Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ok sure they're not delivering a single thing, but at least all of that Jan 6th-centric messaging paid off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Thoguh posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1455940313340682240?s=21

Do you think that they’ll just add a bunch of new amendments at the constitutional convention of 2025, or start or with a totally new constitution?

amendments, the aesthetics of the thing don't work if you can't gussy it up as reasserting the will and wisdom of the framers

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

poo poo they won't even do it to industries they have an antagonistic relationship with. when was the last time they brought up gun control? the debates maybe?

You still get major politicians tweeting about it occasionally but it has definitely felt de rigueur and you won’t notice it unless you’re specifically paying attention to such things

it might get a bit more rhetorical focus if the SC strikes down New York’s gun control laws (as currently seems reasonably likely)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Just wanted to use this thread to laugh at the Democrats passing mandatory alcolocks for cars with their "infrastructure" tax break bill, for no other reason than to make people angry at Democrats over their nanny-state tendencies. Gotta lessen the impact of your own legislation as much as possible!

“lessen the impact” implies that this won’t be the only part of the legislation that voters can discern directly affecting their own lives

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

I cannot imagine the Republicans giving the Dems a win on legalizing weed (assuming Biden would be smart enough to campaign on it with the party next year), so I have to believe there is some sorta poison pill bullshit in there.

Unless the Rs entire plan is to say "we introduced the bill" as a way to not let the Dems get credit. Should be funny to watch play out I guess.

Well that’s the thing, Biden not only wouldn’t campaign on it, he’d almost certainly veto it if it Congress sent it to him. Which it wouldn’t, since that state of affairs makes *not* passing it a priority for Dem leadership (which lets R’s exploit the tension inherent in them trying to kill a highly popular policy). So it mostly just lets them score free political points and establish some credibility on the issue in advance of a potential 2024 presidency + congressional majorities, where such a policy would let them broaden their appeal at no real cost to themselves.

And, if, by some miracle, Biden completely reversed his lifelong habits and position, it would still let R’s take partial credit (not least because Biden would be falling over himself to serve at the altar of bipartisanship). Though even then they could probably contrive to delay passage and/or implementation until after it would do Biden any good.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

zegermans posted:

"post-pandemic"

the “best” part is that despite non-stop media propaganda to that effect something like 2/3 of Americans are still concerned about catching COVID

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

gay_crimes posted:

the only good thing I can think of is pulling out of Afghanistan, which trump probably would have done anyways

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

trump had already tried to do so, but the generals refused to comply. he may not have succeeded in getting the people legally bound to obey his orders to obey his orders even with a second term. so, that's exactly one point in biden's favor.

Trump also cared quite a lot about his perception in the media, while Biden does not (or perhaps isn't really capable of it anymore), so it's also possible that he'd have reversed course on a withdrawal in response to their criticism, given how astoundingly bloodthirsty they've demonstrated themselves to be

at the same time, that's only a hypothetical, so it's hard to discount Trump's contribution in negotiating the withdrawal or giving Biden full credit for begrudgingly staying the course

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/LRonMexico/status/1472237588928942082?s=20

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lmfao

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Manchin got to be the belle of the ball for nearly a year lol. Good job everyone.

ok sure, but you also have to take into account how everyone else looked weak and ineffectual, while staking their own credibility on the eventual success of the process

and at least it all came to a conclusion at a good time where it didn't feed into multiple other major news stories about Democrats abandoning their promises while completely failing to govern

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

point of order:

that poll (and accompanying post) is from early November, before Omicron was even reported, the BBB officially killed, etc.

lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/crackconnoisser/status/1485462794686369797?s=20&t=RswnRdKrnvxhVDk4ZNXpcg

e: I guess maybe NSFW (all archival footage)

LGD has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Feb 22, 2022

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zokari posted:

is that a pun i dont get or something why are people so excited about that post

this is why Twitter should not have been allowed to delete/hide Trump’s tweets

though the original quote was an in-person campaign event

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc those letters (and pictures ofc) are required for all home purchases in oregon, i'd imagine they've already pioneered this one weird trick

eh sort of the opposite - Oregon banned them in 2021, but that was just overturned this month by a federal judge (on behalf of a real estate group because it turns out that they do indeed want to use them to their own advantage)

they've never been required though, I certainly don't recall ever writing one when we bought our home, we just were able to make the first offer by having our realtor get us in before the open house + realized they were selling under a bit of duress/time crunch due to a divorce so proactively offered a month or so of free rent to make it less stressful (which we, I think correctly, thought would be overvalued in cash terms)

e: regardless, real estate is nuts around here

our house (which we bought in a deliberately unhip area and were only just able to afford at the time) has apparently appreciated >60% in a little over 4 years

LGD has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Mar 22, 2022

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

Obama has such a severe case of protagonist brain holy poo poo hahaha

What a narcissist, nobody self aware talks like this, movie character mf’er

being president obviously doesn’t confer mountains of wisdom otherwise you wouldn’t have emulated previous war criminals, phony rear end in a top hat. Trump now did the same things you did, can’t even see the taint because you’re looking at your own, goddamn

lol

well that and his own metaphor clearly makes him out to be the villain

like... I can think of quite literally no biblical instances of kings deciding to do their own thing over following a prophet's guidance where the king turns out to be correct

e: also a few instances where prophets did get to be king so just hilarious all around

LGD has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Apr 18, 2022

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Subvisual Haze posted:

For real, sketch me a single scenario where the GOP abolishing the filibuster while Biden is president is beneficial. If only we in the GOP could expedite legislation to Joe Biden's desk to sign, instead of just continuing to throw sand in the gears and obstruct all governance until 2024.

well imagine a scenario where they want to actually pass something in response to a sudden crisis, and it isn't something the dems would automatically agree with anyway (like giving unlimited funds to military contractors or w/e)?

(lol lmao)

they still wouldn't need to eliminate the filibuster b/c all they'd need to do is indicate they're willing to give up the legislative equivalent of used chewing gum and Joe Biden and Democratic party leadership will be falling over themselves to sign on to a "bipartisan" initiative

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Skeleton King posted:

I mean, when you vote for someone you do so with the expectation that the person you are voting for will do something that you are wanting. If the people you keep voting for are very obviously uninterested in representing you or even stopping things from getting worse, you are right to hate them.

It's not quite the same as a purchase or investment, but you are not wrong to be wanting something in return for your support at some point. That's the point of voting.

yeah even in the fantasy realm where your voting preferences are entirely altruistic and made without reference to your own self-interest AND capitalism has been abolished or w/e, the whole process of representative democracy pretty explicitly is and should always be a transactional quid pro quo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol trump already did elvis and babe ruth

speaking of, Jeet raises a good point:

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1542971073028796416?s=20&t=QIJKJeerAnyJXp5iRIM2gQ

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

while the details are extremely funny it's also notable that the article is from Dovere, given his obvious partisan/ideological proclivities and previous willingness to act as a media catspaw for establishment Dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

not just Oz, they picked some genuinely bad candidates this cycle - i.e. Herschel Walker is definitely over the limit of acceptability for unacknowledged illegitimate children