Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I once got to sit in seat 01A on a plane but it wasn’t first class, just a budget flight with the same class seats all the way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have never, ever been able to fall asleep on a plane, and I once fell asleep in Corp in Sheffield

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MeinPanzer posted:

I'll never get to taste that level of luxury again, but every once in a while I still dream that I'm taking a poo poo in an infinity toilet.
What the gently caress is an infinity toilet

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

peanut- posted:

Just in case you hadn't worked out that the FBPEs are bad yet

https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1455510582472368131?s=20
I don’t much care for this version of Holly

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anybody done remembrance poppy NFTs yet? (1 purchase == 1 respect)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It'severy household in the country has access to instant at-home testing.
What’s the latest information on the accuracy of these? I remember early on reading the accuracy was appalling and we had access to loads because the US rejected them as useless, and then later on reading that actually they’re fine?

I still do a test before seeing somebody but it feels more like a symbolic ritual, is it useful?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're not particularly sensitive so will false-negative quite a bit, especially because people are reluctant to stick things deep enough into their head holes, but if you're testing semi-regularly (and get a proper test, or at least do multiple LFTs, if symptomatic) they're fine. IIRC the false-positive rate is basically zero, but the false-negative rate can be as high as 25%.
Ah, this would explain why my partner and I both tested negative twice when I'm pretty certain we (or at least she) was infected. Cheers for the info!

All the best scams have already been taken :(

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there any kind of movement dedicated to encouraging people not to vote in an effort to delegitimise the entire political system, that feels the only thing I'd be willing to get behind right now.
Wasn't this exactly Russell Brand's philosophy back in 2010 or so?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a thread I can go to to ask about advice for getting into goat-touching as a second career?

I’m only like ⅓ joking :smith: though TBH I’d probably prefer to do trees or something.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I dunno if there’s a thread or Twitter for awfully presented charts but this deserves to be on it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

comparing those pics of him at the hospital to the topless pap shots of him on holiday
this is an extremely cursed way to spend an evening

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I think that’s just life TBH

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

New limited edition Remembrance just dropped:

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1458329829074481159?s=20

quote:

Not only one of the most exciting infused rums to hit the British Rum scene, but a name with a message - a metaphor for life: follow what’s good and Pull The Pin on what’s not. Live life to the full, celebrate what is great!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1193836378934710272?s=20

Seriously considering a new avatar now

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Like so many of these things, buying and wearing a poppy in support of charity and as a quiet mark of respect is fine and good, but it’s sadly becoming something that marks you as a very particular kind of virtue-signalling loon.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it literally is virtue signalling whyever you do it, that is a completely accurate descriptor of how it functions in society, you wear it to signal a thing to others that you believe to be a virtue of some sort, whether that is because you think it will win you praise or because you want them to feel a certain way in themselves.
Well yeah, taken to its logical limit it’s the same philosophical argument over if anybody can be “truly” altruistic

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea this is all true; I meant ‘virtue signalling’ in the sense of ‘insincerely pretending to have virtue’ that it now often seems to mean, but it’s such a loaded / polluted term at this point that I should have just avoided it altogether.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Oh and grammar too. Sex, work, and grammar.

I'm not sure what the lizard thing is, I think it came up itt a couple days back, but I'm fairly sure it means 'the worst people on twitter'

Nice casual ablism from the one calling other people fascist too

TACD has no pronouns. TACD rises above puny pronoun-havers. TACD is delighted for any excuse to talk about self in third-person.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like he was morphing from Uncle Fester into Cousin Itt and got stuck partway

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WhatEvil posted:

Wait what? We watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpEfHVFilRc

immediately after watching the other vid I posted... but I didn't know it had also been used in Bugs Bunny!
Haha we were at a small piano… concert? the other night and the chap played this piece and mentioned this cartoon as “you might know it from…”

To me it’s always been this bit from Roger Rabbit though

https://youtu.be/JSIw0nD5GT0

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wouldn't worry excessively about those YouTube ads, our good friend Kessler will take care of them

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1460282814801321993

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

One, holy, capitalistic and automatic Church.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTK68l2BHtE

TACD fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 15, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

Good to see that the Children of Men speedrun is still on track.

https://twitter.com/Okwonga/status/1460969926567596050
*taps head* can’t have citizens dying of cold or covid in record numbers if you make them stateless first

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Weren’t Bulb already looking after customers from other failed suppliers?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mushrooms are great, haven’t had any since they became illegal ☹️

Acid is also great but it’s much more of a time and mind investment. Plus every time I take it recently I have an overpowering awareness of how old I’m getting and how I haven’t done any of the things with my life I wanted to and time is running out and aaaaaah

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Camrath posted:

Used to be (might still be) a shop in Camden that sold shroom chocolate under the table, and my friends and I used to do what we’d call ‘cocktail parties’, the idea being that the Daily Mail would describe us as being on a ‘cocktail’ of drugs.

