Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Deplatforming conservative speech shouldn't just happen on Twitter it should happen everywhere including some random pilot on a Southwest flight.

Generic criticism of elected officials (even coded) is hardly “conservative speech” or hate speech. Moving the goalposts on what those phrases mean undermines your ability to actually call them out - like applying the “Nazi” label to Romney undermined doing the same with Trump. More importantly, the end of that line of thinking results in: people critiquing DEAR LEADER are the ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Scratch a parent and a fascist bleeds.

Sometimes. My wife’s an elementary school nurse, and there’s definitely a contingent of morons who complain about masks, complain when their kid is sent home with a fever, then complain when they test positive and have to stay home for ten days. There’s also the hamster-ball overprotective parent who shows up demanding to know who the latest second grade case is, because they “just know” it was this other kid whose parent they hate, and they walked back from school together two Tuesdays ago. Lady, you know we can’t give out names, and if little Zelda qualified as a close contact, we’d tell you. Go ahead and lawyer up.

She really loves the day-to-day interaction with kids and helping to keep them healthy and safe. The idiot parents of all flavors, equally idiotic school board, and constantly changing State guidance is going to drive her out, eventually.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
NJ early voting was a snap on Sunday, got some cool voting machines too - digital screens and a window with a paper ticket that prints your choices. You can confirm the screen matches paper, then they store the paper ticket away. Cool stuff.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
He used to do this daily radio show with a long hair hippie liberal lawyer called “Curtis and Kuby”, it was pretty funny.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

VA is looking unique in which T-Mac was a beautiful loving idiot at all the right moments to weaken his own lead and weaken his own standing with suburban white moms, for literally no reason

It's that old Clinton election arrogance once again! Always hits the spot! (Can anyone explain to me why we still let any of those fucks run any election ever? The loving Labor party has more recent victories).

Does McAuliffe have a bottle of hot sauce in his purse at all times like Hillary though.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Killer robot posted:

Hillary likes to put hot sauce on her food and started carrying one of those tiny travel bottles in her purse during the 1992 campaign when she was eating on the road all the time. And stuck with it. Predictably, in 2016 everyone who believed Hillary Clinton lies about absolutely everything or that literally no white woman eats any spices made it up in their heads that it was some sort of long con to steal the Hispanic vote.

Well okay, one additional piece of the puzzle is that this information was revealed during an interview on a black radio station. Like, please, how could she have lost.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Bel Shazar posted:

Yeah, long history of the barons coming together to elect their king from amongst themselves...

Like when an IK becomes a mod, yeah.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Anyone who votes for Trump is a loving Nazi.

Including 1 out of 10 black voters and 3 out of 10 Hispanic/Asian voters?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ok I checked with the New York Times opinion section and it turns out they are all dumb women-hating macho men who are attracted to Donald Trump's raw male energy. So yes they all might as well be Nazis and we don't need to ask niggling questions like "well why did Democrats do so much better with those groups in the past"

Wow yeah I forgot that initial explanation was “machismo”.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You start out in 2016 by saying, “Nazi, Nazi, Nazi.” By 2024 you can’t say “Nazi”—that hurts you, backfires.

The left started chanting Nazi circa 1992 in my experience, which severely weakened their ability to critique Trump.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yes. Trump is a straight up wannabe dictator who overtly tried to overturn an election and seize control of the government. LOL at people getting offended at calling his active supporters anything other than what they are.

So you’ve moved the goalposts from “Trump voters” to “active supporters”, which is a much more reasonable position.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

So this group of suburban whites expresses politically-incoherent views and voted “embarrassed by the Republican in office, came home to roost at the first opportunity”, you say? Gosh, never seen that before.

That “group of suburban whites” included a black woman expressing the fear that saying the wrong thing would get her labeled a bigot. I understand why this woman represents a blind spot for leftists, but her fear is something you collectively have to figure out. It’s not a boogeyman spun out of straw.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

His story is that he went there to provide medical aid. It's obviously bullshit, because there were plenty of field medics at protests all across the country who weren't carrying assault rifles.

The medic he shot was armed.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Correctly, given that he was in fact almost murdered by a domestic terrorist

Sure - the point being that “a real medic wouldn’t arm themselves” is garbage.

