Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Sea of Stars looks real nice, Omori looks cool but I don't know if I'm in the mood for a game with heavy themes. Also I thought chicory was already out on switch so I'm a little confused by that announcement.

Edit: Reading the live chat was fun just to see how many idiots showed up just to spam Silksong complaints every time a new game showed up and complain that the switch has no games, jeeeesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wasn't dig 1 initially released as a dsi downloadable title, one of the first?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't want it. Don't like roguelikes, looks tedious.

I mean, fair, I don't like roguelikes either, but played the hell out of Hades. My gf, who never plays top-down action games, absolutely demolished the game.

What don't you like about roguelikes?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Huxley posted:

I finished up Picross S2 and was ready for S3, but was hesitant about the color since I'm crazy colorblind. But I saw S4 had a high-contrast mode.

And it's great!

Here's a regular puzzle, the same puzzle in high contrast, and the completed puzzle back in regular mode.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1475658332685815811?t=zG7xwRQcB96r_AD9GobS6Q&s=19

I'm not colorblind and I prefer high contrast mode. Makes things easier to parse at a glance, and makes the resulting picture more of a surprise when it's revealed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I want to get an OLED to replace my launch switch that makes a whirring noise for the first five minutes after I turn it on (or whenever I turn it sideways) but ugh can't justify that money. Wish places would still let you trade in your old model to get the new one for $150 or whatever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

American McGay posted:

You can sell your launch Switch on eBay for $300. Trading it in for $150 credit would be theft.

Oh, no this would be trading it in the get the new OLED for $150, typically listed at $450 CAD. So, a discount of 300 bucks

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Gross.

I keep buying games and then sinking another 100 hours in to Warframe.

Same, though honestly this last Prime Resurgence event has really burned me out on the game so I've been getting in a lot of other gaming lately.

To that end, I see Eastward is on sale (for like only 10 percent off but still) and I've been eyeing it, any thoughts on it? I love the Earthbound aesthetic, though i understand it plays nothing like it, but if it's a good game then I'm interested.

The other possibility is SMTV, but that's like twice the price and I'm worried I'll get burned out on SMT gameplay, after recently getting Persona Q2

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

pixaal posted:

Your left out that the main cast were adopted by them but forgot that they were all raised together by the headmaster and his evil wife because their source of power steals their memories. That plot is a mess.

Also the evil wife is from the future? Or there's a ghost that possesses the wife, that ghost is from the future.

I refuse to spoiler this.

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, Persona Q plays nothing like SMT 5. Persona Q plays very little like Persona, even, it's an Etrian Odyssey game with a Persona coat of paint.

True but there's only so many games in a row that I can deal with casting bufu/agi/etc to exploit weaknesses and get bonus turns/attacks while fusing demons/personas to get me the next of that arcana and get stronger.

Like, yeah the dungeon traversal is very different but the core gameplay isn't really. The importance of having the right composition of persona in your party is lessened somewhat in Q2 but it's still there, especially choosing the right party members.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 7, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Basically all I remember about playing most of the way through FF8 years ago is the part I got up to was some nonsense about time compression. Also there was a card game that I didn't like much.

Triple Triad is a treasure and I will not hear some uncultured swine besmirch its name.

Except the Random rule, that can go gently caress itself.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ragequit posted:

I hated to see it shake out that way, but the above is all true. Absolutely loved the art style though.

Well, darn. Shame cause I absolutely love the aesthetic of the game. Maybe I'll get it if it dips to 15 bucks CAD or so.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Bug Fables is good and fun, right? I enjoyed Thousand Year Door and this game looks to be more of that, eh?

I liked it but only once I felt like my team was getting stronger. For a significant stretch in the beginning it just feels like you hit an instant plateau of strength - basically you use up your special attacks and are left with little else to do. Once you get advances in power and ways to recover mp, things start to feel a lot more fun. At least for me.

Honestly though the game is still pretty good with fun characters, story, and a combat system that isn't too crunchy, but still makes you think.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I threw the brick through your window, did you not check the note attached?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I can't believe they gave Mario Kirby a loving gun

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Any game that people describe as 'the real game doesn't even start until you hit max level' is a bad game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

When I die and am buried with all my games, a lucky tomb raider will be able to find my stash of games (and almost certainly be cursed by my vengeful spirit but that's unrelated). That's why I buy physical.

