Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
got offered a switch recently like a three year old child on their birthday.

Havent played a Zelda game since Twilight, which i did not finish. Is tears good? Am i gonna get whiplash from not having played a nintendo game in a decade? What else is good currently that people recommend? I’m prob gonna get two games to start with and thats it.

Thank you all for any judicious, wise goon recommendations

E: does the voucher thing means i buy those than i can pick tears plus anything else in that list?

Popoto fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Silver Falcon posted:

TotK is indeed Very Good and the perfect game to spend a voucher on. For your other voucher, nab Mario Odyssey, unless for some reason you have a burning hatred of Mario games. If you ever liked Mario games at all, you will love Odyssey.

i liked mario 64 and galaxy quite a lot, but again, decade+ ago

being an adult with adult hours means i prob already know TotK (already redeemed) will take all my time. debating getting an MP game to play with SO and in-laws... but not sure too since they barely game at all (one plays tetris and spyro on her lite every two months and it makes her proud that she's a gamer). are the new mario kart and smash bros good? I'm sort of afraid that nowadays they would be filled with a thousand DLC unlockables crap

e: so far, for 2nd voucher:
debating between
Dragon Quest XI
Metroid Dread
Mario Odyssey
Link's Awakening remake

MP maybe games:
Mario Kart
Smash Bros

e2: i loving hate having to choose things like this, thus why I'm appealing to goons knowledge. this is so frustrating hahaha. still, thank you all
e3: i'm really not sure for any Multiplayer game because: A) need more controllers and B) 80$ to play ten times a year is a bit ugh :/

Popoto fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 22, 2023

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
lmao: was just playing TotK in front of SO, to get a quick check on the game before having to leave the house.

SO: “wow this game is gorgeous, I wouldn’t mind watching you play this tonight while you game!”
Something they’ve never said ever. Kudos on whoever commented on the back-seating potential of this game lol

Also i think I’ll go for Mario Kart. It’s not the end of the world since i know ill eventually get the others i want like Link’s awakening or smash or that Mario one, just we’ll pace ourselves and start with those ones first.

Just one more question then: is mario kart playable with just one half of the controller? As in: does the controller divide in two for local play or do you need a set of the two handles per controller? The division of the thing confuses my pea brain

E: and yeah TotK is gorgeous as F, whoever’s complaining it’s ugly needs to have their eyes checked.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Alright. Gonna go for Mario Kart. Just bought a second set of controller. This should be pleasant.

Thanks all.

Can’t wait to play dressup with Link. My favorite part of games.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
gaming report:
just want to say we've been having a blast so far with TotK and Mario Kart. Especially once we figured out the jump and slide mechanics in the latter.

I wanted to ask: are there any best practices when it comes to battery usage for the console and the controllers? Keep them charging all the time when not using?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Popoto posted:

I wanted to ask: are there any best practices when it comes to battery usage for the console and the controllers? Keep them charging all the time when not using?

i found this:

quote:

Tl;dr: DO charge your Switch early and often. DO NOT drain the battery to 0% every time. DO NOT leave your Switch in a hot car for hours.

I have seen a lot of discussion and some misinformation about how to take care of the batteries in your Nintendo Switch. Let's have a brief discussion. I'll be around in the comments for some Q&A, too.

First, if you don't remember anything else from this long block of text, remember just this: charge your Switch early and often. Here's why.

The Switch (and all of its various controllers) has a Lithium Ion battery (LIB). Think of the LIB as a box with a spring inside of it. The spring wants to push up--that's the stored charge. When you charge the battery, the energy from the wall squishes the spring down, and when it's at 100% charge, the sprinig is compressed all the way down to the bottom of its box. Then, when you undock the Switch and start playing on the go, the spring starts pushing up, slowly uncoiling. When the battery reaches 50% charged, the spring is stretched out, halfway to the top. And, of course, at 0%, the spring is completely stretched out, and it's at the very top of the box. It has no more energy to give. Plugging it back in pushes the spring back down toward the bottom of its box.

Over time, as the LIB is pushed down and stretched out again and again, it will lose some of its springy-ness. On day 1 with your Switch, you'll get about 2-6 hours of play time from your 100% charged battery. But after six months, you can expect that your battery will have a bit less range, maybe 2-5.5 hours or so. How much range you lose depends on how you've taken care of the "springs" inside the LIB. More stretching, and expecially more extreme stretching, will wear it out faster.

Here's the thing about Lithium-Ion Batteries. When they fall below 50%, and get charged up, that causes a bit more wear than charging from, say, 75% back up to 100% again. And leaving the spring stretched out before charging it up again does more damage, too. Try to stop the spring from stretching way out whenever you can--that will help keep the LIB happy for longer. Ideally, you'll keep the battery above 60% at all times, and if it falls below that, you should charge it as soon as you can. There is NO "memory effect" or other reason to intentionally drop the battery down to 0% before charging. Obviously, there will be times that you want to get the full range out of the battery--and that's of course all good. When you're on a long trip and don’t have access to any charger for the whole day, then you'll stretch the battery as far as it can go.

