Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Amazing response from the police. I presume the Reverend is too good a person to attempt to do something similar to the new owner/their solicitor, or take out a loan in their name secured on their property, now that he has confirmation that the police will only gesticulate helplessly.

If there's a group of people who have had similar happen, maybe they can all get together and molotov cocktail each other's former homes, Strangers On A Train style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It surprises me that workplaces are still doing Covid restrictions. Most of my colleagues are lucky if we get 1 day a week WFH (we have a lot of customer facing work) and quite a few people choose to wear masks, but that's up to individuals. We've booked a night out for the work Christmas do and some of us are going to a colleague's housewarming party next week.

In 18 months, nobody in my department has had Covid.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Rumours in the industry are that - with a few exceptions - almost all the big tech companies are going to move to some form of hybrid working fulltime and downscale their offices - the Hoxton artisanal coffee industry is going to be decimated.

Lord Sugar is going to have an aneurysm.

It's not just tech companies; quite a few of the law and accountancy firms will be hybrid working and looking to downscale office space. But you love to see the government blaming lazy public sector workers.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

peanut- posted:

Random thing I just learned reading about energy company collapses: variable green energy tariffs are exempt from the OFGEM price cap, so anyone with good intentions who signed up to one will currently be paying 2-3x the power bill of someone on a non-green energy tariff.

WHAT

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

peanut- posted:

You’d know pretty quickly if this applied to you as you’d currently be getting a ~£200 a month bill to power a one bedroom flat. If that is you, I don’t think you can be locked into a contract on a variable tariff so switch asap.

I double checked and it looks like I am on the price cap. My direct debit hasn't changed and is still going to the old supplier. The new supplier has advised it could take a couple of months to set up an account and not to do anything in the meantime. Until this limbo endds it's unlikely I could switch suppliers even if I could find one to take me on.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm wasting my Friday afternoon looking at firepits. I wanna burn stuff, but not my cat, and I'm worried he will try to get into it when it's still hot.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I had it in my head that chimineas didn't give off as much heat or light as a firepit, but the cat would be less likely to open the door and get in.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've just received a Labour data breach email.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the Labour Party or affiliated union member. The only reason they have my details is because I volunteered during the election campaign (or possibly from making a donation to Momentum, when I probably used the same email address). I don't know if that helps the thread narrow down what database was compromised.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My garden is tiny, and a 1.5m firepit would be way too close to the house or fences. It'll have to be a dinky little firepit with a dinky little fire, for my dinky litle social circle.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Someone is knocking on doors in my street saying that there have been complaints about gas and electricity. Prices will be going up by 68% next week and was I aware? I have no idea who they represent because they didn't introduce themselves except to say that they were not selling gas or electricity.

Is it too deeply cynical to suspect some kind of loan shark is doing doorstop selling?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

feedmegin posted:

They are probably lying about not selling gas or electricity (or at least they aren't directly, themselves) and are trying to get you to switch providers in exchange for a commission from the new provider.

I thougt nobody was switching at the moment? Suppliers of last resort aren't actively touting for more customers.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

He really does, or better yet not say anything at all. His father is being sent home because there is nothing the hospital can do now and I'm not sure he has much time left so there's no need to tell him.

I take it his dad is in Wales? It sounds like he needs to explain to his new girlfriend that he needs to be near his father. They can alternate weekends in Wales and Portsmouth if necessary. Losing a parent is incredibly stressful and I would hope a partner would understand the circumstances and not try to compete for attention with a dying man.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Durham University is not offering training to students who are sex workers. She is (deliberately?) misquoting the article.

It is offering training to staff on how best to support students who are turning to sex work to support themselves during their course of study.

Nobody is getting tips on deepthroating a client or where to get free condoms.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1459812319760900096?s=20

How does a 93? year old with servants to do everything for her sprain her back?

I'm a good five decades younger and I can pull a muscle rolling over in bed. I imagine at 90 that simply breathing in too deeply would dislocate a lung.

Not t hat I believe the excuse. Prince Charles looks like he is nearly in tears at the Cenotaph as he stands in for her.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Please don't give the government any more encouragement to declare people with broken necks fit for work.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Russia's not nuking anyone. They've successfully taken out their enemies on British soil several times in the last decade with no consequences, just ask the people of Salisbury. After the first half a dozen senior politicians, military commanders and royals mysteriously die, Britain will declare victory and announce that, in a shocking twist, it turns out that Putin is in fact next in line to the British throne. All Hail King Vladimir I!

