Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Isn't the system/website for non-filers still busted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the parties and media love pigeonholing people into voting strategically, rather than for who most aligns with their political beliefs.

Even when the choice is within one of the two major parties. Wasn't there a recent example of this? How did it work out?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

That's quite literally the American political system though and has been since it was started? Because the person who wins gets 100% of the power you have to go with the person who has the highest likelihood of winning and also agrees the closest to your politics. And McAuliffe at least will rubber stamp a lot of progressive legislation going through VA. I agree it should be different but without a massive upheaval and complete change of the constitution we're stuck with bullshit.

I see that you agree that it should be different so general question- how has this worked out for us so far? In the most recent democratic presidential primary?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I know the general tenor of the thread is anti-president interfering with the DoJ and thus DEA and FBI but they could be leaned on to cease enforcement over certain drugs like LSD, Mushrooms/psilocybin and others that have a good safety profile. Cease enforcement over their analogues as well.

Canada enforces their laws against psilocybin to a point but the stores remain open and selling. It's free flowing in a lot of places.

Also, pardons of so many people.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Most marijuana prosecutions are under state law, and the president cannot pardon state crimes.

but he can do federal so he should, especially because federal time is longer. I'm sure there would be crowing about how it's releasing hardened criminals into our communities but a similar reaction will happen with anything he does.

At the very least he should be doing what he can. gently caress meeting the pope, sit in his office all day signing pardons. Part of the issue is he believes that people in prison for drug crimes deserve to be there.

The status quo that Joe Biden and the dems were supposed to return the US to, is and has always been, terrible. The normality was horrifying but behind a decorous veil. Beyond that, that status quo doesn't really exist anymore. Arguably, it hasn't existed in a long time yet democrats are still fighting to preserve it as if it matters.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The rule of law is part of the social contract in the US that is sold and bought into. Those who live with privilege or have not experienced how unjust and inequitable the system(s) can be, buy it. Plus everyone has to live with it, whether they believe it or not.

It loses legitimacy when there is little-to-no redress for marginalized or, hell, just working class, individuals. When the rules are rewritten again and again to favor the wealthy, corporations and cops yet more. When the system that is supposed to represent and govern fails and the people controlling it are so out of touch they think and mindfucked that they this a good thing as poo poo burns around them.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Voters think the president personally sets the price of gas. It really doesn't matter what he can/can't do legally when it comes to winning elections.

Even if it's not legalization, there are things that the president can do to help, which is the spirit of what people here are talking about.

As for selling how it's good to the american people, either those that don't care or look on it as a bad thing- that's part of the job. Maybe give them other things or instill hope for something down the line. A party or individual constantly triangulating to win the next election, which they often fail at anyway, is a piss-poor method of governing

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Neither of these are legalizing weed. Which is what we've been talking about.

Not the spirit of what we're talking about, the literal letter of what we're talking about. These goalposts are gonna create sonic booms if they move any faster

It's not moving goalposts it's that I recognized the intent behind their words. They're being earnest. Explaining that legalization cannot he done by the president is fine but it doesn't address the issue that Biden could be doing more good things with his power, which is part of their legitimate frustration.

He could also push legal boundaries or even pull some lbj poo poo, even if that won't actually happen.

But for the sake of argument, then how about just what I am talking about?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
how many democrats and republicans together, would knife Kissinger just to stick it to people who couldn't afford college/grad school out of pocket?

They dared to gain an education in an attempt to move up in class. This cannot be allowed without consequences.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I suggest polynomial time.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

100% agreed, a debt jubilee is not enough. A lump sum for everyone who already paid their debts, and free college for everyone else sounds good.

on top of this, destroy for-profit schools and salt the earth. Subsidized graduate/professional degrees. Maybe make an exception for law school simply because there is such a glut.

Extend GI bill benefits elsewhere.

