Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IMHO Dems should encourage protest voting more enthusiastically because conservative independents voting libertarian has been by far more damaging to the GOP than commies voting for commies has to the Dems. Instead of fussing about the disloyalty of Lee Carter types or whatever who they are otherwise at war with, they should be boosting the Libertarian party candidate with peripheral orgs or arranging for one to run if the spot on the ballot is empty. The simple fact is that progressives hold their nose more reliably than any other ideology and every time I hear it coming up again I just file it away as another fundraising scare tactic like those terrible emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A common enough mix-up, they should really stop using c-stores as polling stations. There are cultural expectations of them there that run afoul of actual election law

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

didn't Sliwa also get run over after saying he'd get rid of all bicycle infrastructure because he believed there was a war on cars going on

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The only thing that's gonna take Florida from the GOP is the ocean. It's gone, even a competent state party probably couldn't overcome the barriers now in place and they're terrible even by the standards I'm used to for state parties.

Personally I'm just waiting for the op-eds blaming AOC or whoever while not a single person brings up the completely unnecessary 3+ months of media hell quagmire that the Senate moderates created for no reason they ever told anybody that was blasted right into the eyes and ears of every single suburbanite daily by every news channel

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

The infighting between the moderate and left-wing of the Democratic Party I think is leaving a sour taste in some people's mouths. They're playing games of brinksmanship over bills they've promised.

The Progressives haven't budged and have been on the side of both leadership and the White House the entire time. This months long media hell circus is entirely, 100% on the moderates and their refusal to lay anything out or do anything but pout.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very true but i think Dragon has a point that people are loving tired and just want the dems to pass poo poo. the current bill isnt exactly what i wanted but the people i talk for work would benefit greatly from alot of stuff in the reconciliation bill thats Still in the bill and was in the final. alot of stuff i see does blame Manchin and sienam for this poo poo too though.

a thing i noticed. alot of the school boards were not overturned or chudified in the big turn out states. outside lowish turnout state races like PA. PA was judciarry. the GOP ended up winning all three(sucks but not PA Sc just goes back to 5 dem 2 conservative(rep replaced rep) but here it was mostly a Chud turn out because people didnt care about the races. in the higher turn out races, most of the school boards are still ok, which makes me the crossover vote is more mad about school closings and covid poo poo then CRT poo poo. i'll have to read more and this is just stuff i am noticing.

I mean even then, it's not the Progressives stopping anything at all from passing, it's the moderates. They refuse to explain anything or propose anything, they wanna play royal court and be doted upon and fed peeled grapes, everybody just goes along with it as the natural order of things because they know they can just blame the left in the end, and well this is the end result of tolerating that sort of thing. This notion that "well surely both sides must be at fault" is a complete dead end because if you wanna blame the CPC you've also gotta blame Biden and Pelosi and Schumer, but for some reason nobody seems to be.

It isn't moderates versus the left, it's moderates versus everybody else, some dipshit holding court from his houseboat and the least accessible Senator in the entire chamber going on overseas fundraising trips between country club fundraising events. They wanted it to drag out and they got it, if the national level stuff had any effect on any of these races the blame is firmly, square, and entirely on them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

So what's Lee been up to lately

Hes tilling the soil most communistically when he isnt posting about old guns and trains. Pretty sure the dogpile over forcing a RTW vote in protest of it being quietly killed yet again that saw the "left" dogpiling him alongside clintonite ghouls I think completed his transformation to ML

He'll probably lock his account again soon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

There's one group that won't stfu about Havana Syndrome in D&D and it sure ain't the libs

e: I mean, I totally get how it's funny.

laughing about Havana Syndrome is definitely a bipartisan thing here, ime

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BBB is toast, RIP.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Moderates want the SALT stuff, but I doubt Manchin cares. He’s going to get the bill he wants and that will be the ballgame

They're in luck then because they'll definitely get it, just in a different bill they demand it added to later

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Like when an IK becomes a mod, yeah.

I prefer to think of it as IKs being plucky beat reporters and mods being J Jonah Jameson

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BBB ain't doing any of that because it's dead dead dead, it'll be getting the healthcare "okay Bernie just dropped let's never speak of this again" treatment on the 16th when the Senate kills it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We should bring back toxxing

I think it will pass, but will be cut even more in the interim.

I'm happy for some miracle to happen but as a miserable Marxist who cares too much about this stuff despite my full knowledge that I shouldn't, I cannot think of a single reason why Manchin or Sinema would even bother to show up to kill it. They got everything they wanted in their bespoke bill they got on the promise BBB would be voted on alongside it and didn't even have to concede that. What's left...SALT? They'll just demand it in whatever the next bill that is lined up, it's retroactive now after all, and who's gonna stop them?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is there any statues in the BIF to research and develop the Havana Gun

Sorry that's exclusive to the Communism tech tree

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I definitely do "not see" how this conversation is still chugging along

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You start out in 2016 by saying, “Nazi, Nazi, Nazi.” By 2024 you can’t say “Nazi”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, Critical Race Theory, Vaccine Mandates, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, liberals get hurt worse than conservatives.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the vaccine thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nazi, Nazi.”

