Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zeron posted:

That's hopeful news. Turnout isn't necessarily always a sure winner for Dems considering the last election showed there was still untapped potential on the R side, but in this case it's probably going to lean D.

Only if you can activate the usually Never Voter Ner'do'Wells like Trump does.

And no other Republican has proven up to the task of doing that so far, and as much the right wing has coalesced around their new dumb idiot bullshit no one with a functioning brain should actually care about like :siren: CRITICAL RACE THEORY :siren:, none of them have the galaxybrain GodEmperor reverse Charisma Trump has to them.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Any-who I’m just checking in for old time sake since I’ve completely ignored campaigns since sanders got shellacked.

My hot take is that T-Mac losing is entirely due to the two spending bills not getting fuckin done before the election.

Didn't he campaign to the right of the Infrastructure bill? Brilliant plan on that one :thumbsup:

Is he the last of the remaining Third Way Clintonites, or are there more liches from that cursed political cabal wandering about?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Derpies posted:

Lol you think at this point the Dems would stop running Clintonites with no charisma but they learn nothing

That would require having a viable canidate below 50

No way the Liche Lords, who continue to grasp to power until they are dust, who are in charge of the party would allow that

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Don't run to the Right of your own party's messaging and iniatives fuckface

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

There seems to be a pattern starting from 2012 of Third Way democrats running terrible campaigns, being extremely arrogant, and losing hilariously and to devestating effect

Gosh I don't know what the common thread could possibly be :thunk:

Real puzzler

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That comment about parents shouldn't have say over education loving killed him

I mean he's right honestly but gently caress, white suburban parents are the most insane psycho people to have you in their cross hairs.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gen X parents are just as loving bad (if not worse) than their own parents when it comes to being conservative dipshits. I actually find them more insufferable than boomer parents because Gen X try the "Apathy makes me cool and a rebel" fake as gently caress poo poo, while screaming about how young Reagan shouldn't have to read the Joy Luck Club

I don't know the data on millenial parents but lol like we can have kids

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

etalian posted:

I'm glad that Obama's super star influence was able to win another GOP victory.

I think this is yet another Clintonite fumble at the In-zone than a Thanks Obama tbh

Is the state really flipping that hard? Or is it just Terry?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hellblazer187 posted:

Man good thing all those boomers were new deal democrats forever.

^

Also aren't millenials and Gen Z overwelmingly liberal? If we could ever take the reins of power from the Liches we could could get poo poo done, but :shrug:

God this pattern of "Old Third Way liberalism snuffs out young leftists and allows idiotic Reactionaries to seize power" keeps playing out throughout the Western world lately

What's a safe state to move to if poo poo hits the fan? I live in MI, I assume Washington is most likely to balkanize with California if it came down to it right?

Because I don't want to live in the GOP's hellhole version of American Brexit

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheAgent posted:

lol there would be no place safe on earth if America entered another Civil War, don't even give it any thought

Too be clear, I don't think the country is headed for outright civil war, but I do see Blue states and red ststes becoming increasingly divided and just drifting away policy wise on their own.

In that case my wife and I are simply looking to live in a state less lovely than Michigan should it turn red, and I was hoping for suggestions

I also think Trump will die of Health complications long before 2024 tbh: dude had COVID and he was already a big unhealthy gently caress with a dying brain

I think the FYGM hellhole comment is apt: American Gen X and the Boomers see no issue with burning the ladders that helped them ascend, and until Millenials decide to stop loving being a serf class and vote en masse with Gen Z our political affiliation means dick

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Silver linings here: even with a terrible bland third wayer the GOP barely won with a pretty publicly moderate guy who got a margin of Karens upset over Beloved

I think with a better candidate it's easily a reversal. T-Mac seemed to be making some pretty awful mistakes.

