Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hmm possibly have a job offer which could be contingent on being in Cambridge a few days a month for reasons (??).

Could anyone speculate on how grim it would be to have to visit there regularly from Dublin? I've actually never been but I'm assuming there's a lot of decentish hotels or short-stay flats because of all the MNCs located there? If works paying the bill it could be fine I guess.

Might be totally unworkable due to people being tax cunts tho

In the Before Times, I was supposed to attend a weekend set of seminars based in Cambridge in the university buildings in Wilberforce Rd. It was really difficult to find accommodation. Finally booked something via airbnb and then it all got cancelled as the Before Times moved into the Now Times (but I had to just get a voucher not a refund from airbnb because I couldn't prove cancelled travel plans - who organizes travel within the UK in the January for a June trip? I digress._ )

So am just saying, as soon as you have your dates, based on my one example anecdote, start booking your accommodation, unless you could fix up with someone who lives in Cambridge and have some sort of accommodation agreement with them on a private basis?

Ed: nevermind, just saw your post saying HR had nixed it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HopperUK posted:

I have to have an attendance review meeting on Thursday because I had the temerity to call in sick when my sister had COVID and I developed symptoms five days after contact with her. I'm so loving tired. I work for poo poo pay and my eyesight is failing and I'm so done in with this whole thing. Attendance review meeting! So they can tell me my absence levels are unacceptable and I can go 'well I call in sick when I'm sick' and that's it. That's the whole thing. What a waste. gently caress everything.

Do they use the stupid Bradford system - where 3 incidents of sick in under a year gets you a 'review' but 3 x 1 day counts against you as much as 3 x 1 week.

I don't suppose you are in a union are you?

Page snipe:

Year 4 CE

China: Emperor Ping of Han marries Empress Wang (Ping), daughter of Wang Mang, cementing his influence.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 1, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh no! The end of the Millenial avocado toast muncher is nigh! Maybe they'll all be able to afford a house now.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/nov/01/end-of-the-avocado-why-chefs-ditching-the-unsustainable-fruit

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

For a while when I was working for a large, national, extremely popular transport infrastructure company - ahem - I was also partially employed by one of their biggest customers so for a glorious few months I had a travel pass allowing me to sit in 1st Class (so long as there were vacant seats and no paying customers needing to sit - if it was those of us with passes were expected to stand whichever class unless mobility problems). Anyway, the one and only time I took advantage of this option to sit in 1st Class, I sat on the seat only to discover that some bastard had peed on it (and given the livery of the seat covers this did not show). Grrrr. Thankfully, I was wearing dark clothes!
You can bet my phone was texting like crazy to make sure there was a cleaner awaiting said transportation device once it reached the terminus!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

An infinity toilet appears to be one without a rim.

https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/crosswater-infinity-back-to-wall-rimless-wc.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have an idea, and it strikes me as an idea that would be very useful to this thread.

Essentially a link saving app called 'receipts' or 'evidence,' and when you save a link to it, you can add tags to it. You can also add auto tag rules, like if it's from this site tag it as 'guardian,' if the title contains 'corbyn' tag as corbyn, if it's by brendan o'neil tag as brendan, tag tweets as tweet etc.

Optional check boxes to submit it to archive.org for caching or take an indexed / tagged screenshot of the selected text..

The idea being that when you are in an argument and trying to find that guardian article or tweet or whatever, instead of having to try and dig through your bookmarks, history and likes on about 6 different apps, you have one easily searchable list that you can filter by tag.

Half the images on my phone are things that were useful from around the referendum or useful in trying to argue various political points. But can I find them when I need them? Can I bollocks.

It's a nice idea though I do it by having numerous bookmark folders in my browser bar.
And every now and then I realize I am building my very own google in my bookmarks and have a cull.

There's one site I can't find for looking now. It was a site that gave statistical evidence that a certain country (A, say) that plays victim and reports event-sequences dating from a rocket attack by a certain country-like location (B, say) whereupon hundreds of innocent civilians of B are killed or maimed by the state-sponsored terror group military of A, in fact initiated event-sequences well over 95% of the time but just didn't count them because they didn't use a rocket to start it. The site disappeared mid 2014. Can't think why. Hmph. :colbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Noxville posted:

This is the woman who was interviewed in that horrible BBC article that just today they’ve been all out defending. Content warning for some genuinely violent transphobia

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1455574098717913096?s=21

That is horrific.
I think that is probably the most hateful thing I have ever read in a public place.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Paper Planes posted:

Hi UKMT

Sorry I'm a big lurker in this thread, but I did want to ask a question in case anyone is knowledgeable about employment law.

