Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I wonder how they initially got access to the house. Broke in, changed front door locks and then called a glazier or whatever to replace the window?

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, it's mostly absentee landlords because it's a lot easier to sell the house when you have a few months where they're away from it. This person was just caught away from home for an extended period for other reasons.

Indeed - I was out of my flat for months in a row last year while I was at my parents over the whole lockdown period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Noxville posted:

If they’ve got a driving licence with that address on it then surely easy enough to just get a locksmith to let you in

Good point - if you're going to all this effort what's a little bit more fraud.

Also, if the reaction of the guy in the article is true:

quote:

"Mr Hall phoned the police, but the builder left and returned with the new owner's father, who said he had bought the terraced house in July, adding: "It is now my property. You are now trespassing. Get out."
then that's a weird reaction, unless you knew what was going on.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Off to spend more time with his business interests.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Apraxin posted:

Keir-mentum!

This latest scandal does appear to have more of an impact than I would have expected, I'm not surprised to see those numbers. More people that I loosely speak to (i.e. not staunch leftists like this thread) are starting to feel a bit tired/weary/what-the-loving at the administration.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yay I have Covid. Looking forward to ten days by myself in the flat! That's what you get for working a job that mandates three days a week in the office with a constantly revolving roster of people in or out because they've had a positive result.

Tested positive on a random PCR on Saturday, but still negative on the lateral flow tests today. Here's hoping to an asymptomatic recovery!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hope no-one spent their £750 already https://news.sky.com/story/mass-legal-action-against-google-blocked-by-supreme-court-12465082

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nah, you can see a poppy hiding behind his hand.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm trying to clean up my twitter because I might have to actually start using it for freelancing / work, but also there are a bunch of funny / interesting accounts I don't want to stop following, and I still have that brain disorder where I see tweets and think 'this is important, my 50ish followers need to know about this' so I basically need to clear out my retweets.

Having been reflecting on this for a while, half the problem is that so much of this is public facing. Like on my podcast subscriptions, nobody's going to notice that I follow praxiscast or transhfuture, but on twitter I feel like one chud could look at my likes and follows, see names like Sinan or Ash Sarkar and instantly put together an argument for why I should be harassed, or why my followers should be harrassed for following me.

Sometimes I think the entire internet would be vastly improved if some kind of very focused emp took out every comment section.

You just need two accounts - I have one for my business, and one for my personal (which is mostly following accounts like that and complaining at companies).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Puntification posted:

Rest in piss lowtax.

I love it when the right gently caress up their attempts to import US culture war poo poo and it falls flat. Imagine how thick you'd have to be to think quiverfull poo poo was gonna fly here.

https://twitter.com/99_hp/status/1458764862167961600?s=20
https://twitter.com/99_hp/status/1458774860033925127?s=20

:discourse:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Noxville posted:

Not quite a verbal contract, it was in an email, but yeah before any payment terms had even been mentioned

“We’ve decided not to proceed with the work at the minute - thanks for your time.”

That’s it - if (as seems possible) he’s a bit of a conman then anything else is just going to open conversation which he’s probably a lot better at than you.

Even if he starts work without a deposit you could find yourself in a world of pain if he does a poo poo job or just decides after a few days and half a demo job that he actually needs money for x y z.

You don’t owe anything, just knock it on the head.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lungboy posted:

This article is very interesting https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/1458483178658746371. If I had time I'd try and corroborate some of it.

I genuinely had no idea of this part:

quote:

“Before we start getting too worked up, can we just remember that for decades and decades you just self-identified, got elective medical care, changed your birth certificate, and lived in equality?”

I didn't realise that as a country we'd actually taken steps backwards with regards to people's rights.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Oh and grammar too. Sex, work, and grammar.

I'm not sure what the lizard thing is, I think it came up itt a couple days back, but I'm fairly sure it means 'the worst people on twitter'

Nice casual ablism from the one calling other people fascist too

Shinigami eyes putting the work in there I see!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s astounding by design? that an individual can just delete notes with no backup or even just an audit log to show “it said this and now it says that”.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[3] Jim Slater and another bloke whose name I can't remember basically invented asset stripping as we currently recognise it. They recognised that accounting rules of the time meant that companies that were massively capital-intensive - i.e. most secondary industry in the UK - could be bought up for a fraction of the resale, or even scrap, value of their tooling. Bankrolled by Tiny Rowland and other members of the Clermont, they did exactly this, obliterating factories that had in many cases been in business for centuries overnight. We blame the death of the North on Thatcher but it was Slater and those that followed him that actually wielded the knife and a substantial amount of the damage was actually done under Heath and Callaghan.