Also if Dems ACTUALLY HAD POLICY ACCOMPLISHMENTS by the end of the year and some real good executive orders we will be okay for 2022.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i mean we're posting in the virginia election thread, and the results of this election would seem to indicate that the leftist message may be getting dogged by the woke. the Macker is DC Centrist Brain Worm Prime, literally his entire career has just been being moneybags for the party, and he just got hosed by the woke-in-school thing despite the best efforts of the party. i dont think leftists are losing because of secret evil machine politics, i think we may be losing because our message turns to dogshit when it's combined with stupid woke tricks:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1455709644324749312?s=21

T-Mac got killed by the Mom Karen vote lol

The Karen be a Harsh Fickle Mistress Arrr

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I don't know why anyone is trying to read Tea leaves on an election where a uniquely terrible candidate lost closely in a purple state.

Like that education gaff pissed off every Harrier Mom in the suburbs- loving idiot couldn't have given a better opening to Youngkin if he bared his chest and put a sticky note on that said "insert sword here"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

turns out the material interest of white women in virginia is "don't shove that poo poo down my kid's throat, thanks." mcauliffe ran hard on abortion rights and paid leave and still lost hard because woke poo poo really is that repulsive to voters, but a bunch of white college kids have the party in thrall, so expect the dems to keep slamming their dick in a car door over issues that shouldn't be in front of voters in the first place

Ah yes, it's the Progressives who are at fault, not the dipshit centrists holding up infrastructure bills or the dipshit third wayer who ran to to the right of Biden on spending (lol why) and then put a target on his back for every mom in Virginia

You've really cracked that loving code, bravo

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/EthanBWinter/status/1455726418948722692?s=20

Yikes. That's pretty bad if not even state level climate measures are able to win

Maine is such a wierd loving state to gage for any political action. It's like the wierd sibling of New England the way they vote sometimes

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dave Wasserman currently saying VA has a tied house?

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455734418350514177?s=20

So that's uh, something?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

Oh wow. They seemed like they were going to get to 51 for sure. There's NO provisions for control in the event of a tie? I assume the Speaker breaks the tie, but if you can't elect a Speaker because there is a tie then, like, what the hell do you do?

...Power sharing agreement?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

America is so incredibly partisan right now, "moderates" have no place in the current system. We are way way past decorum. Democrats absolutely have to get rid of anchors like Sinema, Manchin, etc etc or this race in Virginia will be repeated.

My state, Michigan, votes for Governor next year. If Whitmer wants to win, she cannot coast on "Remember when Trump refused to call me by my name."

Trying to work with Republicans is a fools errand .

The problem is Whitmer got utterly loving clipped by our fuckwad GOP State Supreme Court last year, and COVID numbers shooting through the roof right now because the state government literally can't do poo poo, despite the lockdown being a massive success in making Michigan initially have some of the lowest numbers in the country.

Our loving Chud GOP Legislature rather kill their own constituents so they can blame Whitmer though.

I really wish the West coast of Michigan was a seperate state. Take Macomb county while you are at it: we don't want it

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

Neither state has been called for the GOP yet so there's still hope, for all those who are stressed about it.

Lmao if T-Mac ekes out the weakest victory ever

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Flopsy posted:

....what?

I mean it still hasn't been called and apparently there's some missing mail in ballots/ data, anything is possible, but that lead seems rough to get over

Lmao if Dave Wasserman was wrong though: would make my night for the polling boys to be wrongo again

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Michigan is wild. It's conservative everywhere but the big cities. The West of Michigan, and the very north. . .Just crazy. Like cities are little fiefdoms with their own politics. Segregation.

With how many "pure moron" signs about Whitmer I see in the suburbs, I don't know how good of a chance she has if she's not taking notes about Virginia tonight.

People can vote for whomever they want, thank you!

Western Michigan is DeVos bought and payed for Psycho Prosperity Gospel Hell, but a lot of Northern Michigan and the UP is gettable if anyone in our party remotely gave a gently caress about them and their crippling poverty up there. Like just going to visit them on the campaign trail would send a nice message, rather than visiting "Redder than Trump's rear end" Macomb for the 50th loving time to no avail.

Like a lot of the Northerners just don't know about issues, need their guns up there to actually hunt and survive in the wilderness, and their only exposure is the rich conservative fucks who own lake Cabins/ mansions who spread COVID to them like crazy during the summers.

