Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

spouse posted:

I don't doubt that this is real, but like, where are these people?

I live in a very conservative county bordering a fairly liberal city, and I see some posts from people, on Facebook and news sites and nextdoor. But IRL I see no one raging on a soapbox, no one protesting outside city hall. It seems like all the belief that the election was stolen has been channeled into new bumper sticker purchases rather than actionable organization, which would lead me to presume that it's cope from salty losers rather than a sincerely held belief.

Seems kinda like all the insurrectionary energy is at the "vague crabbing on unrelated posts" stage. Maybe it's different in redder areas?

some on the left believe that the Republicans are planning to legislate the democratic process away, and others believe that many on the right are ethnofacists, in the same vein as Nazis. If they truly believed this, why wouldn't THEY take direct action?

People in this country have too much other stuff to worry about, no matter what their political beliefs may be. It's no coincidence that the largest scale protests seen in this country in decades occurred during the pandemic-induced shutdowns. That's also why we won't ever get another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Fucker posted:

Pretty good argument. Unless someone comes up with a better counter-argument, I'm gonna have to concur.

They do that anyways

Voting for leftist candidates, regardless of their chances to win is the only way to push Democrats left. Your vote is the only leverage you have. Always voting for the Democrat bc they're the lesser of two evils gives them zero reason to legislate to you

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Killer robot posted:

Oh, and while the Obamacare repeal in 2017 flubbed, the big tax cut that was the only major legislation of that year didn't pass until December.

If you want to say Biden could be doing things he isn't and that there are many good executive actions he can legally issue but has not, I'm all ears. This does not change the fact that, like many, you probably just heard more noise about what Trump was doing. Whether that's due to media, personal circles, or just how negative changes can feel sudden while positive ones drag.

from what I recall, most of those EOs were reverting Trumps EOs. Kinda uninspiring, how about signing some new, good EOs

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Dude you and me both.

I'm having a ridic back week at work and watching the incredible own goals from the Dems is going to make me punch a wall.

Like....you didn't spend ANY MONEY on the voting rights ballot props, NYS dems? you loving what

Nope. He had more non-reversal ordres than Trump as well.

You can look this stuff up you know.

Disclaimer: Again, Biden sucks. This is no way me saying that Biden isn't poo poo.

ok, of the 42 EOs signed, 21 weren't revoactions of prior orders. I stand corrected: many, not most were rollbacks of trump stuff

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

AmiYumi posted:

quick summary, it wreaks havoc on people with regular medication schedules especially the elderly (who can have severe problems from a dose being an hour early/late);

Specifically which medications or conditions? A scheduled medicine administered in a medical setting is considered on time if given within one hour before or after the ordered time, so I'd love to know more

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

AmiYumi posted:

I don’t remember the specific meds from last time I studied this, but pain management immediately springs to mind - an hour of unmanaged pain becomes a bigger problem than just giving them their dose on time, and often escalates to a need for further intervention. Don’t gently caress with medication schedules for no reason.

[Edit:] gently caress is it perfectly American that an issue is “every medical professional agrees this is an unmitigated disaster” vs “but little Brayhdeen will have to wait for the bus when it’s a little darker” and I know without a doubt which side will win

Well if it comes back to you, please post it because it doesn't match up with what I've learned or seen in practice. Pain medications shouldnt be delayed, but those prescriptions are never written with a specific time of administration. It's either "take every X-Y hours as needed", "take X times daily", or "take before X activity"--none of which would be affected by an hour time change.

The relative timing of Med administration to other activities & medications is what's important, not whether the clock reads an hour ahead from yesterday.

The rest of your points regarding DST have some evidence but the medication one is baseless as far as I know

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
didnt see this posted yet, but it's unsurprisin

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1458120817078947853

really, the most surprising part is why the progressive Dems let themselves get duped like this.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

Lots of members of that caucus aren't actually progressive.

In before "yes they are, who are you to gatekeep"

I agree, but it's still handy for identifying the group of Dems that are ostensibly somewhat left of center

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

i see the 'proud boys aren't nazis' stuff in cspam as well and i'd love to know where the rehabilitation energy is coming from, and if the proud boys themselves know they're not nazis.

People define Nazi differently, some people in this thread called Trump voters Nazis. To me, that's insane.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

papa horny michael posted:

There's been more hope recently with the news that my former congresswoman, and current Secretary of the Interior, Deb Haaland will be campaigning for the climate positions of Biden's build, back, better programs. She didn't have a ton of luck with Warren outreach to tribal groups during the primaries, but I think she'll have much more sway now pushing for acceptance of the Biden climate and green technology provisions. https://www.eenews.net/articles/haaland-makes-cop-26-pitch/

Turns out she is pure poo poo, actually:
https://www.audubon.org/news/as-oil-spill-cleanup-continues-feds-prepare-major-gulf-lease-sale

quote:

The U.S. Department of the Interior, meanwhile, is preparing to auction off oil and gas leases across 81 million acres in the Gulf, the largest such sale ever undertaken

Love to drill more oil baby!!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Like the last five times this was raised, the Biden administration is being forced to conduct the sales by a court order overturning their pause on the activity. Something communicated in the article you're linking and quoting other parts of.