One night on a combination of shrooms, ecstasy, a /lot/ of weed and 1200 nitrous canisters between four of us, we decided to watch Threads.

That was an experience.

(However, the physical utter /delight/ of that combination of substances is as close to divine as I’ve ever felt)
One the one hand, why the gently caress would you do that, but on the other hand the day after my first time ever taking MDMA we decided to watch Requiem for a Dream, so 🤷🏻

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Perfect Element posted:

I will always remember the day before shrooms were banned, because it coincided with the cinematic release of the Tom Cruise War of the World's. We took a bunch, saw that, had a blast, then bumped into a guy I didn't really like from school, then proceeded to have a genuinely lovely chat with him and came away in general bearing less animosity to people who I didn't really know that well.
The day before shrooms were banned I was at a festival (GuilFest) and all the stalls were having a massive blowout sale of all their stock :parrot:

We gave some to some women who'd never tried shrooms before and had a blast, then ended up sat around in the festival ground somewhere long after it had closed for the night smoking weed, spinning poi and generally being dirty hippies. It was great and I am nostalgic for my well-misspent youth.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sinky posted:

Always a good sign when they need to put out a statement that the PM is not pissing and making GBS threads himself

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1463151371054632972?s=20
My "I have not poo poo my pants" shirt, etc

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angrymog posted:

Shat. Past tense.
I feel confident that Boris Johnson is making GBS threads himself whatever he's doing right now as well

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Payndz posted:

Wasn't it revealed that people close to him don't even call him Boris?
If I was close to him, I would first of all try to move farther away from him, and then I’d call him “pigfucker”. Hopefully he’d correct me by saying “no that was David Cameron” so I’d have him on record confirming it, and if not I’d just keep calling him “pigfucker” anyway.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Convex posted:

Speaking of parking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59399754

Also lol at 'permanent food shortages'. Nice country
When we said “there will be adequate food”, I think it’s clear we didn’t mean every kind of food, for all people, all of the time

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Food rationing has a proud place in British history and in fact I’d argue it’s one of the things that has made us such a great country today

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I mean this is a general theme among speculative fiction authors, they all, seemingly invariably, operate under the belief that the only thing people can be interested in long term is loving or murdering.

There's never anybody who like, spends thousands of years getting very very good at carpentry and being happy with it.
Greg Egan’s books are full of characters obsessed with simulated universes or pure maths or extremely esoteric sciences :colbert:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's a European requirement.
well now hold on just a minute

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bessantj posted:

I feel there is probably a study out there that looked into the difference between farting with your trousers on and farting naked.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1121900/

quote:

Dr Kruszelnicki then described the method by which he had established whether human flatus was germ-laden, or merely malodorous. “I contacted Luke Tennent, a microbiologist in Canberra, and together we devised an experiment. He asked a colleague to break wind directly onto two Petri dishes from a distance of 5 centimetres, first fully clothed, then with his trousers down. Then he observed what happened. Overnight, the second Petri dish sprouted visible lumps of two types of bacteria that are usually found only in the gut and on the skin. But the flatus which had passed through clothing caused no bacteria to sprout, which suggests that clothing acts as a filter.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just Another Lurker posted:

While all that is going on π is sneakily moving around with a one month incubation period and a 75% fatality rate that bypasses all the current vaccinations.
Uhhh ??? This is just a bad joke or ???

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tarnop posted:

Relieve the tension of living in hellworld by making fun machine generated images of your "favourite" politicians

https://pixray.gob.io/text2image/

Guavanaut posted:

Labour front bench, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rambalac is my go-to YouTube channel for peaceful walking around ambience; guy with a 4K HDR steadycam rig on his back walks around different areas of Japan, sometimes in the city, sometimes in the countryside. No talking or music or anything other than the noise of wherever he is, it’s very nice.