Also, people can flunk out of college in two semesters if they do that poorly so I have to lol at the whole "but the standards!" as if the standards right now aren't "can you pay? y/n"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I still like this idea:

Fister Roboto posted:

100% agreed, a debt jubilee is not enough. A lump sum for everyone who already paid their debts, and free college for everyone else sounds good.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Srice posted:

It's the rare kind of means-testing that could actually be good, and not extremely lovely.

(It'd be better for everyone to get a lump sum no matter what, obviously, but at least that would be an acceptable compromise)

I added the elimination of for-profit schools, subsidized graduate/professional degrees, increase GI bill benefits elsewhere.

also the byline about "but if college is free standards will drop!" is bullshit

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Admitting that the system is broken (it is) and that discussion of said system, whether it's the nitty-gritty technicals of party politics, voting, polls, legislative rules, powers of the branches, laws, personalities etc. OR generalities of how/why it's broken, even potential solutions is spinning our wheels does not equate to desiring armed revolution or to convince people to go on a mass strike.

Labor and political organization doesn't happen here. At best some mutual aid occurs (which people should do irl, along with participating in labor orgs). People on all "sides" here vent and that's okay

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
It's absolutely bait amd trolling to ask people to describe how to sabotage or destroy the government. It's literally telling people to describe planning or doing something illegal, which can get them and the site in trouble.

Holy moly.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I wasn't going after you in particular. I just thought it was funny to say "we have nothing left to lose; except the ability to post temporarily" because it's very SA.txt and was just dryly making a joke about it.

I haven't read the mod feedback thread, but is "too many people are being tricked into revealing their assassination plans" actually something that has been discussed multiple times? lol

Common requests is to probate bad-faith arguments and trolling. That isn't a cspam vs d&d thing or leftist vs liberal thing, imo, because those dichotomies are bullshit. If d&d is to be the serious debate forum then it should be treated as such by posters and the mods unless a truly funny troll comes about (like tobleronetriangulum). If this is to be a pure current events thread then let's establish that just like we had separate threads for uspol, chat and a pure current events thread (which was slow and died).

You post a lot of info and frequently defend your positions with sources. I might disagree with you but you'll never see me knock you for that and I'll defend you, for doing it, too.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Also crypto is not necessarily untraceable.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kirios posted:

It's just tremendously frustrating that the Democrat response to the Virginia blunder was "We've gotta go further right! I told you progressive philosophy doesn't work!"

Although I guess it's ultimately our fault for believing that it would be different this time.

nah mang, it's not your fault. It's not "our" fault.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The stock market going up and and unemployment (however the numbers are massaged) going down are not necessarily indicators of success.

Plenty of people do not have money in the stock market or, even of those that do, have it through their 401k, which is often not a significant amount.

Businesses parking money in the stock market rather than reinvesting it in their own businesses, paying workers more, increasing benefits and etc is one of the reasons we have the logistics issues we're having now. They know they'll be fine if something goes horribly wrong because they'll get bailed out.

Unemployment going down might be a factor of desperation and not that real wages are increasing enough to handle both inflation and price spikes.

Messaging on BBB has been terrible, also.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a law designed to enable vigilantism, in an ex-Confederate state with a long history of lynchings, which was written and passed the same year the Union Army started freeing slaves. Giving white people the legal right to summarily execute black people for alleged crimes was probably exactly what it was intended to do, and certainly matches up with how it's been used over the last century and a half.

There is also the fact that the laws mythologize events that never actually happened, were extremely rare or were morally dubious. This, in addition to this idea of fantastical personal heroism.

When the laws actually come into play, unless the situation is really cut and dry (like the video of the guy saying "I am afraid for my life" when he goes to kill his neighbor), they're incredibly ambiguous such that juries can convict or exonerate for basically any reason.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Sounds like this Trump guy committed serious crimes and should be in prison, if the ruling party genuinely believes what you are saying he should be locked up any day now...

The lack of consequences for the organizers and associated leaders, the simultaneous campaign to arrest and prosecute the little people (none of whom who have been accused of treason or sedition), until it was out of public's attention span THEN trying run campaigns on it just shows how out-of-touch and inept the democrats are.

