Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

say she and manchin both voted this is still a needs-60 issue right? so it would have been entirely performative.

:ssh: no, it's all big bad manchin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

wtf, tell me that's doctored.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
some lib on DU sent this to a friend & was taken aback when the friend stopped talking to him.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
thought I was posting to the succ thread but it works here too I guess. :shobon:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Lastgirl posted:

boy that segregationist fella sure can hatemonger :dementia:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

has he called for feinstein's resignation as a starter? :allears:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Exodus1984 posted:

Remember when he was going to private dinners during lockdowns?

with health insurance lobbyists, lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

lol, she won't even endorse cisneros.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

what's funny about the libs' :qq: about this was that it overturned a law that said they were allowed to do this before the ruling, but only up to $250,000.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

read Adolph Reed [ ”Antiracism: a neoliberal alternative to a left". Dialectical Anthropology 42.2 (June 2018) ] and Jodi Dean y’all

this was a good read; thanks.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The baby formula shortage continued to worsen last week despite actions from the Biden administration to ease constraints, according to retail tracking data.

Out-of-stock rates climbed to 74% nationally for the week ending May 28, according to data on 130,000 stores followed by Datasembly. The increase comes after rates spiked to 70% for the week ending May 21 from 45% the week prior.

Ten states now have out-of-stock rates at 90% or greater, including Arizona, Mississippi, California, Nevada, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Louisiana, Florida and Washington. Georgia is the hardest hit at 94%, a jump from 74% the week before.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you've never done a phone poll it's like 45 minutes of back-to-back questions that you're probably just repeating "strongly disagree" to

it was an online panel so it could've been monkeys pressing buttons for all we know.

but lolol at those young-dem results in light of the tropes about boomers being awful.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
when there's a gop president: HE'S THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN EVER

when there's a dem president: WHAT DO YOU WANT HIM TO DO? FART UNICORN DUST?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

someone do an update on the costs of the (carefully curated) items in the original.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm not sourcing from "The Farm Bureau" here are prices literally right now at my local grocery store:
32oz pork and beans - I found a 28 oz can for 1.77; if it were the same price/oz as their 32oz can it'd be 1.66 for an increase of 0.11 basically
2lbs ground beef - a lb of 80/20 which is as low as I feel is reasonable is 4.73, so 9.66 or 1.46 more than last year
half gallon vanilla ice cream - even the cheap store brand is 6.16 for a half-gallon, which is 1.47 more
Boneless center cut pork chops 2lbs - These run 6.38/lb for me right now so 12.76, or up 1.13
2.5 quarts lemonade - 3.28 for the store brand, so that's down 35 cents. A win!
1lb slices cheese - 5.13, so up 1.08
13 oz potato chip bag - 4.92. Saved a penny!

So, in total, this meal will run you 4.89 more, (39.05 vs 43.94) which is an increase of 12.5%

Also were this spread put before me by someone for an actual 4th of July I would be extremely worried about this person

:cheers: Given that they handpicked the original food to lowball the total, it's funny that it went up by so much.

I agree about the dogshit meal. :barf:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

fast cars loose anus posted:

The ones that have actually shocked me when I went to the grocery store were the cheese slices (seriously 5 bucks for kraft singles????) and the fact that eggs have skyrocketed. I had always counted on eggs being available as a super cheap source of protein if everything else inflated to the moon but nope, 18 large eggs is nearly 5 bucks now. I know bird flu has something to do with this but its just lovely that that's happening at the time that other meats are going up.

random thoughts while at the grocery today:

* lovely, fatty lamb chops that used to be $3.99/lb tops are now $7.99
:wtf: pass

* the whole wheat bread that used to be $2.99 is now $4.99

* green peppers at $1.79/lb seems high for this time of year; jalapenos are cheaper & taste better

* the corner store near me charges $5.99 for ben & jerry's. The grocery is charging $7.99. I went with the store brand choco mint for $3.50

* the only larger size of matzo meal was gluten-free, and $10/can. :wtf: pass

* except for the green peppers the produce was cheap, like $.99 iceberg lettuce & $1.29 broccoli crowns cheap

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

HootTheOwl posted:

Green peppers....by the pound?

how do you buy them, richie rich? by the barrel?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

hobbesmaster posted:

are there even any nationally prominent gen x Democratic politicians?

buttgieg is a millennial

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The Democrats' Gen X bullpen includes Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), former HUD Secretary Julian Castro, Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), and Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), to name a few. If Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) managed to beat Ted Cruz next year, he'd easily be the most Gen-X Gen Xer in the Senate. Any of these Democrats might run for president, but none are early favorites to win the nomination.

