Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I hate to interrupt the Switch thread at its... most interesting, but-

:siren:PICROSS S7:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zLN8IaCNFM

e Series style touch control support!!

NA - January 10th
Europe/AU/NZ - December 27th

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Personally hoping for a release date for Card Shark and maybe Fall Guys. Other than that, I have zero expectations.

We're not going to see Silksong*.

*Explicitly posted in the hopes that by saying it, we will see something of Silksong.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Oink games are good, but I think they're maybe the last tabletop games that need a digital adaptation? I dunno man.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Meanwhile on the Japanese Direct: some FMV game, a life sim with RPG elements called Loop 8, and Voice of Cards is getting a sequel.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do the non-journey modes have songs that aren't present in the journey mode (or whatever it's called)?

I've mostly been doing that one 'cause it's a lot of Tetris, but I'd be more inclined to press some of those other buttons if it meant different audio/visuals.

Yeah, anything that isn't Marathon or the Playlists in the Effect Mode have their own music.

A lot of the variants are interesting in their own right and train different skills, so you should check them out! I made the mistake of basically ignoring Effect Mode when I first played TE back on the PS4, and now it's most of my playtime. My personal favorites are Master and Purify.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

There's a Tetris99 badge that requires you to reach the top ten three times with the following conditions:

1) no Tetris line clears
2) no T-spins
3) no hold queue

It's driving me insane but I can't stop trying to do it. The closest I've gotten is top 50.

https://harddrop.com/wiki/Combo_Setups

These setups are a bit difficult without Hold, but should give you some decent attack power while ensuring you don't Tetris.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The pack is out in Japan and the music rips have begun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PqzNCiVvUE

:sickos:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
https://twitter.com/miexriir/status/1481289646067879943

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
It's not for everyone, but goddamn is Triangle Strategy really good. It's a pleasant surprise because I quit the first demo early because it sucked so much rear end. It's an early contender for GOTY for me (probably to be unseated when I get around to Elden Ring and/or Splatoon 3, but hey, what can you do). The backlog beckons, but I'm going in for New Game+. I can count the number of games I've done a New Game+ with on a single hand. This is my hole. It was made for me.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Neon White feels very good to play so far, and has gyro aim. Don't sleep on this.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Silegna posted:

I'm looking forward to playing it on a console that won't try to kill itself to run it.

I have some bad news.

(Unless they're optimized for Switch, which, hopefully they will be)

Edit: Speaking of which, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much better AI: Nirvana Initiative runs when compared to AI: Somnium. Clearly they realized what didn't work in the original and fixed up or trimmed whatever was causing those huge load times on the pop-ups during conversations.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 28, 2022

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Morter posted:

I have no real care for fighting games but I loved Pocket Fighter as a wee lad. Someone stop me from dropping :20bux::20bux: on Capcom Fighting Collection for just that alone. :negative:

It's also coming to Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium in late July and can be had for a few monies ala carte, so long as you only want local play and don't care about all the bells and whistles*.

*I have no idea if the Fighting Collection has online play or what those extra bells and/or whistles entail.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 29, 2022

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Better because it probably doesn't require a small county's yearly power consumption just to maintain.

Also Korone is cool and good. Cooler and gooder than Sonic, in fact.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Nyoro posted:

The switch sucks rear end and I love it

:yeah:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
https://mobile.twitter.com/avovet3d/status/1565901130474741760

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

cum jabbar posted:

I've been trying to finish Xenoblade 1 for like a decade
Same, but after three false starts I finally got the momentum I needed to finish it last week. Not only did I finish it but I maxed out all the affinities and rebuilt Colony 6 and all the sidequests aside from some superboss stuff (unless you hate your free time don’t do this). It trivialized the last quarter of the story content, but it was still a good time. I feel like I got my revenge on this game since trying to play it on and off since the Wii era.

Now to see if I’m enough of a glutton for punishment to play through 2 instead of going straight to 3

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

EvilJoven posted:

It's me I'm the inkling running around with a sub optimal build because it makes me look like a member of the Sex Pistols.

Sex Dualies

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
She was so close :( At least she got to participate in the Splatoon 3 Splatfest World Premiere

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Weapon durability in Zelda is good. Weapon/tool durability in Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing is bad. I’m glad we sorted that out.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
#WiglettWednesday

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Quantum of Phallus posted:

in fairness they supported it with years of updates

You mean they released an unfinished virus, more like. :smug:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
https://twitter.com/willfulchaos/status/1578124728681857044?s=20&t=H8rteGog_UQGFMHNMe6Dpw

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Inzombiac posted:

We are less than three weeks two months away from the release of the only game that matters (Harvestella Akai Katana).

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Luigi’s Mansion 3 question: I’m pretty early in the game, first five floors with Gooigi unlocked and Boos findable. Without any spoilers, do I have all the abilities unlocked?

