Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Will VA take about 24 hours to get votes counted to announce a winner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

whether by some arbitrary poverty cap based on 1950's economic data or one's desire or ability to have a child

Is this calling out the child tax credit?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

The Child Tax credit is means tested.

You do need to exist to get it yes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

So I feel like there's a big gap between the criticism given and the argument people keep arguing with.

I guess I don't get why the child tax credit gets brought up as a negative thing that is competing with the actual good things? No one is this thread disagrees more needs done and that debt should be forgiven and those without kids need help too.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The post that started this:

Lib and let die posted:

Means testing is a hell of a thing to be put through. Every time the democrats means test aid - whether by some arbitrary poverty cap based on 1950's economic data or one's desire or ability to have a child, they leave a struggling person behind. Every time the democrats leave struggling people behind, some nonzero portion of those people swear off the democrats.

The problem I had with the OP that started this was the implication that the CTC somehow cancels out the negative financial cost of having kids and that it makes people better off than single people with no kids when that isn't true. For every single person in poverty, you have a bunch of single people who also have kids in poverty too who are probably still worse off than the former single person even with the extended CTC because kids are expensive.

Yes, a UBI for everyone including kids would be ideal but calling out the CTC as a reason people won't vote for the Democrats is just a weird thing to say.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 1, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The hemming and hawing about McAuliffe potentially losing just seems divorced from reality here on the ground in VA. My mom asked me about how to vote before she left for a trip and she never votes on state level poo poo, but she wanted to make sure she punched the card for that tremendous loving turd.

Frankly, I could see your mother voting for either candidate from this post.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Wife has voted in SWVA. No Democratic signs or Democratic Reps hanging around the polling place, but a lot of Republicans. She was 136th this morning. She voted the same time of day in 2020 and she was much earlier in the numbers.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Blanding is going to be a great Governor.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1455599234741329923

It's like the Democrats are all in a marriage counseling session.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/RepJoshG/status/1455590875116023815

I don't see anything about SALT changes so maybe he is just saying he still wants it in the final bill?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Thats insane, how are they keeping the bill price at $1.8T with retroactive salt?

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1455609793889120272?t=mxLOoxo8UPrF9HBhqyR_4A&s=19

Poor Pelosi.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Appreciate the congrats.

You can always bet(literally) on the Democrats to blow it.

Did you use PredictIt?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1455972957843595277

Guess SALT is back if Sanders is on board.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Biden's handling student debt even worse than doing nothing. He's not being forced into starting repayments, that's being done at his discretion

Don't student payments fund something to do with Obamacare? I assume that's why he's restarting it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1456671672325578756

I guess Pelosi didn't actually check if she had the votes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Is this a game or does his House Boat palace have a gas leak?

What the gently caress is wrong with this dude's scrambled egg brain? :psyduck:

It makes perfect sense to him - he wants those programs to have barely any funding under his $1.5T demand so that no one even notices them or they just piss off people because of how little they do to help them. Progressives know that if they can even get these good programs started for a short time it will be a grenade ready to go off for anybody in the future that is given the choice of continuing them or letting them expire. Manchin knows that.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

You’re all being much too pessimistic. The house moderates won’t kill BBB. That would be a breach of trust that would destroy the caucus, and would stop that Jersey chucklefuck from getting his precious tax cut. The only real problem is Manchin and Sinema, and they aren’t any bigger of a problem than they were yesterday, since they’ve made perfectly clear they’d have been fine killing both bills.

It really is now Biden's job to get his agenda through the Senate, House progressives have given him enough cover the past 2 months.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Dubar posted:

Look at the victory lap dems are taking. Biden HAS gotten his agenda through the senate. The rest is just theatre to keep the left in the fold.

And it makes sense for people to not elect him again after he failed to stand up for his own platform he got elected on.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1456990905546727431

Encouraging lol

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm looking at this BBB thing and I can't seem to find the part where Biden stuffs thousands of dollars in my bank account like Trump did.

Buy a $1 million house in New York state.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The 10-year timeline for BBB is because of reconciliation. The regular order bill depends on different projects.

Most of them are finished in less than 4 years, but some of them are grants to states to support longer-term projects (like California's HSR project that isn't scheduled to be finished until 2033, but the federal money for it will be entirely dispersed by 2025).