Lol yes, they were really putting up a tough fight but the courts are just FORCING them, they did everything they could :rolleyes:

Even if we accept that they HAD to continue auctioning leases, wanna show me where it said they had to auction off the largest amount of land to date? Its one thing to comply with an injunction by doing the bare minimum, it's quite another to comply in such a manner so as to set a record while doing it

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The amount of land leased out is proportional to the amount of leases requested. The current round of new leases was approved in 2017 and goes to 2022 . So long as the paperwork is in order basically any lease must be granted. This isn't individual haggling, it a bureaucratic permits office. Its driven by a formula, and with a current injunction they also can't alter that without getting slapped by the court again for constructively working around an injunction. At this point its basically a huge stupid computer program. The executive order was to say the number of sales will be zero. The court said that stopping now would harm several states, and so authority to make that change must be established in court before action can be taken. Now you can read 3 judicial tacks into this, as injunctions usually signal a judge thinks a case has merits.

1. a perpetual game of kick the can where the case is thrown as moot without a judgment because oops those leases sold now, line up on the football next year charlie brown.
2. declaring that this is an appropriations issue that must be altered by congress
3. declaring that federal land leasing is a states rights issue if it could add or removes one penny of state revenue or some other wacky BS to kill federal powers.

Its very odd as an injunction because it allows permanent damage to prevent the deferral of profits, arguably the damage is financial harm that isn't irreparable. However courts have always been a bit more skeptical of Executive orders so :shrug:.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

Discendo Vox posted:

Notice the amount of effort required to refute a meaningless, repeated and continually expanding conspiracist lie about how government operates, effort that has to be expended again and again because the people repeating the lie aren’t punished or stopped. The fact that this is due to a binding court order overturning meaningful executive action has been stated over and over and over again.

Discendo Vox posted:

Because it’s contradicted by the very thing they’re posting, because they converted it into a conspiracy theory when corrected, and because the exact same conspiratorial lie has been posted and corrected several times. The effect is to derail discussion by obligating other people to respond to a lack of effort with effort, and receive further abuse in return, over and over and over again.

You might as well ask the question of why we don’t gently educate people spreading the belief that the vivid vaccine contains microchips.

Shut up and stop backseat modding you dweeb.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
VP is "president of the Senate", I feel like making her presence felt in the Senate would be a good start.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

It's starting to seem like winning with Joe Biden was worse for the future of the Democratic party than losing to Trump would have been because he's completely destroying all faith and trust in the party as an institution and as a protector of working or middle class interests, and even losing young people and PoC.

A Democrat win, period, doomed the party. The country is in the shithole, with problems everywhere, and the folks in charge are gonna take the blame

This lets the Republicans easily blame the Dems for all the problems started during—and by—the Trump admin. Short of unprecedented effective legislation, there’s no winning for the people in charge over the next couple of years.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

Everything Trump did was a win until Biden took office. If Trump had gotten another 4 years all the "issues" today would be "features" until the next Democrat took office. There is no waiting for republicans actions to blow up in their faces because it never happens. The right just learns to enjoy the burning sensation on their cheeks and announces that having your eyebrows singed off is how America is supposed to be.

Yes the republicans are generally more skilled at the politics aspect, but rising gas, housing & food prices as well as supply chain issues are material things that are hard to sweep under the rug

camoseven posted:

What the gently caress are you two going on about? Do you think all the problems with America started under Trump? Here's a non-exhaustive list of problems that are not Trump's fault that the Dems aren't fixing and don't seem to want to fix:

Student debt
Medical debt
The medical system in general
Weed crimes
Climate change

Agreed, but that’s background noise :D nobody is gonna fix any of that stuff and Americans have learned to live w it

I’m talking COVID and the economy/supply chain issues it led to, as well as the problems resulting from the huge QE patch like inflation & housing shortages. Can’t be fixed in our political framework

Somebody had to fall on that sword, and the voters would vote “the other guy” in next time, no matter what.

lil poopendorfer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 23, 2021

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

TGLT posted:

You remember when a general wanted to drop a MOAB on some random cave and Trump was like "yeah sure"? Or when he had a random airfield in Syria bombed? He wasn't an isolationist in any meaningful sense, he just wanted to privatize foreign exploitation and otherwise stick to military maneuvers that made him feel big and tough. Any Republican will probably inherit his form of "isolationism" quite comfortably.

He was the first president to not start any new wars or interventions in like 50 years, that counts for something

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
What’s the word on HR1/Voting Rights act? It passed the house in March I saw, but doesn’t seem to have passed the Senate since? I understand Republican opposition but with a dem majority in the senate, why hasn’t it been passed?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Class3KillStorm posted:

My understanding is that Senate Dems can't pass the bill as is right now, as it wouldn't meet the 60 vote threshold with all 50 Republicans holding out against it. They would need to agree to a filibuster carve out for voting rights, which is something that they COULD do, but Manchin (and Sinema? And possibly a few other quieter hold outs?) is holding fast on "no changes to filibuster status" right now, so they CAN'T pass the bill currently.

Either 10 Republicans would need to find their souls and pass the bill for the good of the country (unlikely in normal times, doubly so after the death threats leveled against the ones that voted for the BIF), or Manchin would have to change his position on the filibuster (unlikely in normal times, doubly so now that he's basically The Most Important Senator by holding to status quo in all scenarios).

thanks for the explanation. it's a headscratcher since i would assume Dems are interested in maintaining their control over Congress but they dont seem to be taking any initiative in that regard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Kind of shocked to hear you're so surprised by this tbh

I'm not, I'm deeply cynical and had my suspicions (they don't actually want to be in power or help their constituents) but there's usually some kind of positive way to spin these decisions.

even a nakedly self-interested politician wants to maintain their power, so i figured this would be a priority for the Democrats.