But think about the times that you'll be at home, playing Switch in handheld mode on the couch or in bed. It'll be tempting to just stretch the battery down to 10% or even 0%, and then put the Switch down without charging. That's not good for your battery. You should plug it in ASAP after taking the battery down.

One more piece of advice: keep your battery healthy by avoiding extremely hot or extremely cold temperatures. Leaving your Switch for hours in a car parked in direct sunlight is bad news for the battery. Some third-party cases will trap heat inside the Switch while it charges--definitely not a good idea--so consider taking off any hot (e.g. leather) cases while charging. Cold temps can happen if you head out on a camping adventure, or if you go ice fishing. Just be careful not to let your Switch get too cold at times like that.

Finally, some mythbusting. There's no need to "train" your battery by charging it to 100% before first use. (There's nothing wrong with charging it up before playing, except your hype levels may be impossible to contain.) Again, there's no reason to routinely run your battery down to 0% before charging it to 100%. (This is a very common myth that is extremely damaging to LIB!) And your battery won't last forever; it will eventually need to be replaced. Nintendo will offer a service for this, but you want to keep your battery happy to keep your Switch running great for years to come.

EDIT2: Mythbusting on "overcharging" and keeping the Switch docked at 100%: The Switch will not overcharge the battery. It is designed for long play sessions while docked, in TV Mode, with the battery at 100%. This is OK for the battery, even though it is technically true that you can maximize lifespan by keeping the battery charged lower than 100%. But because the Switch is designed for Dock use, you should plan to just leave your Switch plugged in overnight, or for days, while at 100%. The risk of parasitic load causing extra wear is real, but for most players, that is an unavoidable and acceptable risk to enable uninterrupted TV Mode play. Source: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

EDIT: More info and source for this advice: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5ug9n1/how_to_take_care_of_the_battery_in_your_switch/

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

hatty posted:

They’re pretty easy to swap unlike most phones

Good to know

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Was having an impression for TotK I couldn’t quite pinpoint, but finally it dawned on me what it was: studio Ghibli vibes.

Also, the weapon system finally clicked and I’m no longer afraid. Once you fuse a few things and figure out how to quick select it’s ez pz

Game good. Switch good.

e: also reading the TotK thread and loling at the early reactions and predictions

Popoto fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 24, 2023

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
probably helps too that i have my voices in japanese 😬 after hearing the voice Zelda and Rauru in english, I found myself not a fan of their actors.

Thunder Bear posted:

A similar conversation happened a few pages back and the general consensus for "most optimal two games" was TOTK and Mario Kart, which I back 100%. You can't go wrong.

as the recipient of that conversation, i would like to confirm i've been having good fun with totk and MK8, mk8 being a good quick game to play too in single player for a bit of fresh air before going into the wider world of zelda. both games are gorgeous. would recommend them as a first choice to start out with. keep in mind im a very easy person to please and can't play more than 1 to 2 hours a day tops because adult chores. yet they fit well in that.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Peach - Tears of the Kingdom

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Deep speculation time, don’t click unless you saw the places mentioned.

I saw the third tear cutscene (purah pad geoglyph one) and the moment they said the words “draconic form” i knew exactly where they’re going with the story. I’m guessing, from what I saw in the wind temple/dungeon , that the dragon we saw at the beginning when jumping off tutorial island is Zelda or Rauru, and that, considering the boss of the wind temple was a big rear end dragon like thing, that one was the wind sage and every temple will have us kill another sage to kill the mummy thing which I’m not yet ready to say is Ganon considering the build we saw him have in the cutscene

I’m not looking to have anyone confirm/deny my speculation. But if it turns out that’s the bit spoiler… well they’re not being subtle ;)

E: one thing that i really want to do is to try and find the room from the very beginning when you’re exploring with Zelda to uncover the other part of the mural. I wonder if it’s doable early or if that room is basically before the last boss… gonna have to search around Hyrule castle. Never been yet.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 27, 2023

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I had a N64, these frames drops have nothing on me… NOTHING!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

History Comes Inside! posted:

I also hate the depths, running around in the dark is not my idea of fun and I go through seeds like a motherfucker.

Even dropping into them sucks sometimes because the walls of the chasm are lined with angry glowy poo poo and sometimes that’s also under you and so you’re completely disoriented with no idea how high up you might be and which direction you need to glide in to avoid landing in the angry glowy poo poo.

ImpAtom posted:

Attach your seeds to something you can ride around.

yeah the depths are made to be traveled "in style!" (with hylian-made death machines)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Made my first ToTK depth exploration vehicle. It's got strong bob sample tank energy: a controller inside a box with turrets on the top and sides, with six wheels and a giant light bulb on the front. i love him. It feels so good to use it too. Can't wait to iterate on it.

e: also sorry about constantly posting about TotK in here. I'm keeping my reading of the fast moving main thread for when I'll have completed the game in a month or two. this thread just seems more chill for the odd observation here and there

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Read After Burning posted:

Hello friends, has anyone played A Space for the Unbound (on Switch or otherwise)? I'm a couple of hours away from pulling the trigger on it, but was curious to hear thoughts!