Or, you know, did buy physical before this loving pandemic made going outside a trial.

Though on PlayStation I share my digital library with a friend so it's easier to share games that way.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hey man, my Wii U broke and I bought a used one. Let me borrow your digital copy of the game that's not on the eShop anymore.

Oh, I can lend you the physical copy. Oh wait, sorry I lost the disc in the last move. Here's the box though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Okay, yeah, if you're brain damaged you can have a company babysit your games for you and decide when you can play them.

You're the one who broke your Wii u

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Ah, the "physical vs digital" stage of the cycle of the Switch Thread. Where we all engage in the practice of telling one another that the other party is full of dumb stupid doo-doo heads because they bought the right game the wrong way.

Honestly people that think one way is inherently better than another are the only dummies here, both have benefits and downsides. I had GBA games that were rendered unplayable because of failing batteries causing saves to never work, for example. Buying digitally doesn't contribute as much to the production of plastic and non-decomposables. It also means being beholden to storsge devices or whims of digital storefronts. Buying physically means having a copy that you can use later. Buying physically also means potentially losing or breaking the thing - my copy of FF Theatrythm 2 flew out of my DS when it fell out of my pocket while running for the bus and there went my saves and my money - went on sale digitally later though!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I don't mind getting guided a bit. Like yeah you cant initially go back in some places but you get ways around the blockages before long.

Like, the worst part of goty Hollow Knight was getting a power and having to wander the entire map to find out where you're supposed to go. Wasted so much time doing that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh cool!

*Nintendo Online*

Oh, never mind.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

b_d posted:

did you think it would be free or something?

Why would you even think this, no I thought it was a rerelease that I'd be able to purchase, not subscribe to an overpriced service for.

I find it weird making a trailer for an old game that's just being released on a subscription service.

Inzombiac posted:

You don't have to post. It's okay.

Buddy, none of us have to post.

Also I forgot briefly about that Nintendo online premium or whatever it's called.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

Was there an obvious move on here that didn't involve deduction?

I worked out the 3 on the 1 3 row had to end there as otherwise it lead to there being a 2 in column 8. But that always feels wrong to have to be doing that level of deduction. Also I rarely find them!

Picross S7 puzzle 58.

Also something small I've been checking in puzzles recently, that doesn't always add up to much but has helped: the 4 in the first column cant be in the first available row you have there (the 1 1) since if it was, then the next column would have
X
O
X

Which goes against the clue of the 2...if that makes sense.

The greatest level of deduction I ever perform is 'if I put something here will anything be hosed up immediately' which seems to be enough, at least for all the puzzles I've gone through in S4 (all up the the last ten puzzles or so)

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 23, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've been trying to go through older game purchases that I never beat so I went back in my catalogue and re-started Battle Chef Brigade after buying it in uhh 2018 and it was actually a really fun puzzle game. The gameplay is simple, you have to hunt monster for parts that you cook in a match 3 style minigame, using abilities and equipment to add modifiers to make things easier or trigger types of combos. Each round is focused on meeting the judge criteria (they want certain "flavors" to be highlighted) and using the challenge item (a specific food type, usually a monster but sometimes a fruit or vegetable) to score higher than your challenger. I enjoyed my 15 or so hours with it and there's online and challenge modes for people who like that kind of stuff. I actually think a DnD type game set in this world would be fun, enchanted cooking equipment and monster themed dishes just speak to me in a strange way.

Look up something called Dragon Stew. It could use a bit more depth to it's mecha ics, but it's basically this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Look it's simple. You know how long it takes Capcom to create a skeleton and attack animations and AI all that visual flair for each monster they make in Monster Hunter? Why can't Nintendo just do that 300+ times for a real time combat open world game while also balancing all of it? It's simple!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mario 64 has good movement, but it takes some getting used to, especially since 3d movement since then has changed pretty heavily, and Mario 64 was one of the first to implement it, especially with a player-controlled camera (not the first, I'm sure).

So, yeah, it's different from modern 3d platformers but it's not what I'd call bad, for sure.