Sorry I couldn't help it. I feel like we're living through the inversion of the southern strategy.

We're just living through the regular southern strategy unfortunately

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

I mean what's the world for encouraging your supporters to charge and attack people at the capital because they are about to validate an election for your enemy?

Just got word back from the OAS after I asked them this and the word you're looking for is "freedomdemocracy" apparently. Funny world out there

Anyway I guess the 1/6 stuff is yet another thing that dragged on for so long with zero progress that I tuned it out, is Bannon in jail yet or whatever?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

What’s the word for supporting and rewarding the police that actively opened doors and removed gates to allow the attack to happen in the first place?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/20/house-congress-capitol-security-489792

This is also a feature of many legitimate and widely recognized coups tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Huey Long popping up would be great. Literally everybody would go insane. They'd be firmly cemented by anybody with a platform as history's greatest megaHitler supermonster within hours. Someone who really is all the most unhinged things everybody on all sides thought Bernie was. Chris Matthews sobbing inconsolably on live TV.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why hasn't there been another Huey Long, or any other flavor of leftist for that matter, to get big time national attention? I feel like economic populism would still resonate.

I know why most Democrats don't go that direction (they're not actually economic populists!) but if the message is as powerful as I'd like to think it is, surely someone would have taken it up and run with it and gotten somewhere?

FBI ain't about to let that whole thing happen again with all the tools and procedures the Cold War gave them, plus the machines are fine tuned to hamstringing and boxing out economic populism in ways they just weren't back then. If it does happen it'll probably be someone running on the Republican ticket, which is to say it'll be a huge shitstorm

Plus the whole capitalist realism thing - the left was just way stronger and bigger back then, with people proudly saying they were Actual Communists and world-level stuff that gave them hope and a vision of an alternative. Now it's just vaguely anarchist and electoralist with stuff we did 70 years ago being largely considered to be impossible today, which is a much weaker foundation to build on even before you factor in the US left's tenancy to rip apart anybody who isn't little-L libertarian

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As a patriot I will never punish someone for posting "wanker"

I mean, probably, unless doing so would be funny

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

eviltastic posted:

Wanker's Corner is an actual place in Oregon.

No post office? It is beneath my omnimalevolent gaze. It is spared by grace of god and its meager proportions

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Serious Questions about the new car regulations:

- Is changing from high-beams to low-beams really that difficult for a lot of people?

- I know nothing of this anti-DUI detection technology and Google seems to offer explanations of how it works, but I can't find any studies offhand about how accurate it actually is. Does anyone know about that tech and the accuracy rate? If it requires a warning + several additional periods of extended eye closure or unconsciousness, then isn't it going to be a little late to stop most DUI crashes?

It's not difficult at all in most cars, a lot of people just don't do it. It creates a big hazard but only for other people so they don't care because it makes driving a lot easier for them, and it's made worse still when it's on a huge SUV or truck with those 10 trillion lumen lamps

The only anti-drunk driving measure I'm aware of is the ignition interlock but it sounds like they have something else in mind, I have no idea at what stage of development such a technology is. All this stuff's gonna require chips tho so here's to hoping that whole thing is sorted out by then

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sharkie posted:

So you're saying that the nation is not doing terribly and people are delusional and wrong when they think it's bad? Right, I just want to understand what you're saying. Personally I think this is wrong, but my only evidence is my life and everyone I know. But then I guess that's what the pollsters and economists get paid the big bucks for, so they can look at this stuff objectively.

edit - I look forward to "The economy is fine now" messaging being used to build support for re-opening student loans. Then "We're all paying loans again, so things must be normal" being used as evidence that the economy must be doing better, why else would we be paying back loans again.

I don't think MP's post was vague enough to warrant this here, and also there was already one "source within the white house" type quote saying that this is already the reasoning. We'll see how it plays out but the notion that the arc of all this is to return to normal isn't a conspiracy, it's literally what everybody ran on

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've got my doubts that the PA Dem party is capable of running against their own Lt Gov even if they wanted to deep down and truly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If they're worried about inflation they should use one of their tools that destroys money in existence starting at the biggest reservoirs, imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hobbez posted:

The whole “crossing state lines” thing, while technically true, strikes me as a red herring. Kenosha is 20 minutes from where he lives. It’s not like he drove that far. He did, however, break the law by bringing the firearm

He was assaulted first. That’s why he has a right to self defense.

So you're saying he was in the act of committing a crime

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hobbez posted:

So I'll quote the most relevant section from the previous page that redeems Rittenhouse's right to self defense:

Rittenhouse is literally in the act of running away from every individual pursuing him that he ends up shooting.

That doesn't exempt him from his right to self defense.