I tried the demo, and found it a bit simple/meandering, with the author's voice a bit too visible through all the characters.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Morpheus posted:

This took me an embarrassingly long time to do. Every time I booted up the game, I would think "I really should just go get that stuff" and then make my way...about halfway there before getting sidetracked by something new.

I recommend to everyone to use stamps more on the map as a "I'll come back to this later" way of being able to complete tasks! they don't give you the ability to place 300 for nothing!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
how does the nintendo e-shop works when you wishlist stuff? I couldn't find where to check the list, and also, does it send you an email or some sort of in-switch notification when there is a sale?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mega64 posted:

You go to the top-right corner in the e-shop in most menus to reach your profile, which will show your wishlist. Nintendo will send e-mails about sales, but dunno how reliable it is for showing you every sale that happens on your wishlist.

You may want to opt with dekudeals.com instead.

thanks

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Twerk from Home posted:

Already does, leaks have all been pointing towards 2020-era Nvidia Ampere GPU tech on cheap, outdated Samsung 8nm.

Hah! Nintendo is DONE for :smug:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
And still the only one to have used a hub properly.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i got dkr with my n64 and with how new 3d gaming still was, exploring the hub world in that game felt fuckin magical

I’ll always remember wanting Zelda 64, getting dkr instead and being -incredibly- pissed… … until I played it and my opinion did a 180 on it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Eastward would be a good game if it let you play it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
no, you're gonna watch this 15 mins pixel cinematic and click through speech bubbles for another 15 mins and you're gonna like it

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Large Testicles posted:

FFXI is the loving worst about that. open a random chest in the first 3 hours of the game? NO YOU DIPSHIT, now you'll miss out on one of the endgame items

Do you mean XII instead of XI?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Non Compos Mentis posted:

it'd be nice if nintendo could do something about the amount of weird, cheaply made games on the eshop but i suppose that is just something you have to deal with on any game shopfront now

What the gently caress is up with milk cat at 0.01$ can anyone tell me why it’s in “best sellers”? (Or cat milk or wtf it’s called)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mister Facetious posted:

Mario Kart Tour dlc tracks aside, I think it's a contender for the best looking game Nintendo's ever made.

glad im not the only one that thinks so. i really dislike the world cities' tracks, i find their style really jarring with the rest of the game's feel. the other mario themed ones are fine, rosalina's ice world is particularly good looking i thought.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mister Facetious posted:

Back when this thread started (or was there one before it? I can't remember anymore), the was some article where indie devs were saying that their games would sell twice as often on the Switch as the PSN store.

From a couple page back but: that ship has already sailed. This effect was because of the relatively smaller size of the Switch online store, which allowed relatively unknown indies to have a huge window store presence.

Now that the store is bloated, it’s back to square one for discoverability and only getting worse day by day.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pinterest Mom posted:

Are you aware of numbers that have been released for Switch vs PS split for more recently-released indie games?

Not particularly no. My information comes from a few indie publishers that I know personally that have been ranting about the golden days being over. My own gut feeling is that it's still probably worthwhile to release on the Switch on top of Steam as an indie, but also to know it's not guaranteed a golden parachute like at the beginning.

One anecdotal data I have from a self published indie that had 0 marketing for their game that I can mention is that they sold about 3 to 1 in favor of the Switch compared to PC, for a final tally of around $15K.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ty! It's really hard to find any kind of numbers like this, I appreciate you sharing what you can.

Given the 3:1 ratio from Switch/Steam, I'm not sure you're saying something different from the other poster? "Publishing an indie game on Switch" is less of a golden ticket than it was in 2018, sure, but it sounds like the Switch might still be the best relative platform compared to the others.

Basically: if game making is something you’re doing as a job and not a hobby, then the rule for the switch is now the same as other places if you’re unknown: get a publisher willing to fund your project and make sure they have a good marketing department. Otherwise even with the 3:1 ratio (which can vary from game to game, that’s just one data point), you’re only gonna be making a bit of funbux instead of an amount that would fund you and your next project easily two times over like the early days of selling on switch.

There’s one specific dude that I know made around $300k USD from their one generic indie platformer. That was in the first year of the Switch’s release and they still have yet to put something else that can make that money. The golden parachute on the switch really was a one time thing for them.

And you’re welcome. I know it’s hard as hell to find numbers/experiences since everyone usually keeps the cards close to their chest.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh I wanted to ask: has anyone played D2 remastered on switch? Does it play well? Is the D2 remaster nostalgia bait or fun in its own right? I’m mostly very intrigued at the idea of playing Diablo with a controller.