Also I’m pleasantly surprised to see the number of trained mental health experts here helping us understand the “correct” way people react under stress and express grief.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Sometimes people confuse "not a D&D poster who is familiar with the range of acceptable opinions" with "a troll". I mean a panel of 12 jurors (albeit with a very biased judge) is extremely likely to come to the same conclusions you have, so clearly it's a position someone can take without being a troll.

This is a great and salient point.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Esran posted:

It seems like Republicans ignore both laws and procedural norms when they are in power, while Democrats are terribly tied down by those same procedural restrictions. The rule of law is only valuable as long as those laws produce good outcomes, and are enforced somewhat equally on everyone. If the Republicans ignores the rules when they want something done, and the Democrats refuse to punish them for rulebreaking, why does it have value that the Democrats choose to be bound by those rules, when it leads them to doing bad things?

If we're playing a game and I cheat constantly, I am clearly a bad guy for cheating, but you're a sucker if you continue to play in good faith.

This is a feel-good fig leaf to cover the fact that Republicans are just better, in some ways, at politics.

Democrats aren’t on the right side of “playing by established rules” - no one on the left was hyperventilating about a unitary Executive when Obama pushed (struck down as illegal) DACA because congress wouldn’t do what he wanted. No one bemoaned decorum when Reid went nuclear with Senate procedures. Whitewash and memory hole a sex pest President perjuring himself. Only after those precedents were effectively used against them that this revisionist history of rule-following sprang up. Republicans never got rid of the filibuster, even when they would have gained from it.

You collectively got out-cheated and it’s easier to pretend than own up to that fact.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

The mods & admins have done a good job of listening to our feedback, and building a better forum upon it.

They’re even going to comment in the feedback thread from last month and re-open it. These are the promises of people committed to change.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

skylined! posted:

It really is something that this dumb bullshit continues to be bandied around the thread by people who stopped paying attention to what happened on Jan 6th a day later. Just breathlessly excited to repeat fascist propaganda as long as it is in service of owning the libs. From tucker carlson's mouth to your keyboard without hindrance.

What you linked and what Lib and let die posted are completely different, though? Maybe the brain-to-keyboard filter needs attention elsewhere.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Stop trying to re-litigate the self-defense case

Discussing the actual details of the case is inappropriate, only calls to burn down cities are allowed.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Since discussing the reasoning behind the verdict is verboten I guess, my verdict-neutral take is that the prosecution tried some shameful bullshit. Whatever you feel about this specific case, implying that using your right not to talk to cops equates to guilt is terrible. Providing the defense with inferior versions of evidence you discovered after the trial started is terrible. They deserved to lose based on that alone.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Can you post the article link?

Yeah a modicum of googling shows this “peaceful yoga medic” also had military sniper training, was discharged for going AWOL, constantly posted “slay my political enemies” diatribes, owned a bunch of guns, and recently went to fight for a Kurdish terrorist group. He’s basically a living, breathing red flag.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

readingatwork posted:

I’m not mad, I’m just fascinated because I thought the last of the conservatives fled DnD back in the Obama years.

*Coughs politely, folds arms*

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Shageletic posted:

So making him a felon is really gonna make him a nice and normal part of society lol

Well I was just pointing out the ridiculous slant of that image posted, but “violent online rhetoric is harmless” is certainly a lesson someone can draw in 2021.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

General strikes, crippling infrastructure and transportation through occupation, and a legitimate face to the movement that diverts attention away from the rest.

The “face” of that plan will be poor people who can’t get food and medicine, can’t get gas, and can’t get to work.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
It’s all just ridiculous posturing. “I refuse to eat turkey with my racist Uncle,” I smugly type on my cell phone made from slave labor. “I’m helping!”

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Biden has be out there every day explaining things he’s doing to combat higher prices and supply chain issues, even if they’re not actually going to work.

This is how politics works - if he doesn’t speak to the problems impacting regular people, he’s toast.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Gosar and Gaetz tangle on the mat, a mass of sweaty, oiled limbs. Suddenly, a roar from the back of the crowd. A shadowy masked figure calmly climbs one of the posts, preparing to strike. The hapless combatants finally look up in unison, faces twisted in fear.

