Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's a very capitalistic attitude: everything's about personal responsibility. It's up to you - yes, you! - to work harder to enact change, but it's not the responsibility of the elites in charge to lift a finger to help.

Didn't mitigate climate change get the change you want? Well, you should have pulled yourself up by the bootstraps and worked harder!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Have we actually built anything back better yet?

The Republican party, maybe.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Crowsbeak posted:

The goal should be one imperialist party. Not two.

I can't remember the whole thing, but there's a famous quote about the American system, in its indulgence, having two corporate parties instead of one.

It's another example of that capitalist efficiency we hear so much about, I guess.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Buy an F, don't give an F.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

projecthalaxy posted:

Could someone help me with this puzzle real quick

Liberal: "Pat, can I solve the puzzle? 'It's the left's fault'."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Democrats in November:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

smug jeebus posted:

How could the Bernie Bros do this?

It's the Democrats doing what they had to do; what they always do: turn death into a fighting chance to lose.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nucleic Acids posted:

Nah I actually felt kinda sad the first time I saw that.

Also, Kirk deliberately set the auto destruct sequence to save himself and his crew. The Blues Brothers' car disintegrating at the end of the car chase might be a better analogy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Seven Force posted:

Hate to admit it but the smug poo poo from libs really gets to me sometimes

:same: You can set your watch by the usual suspects starting up the "VOTE!" and "Most important election of our lifetimes!" poo poo.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's also super cool that a party can win the House (or keep it), the Senate and the White House and little or nothing gets done in spite of unified control.

VOTE!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vomik posted:

liberals are to be judged like jazz not by the policies they pass, but the policies they don't pass

I should have thought of using this tactic in college: I didn't do any of my homework, but I should be given credit for thinking about getting it done and telling my friends I have code to write.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

it's your fault for not voting for more democrats.

democrats need supermajorities in both houses and to keep those supermajorities for 40 straight years in order to gain control of the supreme court. then you can have your incremental change

It's actually pretty similar to prosperity gospel: "God wants you to be rich, which requires you to donate to my TV ministry. Oh, didn't receive any benefit from your donations? I guess you just didn't believe/give enough!"

"Want change? You gotta donate to the Democrat party with your votes. Oh, change didn't happen fast enough? I guess you didn't vote hard enough!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

is pepsi ok posted:

Dems are never gonna permanently fix one of the biggest issues they use to shame people into voting for them.

Correct.

It's the political version of the prosperity gospel: If bad things, like Roe getting gutted, happen, it's all your fault; you didn't give a televangelist enough of your money vote hard enough.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno means-tested tax rebates.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A single Supreme Court seat gained by luck. Meanwhile, the GOP stole two or three seats and the Democrats are too bound by decorum and 'our holy institutions' to pack the court. So not really that much of an "accomplishment".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

the bitcoin of weed posted:

if the democrats had any desire to control the court they have a pretty good case for impeaching clarence thomas and probably also kavanaugh but they don't give a poo poo

The Dems are practically being spoon fed a path toward impeaching Thomas, but I'd be extremely surprised if they had the balls to actually follow through. At best they'll use Thomas as a way to scold or guilt people into voting for them. At worst they'll just shrug and cry about the rules.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

fast cars loose anus posted:

Does it really help them to do another impeachment that won't actually result in removal from office when they have all sorts of other ineffectual things they could be doing?

I guess the theater of it could potentially be a useful distraction from everything else to a certain type

You’re probably right. Impeachment is only effective if a party is willing to go balls to the wall, and Dems are castrati.

The recent talk about deficit reduction sounds like austerity is the next step in the slide towards succ.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It doesn't really matter how hard or not the Dems go on it because the chances of 17 Republican senators voting to remove Clarence Thomas are smaller than the chances of me winning three straight powerballs

I really don't think just doing it for the spectacle is likely to gin up more Dems to vote in the midterms than it will motivate more Republicans to come out to kick their asses, either

You're right. They impeached Turp twice and it didn't make a drat's bit of difference. The people who hated Turbo before hated him afterwards, and the people who liked him before liked him even more afterwards.

