy enough that I kind of doubt it’s real. But if it is, holy poo poo.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

is the alarm not going off when the fire exit is used also a code violation?

I mean it’s totally fine to have a door that goes back to your dumpster which is also a fire exit. The alarm is more to prevent misuse than anything.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Narcissism is a beast, man

"I wasn't harsh at all, I just said that clothing made her look fat and the makeup made her look like she's a whore. Is that so bad? I was only giving my opinion; she didn't have to take it!"

I do enjoy, however, that the daughter knows she has the power and is wielding it like a drat queen.

The daughter who, by the way, is a successful engineer and seems to be doing really well in life. Guess her dying her hair or whatever the mom harassed her about didn’t get in the way of her “potential” after all!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Halloween Jack posted:

If they want to murder someone, why can't they just drop a bomb on the wedding they're attending, like a normal country?

It sounds like a classic example of the aggressive narcissist who just has to test the limits, because there has to be a winner and a loser in every human interaction.

I constantly have to remind myself that some people think that way. My family is relatively normal and my wife is great but her mother is a pure narcissist. Something as simple as us taking our kids to the zoo (which is nearby, and we have a membership so we go pretty often) was met by “well that’s ok I guess, we (wife and MIL) took them a couple months ago.”

Because she has to keep score on how often she does fun things with them versus how often I, their father, who is married to their mother, does fun things with them.

Edit:

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for getting my girlfriend sock puppets for her birthday?

I’m on this dudes side. That was a pretty thoughtful gift. If she wanted a necklace with his gemstone she should’ve, you know, actually said that.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 15, 2022

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Man I feel so sorry for these weenies. Again, he's so close to an epiphany. A little therapy about how it's okay to be a man and not be 6ft and he'd be right as rain.

The crazy part of his insecurity is he already has a girlfriend. Obviously his height isn’t preventing that from happening.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Quackles posted:

The OP updated his post.

Ok those were some pretty obvious hints but still, everyone here is an adult, you can straight up say what sort of thing you want.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ScienceSeagull posted:

Haven't we had a couple of stories like that, where someone gets upset (possibly to the point of wanting to break up) over a lame gift and later discovers that the real gift is hidden inside? Maybe I'm thinking of the guy who gave people boxes full of barbed wire and broken glass and claimed there were gift cards inside.

It’s a bad prank if the outside gift is outright lovely. But in this case if she actually wanted the sock puppets then putting a bonus gift inside would’ve been a good one.

Unless she is potentially expecting a proposal, in which case now is not the time for hidden jewelry pranks!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

does anyone remember that story of the guy who drinks at work because he wants to be like the guy on mad men (the main character i think)? he offers clients whisky during meetings or something. does anyone have a link to that one?

An alcoholic posted:

AITA for drinking whiskey in the office at 10:30 in the morning?

I (38M) work a stressful job in finance. After years of climbing my way up the corperate ladder, I finally became a VP at my firm - which comes with its own office!

I’m consider myself a ‘classic’ kinda guy, and one of the things I admire most about the workplaces of the 1960s (think Mad Men etc), is that the characters always have a jar of whiskey in their hands no matter what time of day it is. Back when I worked the trading floor, it would have been uncouth to do such a thing in front of my colleagues - but I figured no one would care about it now that I have my own office.

I recently purchased some whiskey jars, and a premium bottle ($500+) which I store openly on my desk. I work with some high-end clients, and I’ll always offer them a glass when we have important meetings. Unfortunatley, none of them have ever accepted. So, not wanting to let the whiskey go to waste, I’ve started sipping on a couple of glasses by myself throughout the day, sometimes as early as 10:30 AM.

That was until yesterday morning, when one of my bosses (CTO) burst into the office unannounced, and caught me sipping. He looked shocked, turned his back, and left. At this point the bottle was about half-empty, so it probably looked pretty bad to him. (Although I must add that this was consumed over the course of a whole week - I was drinking slowly enough that it didn’t affect my work in any way.)

He sent me a long e-mail about how I have problem and that he’s going to contact HR. In the heat of the moment, I sent him a reply telling him maybe he needs a glass or two to lighten up. (I’ll admit to being the rear end in a top hat for that part.) I’m scheduled to speak to HR tomorrow and I’m making GBS threads it. Reddit, am I really the rear end in a top hat for sipping whiskey privately in my office?

EDIT: It seems that I’m TA :( I’m going to ensure the whiskey / drinking is hidden from public view in the future + no drinking before lunchtime. Still sucks that I don’t get to be Don Draper though :(

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

You'd better not start a fight about something that's important to you just because I think it's stupid!

On the other hand, pickle weenie is a pretty funny nickname

Ok sure but in this case that something is a $12 jar of pickles that he seems to have a reserve of.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I don't disagree. But from his post it's clearly a big deal to him and if they are something he gets excited about and rations, and this bothered him, and his wife slapped him down because she thought it was stupid, that's lame.

This and him being a weenie about pickles are not mutually exclusive

I mean if it were something that was actually scarce then yeah I get it but this is one where he’s being silly enough that he needs a reality check.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for telling my husband's family and friends that he didn't buy the house but both of us did?

lmao just locking myself in the crapper until everyone leaves, like an adult

This is one where I would really, really love to hear his retelling of what she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

limp_cheese posted:

The answer to both of these questions is "The respect of your family and friends." I seriously love the stories where one partner makes the other look like a lazy moocher and then gets upset when that person says otherwise.

Hell, she should have asked him thise questions. What did he have to gain by making her out to be worthless and what did he lose if he recognized her part? I know the answer is some non-sensical answer because abusers never have a good answer, I just want to hear his answers. Like this poster said

Yeah I can imagine a scenario where the husband is going on about all the stuff he did to buy the house, probably really proud of being able to buy a house. Maybe he didn’t intend to make it sound like she hadn’t contributed, but was just somewhat inconsiderate. Then she aggressively comes in and people react like “what the gently caress” because they understood what he was saying.

Or maybe it went down exactly as she described and he’s a dumbass! But that’s why it’s one where I would really like to hear his side. He may have meant something totally different than what she heard.