My heart goes out to the forgotten Yoopers :smith:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

Poll average said that Murphy would win by 8, and the tweet box is currently saying he's on track to win by 5-6. His peak a month ago was 11, granted, but underperforming by 2-3 isn't that big an embarrassment, especially since NJ hasn't re-elected an incumbent Dem since the 70s.

Still, it is certainly proof that dissatisfied swayable sent a message to the Democrats at large today, which is that they're dissatisfied. The Nazi Squad also sent a message that the hope they'll not show up when their Fuhrer isn't on the ballot may not be holding as well as hoped.

Eh

I think Dem turnout dropped due to loving stasis on the bills, the undecideds saw Dems weren't doing poo poo and split for the GOP, and the GOP got some better turnout than expected by going after the CRT boogieman.

I hate saying this, but the Karen Mom vote is going to be an issue in the suburbs going foward if you get another Gaffe machine like T-Mac, and possibly in general. The GOP has gone back to the old reactionary standard "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" which is cat nip for domineering parents.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Choose your own Adventure Game:

You are Terry Mcauliffe , once and future Governor of Virginia. You see the polls tightening in the last few weeks due to your relative inaction.

You can:

Mobilize your grassroots campaign and get the vote out, talk about issues you genuinely think voters will go for

Double down on alienating the white suburban parent vote, say that your own party's President is spending too much money, do nothing but compare your opponent to a guy who isn't even running and had been banned from the Internet

Choose wisely

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Youth Decay posted:

There remains a non-zero chance that we have a Dem Lt Gov/AG with a GOP Gov, as they are both getting more votes than McAuliffe, which combined with a tied house would be the funniest outcome from a sickos perspective.

The funniest outcome ever is Youngkin beating T-Mac only to be immediately replaced by his Lt. Governor when he inevitably Does a horrible Racism/ Rape/Pedophile scandal as GOP are wont to do, while the VA house holds dem by 1 seat.

:yeshaha:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nix Panicus posted:

I choose C: Run a flurry of ads indistinguishable from republican campaign material showing Youngkin has Trump's full support, confident this will not boost my opponent's performance with lower education whites, one of Trump's core demographics. Then I sit back and have another drink, because I am a genius.

"Only a genius like me, Terry Big Brain could have come up with this! What a naughty Caprice!"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Majorian posted:

This is certainly true, and it's telling how much the consultant/professional Dem class is already clamoring to punch left over it.

https://twitter.com/whignewtons/status/1455716594445848578

They know that if you think about this race for more than a second, the gravy train's over for them.

I certainly want to hear what Future Fox News Analyst, Sara Mcrich Fig Newton has to say. Really has her finger on the pulse of political discourse :hmmyes:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Woke stuff is voter kryptonite. A lot of The Macker's platform really was issues that matter to voters and were widely popular (paid leave!) but he had about the worst answers possible to the CRT debacle, and what we're seeing in the exit polls shows that it was likely this issue that killed him more than anything else, although he was already an extremely lameo centrist candidate running under challenging national circumstances.

The sharp shift against him in Loudon County is especially notable because their school district spent $400k on grifty "equity consulting" in 2019 and conservatives had a field day with it.

Dem candidates need to have a really good answer to the charge of "you're trying to stuff woke crap down our kids' throats" given that there is a real, live movement to teach The 1619 Project and White Fragility in public schools – it's not some fake moral panic. An easy one is "we also don't want ideology taught in schools, just teach historical fact and critical thinking skills and let kids make up their minds for themselves" which is in fact how education has worked in the best public schools in the U.S. for decades, and the most reliable way to make kids progressive.

The problem is that this is unacceptable –racist, even! – to a mostly white, elite subset of the left with controlling influence over the party and the nominal left-of-center's institutions. And that means no matter how hard you try to sell progressive economic and social policy, you will be forced to slam your political dick in this car door, and it's going to hurt you electorally.