Democrats could win big dividends making a clear distinction between themselves and Republicans, especially on issues like abortion. They refuse because they're loving cowards (and they don't really disagree with the GOP on those issues too much anyway, since wealthy white women will still have easy access to abortion). They just disgust me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's a big tent party that accepts everyone except leftists who want to actually see poo poo get done.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it is genuinely astonishing to see a political party work itself into a state where it can do nothing but destroy itself. I'm sure I've said like "lol the breaks are coming off" a million times but seeing the cliff come in to focus and watching these guys still hammering the accelerator is something I just don't have the words for

even if you imagine they somehow don't get destroyed in november (lmao), and again in 24 (bigger lmao), it's pretty clear that there's no turning this boat around. the last year and change has only ever been "we can't do that" or "we won't do that" and then watching them pointedly ignore these gigantic catastrophes and unforced errors. it's not even biden (though he sucks poo poo)! no democrat can do or is willing to do anything about anything: they're captured by the algorithm and the incredible negative inertia of their shambolic party/nephew job generator.

good riddance, dems. these next few years are going to be buck wild.

Schrodinger's system: It's both broken and working exactly as intended, which is to propel wealth upwards. All that happened in the past six or seven years is that between Trump and covid, the gloves came off of neoliberalism and they're not willing to even pretend to care about us anymore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Knowing the Democrats, the purpose of Schumer's occasional reminders about student loans is a way to make it look as though there's a push within the party to get that done. That way, gullible voters continue thinking there will be action on loan debt.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"No one has a right to someone else's labor" is a pretty common rejoinder when talking about health care. Pushed even farther they'll say something about how universal health care makes doctors and nurses "slaves" because they're "forced" to care for people whether or not they want to. It's extremely dumb but moronic commentators seem to think it's an epic own.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Doing popular stuff that would help people is cheating.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ikanreed posted:

You're underestimating the democrats' commitment to making the worst possible decision at all times

On that note, I wonder if Hillary is the backup plan.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Centrist Committee posted:

ngl if they did it like one of those carnival dunk tank things I might have to buy a ticket

Imagine how much money they'd make.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Feinstein's old enough to have probably watched Reefer Madness in theaters.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Biden: Dead and Loving It

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

do democrats think this is a good look? anyone could have told htem that for the past 50 years one of the few political projects the GOP had was overturning RvW. Is there defense really "we didn't see this coming" lmao

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1522316704247730176
Truly the worst thing to come from the SCOTUS news: Kirsten Gillibrand was lied to. What an outrage.

e: Yeah, that Calvin and Hobbes cartoon is a great analogy for the past 40+ years.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:lol: More unpopular than even Trump! What an accomplishment.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Failing to learn lessons from their good buddy, George HW Bush.

The Democrats!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Better think and pray harder!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Someone in the succ thread had a plausible theory that this is a way to make people happy for means-tested $10K debt relief for a tiny portion of the population and nothing else. That certainly sounds like a Democrat plan!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

quote:

1. To convince skeptical voters that, despite their current misgivings, the economy is actually doing quite well.

There's an old adage in politics: if you're explaining, you're losing. Libs think that if they do a wall of :words: about "student loans continuing is good, actually" that they'll convince voters through the sheer power of their logic and good arguments.

In short: :lol:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Exodus1984 posted:

I think they floated a leak to see how it would go over, and even with the shooting in Texas it was still roundly criticized as the dogshit idea it is.

Best strategy on debt is to push it back a couple years and let the next administration deal with it.

Yeah, they wanted Twitter libs to hate it, which they did, so that they'd have a plausible way to turn around and whine that "There's just no public support for this!". People who weren't welded to the Dems didn't fall for it at all, but it'll still probably be used as a rationale for doing nothing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/SimonWDC/status/1531608610815586304

This is the sort of poo poo that makes people see red. "We" might be better off in many ways in the aggregate, depending on how you look at it. I am objectively worse off than last year simply because gas and groceries cost so goddamn much more. Guess which one is gonna motivate people to vote?

"Getting through covid".

Numbers in my area are going up and many places are requiring masks again, regardless of vaccination status.

We're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an oncoming train.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The red wave just got 10 feet taller.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The Democrats are succeeding, actually. The narrative that the party went too Left and got crushed because of it is already locked into place. At this point, Dem reps are impatiently looking at their watches waiting for the ritual to be over.

100%. Losing the election will be an excuse for what they wanted to do anyway. They failed in 2020 because they actually had to look like they were doing something after regaining control.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thoguh posted:

Starting to think that the democrats might be very stupid.

https://twitter.com/justinwolfers/status/1533639146824155136?s=21&t=1qFWprAtEX8W1e54ft-GYQ

Probably going to get destroyed in 2022.

"Hmm....maybe Biden is a bad president."

"No, it's media reporting that's wrong!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zvahl posted:

why aren't they happy that the rich are getting richer and biden is handing the next republican administration a huge shiny blank check to do whatever they want with

:iiam:

These people clearly don't understand how politics work, which is why we need to make a 100 slide powerpoint to explain why they should be grateful.