Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Excuse me, her dad worked as an armorer for decades and she just happened to get the job on merit.

quote:

Gutierrez Reed got the job largely because her father, Thell Reed, is a legendary film armorer who worked on “Tombstone,” “3:10 to Yuma,” and “L.A. Confidential,” among many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

E. Revenant posted:

gently caress is the modern internet trash. I can't find ANY text news that goes into detail on what was said in the trial. Yet I can find all kinds of 20 min to 1 hour long youtube videos that pad out 10 min worth of material.

Anyways, I'm coming to the conclusion that Gutierrez might actually have been so unbelievably incompetent that she never rattle tested the rounds that she was responsible for. Whether the lethal rounds came from the supplier or someone smuggled them on set she still never found them. The lethal rounds were scattered into multiple locations and were distinct with nickel coated primers. There is photo evidence of her with the lethal rounds at least a day before the killing. If she had done her job and just found one by routine testing then it would have been easy to find all of them and prevent the tragedy.

Ultimately we might never know where the live rounds came from because it didn't matter for the trial. Lethal rounds were on set and she didn't do anything to prevent them from being there. That's all on her and that alone was enough to convict.

My earlier statement is still true Production didn't want to pay for competence and Management didn't want to follow strict controls and both got their wishes. She is not an innocent scapegoat but there is still responsibly left over for running that mess of a set.

Thank you for your analysis. Too many people aren't taking this seriously enough, especially here in GBS.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

oh my god why would you give a nepo hire a loaded gun

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

still cant believe the dead choreographer's widow is a producer of this poo poo now and theyre still gonna try to push it to theaters

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

can’t wait to watch rust in theaters, there’s no such thing as bad publicity

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cumpantry posted:

still cant believe the dead choreographer's widow is a producer of this poo poo now and theyre still gonna try to push it to theaters

Will it turn out better or worse than the Twilight Zone movie?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

RUST in 4D: Baldwin blasts the audience

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Alec Baldwin breaking the 4th wall to shoot the audience at the end is the only way I’ll watch this motion picture.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

if you really are having trouble finding written reporting, try adding movie industry publications to your search - variety, hollywood reporter etc.

here's something on the closing arguments, i searched "variety hannah gutierrez reed trial"

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/rust-closing-arguments-hannah-gutierrez-reed-trial-1235932334/

quote:

The prosecution has argued that the evidence shows Gutierrez Reed inadvertently brought them to set, mingled among dummy rounds. In a police interview, Gutierrez Reed said she brought some dummies that were loose in a bag in her car and were left over from her previous job as armorer on “The Old Way,” a Nicolas Cage film.

“I’m not telling you that Hannah Gutierrez intended to bring live rounds on set,” Morrissey said. “I’m telling you that she was negligent. She was thoughtless. She was careless… For all we know those dummy rounds were floating around the set of ‘The Old Way,’ and Nicolas Cage is lucky to have walked away with his life.”

If this woman had killed Nic Cage, I would have been so furious. Her name would be loving Mudd and there would be no quarter. but lol at them being lumped together in a big ziploc from a previous production that god knows how many other people had access too lollllllll

Still it does make it more apparent that this is a combo of her negligence + Alec baldwin having terrible trigger discipline with the 'prop gun', she's managed to get by with this negligence on several other productions because no one else has been as sloppy slinging the guns around. I wonder if this would ever even have come to light if he wasn't so casual about where he pointed the drat thing. If it was just a shot into a wall, it would make the news but no one would have been getting pulled into manslaughter trials.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 7, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

"2 tickets for Rust please"

The box office clerk sighs and begins loading a revolver

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
lmao i just had a bunch of small intestine removed because i was shot in the gut by alec loving baldwin

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

So will Baldwin beat the charges? I read that script writer stated that the scene did not call for the gun to be raised and pointed but he did and cocked the gun as well.

Either way you'd think he's going to have to write a large check in a civil suit.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Cassette Moodcore posted:

So will Baldwin beat the charges? I read that script writer stated that the scene did not call for the gun to be raised and pointed but he did and cocked the gun as well.

Either way you'd think he's going to have to write a large check in a civil suit.

Jury trials are a gamble, but I'd bet he walks on manslaughter, the armorer's negligence as an intervening cause seems like way too much of a burden for the prosecution to get over. What the script called for doesn't really matter when there were at least two people, the armorer and the AD who pled, who have now an established legal duty to have ensured that the gun passed to the actor was safe. New Mexico requires willful disregard for the safety of others and that the death be foreseeable from their actions. Willful disregard to me is an armorer pulling rounds from a mystery grab bag of ammunition, willfully using prop guns to shoot live rounds on break. Playing with a prop gun that several people have a responsibility to make sure is safe is safe, in any fashion, doesn't do it for me. I honestly don't think this case would have survived a preliminary hearing if he hadn't been indicted.

