Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

the rat fandom posted:

Man, as good as the theatrhythm games are, they have the worst art style.

it is win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Dues Ex

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

When I was a little kid, we were going to see the 90s Mario movie and my parents cancelled the plans the day of because they read a bad review of it. This isn't a joke.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Pokemon Company's US HQ is local so we have pokemon vending machines lol

how can you pass by that without taking home a wobbuffet

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Godly

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Flubby posted:

I've been putting off playing Mario 64 for around 27 years now. I think I missed the window. Looks a little rough these days. I just want Galaxy 2 on Switch already because I missed that one, too.

play it, dork

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I will not thank Nintendo until they release Pokemon Emerald.

For every day that you do not thank Nintendo, I will thank them twice.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Hrist posted:

M-mine too! I never had any complaints. :sweatdrop:

Drowning in factory sealed shrink wrap over here. Actually still have almost half my Switch collection sitting in "I'll buy these now and play them at some point" status.

You gotta open them up and put them in to claim the gold coins so you can get even more games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

Octopath does have random encounters. I’d say it’s the only concession to its ancestors that’s actually a straight negative. Something they can fix for the third, I hope.

Wrong

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Giving the players full control over encounters isn't a perfect correct design decision in every occasion. Randoms means the player has to plan out their loadout for a trip how prepared they are to actually fight a certain amount instead of just hoping they can run around every other fight. It allows the game to expect the player to have actually done a certain amount of fights and not having to just hope you didn't skip a ton. It relieves the player of the opposite of that, having to decide on their own just how much they should grind, how should they know what the game expect of them, and having to run into fights on their own volition.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Looper posted:

games with random encounters are usually balanced with the encounter rate in mind so you never have to grind, unless it's a really old game

^^^^ this

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

beer gas canister posted:

Octo 2 is not quite one of those. I tried to keep my 7 non-mandatory party members as equal as possible throughout and had to periodically run out to grind people up a few levels for the main quests, especially for their final chapters. It has a hell of a lot less grinding than your average PSX RPG or something but it's still there. The combat is fun enough that it wasn't horrible but I'd take those couple of hours back given the chance.

I'm talking about the idea the concept is old fashioned and should be replaced in every game. I don't care about its implementation in Octopath 2 in particular.

But you are asking both for the ability to avoid more fights while also saying you needed to grind so????

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

get the genki stealth dock and never look back.

A dock that doesn't dock.... disgusting

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

What makes the DLC essential?

It is essential you give the dev more money.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

I saw the first yooka-laylee and yokus island express are on sale in switch shop for $3.99 each. Worth picking up for a kid who's engrossed with the old Mario games right now?

yokus is good, the second yooka is very good.... dont touch the first yooka

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Leaving work early today over this

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I probably should have clarified; I've played to completion 1, 2 (my favourite, gently caress the haters), LttP, OoT, WW (A+), TP and the one on the DS that wasn't Spirit Tracks. And I played a bunch of BOTW, got Vah Ruta and the....bird one (?) done before just kind of dropping the game.

Maybe I'm actually done with Zelda overall but I also realize that SS is not the best one by a long shot.

Edit: Phantom Hourglass, there we go.

I never got super far in BotW when it was new (beyond just roaming around forever) but I tried it again this year and went absolutely nuts on it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Hrist posted:

I seriously thought the voice was just something they did for the direct. But then the next direct had more of them, and I hated it.

"Uwoooooh! Nice job on the obvious jump, bud! Nap time is soon. Remember to take a break every 10 minutes."

Scared of nap time?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Slime-san is very good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I really like Super Meat Boy Forever. The way it uses the simple controls builds through the game to eventually overwhelm you. It's really smart and well made.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Chrono Trigger would make an excellent 2dhd game a la Octopath.

Criminal

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Mario should curse a bunch, you're right

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Nice, that's fine by me. Now the question is when/where do I find the time? But I'll find it and make it happen. Sooner or later... After Pikmin 4 for sure.

Nice. On the other hand having my wife mimic the Korok sounds every time I found a seed was always worth a smile. She'd even start doing it at the audio cue even if it wasn't a Korok, which would disappoint her.

marry her again

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just beat Golden Sun lol.

I thought I beat this in college and I had loaded it into my GBA to get the code to transfer my save to The Lost Age when it comes to Switch this week.

I found my cart and the save miraculously was still there. But there was no game complete save. I had a save right before the final boss. I never beat this! I couldn't beat the last boss!

Well I beat it this morning, I was a few levels under leveled, but focused on defensive buffs and it wasn't that bad, just took like an hour and a half!

loading up an ancient save to finally beat it is cool as hell

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Annath posted:

I did something similar with Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 for the GBC.

Except I was worried the battery would die so I bought a weird hacked together device from some russian guy to rip the ROM and SAV so I could beat it on an Emulator. :v:

also very cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I want a princess peach birthday party

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's the best way to do it now

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004