They flubbed the entire lead-up and response. They refuse to recognize the seeds they have helped sow. But police have more money now, so that's good.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Can you not be an rear end in a top hat for 5 seconds and answer an honest question? Do you think Congress should have the power to decide how long their political enemies go to prison for, like directly influence ongoing trials?

The wheels of justice started to turn pretty fast for their "political enemies" that aren't rich or in positions of power/influence. The leaders are the ones that deserve the attention of the justice system and congress.

They definitely can directly influence the justice system if they choose, even if it's just making a phone call. Same with people part of executive admins and judicial offices. It doesn't necessarily mean they're ordering cops to arrest people or deciding sentences- they have a lot of power but when it comes to using it in a way that might actually achieve something, they can't seem to find the levers.

And when you don't use it, you lose it (I am referring to the timing, not for them to go hog wild investigating everything about everyone ever, which, btw, they can do as a matter of law and have done in the past).

Congress gets to decide to investigate basically anything. Their purview is anything, whether there is precedent for it or any legitimacy behind it at all. It took them half a year to start an investigation into 1/6, and could only get a committee for in the House, which has the same neutered air as the impeachment proceedings with somehow even less people paying heed to it. They can compel people to testify or hold people in contempt (and the punishments) and so far it's amounted to not much. Trump's people made them look even more frightened to do anything than usual and neither perception nor reality has gotten better.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
It'd be interesting if parents had a new respect for teachers and schooling and this led to teachers getting paid more, more in-classroom help, more money for education across the board, higher standards, a longer school year, well-funded before and after school programs

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Same is true of the oligarchy, no?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
If policy is divorced from election results and This Has Always Been So then why participate in the system at all? Because anyone who wants to win and can win will not deliver on anything they promise (unless they do somehow it super secretly) or will promise poo poo amd then deliver it.

So basically you have to hope almost everyone in the party is lying amd is actually way further to the left than they claim to be.

More likely, people are reacting to media narratives as someone else pointed out, and their personal state of being.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
This dude really has a finger on the pulse. People don't want the nanny state giving them more help, they've gotten enough. They don't want billionaires taxed. They're worried about the debt. They're worried about pork. They hate the democrats for doing good things.

Biden needs to spend his time doing nothing (legislatively) but, instead, should somehow win back all his lost popularity before the midterms. Doing more is a political risk and see how badly BBB is polling. Heavens to Betsy!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/maybe-biden-should-quit-while-hes-ahead-200343146.html

It never occurs to people like him that maybe Biden wasn't well-liked as a politician or person in the first place. His high polling numbers were a comparison with him perceived as the only available alternative. Or maybe it was the promise that he and democrats would do good things.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Anti-DUI systems can also have high false positive rates, which means you need to go somewhere and your car won't start. They can also have high failure rates, and you're stuck paying the installer a premium for any repair, which you have to wait on.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Is the current inflation issue still just coming from the supply chain log jam?

Biden got some poo poo luck that the Dem takeover and increase in spending happened to coincide with the pandemic supply chain problems boosting inflation. I'm sure the GOP will include the nuance in all their public discussions of the issue.

I know the term inflation is wrapped up with all price increases but there is inflation from an increase in the supply of money, cost-of-living increase and then from stuff like logistics issues and price gouging (like in the meatpacking industry).

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I highly recommend everyone (who wants to and can stand it) watch the videos of the shootings (and of rittenhouse stuff before + during the protest) rather than the media walk-throughs or trial summaries.

Warning, contains violence. Video chops together several individual videos/angles. I set it to start about a minute or so befpre the first shooting, when Rittenhouse runs across the screen, fleeing from Rosenbaum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ferrn7Shyk#t=6513s

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

go on. how is the media manipulating this?

It's more that the media gives an incomplete account. Much of the video, images amd explanation given by major media orgs or individual pundits lacks full context. The prosecution at also leaves out a lot (partially due to the judge not allowing things).

Also a good idea to read Wisconsin law on self-defense and it's limitations.

