Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

tetsuo posted:

according to some very reliable twitter ITKs it was already decided after the chelsea game just an unfortunate look as they happened to win today

I’m guessing they didn’t expect the win which is understandable given how they have played this far. Must have been terribly inconvenient for the Board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Blasmeister posted:

That's a quarter of the league's managers sacked by November, impressive stuff

Patience is not a highly prized virtue by PL chairmen is seems

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Howe isn't exactly the rock star appointment many were expecting under the new ownership though.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I genuinely think you have to go back to Ray Clemence to get a regular England keeper who you don't have to give a disclaimer for. Going backwards on this list, ignoring players with less than 10 caps:

Ray Clemence: Definitely wouldn't have been out-jumped by a five-and-a-half foot Argentinian or fallen flat on his arse dealing with a routine deflected shot. England would have won the World Cup in 86 *and* 90 if he'd been in goal instead of that loving Tory Peter Shilton. Now you might say he retired in 88 but I say wouldn't you cut your career short if that pube-headed oval office kept getting picked in front of you?

Or if Neville Southall had played for England instead of Wales

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Whether or not Lampard would be good for Norwich is debatable but I'm pretty certain Norwich wouldn't be good for Lampard. Absolute poison chalice and I would give him close to 0% chance of keeping them up. As previously mentioned this gig isn't his dance based on his prior experience. As much as I was dismayed when Big Sam came to Everton he is exactly what Norwich need now.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Unless they want to give him 2 transfer windows to build a squad I guess?

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Weaponized Cum posted:

Is the Scottish League even remotely close to The Championship, though?

Less competitive certainly and I would imagine that given the PL parachute payments there is probably more cash splashing around the championship than the SPL but that said managing Rangers (or Celtic for that matter), is still a tough gig and he has done well. Not enough experience for Liverpool yet but I reckon he is ready to cut his teeth in the PL

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

T Bowl posted:

If only he could get off the bench he would have

Allegedly coming back to the PL in January - good thing , those benches will need warming up that time of the year.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

I think it will be interesting to seer how Stevie G gets on in the PL. If he is really on a path to be Klopp's successor then he needs a decent team in the PL to get some more experience.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Is anyone else feeling that with all these international breaks the PL is kind of becoming a domestic break from the internationals or is it just me?

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Lampard in talks with Norwich - could be an interesting move

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Whether that's a good thing or a dystopic portrait of yet another new hell, who can say

I think we know the answer to that

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Shrapnig posted:

No, but here's a weird article from October talking about Everton releasing him at the end of the season with no mention of anything other than he hasn't made any appearances.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/everton-sigurdsson-replacement-lined-up/

I'm not sure if the charges were dropped but he claimed to have been blackmailed by an underage girl who had claimed to be over the age of consent. Having admitted the underage part he was never going to play for a PL Team again.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Vegetable posted:

Can't believe Everton signed Gylfi for £40m. They really threw around crazy money that couple of years.

Yeah that is true - its a sad side effect of being the poor cousin to Liverpool and then having wealthy owners turn up. However, things are looking better and the owners are properly investing in the the club - better training facilities and a new stadium coming. They seem to be focused on building for success rather than pay to win but I guess time will tell

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely if that was what happened and what the police were investigating they'd have dropped the charges and he'd be off to China or somewhere without tabloids to restart his career?

If he has admitted to a criminal offence it could be that it is now being processed to Court; there is s massive backlog of cases following the pandemic so could take quite a while. Keeping a low profile is probably a good idea for now and a s noted earlier the tabloids seem to have lost interest for the moment.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

the sex ghost posted:

I drive past the Bramley Moore site on the way back from work every day. mad to see a development on the docks actually getting built instead of just sort of half done because the developers got arrested

Its early days ; still time for that!!. More seriously though I couldn't agree more, its great news for the area to get some proper redevelopment.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

vyelkin posted:

It's David Moyes's time to shine imo

He already is

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

gafferchat:

I would also take Big Steve Bruce until the end of the season because it will upset Newcastle fans, and that's 90% of what I'm looking for from a football weekend at this point

How funny would it be if Newcastle were relegated and Bruce went on to win something with Man U

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

tarbrush posted:

I think his key issue is that in any formation United play, the spot he wants is occupied by Fernandes and Fernandes is better than Pogba.