During the Christmas period, our company forces us to use our annual leave when the offices are shut down, however I do work in a department that provides support and advice. We have been asked to volunteer to watch our help desk for queries that come through during this time, however I think there is no time in lieu nor compensation offered, being as its in a period that the company has actively forced us to take leave, is this legal? (I have no intention of volunteering, keeping my leave sacred! But it would be useful to know!)

Depends on your employment contract I guess. But I doubt it is illegal.
I once worked somewhere where my offer letter said 4 weeks annual leave, but when I got there I was told that it was compulsory to take the time between Xmas and New Year off as part of that. Which as someone who does not celebrate Xmas was not welcome. But that was in the 80s.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 2, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

It surprises me that workplaces are still doing Covid restrictions. Most of my colleagues are lucky if we get 1 day a week WFH (we have a lot of customer facing work) and quite a few people choose to wear masks, but that's up to individuals. We've booked a night out for the work Christmas do and some of us are going to a colleague's housewarming party next week.

In 18 months, nobody in my department has had Covid.

On the other hand, I work with just two other people, there are only 3 paid employees at my work, and we only go in on Mondays. The other two both had covid in the past few weeks despite being double jabbed. Both of them have teenage kids at two different schools miles apart.

Fortunately, I did not succumb.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I'm definitely biased on the issue because I find working from home to have too many distractions (*cough* Steam account *cough*), but I find being in the office to be just generally better for me.
Particularly since I now have more stuff to do at work, having a concrete split between "at work" and "at home" makes it much easier for me to do my hours and then gently caress off home. Or, at least, do my hours and then whatever extra time it takes to finish the urgent stuff, and then gently caress off home.
There's a real split in management, though. The pressure coming from senior leadership is very much "you should be in the office if you can be" and "if you're not well enough to be in the office, you should call in sick"... but basically everyone - including less senior managers - agrees that there's actually quite a lot of work you can do on a day when you're just unwell, and even working at 60% efficiency from the comfort of your own home is better than being off sick and working at fuckitI'mwatchingTV% efficiency.

So where do you draw the line? There is, after all, plenty of scope for scope for workers of all sectors to be lazier when working from home than if they were in the office. Particularly if they do a job where it's hard to pull a bunch of metrics to gauge performance.

I get loads more done at home. My boss loves a chat and I don't disappoint haha - plus we have volunteers dropping in throughout the day (I work for a small charity). Some are great, you give them something to do and they get on with it. Others need cups of tea, catch up chats, and considerable 'hand holding'.

And yes, it is perfectly possible to do a full day's work from home when you're feeling a bit under the weather - maybe all you need is to take a couple of rest breaks throughout the day to get on with the work especially if you don't have to waste pointless hours in meetings. The 3-4 hour daily commute - mostly standing - which I used to have to do between Walthamstow and Croydon would finish me off.
My personal guideline for when to go back to work after a heavy cold, flu or whatever would be: when I feel better at home AND also have the energy to do a 3 mile walk two days in a row (my daily commute included about 3 miles of walking to and from station at both ends, through stations, along train lengths and so on) without dying.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

What’s the latest information on the accuracy of these? I remember early on reading the accuracy was appalling and we had access to loads because the US rejected them as useless, and then later on reading that actually they’re fine?

I still do a test before seeing somebody but it feels more like a symbolic ritual, is it useful?

Both my work colleagues tested positive on the lateral flow tests. Then sent off the PCR and got negative. But suffering from all the classic symptoms, a couple of days later went to drive thru PCR places and got positive. Turns out that they were initially sending to the dodgy lab giving false negatives.
At work we've decided to rely on the ltf which we take before going in on Mondays. Because in any case the PCR doesn't seem able to pick it up until you're into the infectious stage.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

So glad I quit that LP poo poo show.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just got one of those emails from the Labour Party about that breach. Using an email address I didn't use for them for at least 2 years before I quit.
And I have now been formally quit (including confirmation email from them since March 2020.

I do use that email address for Unite though. So I'm wondering if they're also picking up affiliates. I've not got round to stopping the political contribution element so I can possibly still get a vote in a leadership challenge if anyone worth it stands.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

peanut- posted:

Is this too much hubris? It is at least the lead story in every paper.

Con (+2)

I doubt it. Most non-politically engaged people think 'they're all at it anyway' 'what more can you expect' 'wot a larf, Boris boys cheaky stealin' bantz' etc.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Any MP voting in favour of weakening the standards should be instantly subject to a full and thorough investigation of their financial affairs.