I ask because I have the brain worms that make me want to get all the gems on each floor but I don’t want to bash my face against puzzles I don’t have the tools to solve (like the water/fire/ice ability from 1, for example) where the game intends for me to come back later when I have the right tools. Thanks!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

beer gas canister posted:

The only important new indie game on the Switch right now is Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I currently need a Switch game to try. Can someone go to https://www.bccls.org/ and find a game that's available (I can have it sent to my local library) and recommend it? TIA.

Let’s see, just from a quick browse:

Triangle Strategy
Splatoon 3
Monster Hunter Rise
Pocky & Rocky Reshrined
Live A Live
Atari 50 (if you’re at all interested in game history)
13 Sentinels
Subnautica
Shin Megami Tensei V
Metroid Dread
Disco Elysium
AI: The Somnium Files

I didn’t realize your library system basically has all the games going into this.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

beer gas canister posted:

delete it and play crimzon clover instead

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I think the Switch and the Steam Deck are both cool and good, and video games are wonderful. :shobon:

I like how thin svelte the Switch feels after I’ve been playing the Deck for a while, and how for a while there the air coming out of the Deck’s fan smelled like an office supply store.

They need to hurry up and make a dang Flip-Grip for the OLED. Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Booky posted:

music in video games are p cool
Makes me wonder how much longer it’s going to be before Nintendo modernizes their approach to soundtrack distribution. Pretty much every other major developer puts their stuff up on streaming services, which is both convenient and makes them a little more money.

Nintendo could make a mint with how many fans their are of their games and music, with proper stewardship. That’s not even taking into account if they did limited release collector’s items like vinyls and such.

Their typically conservative approach means I have to go to YouTube to find most of anything if I just want to stream it, and they continue to DMCA stuff at random without providing any alternative. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

DC Murderverse posted:

I remember hearing speculation once that the reason Nintendo doesn’t do soundtrack releases in the US is because of how music licensing works here vs. Japan. This article is a good breakdown of what people assume is going on with that, which means that it’s unlikely they’ll ever do releases. So the answer is either import (I have a CD copy of the BotW soundtrack from Japan, it’s pretty dope) or… well you know, peg leg and parrot up.

Fascinating, thank you for sharing! I would have guessed it had something to do with copyright law, but I had no idea it could all be tied back to the history of player pianos and remixes.

I’ve imported some of the soundtracks that I love most, but it’s a bummer they’re not domestically available on music services.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

nom epique posted:

Steam deck is the android to the switches IPhone.

More apt than you know. I have both and love them for what they are but the Switch definitely “just works” more often than the Steam Deck, especially in regards to docking and getting various controllers and gadgets to connect to it.

Clearly the Deck is more powerful and adaptable but the whole process is less slick than the Switch.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- the option to no longer see anything associated with games you've already bought.
Also, and just as importantly, the ability to hide games you know you’ll never buy, like so many shovelware.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ads for the Mar10 sale say wave 1 sale ends 3/23/23. I guess there's another sale coming?

Probably another sale around the release of the movie I would guess.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kinda sad the GBA version of Super Mario Bros 3 couldn't manage to pipe out the rumble function to the Switch controllers. I assume it's cause it's masquerading as a GBA so no output to be had from it or something.

It’s there OP you just need to turn it on.

Hoping this means we get Pokémon Pinball, Drill Dozer, or even WarioWare Twisted (aka the best WarioWare game)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Upsidads posted:

Was it GOTY too what came out then?

We love Katamari, RE4, and Dragon Quest 8 all came out the same year (2005) so I’m gonna go with no

still the best WarioWare tho

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Morpheus posted:

Actually it came out in 2007.

Wait, scratch that, I goofed it came out in 2011.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

nom epique posted:

First time copping from the e shop and it downloaded in less than ten mins too

how does your GameStop Guy feel about this naked betrayal

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

precision posted:

How did AI 2 end up being anyway?
It’s a good time with the caveats someone mentioned above.

Notable for the Switch thread, AI2 performs markedly better than the first game on Switch; they optimized it much better with such lessons learned as “hey maybe don’t use six seconds to pull up a full-poly model of the person we’re mentioning in passing conversation”.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Mainwaring posted:

I'm also disappointed that it seems increasingly obvious that the online multiplayer will be hugely limited.

I really hope it will have some form of ranked ladder but fully expect it to be completely random matchmaking (no ELO, nothing at all) with no punishment for disconnection whatsoever.

Also it badly needs to have a “play-by-mail” type option for online games but I’m not counting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Willo567 posted:

Super deep cut collection coming to the Switch
https://twitter.com/turfmasta/status/1646184206144290816

This is mondo-cool. Wish it had 3 with its loot progression stuff but this is still so great!