So they should sell him and move on - he's too expensive to use as cover for Fernandes.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mickolution posted:

He's on a free in the Summer, isn't he?

Yep so they really need to offload him in the winter window

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

TheRat posted:

Nah, outside of his complete post-euros meltdown Maguire is a rock solid player and will continue to be once someone screws his head back on. Especially if Varane can stop exploding. Did they overpay? Sure, 80mil was a lot but he would easily have been worth 60mil or whatever.

I have to agree that Maguire is usually solid but not £80mil worth of solid - although with PL transfer fees these days £80mil isn't what it used to be.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

Love2pay a world record fee for a guy who cant marshal a defense.

I don't disagree with the sentiment but I don't think he is complete rubbish either. Totally not worth the highest valued defender tag for sure.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

vyelkin posted:

They also almost immediately made him their captain just to make sure nobody else would marshal the defence by yelling at him

That was a big mistake for sure - its obvious looking at their last few performances that he is not the leader they need on the pitch. That said, they are not over indexing on leadership throughout the rest of the team either.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

EC10 posted:

neither of them can be considered a worse signing than arsenal's record breaking transfer and inexplicable captain, Xhaka

You make a strong argument - but worst signing in the PL era has to be Titus Bramble, worst centre back ever.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

bewbies posted:

I wouldn't call pogs a luxury per se, he just has a very specific skill-set and is not very useful in roles that don't fully exploit that skill set.

zidane was kind of the same way, and it isn't any coincidence that so many of the great teams he played on tended to be populated with literally the greatest holding midfielders of all time. zidane even knew it too, and appreciated it.

in other words if you want to take advantage of a one dimensional player's game-breaking talent, you have build the rest of the team with that in mind. not Fred, in other words

Never Fred that true. I just don't think he is so good that you would want to build a team around him, which to my mind would make him either a luxury or an expensive mistake

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

sebzilla posted:

Also Rodrigo Defendi.

I don't know about Rodrigo but I've surely seen many a player who ought to be named Cant Defendi

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Danny Diver - played in Scotland in the 80's

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

French Keeper - Dominique Dropsy. Apparently he wasn't as bad as his name suggests

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

bewbies posted:

fred: singlehandedly undoes a decades long tradition of excellence

edit -- with an assist to harry maguire

I think it’s the whole team to be honest - like when exactly did it become acceptable for players to decide they they weren’t going to try as hard as they could for a specific manager? No pride or passion for the club or the fans.

Andoman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 24, 2021

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

EC10 posted:

i dont remember him standing out in 2018 at all either. kante, matuidi, and mbappe did though.

He played well in 2018 but then so did the whole team so maybe that's why you don't see him standing out.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mickolution posted:

Would be hilarious and typical of United if they hosed that bit up.

Oh please let it be so

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Vegetable posted:

we should also celebrate Danny Welbeck for goals he didn’t score

That’s a lot of celebrating

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Ah well, you can't win them all

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

More excited about the 2 year consultancy. Having an actual football brain informing decisions is bizarrely sensible.

It could be a good move for Utd so long as he can work well with however the manager ends up being. Otherwise could just cause more division.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

I'm sure there were a lot of PL teams that were happy for Ole to stick around.

For sure that must be true, particularly over the last few weeks. I'm sure there will be an almost instant new manager bounce and it will be interesting to see how/if the current crop of players cope with a pressing philosophy because as good as the manager is, if the players cant execute the strategy it wont make much difference.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

it would be pretty gauche to wear christmas lights *at* christmas

Indeed, heaven forbid if he should wear Christmas lights at the same time someone else might wear them.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. I assume he's still made set-for-life money, but you always worry for kids moving to mega clubs so young

Yeah so many of them almost make it to the big time and then you cant help thinking that a few years with a smaller club but getting valuable experience would be better for their careers in the long run.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

The problem is every time a 16/17 year old breaks into a PL team every kid in an academy thinks they are next and a load of them take bad career advice thinking the PL teams have their best interests at heart when demonstrably that is not the case.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

I have just been told that the new collective pronoun for a group of Evertonians is a "suffering". I feel the pain. So with that in mind how much longer do you think before people turn on Rafa (0 wins out of last 7 PL outings)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

sticksy posted:

Guess it's gonna work out ok for that guy from Texas who traveled 86 hours for a canceled Spurs match :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/HKane/status/1465061541162672130

That's pretty epic