On the Republican side, though, the entire House leadership team is Gen X: Kevin McCarthy, Steve Scalise, Cathy McMorris Rodgers, and Luke Messer were all born between '65 and '80. The youngest member of the House Democratic leadership is Rep. Joseph Crowley (R-N.Y.), the Democratic caucus chairman, born in 1962. The only Gen Xer in Senate leadership, in either party, is Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), the chairman of the Republican Senatorial Committee. This asymmetry is worrisome.

Why? Because the two main political parties being what they are, the best shot for achieving a Gen X America lies in compromise, finding common ground between a vibrant Gen X right and Gen X left. Real compromise used to happen in Washington — say, when Reagan worked with the Democratic-controlled Congress to pass major immigration and tax reform. It has been rarer since the boomers took over Washington in 1995, but it could happen again, if we can move past their decades-old ideological blood feuds.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
can't wait to see the formula-parent vote this fall

quote:

The original formula recall announced by the FDA in February did not include the brand we used for our daughter, which made me assume that we would not be affected. As a first-time mom already concerned about keeping her baby safe during the pandemic, I didn’t need another thing to worry about. I thought that the government would step in before families had to go out of their way to find food. We noticed the large empty spaces on shelves at every store but remained optimistic that help would arrive soon. Yet the shelves only grew emptier.

I built a network of moms who would look for my type of formula while I looked for theirs. This is how we made it week by week. My gym became a drop-off place where women traded containers. All of this transpired while my news feed was filled with articles demonstrating how little our politicians seem to care about keeping women and children safe, even alive. The shelves of our cupboard remained empty.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If you're like me and were born in the mid '80s, think of all the poo poo we've seen up to now: the Berlin Wall coming down. Blowjob impeachment. OJ. Columbine. 9/11. The Great Recession. Covid-19. Great Depression 2.0. And Boomers wonder why so many of us are so jaded and checked out of The Process (tm).

yah, bc all of us boomers pulled a rip van winkle for the last 30 years & didn't live this poo poo ourselves too, as well as during the prior decades when it was hell to be a woman, a minority or a gay, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
"only I, as a 10 yr old, could understand the wrenching outcome of the OJ trial verdict"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
first grade:

I thought the russkies were bombing us every time we did duck-n-cover bc no one told me that "drill" meant "practice; not real"

twelfth grade:

my friends & I sit through the calling of the numbers for the birthday lottery for the draft & a few of of us burst into tears when our friend's bf comes up no. 10 for Who Gets to Go to Vietnam?

but man, that clinton impeachment was what truly wrecked me.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
for reals tho: the clinton impeachment showed me that second-wave feminism was as shallow as anything else having to do with liberals as steinem et al. showed a passion for smearing lewinsky that they never quite roused for anything else, like healthcare for everyone.

it'd take another decade, a few more thousand dollars in political contributions to dems, and a few more thousand volunteer hours for dems, but eventually I came to my senses.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Not all of you, no. For every Boomer that's self aware there are plenty who aren't.

do tell; you mean there are Goods & Bads from every generation? :monocle:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Chris James 2 posted:

There's no need to argue about who witnessed the most signs of the end of the world in advance

All that matters is the end of the world is here, at last :stoked:

:hai:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

DoubleDonut posted:

some real #NotAllBoomers poo poo going on in here

the laziest response to a political trope that was generated to promote austerity thru generational warfare. :bravo:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

In Training posted:

Couldnt you just burn your draft card if you didnt want to go.

lol, only if you whispered the magic spell at the same time.

you could starve yourself to be underweight or have sympathetic doctors remove a couple digits from your hand, both of which I heard suggested at draft-evasion seminars.

a relative of mine went on leave while serving in vietnam and never returned; he spent a decade in canada before the mass pardon then became an antiwar activist in latin america during the time in which the cia was most active destabilizing the region.

that was a success story compared to some of the stories I heard from other vietnam veterans, but most didn't talk about their experiences there.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jun 14, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Stereotype posted:

yeah it would be nuts to live through threat of war between two nuclear powers, or deaths of prominent community leaders, or an unjust war that took the lives of thousands of american soldiers and millions of innocent civilians, or massive government corruption at the highest level, or an oil crisis, or stagflation. i can't even imagine how hard it must have been to go through all that and then fix none of it and make it all worse

1. it's not a competition

2. boomers lived thru your heartaches, too

3. we (meaning the non-powerful & the non-wealthy) were as capable of fixing things as the younger ones are now

:bravo: on buying into the concerted effort to divide people by attributes other than class & power, though!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Pryor on Fire posted:

It was just 20 years after WW2, the idea that everyone in the USA was here to save the world was the prevailing attitude at the time. That thinking got grinded down as the war dragged on obviously.

it only ended because they got rid of the exemptions that excluded (most of) the rich & powerful from serving.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

THS2 posted:

generational warfare is bullshit but hard not to fall into. i think it stems from a few things

most obviously, the most visible and powerful people in politics are boomers and refuse to retire

also it’s important to remember that the boomers you see are the boomers who made it to 2022. lower income people have shorter lifespans so youre left with the more privileged boomers, who would have outsized influence regardless

lastly lead poisoning, but it remains to be seen how your brain reacts long term to being 1/3rd microplastics by weight so dont feel too smug

the most (or just as many) visible & powerful people in politics are silents, at least among democrats.

but wait till ya see what the x'ers have in store. They're already the trumpiest generation, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

THS2 posted:

also it’s important to remember that the boomers you see are the boomers who made it to 2022. lower income people have shorter lifespans so youre left with the more privileged boomers, who would have outsized influence regardless

goddam aids took out the most talented of my generation hands-down.

but plenty of non-privileged survived, too, which is why there's still a sizable chunk of olds living off their scant social-security checks.

repeat after me till it sinks in: it's class, not age.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

ascribing anything to generational differences is hilarious. capital demanded union busting and endless wars and neoliberal austerity projects, and blaming anything on ”boomers” as a monolithic block is as naive as saying “oh the zoomers will save us” or, look it’s the old thread favorite, “demographics are destiny”

zooomers will grow up to be enforcers of capital just like their parents, and their parents parents, and all the way back, until capitalism is crushed, hth.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think the point is that generational war is a media contrivance to distract from class war. Pointing out the grain of truth is as useful here as it is with every other propagandized distraction.

not just a media contrivance, but a dedicated political strategy to promote austerity. That media went along with it is just the icing on the cake.

I wish I could convey how disheartening it is to see leftists ignore this in favor of NO, YOU SHUT UP, DAD

It definitely is, but I think there are valid reasons to be pissed at Boomers in general. Many of them had a part in loving up the world and jut blame their children/grandchildren because they "killed Applebee's".

more than the silents, or the trump-humping x'ers? I doubt it.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Jun 14, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
we literally are just (somewhat) getting over a pandemic during which hundreds of thousands of olds died & cleared the way for the youngers to take over, a pandemic nicknamed the "boomer remover," and to see youngers still not getting that class war is the only war during my last few years in this shithole country & on earth makes me more depressed than reading lib poo poo in dnd.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

real talk if I could wave a magic wand and wish away the problems of climate change, total economic collapse, the takeover of our political institutions and law enforcement by literal nazis, etc., but like the casting cost of the spell is that we have to have a draft where people are randomly selected to go die in some stupid loving war instead of forced to do so because of their material circumstances, I'm pretty sure I'd take that trade in a loving heartbeat.

whoa, you mean if boomers didn't exist we wouldn't have had all those bad things happen & continue to happen, for the cheap-in-your-eyes cost of sacrificing 50,000 working-class lives, and the wounding of millions more, which was an entire class war unto itself?

you've convinced me; let's reinstate the draft & send your pasty rear end to go fight some lovely war that your elders decided on your behalf.

eta:

:ssh: once draftees were "randomly selected" through the lottery, rather than class distinctions like "my daddy is a politician" or "my college work is more important" then the war, and then the draft, came to a fairly swift end.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Jun 14, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
^^^ things no one has said in this thread

mawarannahr posted:

COVID is worse than Vietnam and the draft for Americans in every way

well, it's certainly killed 10x as many boomers so who's to say what's worse!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
man, I'd be jumping for joy at the news that covid killed hundreds of thousands of my mortal enemies, those who were born between a particular 18-year period.

instead, it just seems like you can't appreciate a good thing when you see it!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

yeah it's like any other identity politics. the point is that everyone on this forum will dabble in idpol to some degree or another. it's fine to point it out when it happens, but we had some folks poo poo-talking white southerners the other day and I don't recall anyone leaping to the "not ALL white southerners" defense and harping on it for three pages and poo poo but woe betide you if you suggest that (some) old people suck

I'm genuinely baffled as to why you aren't celebrating the hundreds of thousands of american boomers who've died of covid. :confused:

another 10-20 years we'll all be gone & you'll still be :qq: about how the boomers made you stub your toe.

edit to lol at the parenthetical "(some)" after your rants itt. You're learning!

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
imagine 600,000 of your worst enemies dying in the span of two short years & still bitching about how they need to stfu & die harder.