I believe that Rittenhouse is morally, factually and legally guilty but will be acquitted because of poor prosecution and the judge.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

rrrrriiiiight.
how so? what's the proper context? can you give an example?

Sure.

If you watched the trial or read a summary of it, you miss the video of Rittenhouse talking about people coming put of a CVS saying he wishes he had his AR-15. The video interviews he has where he talks about wanting to defend people's property. His obsession with being a cop. You miss the social media posts of the militia he showed up with where they talk up themselves up and fantasize about confrontation.

Many articles don't explain the limits of self-defense in Wisconsin (like the fact that committing a felony or even misdemeanor removes self-defense as an option unless one has surrendered and are being threatened with grievous bodily harm/death*). They don't explain that self-defense has to be proportional and what that means. Nor do they explain that duty to retreat isn't walking or running away then repositioning, it's leaving the situation altogether or that once someone aims a rifle at someone (which Rittenhouse did after Rosenbaum threw a plastic bag at him) they are threatening deadly force which means the people threatened, or the people near them, can respond to defend themselves.

* does not apply to cops

If you look at these articles and videos:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/us/kyle-rittenhouse-kenosha-shooting-video.html

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007409660/kyle-rittenhouse-shooting-video-analysis.html

They explain and show some background and explain a bit of what happened. But compare it to watching the full video of the shootings or even the entire protest and they're facile by comparison. Add in the context of the statutes, of the crimes Rittenhouse was committing before and during the protest, what other people were doing and etc. Primary sources versus something filtered to give some bullet points and marketed for the most engagement.

Just like how actually watching the trial, or at least seeing detailed breakdowns, as well as knowing the context of the problematic justice system, will show that despite all the evidence being there, the dude is still probably going to get off.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 11, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

can't claim self-defense if you are in the process of committing a crime in Wisconsin*:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/939/iii/48

Also, its not a stand-your-ground state so if he could have kept going, he should have kept going. Also, he aimed at Rosenbaum after Rosenbaum threw the plastic bag which is threatening deadly force.

Now, case law matters a great deal, too, so it's not as cut and dry as I am making it seem. Plus then you have what the judge allows, what the prosecution chooses to use, the witnesses answering things in ways that hurt the case and etc. The devil is in the details.

*there is an exception to this but it doesn't necessarily apple

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Throwing a bag is deadly force?

The two things I don't understand are why wasn't Rittenhouse charge with something like manslaughter as opposed to murder in the first degree and why is the judge refusing to allow evidence such as his conduct after the shooting? To me, someone actions after this event are entirely relevant to the case at hand - his actions with White Supremacists to wearing a "Free as gently caress" t-shirt.

aiming the rifle is threatening deadly force and a disproportionate response to someone throwing a plastic bag

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

I agree in part but also nahh, that's mostly an excuse to cover the fact that most people don't care.

actually plenty of people believe the justice system is fair and miscarriages of justice are extremely rare because they don't look at the evidence or have a cognitive bias to ignore it when presented...

...right up until they are railroaded or a person who hurts them (or someone they know) gets off.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-met-day-care-center-murder-conviction-anniversary-melissa-calusinski-20190113-story.html

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Here is the actual videos, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ferrn7Shyk&t=6513s

There is also a video of him saying he wish he had his AR-15 to confront protestors coming out of a CVS.

Another of an interview with him saying he was there to "defend property" and "that's why he had his gun"

These were not allowed to be shown at trial.

hobbez posted:

So I'll quote the most relevant section from the previous page that redeems Rittenhouse's right to self defense:

Rittenhouse is literally in the act of running away from every individual pursuing him that he ends up shooting.

That doesn't exempt him from his right to self defense.

It's more that the oft-repeated "he crosses state lines" perhaps implies traveling a very long way (hours or hundreds of miles) to a community he had no connection to when this is in fact not the case.

actually committing a crime does exempt someone from the right to self-defense except under specific circumstances. As he has to not only retreat, but not return unless he makes a good faith effort to inform the person.