Good little writeup!

I think the name you're looking for is Peter Walker (the MP, not the Guardian writer).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1459650263795605515

This seems illegal as gently caress so of course nothing will happen.

Betteridge's law of headlines means that he’ll be ok.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jedit posted:

HHH instead of HRH. Prince Andrew keeps his job but is now billed as The Under-18 Taker.

:golfclap:

This wasn't what I was expecting on a Sunday afternoon.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

feedmegin posted:

So are people living in East Ham called East Hamsters? Cos I am one now. No longer :smugdog:

The Hammerites. All hail to the Master Builder.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

endlessmonotony posted:

Just realized something.

Do the British know why Eastern Europe has a tradition of putting rugs up on the walls?

No... why?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I find this very bizarre. Why isn't he in Broadmoor or similar? Why doesn't he have a decent cell with TV etc even if the powers that be have decided he should be in solitary for ever?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-cannibal-killer-set-die-22148514

Agreed, this just seems utterly bizarre and vindictive. There is too much focus in the prison system on punishment rather than treatment - and even in a case like this where it has been 'decided' that he can't be safe to be released ever, why be so cruel?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Grey Hunter posted:

Then again, the wording of this will 100% include some legal wording that means you can't be prosecuted for anything you did like this BEFORE it became law.

Isn't that how it should be though?

And regarding the Amazon/Visa thing - I expect both sides will reach a new agreement, probably along the lines of the ones they currently have. My guess is that Amazon is more valuable to Visa than the other way around, but who knows.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Meanwhile air pollution hasn't fallen much at all because, just like with the CCZ, they chickened out of making heavy goods vehicles and executive coach services pay an actual fair share. You can take a hundred Euro3 cars off the road and the impact is instantly negated by the first tipper truck with a clogged DPF to go charging in. I suppose at least unlike the CCZ it hasn't ended up *increasing* pollution, because with lower traffic inside the zone it gets more economical to use HGVs for multi-drop deliveries.

The real question is which failson is even now drafting the leaflets blaming all this on the Islamonazi Khan, ready for his mayoral bid in 2024.

I hadn't thought about that - once you've paid your daily fee to get the lorry inside the zone you might as well get as many drops out of it as you can.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

Counter point : when they HEAR ombudsman they tend not to roll over so they don't look like they're making exceptions for people who threaten them.

If you just make them THINK about the ombudsman then you're all good.

As someone who's run complaints teams before this is much, much closer to the truth.

As soon as you mention ombudsman it's straight off to legal to deal with, because we really don't want to fall foul of the Fair Treatment of Customers TCF measures.

Mentioning escalation means that it'll get dealt with even more by-the-book than before because the regulator really, really doesn't like it when you settle to avoid the FOS.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My cousin served in (on? It’s a sub so hard to tell) the HMS Superb, which I loved because a) it’s not something like Vengeance, it’s Superb! And b) because all the sailors called it the “Super Bee” which is adorable 🐝 🐝

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Unkempt posted:

Bunch of numberplates round my way start with HMS which makes for some boring ship names.

GSV first name buncho’numbers

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

happyhippy posted:

Nige can be bought off to say whatever you want for just £87

We should save up for when the Queen kicks it we get him to say 'I'm glad shes dead'

Someone managed to get him into saying “up the ‘ra” a while back.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

keep punching joe posted:

The evil company that I work for continues to be good at the pandemic (terrible at everything else), and are now shutting down all plans to switch to hybrid/return to office until after Christmas at least.

Mine has cancelled the Christmas party, but all staff are still expected in three days a week.

There is no disconnect noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Crankit posted:

I've got a job offer and they want me to bring in my P45 and documentation of my national insurance number (the card or a payslip), I've lost both of these but I'm on universal credit as a jobseeker, will the job centre be giving me those details, how do I solve this I'm feeling a lot of dread and panic right now.

I recall that if you don’t have a p45 they’ll put you on an Emergency Code (ending in M1 W1 or X) until they sort out what your code should be.