Jim Jordan launches himself.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Trump's only claim to isolationist fame is not *technically* starting any shooting wars while in office, which while being a low bar, is a bar most presidents don't pass.

But he did every other awful military thing the US loves to do, and expanded on it as much as he could.

To be fair, I’m not aware of Trump drone striking his own citizens because they were on an extrajudicial kill list, but yeah he wasn’t great either.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

That’s terrible, but completely different from “we are marking this citizen (and his children) for death because we say he’s bad”.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

So your problem with Obama was the part where he bothered to say "because I say he's bad that's why" before murdering an American citizen?

Yes? Is this a trick question? “We’re going after this base” is substantively different from “We’re sending a drone to kill this US citizen, source:trust me bro he’s bad”.

Obama created a system where citizens are put on kill lists and executed. I’ll grant that Trump never sang Amazing Grace or cried after a mass shooting, but I still think that’s important when comparing them, as someone did last page.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Smeef posted:

If he would just wear some Oakley Radars, Biden would be polling way better with jetski enthusiasts and minor league relief pitchers.

A “Salt Life” sticker on the back window of Marine One.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Trump ran the same drone program as Obama and also had the ability to, and most likely did, send drones to kill US citizen's.

Cite the later part of that statement please? Because they actually said they stopped.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Having a functioning (...non-Taliban?) Afghan state done sailed a long time ago. The withdrawal was handled alright - better handling of the refugees would have been real real good.

I sort-of buy the argument that Afghanistan couldn’t reasonably have been handled better, but Biden turned it into a massive own-goal by promising no “Saigon moments”. Either he was monumentally wrong or blowing smoke.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

skylined! posted:

Frankly not sure what your point is here. Yes, blasting an American citizen crossed a line legally

That actually is my point. I was responding to some who said that Trump did every bad thing Obama did and went on to expand on it. That’s not true.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

What reason, exactly, do we have to trust Trump on this, a man who is a habitual liar? The same Trump that revoked transparency on not only our Nuclear weapons, but Drone Strikes in general? The same guy who basically tried to execute a coup because he didn't get his way? That guy? Literally surrounded himself with other outright liars that would make a career politician blush?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47480207

Bro I asked for a citation for a claim, no one could provide one, then the OP more or less backed off. It’s fine.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

If it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, hangs out with other ducks, I don't think we need to have a conversation about why it might be a duck.

No need to have a discussion when a trite thought-terminating cliche on the business end of a probestick wins you the argument.

It’s not like these narratives have been wrong or misplaced in the past (ie Pulse).

Just a fantastic job.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

...what's that? Why did the Target get burned down? I don't remember. I'm thinking about the pain of all those rawhide dog chews and 2-liter sodas, you understand. All that stuff, all those consumer goods, just... burned. It's a senseless tragedy and I don't understand why anyone would do it. I guess these people are animals after all just like Uncle Antbed says.

Oh God, what if the Target just received a shipment of goods?!? >breaks into weeping< THE STUFF! WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT THAT STUFF!?

Haha, awesome! Now do one for people’s homes and apartments also burned down in the Kenosha protests. Like “GOOD THING I GOT RENTERS INSURANCE AFTER ALL”

Cow Bell posted:

Why are we in a competition to determine which tragic shooting was worse

Don’t worries, mods will tell us which facts are allowed to be discussed. Facts they don’t like? Heh….

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Please stop loving defending militia vigilantes.

Please read the post I was replying to? Real people were also harmed in the violence, not just faceless corporations, that’s not a defense of vigilantism. Take your own advice and respond to the point actually being made - every post that doesn’t 100% fit your worldview isn’t “stanning for Rittenhouse” or whatever, this is a discussion.

Wang Commander posted:

I don't think any were

You’re wrong, just wiki it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

I can't find anything confirmed

It’s right there on the wiki page with multiple citations

quote:

Other buildings set on fire included a furniture store, residential apartments and several homes.

quote:

but they're almost certainly illegitimate settler-colonist homes anyway so eh

Hahah, great point.