Also, aiming down sight at someone who throws a plastic bag at you is responding with disproportionate force and Wisconsin law stipulates that proportionate force must be used.

Rittenhouse testified in court that he fired at someone he knew to be unarmed. If you watch the videos, including the FBI surveillance footage, he fires at Rosenbaum, who then falls. No gun grabbing, and far away enough that Rittenhouse has space to ice him with feet between them.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 12, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

i see the 'proud boys aren't nazis' stuff in cspam as well and i'd love to know where the rehabilitation energy is coming from, and if the proud boys themselves know they're not nazis.

Think farm teams.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Judges do have purview over what evidence is introduced in trial. The judge felt the interview with Kyle at the protest, the video Kyle made and the social media posts from the RW militia Kyle was with (that fantasized and talked up confrontation) would be prejudicial for the jury.

This meant that it was virtually impossible for the prosecution to prove motive unless Kyle was shouting it at the protest and it ended up on film or there were eyewitnesses.

Testimony from a militia dude Kyle was with and an alt-right "journalist" was the prosecution's own blunder. Among many other things, including over-charging.

Kyle was carrying a weapon illegally, regardless. He had a friend get it for him.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

papa horny michael posted:

I've always heard from staffers that they don't care about mail, or phone calls, to the offices. Unless it's a big media blitz of pressure, but otherwise that mail and calling don't persuade politicians from their positions. That neither are worth anything. Does anyone have any experience here?

There are liberal and leftist groups that try to start media blitzes for exactly this reason.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Notice the amount of effort required to refute a meaningless, repeated and continually expanding conspiracist lie about how government operates, effort that has to be expended again and again because the people repeating the lie aren’t punished or stopped. The fact that this is due to a binding court order overturning meaningful executive action has been stated over and over and over again.

How is it a lie if the person or people posting it think that is the way it works?

Maybe they're just uninformed and, by showing them the relevant information, they learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Because it’s contradicted by the very thing they’re posting, because they converted it into a conspiracy theory when corrected, and because the exact same conspiratorial lie has been posted and corrected several times. The effect is to derail discussion by obligating other people to respond to a lack of effort with effort, and receive further abuse in return, over and over and over again.

You might as well ask the question of why we don’t gently educate people spreading the belief that the vivid vaccine contains microchips.

Their intent might be to express frustration with the Biden administration continuing the US government's kowtowing to the fossil fuel industry and also the ineffectiveness of climate change policy in general.

Maybe they don't respect the rule of law or the powers of the court enforcing the algorithmic bureaucratic nightmare giving permits to destroy the earth.

Locally I have seen the exact same thing with companies dumping into the water supply and also having free-reign with water even during drought. Any permits they need are rubber-stamped in perpetuity, try to get the offices that do this on the phone and, well, good luck. The courts have decided that the companies are grandfathered into the system- the land they own cannot be taxed or rezoned from the purpose they choose once they purchase it, new laws (environmental or otherwise) don't effect them. Nothing can be done local, county or state authorities, according to the courts and neither the executive nor legislators of the state care to try specific remedies. The company itself receives tax beaks and subsidies while it drains and pollutes water, it's trucks clog up and damage roads, it's plants produce pollution that directly impacts nearby schools to say nothing of wildlife. And the land? Once it's used up they don't have to replant or refill, it's sold either to put in power stations or condos or both.

In essence, the system is a machine and there is nothing to be done even if the right people are elected.

The effect might be that it "derails" discussion but the intended purpose might be to express very real frustration. Conversations spinning off into different threads is natural and information being posted and re-posted happens. I certainly didn't know about the courts enforcing permits for offshore drilling until it was posted. Not everyone follows the thread that closely or reads every article.

Comparing people having emotional reactions is fine, except the emotional reaction to permits being given to offshore drilling is one that comes from a basis of solid fact- it will hurt the environment. Whereas people who are anti-vax are being conned. It's unfair to try to enforce some standard of belief in the system that many believe is broken (with plenty of evidence) in order to post in this thread, just as it's unfair to enforce a standard of knowledge.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 13, 2021