A civil suit is a much lower burden of proof, and a lower standard of negligence, but there's still the hill to climb of proximate cause. I pulled an example of proximate cause from the internet:

quote:

If a car that is stopped at a red light enters into an intersection while you’re walking across it and strikes you, the car’s movement is the actual cause or cause in fact of the pedestrian crash.

But, if the car that struck you was rear-ended by a large truck that pulled up behind it and the truck caused the car to move involuntarily into the intersection, the truck was actually the underlying cause of the incident. Its failure to stop would be the proximate cause of the pedestrian accident.

Using this metric, one could (strongly) argue that while the actual cause is Baldwin handling the gun, the proximate cause is him being handed a gun he had good reason to believe was not functional.

Even then New Mexico is a pure comparative negligence state. So a civil jury award form would look something like this:

quote:

We, the jury, award the plaintiff

_________________________(Amount)

and apportion the negligence as follows (must equal 100%):

_______________________% Alec Baldwin
_______________________% David Halls
_______________________% Hannah Gutierrez-Reed
_______________________% Rust Film Company, LLC

So even if it's millions of dollars, there's a good chance that a jury is going to punish the more egregious conduct and mitigate what Baldwin has to pay.

That said, it's a gamble, and a huge stress. If there's a reasonable offer out there, I would assume he'd settle before it goes to civil trial.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Not sure how I feel about how short a sentence she's getting. I mean I guess she'll never work again which is fantastic but still I feel like that's pretty light for what is basically criminal negligence causing death.

Punishing her more or less harshly seems pointless if all the cartoonishly greedy execs who were mocking the person they had killed through malicious negligence are left untouched. Maybe they didn't actively want to murder this person, who can say what those devoid of humanity think of other people, but they certainly did not want to raise a pinky or spend a penny to take bare minimum precautions so someone isn't killed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I must have missed the greedy execs laughing at the dead cinematographer. Can some one link this?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I must have missed the greedy execs laughing at the dead cinematographer. Can some one link this?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

satanic splash-back posted:

Alec Baldwin pointed a gun at someone, pulled the trigger, killed a human, and will not face consequences, lmao

What even is context?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Women on women violence in the workplace is out of control.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I'm talking about the tee shirts they had made to mock the crews requests for better treatment. They thought stuff the workers wanted was hilarious enough to mock, they demonstrably thought very little of these people and someone died about it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

"I could stand in the middle of the rust set and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any movie deals, OK?"- Alec Baldwin

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

He's perfect casting for Alec Baldwin in this legal thriller I'm ripping from the headlines.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jury trials are a gamble, but I'd bet he walks on manslaughter, the armorer's negligence as an intervening cause seems like way too much of a burden for the prosecution to get over. What the script called for doesn't really matter when there were at least two people, the armorer and the AD who pled, who have now an established legal duty to have ensured that the gun passed to the actor was safe. New Mexico requires willful disregard for the safety of others and that the death be foreseeable from their actions. Willful disregard to me is an armorer pulling rounds from a mystery grab bag of ammunition, willfully using prop guns to shoot live rounds on break. Playing with a prop gun that several people have a responsibility to make sure is safe is safe, in any fashion, doesn't do it for me. I honestly don't think this case would have survived a preliminary hearing if he hadn't been indicted.

A civil suit is a much lower burden of proof, and a lower standard of negligence, but there's still the hill to climb of proximate cause. I pulled an example of proximate cause from the internet:

Using this metric, one could (strongly) argue that while the actual cause is Baldwin handling the gun, the proximate cause is him being handed a gun he had good reason to believe was not functional.

Even then New Mexico is a pure comparative negligence state. So a civil jury award form would look something like this:

So even if it's millions of dollars, there's a good chance that a jury is going to punish the more egregious conduct and mitigate what Baldwin has to pay.

That said, it's a gamble, and a huge stress. If there's a reasonable offer out there, I would assume he'd settle before it goes to civil trial.

Playing with a real rear end gun by pointing it at people, resulting in their death, is actually something I'm a OK with saying is completely irresponsible behavior from anyone.

If he wasn't actively instructed to point the real weapon at people, doing so is absolutely a vital part of the chain of negligence leading to that woman's death. She would not have died if he had treated it like the dangerous object it was and not a toy, regardless of every one else's actions.

The facts that it was being used as a prop and that a person who was not the armorer (and quite frankly even if it had been her) declared it a safe weapon do not change the fact that he had a duty not to point the thing at a human being.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

kntfkr posted:

"Dad, it happened again. Can u or mom pick me up? I'm drunk. Bring my Switch."

still makes me laugh

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
this could be big- looks like the camera dolly was recording during the rehearsal, and footage may have just leaked
pretty grim, but obviously the victims were on the other side of the camera, so there's not much you actually see
definitely could be relevant in determining if baldwin's finger was inside of the trigger guard though
again, not sure what the source of this footage is but based on preliminary analysis it does seem to be authentic

given that proceedings for NM v Baldwin are already underway I'm not sure what the process would be for admitting this into evidence

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Now that’s what I call a view to a kill!