Though parts where you sort of go into a bonk-fall-bonk-fall-repeat loop until you fall to your death will suck every time (and will always be hilarious to watch when it happens to someone else, sorry)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Bloop posted:

It looks pretty enough if extremely generic

Yeah this is what I came away with as well. Looks like a very competently made, pretty, and extremely standard 3d platformer. A basic mascot platformer from the 00s

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Can't wait to play Kirby: Deep Throat mode

Edit: did someone make this joke I just skipped like a thousand posts

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

hatty posted:

What was wrong with the Magypsies I forget

Well for one they are called that. Second is that they are presented as sort of trying to get a kid drugged and naked in a hot tub or something to give him powers, if I remember right that was a point of contention when the unofficial translation came out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It would be bad if Terranigma gets rereleased because if people actually played the drat thing every other game would seem worse by comparison. An HD2D Terranigma can’t exist because such a thing would require a god that loves us.

I’m a big fan of Terranigma, its only flaw is the Bloody Mary fight isn’t properly tuned. Other than that it’s pretty much a perfect game.

As someone who recently played through this game.....no, no it's not. Short of a full remake that overhauls a lot of the pacing, dialogue, quests, spells, a good chunk of the combat, and so forth, I can't imagine being interested in playing it again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What did they mean by enhanced soundtrack for chrono cross because god drat how do you improve on perfection

They've replaced all the music with dubstep remixes

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It is my birthday and I'm getting a Switch OLED and ain't nobody that can stop me

Edit: And playing it handheld merely feet away from my TV

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 28, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Elden Ring needs a way to mark what you're looking at, a la BOTW.

Also it ripped off the 'okay mission 1: kill ganon' plot from botw, except replace ganon with 'shardbearers'.

Also it's funny, it's more formulaic than people think - every ruin has an underground chest, every mine has a giant door with a weapon, every catacomb has an ash, every church has a sacred tear, etc. And I'm really starting to get tired of seeing the same rooms and houses all over the place (one that stands out in particular is the shack that has three platforms arranged in ascending height, like stairs).

That said, I hope BOTW2 the sequel to Breath of the Wild recreates that feeling of vertical scale that ER loving nails so hard.

Anyway I got my Switch OLED and it's nice - I think my friend is going to appreciate getting my old Switch so that he can finally play MH Rise. Now the real question is, how soon do I get that little eldritch horror game - Kirby is one of those Nintendo franchises that doesn't really go on sale, right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait what kill the whoever has been the basic plot of every souls game so if anything BOTW ripped it off

I meant the 'beeline for the final boss without doing a single other thing' plot but I forgot you need to do a few things in Elden Ring before you can do that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How do you mean? You can add markers on the map

No I mean I want to pull out my telescope, look at something, press a button to see a blue line appear, and open up a map to see a marker there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ugh I want to get Kirby but the eshop credit card system is undergoing maintenance or something.

Please Nintendo

Let me give you money for this pink little friend

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm not sure the best way to find this info.

My wife and I have separate Switch Lites, and our accounts are linked as a Family Group. We just bought a Big OLED Switch for the living room, is there a way to get both of our purchased games on that Switch? Or do we have to pick one Nintendo account or the other, even though we're in a family group?

If you both make the OLED switch your primary switch (that is, each of you add your account to it, go into the eshop and under the account settings, set it as primary), you'll be able to play each other's games on it. On your own switch lites, you'll only be able to play your own games when using your account.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wild that River City Zero is a thing. I have so many fond memories of playing through the original Japanese version with a friend in middle school, pulling it out whenever we had some time and beating it like a dozen times over the course of a few years. Had no idea what was going on, but we made our own story. Played it on some strange emulation device his brother owned that you plugged into a SNES and put five inch floppy disks into. Fuckin good memories, i still have that gambling parlor music forever etched into my brain. Dang, I miss that guy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Rookie Switch question:

I bought a standard Switch that I've connected to my TV, and I have the one controller that came with it. I have family coming to stay with me for a few days. Are there any recommended 2 player couch co-op games that can be played by splitting that one controller in to 2 pads?

The family member is older so hopefully something slow paces like golf or streets of rage etc...

Kirby is good, has a light coop mode where one person becomes a bandana waddle dee that doesn't get powers but wields a spear. Also the camera follows Kirby.

Pikmin 3 is also good - the campaign is fully co-op, but even if you don't have time for that, there's a mission-based mode. It judges you on completion time (and maybe Pikmin lost?) but it's not really important.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

External Organs posted:

I want 4 swords adventures with online multiplayer please

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Nintendo is not to blame for your kid not having friends

Buddy, Nintendo is 100% responsible for my parent's kid not having friends.