Page snipe: Cat and 14 in one:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Some more goat stuff:

My parents used to keep goats back in the 60s.
We used to live in a house with two sets of stairs and the goats used to charge up the backstairs and come down the front stairs.
My dad was the goat milker.
Nanny goats get jealous of people who the goat milker might be affectionate with in its presence.
We had a swing in the garden, if mum was on the swing and dad wasn't in view of the goat, the nanny goat would charge at mum from behind while she was on the swing.
My sister and I used to sneak into the barn and sit amongst the sacks of maize flakes meant for the goats and sit and eat handfuls oblivious to the fact that mice and rats probably ran riot through the maize flakes.
Goats are also good for keeping the grass down in orchards and graveyards.
They got goats because I had terrible eczema and at the time it was believed that cows' milk caused eczema. We had 18 pints of goats milk a day which dad would turn into butter and cheese. But I hated it and refused to consume goat milk products. So every day there was 1 pint of cows' milk for me from the milkman.
One time, there was a photo of my dad and us kids in the local paper with the goat kids.

Oh and I missed one - not our goats but a relative's goats. The nanny had kids at midnight in the snow one Christmas. They froze to death in the snow. My relative cleaned them up and put them in the freezer and several months later dished them up to the family as 'lamb'.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 4, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmOJx_Hxto

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

At some point there was a team (probably assisted by a 'script' though I know manual effort was also involved so it might even have been on someone's home pc) feverishly searching twitter and facebook by email addresses used by party members to see if any Corbyn supporters said fk the foofighters or whatever so they could suspend them.

I don't know if they were searching every member and maybe finding posts satisfying {pro-Corbyn} AND {swear word} or had somehow just got a list relating to members who supported Corbyn.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Foo fighters chat:

I blame Ceremy Jorbyn

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hope he sues the poo poo out of the solicitors.
Not just about the house but about his stuff esp papers. He probably has all manner of irreplaceable documents, photos etc that have gone - where?
The purchaser will also have lost out as IIRC the purchase will be void assuming they bought in good faith.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

FT article:

https://www.ft.com/content/51c93ba3-4a59-4e88-92ed-3e152a896493

quote:

More than 100 Tory MPs failed to vote with the prime minister, even though — according to one backbencher — some were told “they would lose funding for their constituency” if they failed to toe the line

Plus, government members were told to support it or get the sack.
Some tory MPs in tears as they dutifully trooped through the govt lobby.

Thought to be more about Johnson wanting rid of Kathryn Stone, the standards commissioner who has investigated the bloated binbag full of custard on several occasions in the last few years.

Worth reading the whole article: You can read more if you register for a free account. You might even be able to read this for free if you're not a habitué of the FT.

MHO: If this doesn't give the party ammo to get shut of Slimey Johnson, I don't know what will. In Thatcher's day it would have been a visit from the men in grey but I think Johnson got shot of them all.

Cynical comment under the article:

He’s had the budget so he can’t reduce beer prices now. He could send Priti Patel to Dover, surrounded by “Border Force” officers, give her a pair of binoculars and declare there’s an invasion. He could come up with COVID epsilon but that’s more than two syllables and he’s lost too many otherwise reliable supporters. He could definitely find a Bulgarian in prison in Britain, leak whatever crimes were committed and announce a vote on reintroducing capital punishment. Or the ambassador to France must have been asked to call in any favours and find someone, anyone, even if they just sound French to insult Britain so that he can call an emergency cabinet meeting to deal with the French. Gibraltar could come under attack. Maybe send a few planes to the Falklands. He could give a speech and say that Britain’s economy will (has already if only Remainers stopped denying it) overtake China and the US combined as soon as Northern Ireland is freed from Brussels. Announce that a British scientist working in a red wall constituency has found a cure for cancer, he’s already approved it and everyone in the EU will die waiting for the EMA. Terrorism? Surely some Muslim has to come to the rescue. Even if he just steals a car - he must be stealing it on the orders of a Mullah in Pakistan to bring England’s way of life to an end. Maybe announce a trillion pounds for something.
If all this fails - there’s fish.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 5, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Why don't people check their Junk (or Bulk in some providers) folders?

In the past week both my boss and today my mother have denied receiving important emails (very important in mother's case - involving her house sale) until I insisted that they look in their junk folders. Mum found loads of emails from definitely not junk email from friends and so on.

Her response was a hectoring lecture to me about how dare Outlook think it has the right to decide what is and isn't junk, how the human brain is superior and so forth.