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 14, 2021

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If the target wasn't the maternity hospital, then it could have been the Cathedral just round the corner where the Remembrance Parade was taking place. It depends at what point the taxi driver realised what was going on and pulled over.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This sounds very appealing but I'd like to know more about people's experience of this. So far it's been a faff:

1) first I download the "vanced manager"
2) then i change my phone's settings to install .apk's from unknown sources because it didn't come from the play store
3) then i download something called microG which is apparently necessary but for what i don't know
4) then i download youtube vanced
5) and then - and this is where i get concerned - i have to hand over my google account credentials to sign in to youtube via vanced. How secure is this?

Sounds about right, although I haven't bothered to sign into Youtube via Vanced. I keep forgetting to go into the Vanced app and instead hit the Youtube icon automatically, and only remember when a godawful 'Watches of Switzerland' ad starts up.

I could cope when it was 1 x 6 second unskippable ad at the start, tolerated it when it became 2 x 6 seconds, but now they're 19 seconds and always for stuff I will never be interested in.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
When the EU referendum was announced back in early 2016, the Irish government assembled committees to work out what it would mean for them if the UK left. When the result came in, they already had an understanding of the problems wih the border, trade, peace etc. The UK, on the other hand, had done no prep at all. Even if our government had put the effort in at that point, we would still have been months behind everyone else and rushing to play catch-up.

May was also the one who began the war cry 'No Deal is better than a Bad Deal'.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The only time that threatening legal action worked was when my sister-in-law did it, and she is an actual litigation lawyer.

I am constantly amazed at how knowing the magic words can turn every customer service failure into a three-figure profit.

Also, I had completely forgotten about Jeff and his red curtains, which are either hiding the cremation ovens or the stage where the peep show will start once he's paid the fee.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Public sector pensions are about to get a lot worse: colleges and universities are going on strike because there are proposed changes to pension schemes. And by 'changes', we all know it means 'cuts'.

I have a public sector pension that I signed up to because I am a complete dunce about finances and this was the option of least confusion. Obviously cuts to pension are Bad, but it's hard to get worked up about it when part of me just doesn't think I'll live long enough to claim it. State pension age has risen by about 8 years since I started work, and my workplace pension has always said their pensionable age will eventually rise to meet it.

What will actually happen is that day before I reach pensionable age, I will trip over my cat and sustain a fatal head injury, and under the law of Bona Vacantia all my meagre assets default to the government.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 22, 2021

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was interviewed on BBC World Service many years ago. I swear they put a posh audio filter on, much the same way that nobody really looks like that on Instagram. I refuse to accept that that is how I actually sound.

New Goon business venture: Desperate Dan grows mushrooms on his landed estate, Camrath has a special secret goon fudge code for the special secret goon mushroom fudge.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Carrie Johnson is about to give birth so if he can ride this out, we can expect the PM's popularity to rise slightly and then lots of journalists blaming having a newborn for Johnson's next gaff. We'll collectively ignore the household staff that the Johnsons can call upon and pretend that he's getting up to do the 3am feed.

If he is experiencing the 'buyers remorse' for marrying her then he'll simply have a couple of mistresses on the go and wait to divorce Mrs J when it's politically expedient, just like he got rid of all his other inconvenient families. Someone here posted the minimum term required for a PM to get the pension for life, at which point why would he bother any more? The only question is will he want to control when and how he goes by resigning, or face being kicked out either by his fellow Tories or the electorate?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
People are insane over parking. I once kept a hatchet by my front door because a neighbourly dispute that was half-parking, half-noise escalated to involve multiple households and resulted in physical assaults. I live in a street where people have work vans and it's understandable that they want to keep their vehicles where they can see them. We can complain about reliance on cars, but I live in an area where every other resident is an Uber driver, a Hermes driver, a care assistant visiting people in their homes, a window cleaner etc. There's not enough space but telling people not to rely on their vehicles is essentially telling them to get a better job and stop being a poor.

I chose to live where I do because I don't have a car and it's on a bus route, but my employer is jumping on the 'green' bandwaggon and discouraging staff from driving into work. Of course this means charging for parking, instead of subsidising public transport or looking at flexible working patterns. We only got permission to work from home because of Covid, and that's gradually being eroded. If management insists people are in the office 20 minutes after school drop-off times, then yes, people are going to drive. It's not just about developers, workplaces need to take a long hard look at what they can do too.

Slightly related point: a labourer I hired to do some garden work got kicked off a bus because he had a spade. We had to wait until he had access to a car so he could drive himself and his spade to my house.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Many African countries have woeful vaccination rates (which is in itself a disgrace), so there's no good data on how effective the current vaccines are. They all work in slightly different ways so if the virus can evade one, another may still be very effective. It's concerning but not cause for panic yet. I think compliance with masks and social distancing has stabilized - the people still doing it now will continue, anyone who was going to stop probably has by now. Even if lockdowns and mask mandates were introduced they would be ignored by a large segment of the population, and I'm including the politician authorising them in that, which is a large reason why they would be ignored.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Of course they are mostly young men. There's a generation of boomers who won't even walk to the shop complaining that their foreign counterparts aren't clambering into lorries or sitting in a freezing cold dinghy for hours. Young men are more likely to survive the physically demanding journey with limited food and then be able to find cash-in-hand manual labouring work because they can't be legally employed when they get here. There is a reason that hand car washes sprang up everywhere over the last few years.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The boats are sinking under the weight of ARE JOBS that they have stolen.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats to Essex and Nottingham for having the first Omicron cases!