So you seem to be real obsessed with this woke elite white dem cabal" that exists entirely on Twitter and in your head rent-free: they don't exist my dude. They don't have ANY power in the modern Democratic party, they are not listened to by anybody influental. Honestly some of your rants about woke culture seem pretty Tim Pooley. Also you seem obsessed with this dick in car door analogy, which makes me wonder who hurt you :ohdear:

Anywho, There is no political power base of rich leftist white college kids in the Democratic Party, it's run entirely by moderate Business Liches, what the gently caress are you smoking, because it's some good poo poo.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Judakel posted:

Wasn't White Fragility largely about how the services the author provides will be crucial in fighting racism, and that folks will always be racist so it is a constant fight?

Yeah she sold that poo poo to Coca Cola, because she "consults" to the tune of millions to make companies less racist, but you always need her! :smug:

She's a grifter

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, yeah, but most non-fiction books turn into sales pitches by the end. I could choke a rhino with grifting non-fiction books that have a few good bits in them but are mostly salespitch poo poo which my school purchased and gave to me as training materials, why not one about race relations instead of classroom management techniques designed for rich private school kids? The early chapters have some really good stuff in them though. Not that I've used it in my class, I was never able to really come up with any good ideas for it, but that doesn't mean nobody could.

Maybe this isn't the same author/ consultant as the Coca Cola one: I only heard the rant about it from a chud once tbh

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That dude is claiming that a.cabal of white rich college leftists run the Democratic party, and all I can say is I'm not sure what planet they are on, but it definitely ain't ours.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shifty Pony posted:

It is difficult to overstate just how much it has sucked to be a parent in the pandemic.

There's not a real fundamental reason why they would necessarily go Republican, but people are rightfully demanding quick results because they are hurting now. The Democratic establishment hasn't been able to articulate a vision, much less a credible plan to do anything. The best they've come up with is remote learning and "following the science" but they disappeared in a puff of smoke whenever anyone points out that remote learning sucks rear end as implemented by most schools or asks "ok but how about the wages I lose because I have to be at home during the school day, or job protections so I don't get fired when my kid has to quarantine?"

COVID might be ebbing now but the ripple effects are going to stick around for a long time. The danger is that these suburban parents join up with groups that claim to be organized around COVID concerns only to get pipelined into whatever social panic the gop decides to push next (trans kids, CRT, etc) which is argue is already happening.

People got to stop saying this poo poo. COVID is not ebbing: Republican and FYGM dipshittery, along with anti-vaxxer nonsense is going to keep this poo poo going. Numbers keep going up in many states. They actively spread it because it hurts Biden, because they are death cultists.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think this is pretty key. This is the same dynamic affecting BLM and "defund the police" and immigration and the Dems apparently have no competence in fighting this phenomenon.

That's because that's all Third Way Dems do: tacitly agree with Republicans and push status quo, while saying some platitudes to poo poo a corporate grifter made up

The Dem messaging is done almost done entirely by a marketing team made up of consultants that is massively incompetent and been politically irrelavant since 2008. All they know how to do is cede ground

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Stay the course"

"But sir we hit the Iceberg and we are taking on water!"

"Stay.the. Course"

loving lmao I am so done with politics, the Democrats are a waste and a joke

Gee sure would be interesting if the supposedly progressive party commented or reached out to all the people participating in strikes/ the Great Resignation right now

Might mobilize votes? The Thinkery :thunk:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Genuinely didn't know that! What shore would they have made it to? Weren't they out in the Northern Atlantic towards Greenland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Harold Fjord posted:

They don't entirely want Trump, but the spooky spectre of Communism haunts them from the left and they will inevitably drift back and forth.

The everpresent issue is that the majority aging electorate just want to go back to normalcy before Trump and COVID.

They want barbecues with their embarassed Republican friends, they want their grandchildren and children who refused to talk to them for 4 years to visit them again, they want to do whatever they want and sail their boat. They think Trump is the aberration. With him gone, they can go back to punching that ticket for their Republican golf buddy without fear. Politics are something they politely argue with friends over, like sports, because they feel it doesn't affect them.

The US is a very wierd place historically where one of the biggest divides socially is generational. Boomers and Gen X want status quo and normalcy with a tinge of the ole American fascism, Millenials and Zoomers are their eternal serfs Singing the Song of Angry Men. And we don't have the voting bloc numbers on our side for turnout despite being the bigger bloc as a whole, soooo here we are