:bahgawd: :argh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get like 300 work mails a day, sorry I'm not checking for anything extra

Not even if they're (genuinely) offering you £1000+ as a donation and contacted you via the website contact form that always goes to junk? (that was one of the work ones).
(Obviously depends on your work.)

Re students:

My experience at uni (ok it was a LONG time ago) was the few students who bothered to vote voted tory (Thatcher back then) because 'my mum and dad always do and they said I should'.
The only time more than 10 students turned up for a students' union meeting was - given the usual lack of attendance at meetings and also noone called 'quorate' until the union had pushed through its wishes - the union president was going to push through a motion donating the entire year's funding to the RA. Someone got wind of it and called an EGM and almost the entire college (one of London Unis colleges) turned out to squash it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 5, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I never do because its always full of junk.

But thanks for the reminder, otherwise I would have missed out on this $70,000 I'm apparently due. And quite a lot of rather raunchy dating offers.

You might also have missed out on emails from friends about bereavements, important quotations regarding house moving, and so on.
Yes, there is a lot of junk, but a lot of important stuff ends up in junk too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah well, seems like there's the problem. Surely you can put a rule in place to de-junk those submissions.

Everything else is crap. I might skim it once a month, or if I'm expecting a confirmation mail and it doesn't turn up or something but otherwise I'd drive myself mad if I concerned myself with apl that digital crud

Tried that it doesn't work most of the time :( (Also doesn't explain mother).

RA: Ira

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 5, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

From The Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cf9319ee-3dff-11ec-a9ce-48a11f44f00d

Fieldwork Wednesday (day before the Patterson vote).

I think the article is worth reading if it's not pay-walled (not sure as I get a few freebies every month).
Investment tip in article: invest in white suits

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is that current intent to vote? What does it mean?

Or is this just among Times readers? Because that's the only way I can see over half of 2019 Lab voters still wanting to vote for the party.

Seems to be a yougov poll but whether it was a private poll for Times Readers or a poll that the Times commissioned or a general poll that the Times made a chart from, I'm not sure.
However, I think there are still a lot of labour voters prepared to vote labour and even some members who approve of Starmer (judging from people I know). We are a bit of a bubble in here.

Ed:
Found this in the Independent:

quote:

The latest YouGov poll shows the Tories down by three points on 36 per cent and Labour up two points on 35 per cent.

The survey for The Times was carried out on Wednesday evening and Thursday – shortly after the government’s controversial Commons vote to save Mr Paterson and rewrite conduct rules.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 5, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Re_whatevering/status/1456687885738991625?s=20

Why is it me at the top of the page again? I have no imagination for a page snipe today.

A .22 is some sort of gun.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

You could have the 100m Corruption Dash(say a £500 bung to advocate for the local shop to put in a gaming machine), the marathon corruption with longer term carefully planned scam (land development for example), the putting the shot (lobbing some sort of metaphorical lump into someone's plans to wreck them), the decathlon - mixed bag of 10 different corruptions etc.

With enough time I'm sure we could come up with 200 different corruptions to get gold medals for.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Vim was the lead guitarist and singer of Bad News, the Comic Strip Presents mockumentary about a crap British metal band that came out within weeks of This Is Spinal Tap, completely coincidentally as far as anyone can tell. Vim was played by Ade Edmondson and has one of my all-time favourite lines, right up there with "These go to 11" to explain the brain of the guitarist - "Jimmy Page was 23 when he wrote Stairway To Heaven, but I could play it when I was 12, and I think that says it all".

But did he.....

Spirit's melody predates Zepp's by around 3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7hCIWwhGE

:banjo:

:thunkher:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're not really *that* similar other then both starting on Dm - there's a Rolling Stones tune I can't remember the name of that's quite similar too.

Bearing in mind my entire musical theory knowledge consists of proofreading a lesson plan Coohoolin was writing, they also go in different directions after that - while Stairway stays on the same root and changes the arpeggiated chord, the other tune keeps the same arpeggio but has a descending root. It's not as clear cut as, say, Lithium using the exact same chords as Where Is My Mind (and both being about mental health for that matter), or even the bajillion songs all using Pachelbel's Canon for a bass line or chord structure[1], I think it just falls into "There's only so many possible combinations of notes".

[1] Tell a lie, this is my *other* bit of musical theory knowledge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

There's mostly American songs here but once you learn to recognise the pattern you'll hear the fucker *everywhere*, especially in 80s pop from All Together Now to I Should Be So Lucky.