It's more that the oft-repeated "he crosses state lines" perhaps implies traveling a very long way (hours or hundreds of miles) to a community he had no connection to when this is in fact not the case.

It "implies" crossing state lines, which as an illegal weed state denizen surrounded by legal ones I can assure you "distance" doesn't matter even a little bit unless the judge decides you don't belong in their courtroom

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Your guy is gonna walk and probably get a big settlement from the victims and/or the city, isn't that enough? Do you really need this to be something more than it obviously is, like it's actually in line with some sort of theory of justice that isn't mostly in line with the sort of enabling you'd expect after 40 years of fascist takeover of the judiciary with unquestioned and constant support from the "opposition" for whatever reason when it's the most obviously factual possible explanation?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

NYT going to bat for O'Keefe and Project Veritas
https://twitter.com/MarkMazzettiNYT/status/1458941978117386246?s=20
Its pretty vomit inducing. Going to the level of calling O'Keefe a 'coworker' and taking Veritas videos at face value as "News" and "Reporting"

I often go out of my way to remind people that the NYT exists today because Marx's writings on economics and slavery being published in the Tribune made a rich guy so mad he pumped a bunch of money into it specifically to serve as a conservative counter to what he viewed as radical rabble rousing. Everything makes a lot more sense once that corner piece is in place

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

and yeah the CPC is a non-factor in anything going forward. Sucks but it is what it is. Don't take a hostage if you aren't willing to shoot it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump was the historical low mark and he got like 72 million votes, approval ratings are deprecated. I think 2022 is a grim date looming for the Dems but not because of approval ratings specifically

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

Err, got anything on this? I mean, gently caress the NYT on general principle anymore, but I know that one of the founders (Henry Jarvis Raymond) was a pretty strongly against slavery. Not sure about the other guy, though.

I'll try to dig up the article on it I read years back through the challenge that is searching for anything about Marx with vague keywords. I don't think it was a pro-slavery situation, more of the much more common "what you propose is too extreme, sir!" type and anyway, I'd bet good money the real reason he felt personally attacked was all of Marx's other suppositions and proposals re: people of means

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, you can gently caress the Hell off with that "especially male" bullshit. Women and non-binary people are just as alienated by modern society as men if not more so.

I think they weren't saying that it's only them who suffer from this, or even suffer from it the most, but rather that historically speaking, having a big mass of disaffected young men is the #1 predictor of violent social unrest and reactionary violence

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

Oh, fair enough. Wasn't calling you out or anything—just curious since that was the first I'd heard of it.

No offense taken, I probably should've hunted it down before posting it but couldn't resist taking a shot at the NYT with one of the funnier anecdotes about the man I know

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Theres no safe kind of leftist to be online except the sensible kind that isnt at all. A lot of the people dogpiling AOC also dogpiled Lee Carter for being the mean kind of commie that will kick the hostage into the bottomless pit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've always thought President AOC was a fun thought experiment but after seeing how things shook out with Bernie and to a greater extent Corbyn, I hold no illusions as to the likelihood of an actual leftist - even a wishy washy socdem - ever becoming President outside of something like a Huey Long running on a Republican line

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

The entire “left” in America is approximately 1/2 as powerful as the QAnon movement

This is an incredible overstatement lol. Qanon is enormously well funded and has enthusiastic support at all levels of government, and lots of its members that just tried to overthrow the government are all hanging out playing cards with guards in their own wing of a prison where they are organizing and radicalizing exactly like the early Nazis

Meanwhile the "left" with any power just got forced by their nominal allies to shoot their own dog lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I'm stupid so please explain to me how forcing a doomed vote on M4A results in M4A passing.

At this point? Spite, it's dead for at least another generation. Forcing people to go on the record killing it would feel nicer than just pretending we didnt just see it tossed in a well before the cement got poured in

Nobodys got an answer to how to get that passed because it's just not gonna happen in our lifetimes now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well I know for sure that nothing I send will ever be read but that's because all my reps are absentee chuds and I'm much better served staying off their radar entirely

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Iirc he was such a gigantic rear end in a top hat to the members of his own party that he exploded any previous consensus or working relationships that might have helped get the bill passed. He tied the hostage down to the train tracks and shot them dead before the train even came ‘round the bend. Which is pretty on-brand for internet leftists tbh

It had failed for years in a row before and has failed every year since, thus vindicating him. He was tired of pretending it was still going to ever happen. It was never going to pass in a million years and they just blamed him for it even tho they voted against it, but that was going to happen anyway.

I dont fault the centrist backlash against his upsetting their little dog and pony show, what annoyed me what how much pushback and grief he got from other leftists for actually shaking things up like they claimed they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Fighting members of your own party by demanding your own bill be shoved ahead of theirs in a packed legislative queue isn't very effective because everyone thinks their own pet bill is most important or at least important enough to be considered in the negotiated order.

They all said they supported it passing, should've been the work of a minute lol. The left needs more assholes and the point of course is that he was right and the party even ran on admitting it afterwards