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
So all you need to do is hire an official gunkeeper for your drama production and you can shoot and kill without consequence? Sounds reasonable.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If only there were another way, but the audience demands deadly authenticity. The 62 extras that were accidentally blown away by John wick were worth it in the end.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Playing with a real rear end gun by pointing it at people, resulting in their death, is actually something I'm a OK with saying is completely irresponsible behavior from anyone.

Congratulations, I guess. If the prosecutor can get 12 of you on a jury they've got it made.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

and how are they supposed to film the shootout scene in heat where val kilmer unloads and then reloads with breathtaking aplomb if you can’t be pointing guns at folks on set, come on people, get a freakin clue here

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

and how are they supposed to film the shootout scene in heat where val kilmer unloads and then reloads with breathtaking aplomb if you can’t be pointing guns at folks on set, come on people, get a freakin clue here

Surely America, gun culture capital of the world, is up to the task of inventing fake guns.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FoolyCharged posted:

If he wasn't actively instructed to point the real weapon at people, doing so is absolutely a vital part of the chain of negligence leading to that woman's death. She would not have died if he had treated it like the dangerous object it was and not a toy, regardless of every one else's actions.

The facts that it was being used as a prop and that a person who was not the armorer (and quite frankly even if it had been her) declared it a safe weapon do not change the fact that he had a duty not to point the thing at a human being.

Have you considered that this is a cursed gun and it's impossible to not point it at people?

That guy is a gun expert testifying about guns and he needs an assistant there to keep the gun from getting away from him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Have you considered that this is a cursed gun and it's impossible to not point it at people?

That guy is a gun expert testifying about guns and he needs an assistant there to keep the gun from getting away from him.

Now, that's an argument that would hold up in court. That gun's a deranged killer, and the only way to stop it is to put it behind bars.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

This image conveys just how hosed her practices were on the set.

-The marked round with the nickel primer is the live round. It's amazingly easy to spot and should have been checked just because it obviously doesn't belong.

-Dummies with indented primers and ones with smooth un-indented primers are mixed up. Only indented primer dummies should be loaded into guns. The cosmetic dummy flat primer rounds should never be in a gun because they are indistinguishable visually from live rounds.

-I can't find exact testimony but set rumor is that she would load that tray and rattle the entire thing to check for blanks. No one is going to hear the one silent live round out of all the other rattling ones.

Also we now have Dave Halls testimony from just before the killing. He's the Assistant Director who plead guilty for not checking the gun that was handed off.

-Gutierrez the armorer brought the gun unloaded to the church and Halls verified that it was an unloaded "cold gun".
-Gutierrez then loaded the gun after she had an unheard conversation with Baldwin.
-Gutierrez went back the Halls and rotated the cylinder a few times so Halls could check for depressed primers but he didn't count so he doesn't know how many he actually inspected.
-Halls declared it good and Gutierrez handed the gun to Baldwin

There was no reason for the gun to be loaded with dummies for a practice take. It will be interesting what comes out on why she or Baldwin decided to load the gun.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

if you really are having trouble finding written reporting, try adding movie industry publications to your search - variety, hollywood reporter etc.

here's something on the closing arguments, i searched "variety hannah gutierrez reed trial"

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/rust-closing-arguments-hannah-gutierrez-reed-trial-1235932334/

Thanks for that it was good help.

Variety posted:

The prosecution presented sometimes blurry images, culled from thousands taken on set, that appear to show the live rounds were there at least 11 days before the shooting.

Absolute clownshoes that those rounds hadn't been found.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

E. Revenant posted:

There was no reason for the gun to be loaded with dummies for a practice take.

Good thing it wasn’t then I guess?

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
Might have been a real take then. My impression was that they were checking camera angles and positioning and that for the real take the camera person would be away from the viewfinder.

The gun only needed to be loaded with dummies just before filming and pointing the gun at a person even if necessary should have be done unloaded.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I meant it wasn’t loaded with dummies.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
because one of them was live!

don't worry, The Lone Badger, I understood your joke

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

E. Revenant posted:

This image conveys just how hosed her practices were on the set.

Ok fine i was super focused on her bosses trying to escape culpability when it only seemed like they were fighting against safety and overriding things she was trying to do, but if those rounds were anywhere she knew existed then that's beyond damning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

Ok fine i was super focused on her bosses trying to escape culpability when it only seemed like they were fighting against safety and overriding things she was trying to do, but if those rounds were anywhere she knew existed then that's beyond damning

lol i've posted this multiple times in this thread

MrQwerty posted:

i know a propmaster who worked with her once and then made hiring stipulations about her after that experience

they tried to hire him for rust but he told me she was already hired + he felt the whole thing was sketchy from the start so he declined