Zepp: I might have given them the benefit of the doubt except for the numerous times they seem to have somehow accidentally and without prior knowledge - ahem - used other peoples' tunes/lyrics without acknowledgement. (Some have subsequently had acknowledgements added).

eg Dazed and Confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc

They're far from the only ones though:

Cream - Sunshine of your love (does not have a 14 min drum solo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt51rITH3EA

Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida (big favourite down the youth club in Germany when I was a teen)

(SImpsons 1 minute version omitting the 14 minute drum solo) original is 17 mins. (OK 2.5 mins drum solo but anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDC1w1ydLI

17 minute version if you've got some mind-altering substances in and never heard this before.... re-living being 14 years old and the first time I heard this. (I don't belIEEEEEVVVe it they've stuck an advert 5 mins in. Hmph).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVe-rZBcm4

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 8, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I'm pretty sure a judge said that Stairway to Heaven was not, in fact, a rip-off of Taurus, so really the issue is closed.

Oddly, though, the judge didn't pass comment on the Butthole Surfers' 'Hairway to Steven' album, or Camper Van Beethoven's 'Stairway to Heaven (Sic)'.
Makes you think.

What do judges know, ha.
There used to be a secretary at work who was heavily into Butthole Surfers. Never got into them myself.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you and yours get well soon.

I found out today why one of my cousins always looks so tired. He recently split from his wife and is now living with a woman in Portsmouth. But in some bizarre bid to make it look like they haven't split (because his dad is very ill and he doesn't want to upset him) he's still driving from Portsmouth to South Wales, working and driving back again everyday. That's a 5 hour round trip and a full days work, apparently he's getting around 5 hours of sleep a day. I told him he'll end up crashing on the motorway after he falls asleep at the wheel. The ideas some people have.

Gambrinus posted:

My mate lives in Portsmouth and driving down from Cardiff once a year or so is pretty tiring. Doing it twice a day, five days a week, is a recipe for disaster.

I know it's easier said than done but he needs to metaphorically rip the plaster off and tell his old man.

Wouldn't it be possible to say he has to work in Portsmouth mid-week or something so he only does it every 2-3 days?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My revulsion for Johnson knows no bounds. He is unspeakably unspeakable. ^^ this comment is unrelated to the comment above, I've been working on how many words for vile I can come up with to describe it, the thing, for some minutes now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’ve just bought a house where the previous owner had some debt issues and the house has a prepayment electricity meter. It’s such a scam!

The charges are higher than a standard meter. Most of the places you can top don’t take card, or charge anywhere up to £1 extra for a card payment. And they’re always in areas with bad access to cash points so if there is a cash point available it’ll be one that charges a quid to withdraw. And this is all for people who are struggling with debt or don’t have good credit for a regular meter.

And the ones with 'keys' (I don't know if that is all of them now?), I've seen despairing posts from people in our local facebook groups whose electricity has run out and they can't get a top up on their key anywhere especially over long bank holidays eg Xmas. One women with young kids I recall being without any electricity for 5 days because there was nowhere to top up the key.
(Don't ask me how the top up mechanism works, I have no idea. I have some idea they have to stick it in a paypoint machine or some such.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hm internet based services require

(1) a router that probably needs the mains so if you're electricity is out so is the router or
(2) a smart phone with data that is charged and ready to go so if you've used all the battery up and the 'leccie is out, so is the phone.
(3) if your 'leccie is out, and your router/wifi is out, but your phone is charged, to live in a location which actually has a mobile phone data signal which many places round my way do not have

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My office (which can be reasonably described as Extremely Woke) is doing a survey

Is, uh, "underclass" an accepted term? :stare:

This is so much bollocks.
And so bloody 'linear'.
Many peoples' lives don't fit neatly into any of those boxes. The one thing I can safely say about my parents is they both came from skilled, working class backgrounds (factory workers, foundry/postal workers) and never had any money. We used to have the welfare van visit in the 60s and it wasn't until the early 70s dad finally moved into 'middle-class' occupation thanks to evening classes and so forth.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apparently:

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1458169556980146183?s=20

Seen a bit of conflicting info on this one

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Times on Saturday:

Boris Johnson is planning to hold a cabinet away day at Chequers next week to discuss plans to “level up” Britain, but not all of his ministers are on board.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chequers-away-day-irritates-ministers-chjfd56mf

And now, sorry for the tweet source, couldn't see it anywhere else:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1458178657848074247?s=20

He's gone/going back to Glasgow but wasn't originally going til Friday I think.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

And another thing, why would those at COP26 - presumably quite high-powered intelligent persons, need a complete arsewipe fuckwit to 'bump their heads together' for?