A lot of the bill is essentially paying pack the 50 years we haven't been investing in infrastructure (it eliminates Amtrak's project and maintenance backlog, updates all of the trains to newer electric models, electrifies tracks, fixes roads/bridges/highways that haven't been maintained, upgrades airports/ports/buildings to be more modern/climate resistant/zero-emission.) So, those can start right away.

Other parts fund grants for X years or go to building X number of EV charging stations for X years.

Is 1 trillion enough to do all this enough for the average person to notice it all happening? Seems like a small amount of money for decades of no spending.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Sarcastr0 posted:

I also rent but I’m not sure Millennials aren’t buying homes these days, present company excluded:

You might be surprised that the homeownership rate among young familes is nearly the same as it was in 1994. But you shouldn’t be. It’s true that home prices have gone up a lot in the past couple of decades, but remember two things: (a) prices have truly skyrocketed only in a small handful of hot cities, and (b) mortgage interest rates have declined a lot. Back in 1994 your 30-year loan came with an interest rate of over 9 percent. Today it’s a bit over 4 percent

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/05/the-millennial-homeownership-rate-is-about-the-same-as-it-was-25-years-ago/

The problem isn't really being able to own a home, it's just the ones worth owning are mostly unaffordable for a lot of people. New construction also targets wealthier people who can drop +$350K on a house. There aren't many gems under $200K anymore in a lot of low COL areas when even just 5 years ago there was. My wife is looking at a job up in Pittsburgh where we won't really have a choice but to live in a developing suburb so she is within an acceptable commute distance and ALL of the new construction starts at $450K and can go into the $800K's. There are about 30 listings for anything under $300K. At this point I'm hoping she can negotiate enough of a salary that we can just rent for a few years and she can hop to a better job in the lower COL again, won't be owning a home for another decade at this rate.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 9, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is a Judge getting that loud in public a thing that happens much?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s apparently really bad

The prosecution seems pretty poo poo as well and hasn't prepared well.

Are they stuck in the 90's?

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Havranek/status/1458482982830940162

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
nobody wants to work anymore

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1458504362607751178

My wife's uncle was going on a few months ago about how amazingly well paid Truckers are and it's crazy that the profession has that sterotype.

Also, Biden shouldn't restart student loan payments when inflation is continuing to grow every single month and has no signs that the problems are going to get better for another year.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Prosecution asking the Judge to let them ask Kyle about his "Free as gently caress" shirt selfies he did.

Edit:

Judge doesn't think the Jury needs to see it because it doesn't have anything to do with the night lol.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 10, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1458517562107564036

Judge really gives off the look of someone who'd like Kyle.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Does Kyle still have the AR-15?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1458536994833850369

I was hoping he would hold off on signing it so that BBB could get signed along with it but lol. The CTC would've been really helpful next year.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

you are loving kidding

He said it changes the pixels.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

He can't--if Congress is in session and he doesn't sign a bill within 10 days (or veto it) it becomes law anyway.

I forgot about that, guess he has held it off for as long as he can.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
They're showing the video un-zoomed now.

Edit:

Kyle: "I can't see it."

lol.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Remember Beto's cool skateboard moves?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Biden won't address the fact that inflation is almost entirely due to a lack of truckers and there is a lack of truckers because the job sucks and pays like poo poo.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Cuomo is getting the millions of dollars he made of his pandemic book taken away from him.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/benpershing/status/1460948169928368128

NOW Manchin will vote for it. /s

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

His majesty has condescended to grant permission for legislation to be passed.

Oh he didn't say anything about voting yes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/kerryeleveld/status/1461725393954635777

Nice to hear journalists called out on them just acting like their job is to throw Republican talking points at the Dems.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Gatts posted:

I feel like Obama's whole thing was to get a seat at the table of whatever powers there are so he pretty much kept status quo/establishment and bailed them all out in order to get in the club. I think he pretty much spells it out in his book he didn't want to cause a shift in power.

All I remember from his latest book is Michelle asking him why he even wanted to be President and him having no answer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Wht the gently caress is the Nordstream 2 project?

Also, how is Ted Cruz able to put holds on anything? The GOP controls nothing in the Senate, unless there is some pants on head stupid power sharing agreement

The gas pipeline Russia is building towards western Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Old James posted:

And just another rule the Democrats could change with a simple majority vote, but won't for reasons.

Senators have huge egos and love having the ability to jam up the entire country if they decide to throw a fit by themselves.