Also it looks like Javid broke the news of where the cases were via Twitter, once again using the Trump technique of using social media as an official channel of government communication.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Supermarkets have been selling their masks 50% off for weeks now and can't hift them. I bet some poor worker is now being ordered to re-sticker them at full price in anticipation of a rush that won't come.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

Or people wondering when we became such a snowflake society that you can't even name an instrument of infernal wrath after the morning star any more.

I've just watched the documentary about the Mary Rose, and I'm wondering why we can't name a fleet of warships after grandmas any more.

Frustratingly, The Terror isn't on Netflix any more. What else am I supposed to watch as I freeze in my poorly insulated, over priced British house?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Still noone has engaged as to why they think that courtcase was ok. Stupid photoshops are illegal now.

Libel hasn't been OK for quite some time now, whether it's text, a cartoon, or stupid photoshops.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Thank you!

OwlFancier posted:

Is there any understanding of why people have those sorts of problems nowadays? Or did they likely always exist and people just died of them early until quite recently?

They died. Possibly not even of starvation caused by their disordered eating! Disease was everywhere and people who wouldn't eat the little food that was available to the general population were even more likely to keel over.

"Failure to thrive" was a cause of diagnosis that probably meant the infant had food intolerances or a digestive disorder or literally any one of a thousand conditions which we recognise today.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Also in Arab culture, if you're the 'top' you don't count as gay apparently.)

Similar to early modern Europe, because a man who received was playing the part of a woman. And obviously that is just the worst.

Guavanaut posted:

Some of it was probably a matter of how well you were able to hide or 'correct' it, left handedness was once regarded somewhat like LDs are by general society, some mix of 'disobedient on purpose', 'brain wired wrong', and 'probably satan or something idk' and often beaten out of kids and hidden by adults except when under close scrutiny (which led to some wild papers about how 12% of criminals and institutionalized insane were left handed, compared to only 2% of decent people), but once it just became a matter of 'does some stuff differently' it leveled off at what we can assume is the 'natural' level (as much as writing and cricket and guitar can be said to be factors of nature).

Left handedness wasn't a problem in medieval/early modern Europe!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness while I believe dietary restrictions are a thing I do not believe that old timey posh people had them, I assume they were all just extremely fussy rich people.

More of them died of constipation that you think. Diets with six types of meat or fish each day but devoid of fruit and veg will eventually catch up with you, epecially if you're dosing yourself with laudenum. Medical treatment was an ordeal unto itself, but the purging prescribed by doctors might actually have helped, temporarily. There are lots of middle-aged aristocrats who spent their final week in agony with abdominal problems, and you can sort of read between the lines as to how full of poop they were when they died.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

The internet has really shone a light on how mindlessly spiteful most people actually are, it's kinda depressing

Philanthropy For Misanthropy. Everytime someone is awful, balance it out, if you can. Someone screaming about lazy benefits scroungers? Put a tin in the foodbank. Conniptions over migrants being rescued? Donation to the RNLI or your local refugee charity. Or drop some of your unwanted stuff off at a charity shop, or buy charity Christmas cards, or find a cafe that does a 'pay it forwards' scheme and...pay it forwards. And if you'e looking at local FB or news pages, make a note of any local traders who say terrible things and resolve never to give them business.

If you've really got the time and money, infiltrate places like the National Trust so that the anti-woke don't sweep the boards when they elect trustees. But the majority of people being spiteful on the internet are just doing that. They aren't out there fighting the bad fight. It can feel so overwhelming but even a tiny gesture of support can help people weather the storm.

Be the light in someone else's darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They'll have to reopen at least some of the big centres again - capacity is only about 200k/week doing them through pharmacists and surgeries, and there's over 30 million to do. Guess I'll get to dust off the hi-viz and practice my Sandhurst Point.

Smaller centres are popping up all the time, and they're pretty efficient. Some offer walk-ins and you might even convince a few people who aren't yet vaccinated through inertia to get it if they're already walking passed somewhere offering it. There are still a few of the larger centres around but the problem is that a lot of the venues have reverted to their proper functions and the volunteers have gone back to work.

Plus, only the NHS staff can vaccinate the under-18s, and now they are all getting a second dose that means diverting them for longer than the NHS had originally intended.