Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Trying to remember if they ever fixed the physical evade and sketch bugs for FF6Advance... I wanna say it was still present for the PSX Collection version at least.

This actually can effect what equipment you pick because in the original version you could just stick force equipment on someone and make them virtually unhittable along with absorbing or taking half damage from all elemental types.

Physical evade was bugged until Advance, Sketch was fixed on PS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Woah woah woah woah. They redid all these games but they all have the same spell effects?

Like the spells from FF1 look the same as 2, 3 and 4?

What the hell? Why?

They were probably trying to aim for consistency, as disappointing as that is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why would they have different animations?

The original games had different animations which helped give them some distinct personality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I’m picturing a TFR goon shout to cloud when he lets her dead body float away into that water “this wouldn’t have happened if she had a gun”

Barrett has a gun surgically attached to his arm and you know how many times he dies? Zero. And he becomes an oil baron!

Incorrect. So far Barret has died just as many times as Aerith.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would put LO well above 12 and 15 and probably on par with 13 if just because it has a combat system that owns and feels like a finished game.

However LO is actually Shadow Hearts 4, not a Final Fantasy game.

Bravely Default is Final Fantasy V The Series.
The Last Story is Final Fantasy Around 9 But Less Nostalgic.
Kingdom Hearts is Final Fantasy 8 On loving Acid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The least evil FF final antagonist is probably Ardin who was literally Jesus but the Gods are assholes and hosed him over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

The Blue Mage in FF6 is Strago because he learns how to use enemy abilities by seeing those abilities, abilities he then uses on-demand. This is the hallmark of blue magics. Relm is the beastmaster. She even gets !Control later on

Gau is a hosed up berserker.

Umaro is incredibly bluntly the Berserker. Gau is just Gau. He's the best parts of Beastmaster, Blue Mage and Berserker rolled into an unstoppable ball of death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darkoni posted:

I like how the Blue Mage questline in 14 starts with a sales pitch / live demonstration and the crowd going "what the gently caress you have to get hit by monsters? This is a scam I'm out of here. "

It's extra funny because canonically the lovely Blue Mage grifter dude is actually so legitimately strong he takes on gods and steals their power.

And then gets his rear end kicked by Gogo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

While its translation is not great, I feel like I understand most things in FFVII just fine.

But I've never understood the Wall Market dress choices. "That feels clean" vs. 'that feels soft" and "that's shiny" vs. "that shimmers."

I don't know much about dresses but what would a clean, shiny dress be?

Clean is probably better translated as "smooth".

Shiny is shiny. Shimmer is glossy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They should have added one of each of the new jobs to each crystal

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

As I near the end of VG's stream of FFVII, I can't help but think about how Tifa comments that she and Cloud have nowhere to go and no one to see when the rest of the party leaves at the end of Disk 2. But Vincent also leaves and I'd think the 50-year-old lab experiment whose spent years in a coffin would have even less places to return to or people to see.

So where the heck did he go?

Probably to either go brood or visit Lucretia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Old-school world maps are not supposed to represent the entirety of the world but major locations. There are presumably a lot of small villages or towns which are entirely irrelevant so they don't show up, much like how they don't feel the need to animate every time Cloud goes to the toilet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why does Cid even own the Tiny Bronco rather than Shinra, did they give it to him for 10 years of dedicated service or something.

Cid literally built it himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they'll keep the Tiny Bronco and Palmer will still get hit by a truck.

Yes, the only thing they'll change will be Palmer will have a mech suit or something instead of just a fancy gun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

Palmer and the truck are gonna be like a three-stage boss fight, but the Tiny Bronco is absolutely getting cut. Not because it's too goofy or whatever, but because there's no chance there'll be a world map in the first place.

No chance it gets cut. At bare minimum it's going to get the same "takes off, crashes" thing but the crash is used to justify moving to the next area.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

roomtone posted:

I dunno I still think the entire sequence of events from here on out will be so unrecognisable that none of these considerations will really matter. The familiar iconography will all reappear, sometimes in different forms. Can't really expect the precise logistics of the original to have any bearing on what they do after you fight fate in a proto-universe in the first one. They've got their alternate Zack-verse to handle, too. It's not gonna be remotely the same a - b - c journey.

They already specifically went out of their way to say that they are still intending to hit most of the major events right after FF7R released. Especially considering they were clearly worried about backlash after the first one they'll probably skew pretty close for as long as possible. I really doubt we'll see any significant deviations until Aerith's death TBH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

They'd better keep the CPR minigame, jumping into the parade march, and having to do the formation stuff in Junon in the second part of FF7R.

The Fort Condor minigame I can take or leave. I guess the big question is if Yuffie will join the party in part 2 since the Fort Condor/Junon area is the earliest you can get her in the original.

Considering her own DLC basically ended with "And she is going to join the party" I imagine so, yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

sacrificing a lamb to the dorito pope in hopes of getting a XVI trailer tonight

Let YoshiP sleep.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

This is me but final fantasy is final fantasy

I do wonder how mods will work though.

There will somehow be nude mods for every single character in the game before the game even launches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Am i the only one who's expecting ff7r-2 to completely diverge from ff7? I thought that was a big point of ff7r, they had to kill the elemental forces of "that's NOT canon" and now they're free to do other poo poo. We may see Rocket Town, Tiny Bronco and/or Palmer getting run over by a truck but it won't be in the same context as the original

I feel like it's going to stick close because of marketing. They already had to come out and promise the story was still going to feature iconic moments. I feel like the death of the spirits of canon doesn't mean their adventure is going to be completely different until Aerith inevitably doesn't die because even freed of those constraints they're still going to make the same choices and go to the same places.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

And yet we've never had a return of "Guy speak beaver", which is a crime

FFXIV has it actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

The big stinger at the end with Zack being alive does seem like a pretty huge thing though. Unless that's a fake out and it's like Zack: "well good on you little buddy, glad I got you back to Midgar safe. Oh wait is that Shinra's army right behind me? Oh no!"

Honestly I suspect based off the history of JRPG remakes and FF7 EU and all that it's basically going to boil down to Zack is going to survive and Aerith is going to survive and they are going to get together and Cloud is going to get together with Tifa so all the romance subplots are neatly closed off and everyone lives happily ever after except Vincent. '

The EU stuff pushes Zack and Aerith hard and their Japanese voice actors are married so I fully expect the entire reason is so that they can have a happy ending instead of Crisis Core's tragedy ending

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That would be so unimaginably awful I can only assume it's going to be true

I am not saying I am in favor of it but it absolutely feels like what you'd write if you were doing a FF7 remake where people had happier endings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Nah, Chrono Cross was definitely announced :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4UT99e7VE

Serge having a voice is just wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

7R also makes it clear that the Sephiroth you fight isn't the 'real' Sephiroth. It intentionally goes to a parallel to the end of the FF7 except Sephiroth stops it and the whole thing is taking place in a weird meta landscape anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

Loving the opera scene

Yeah that looks really good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's not AAA by any stretch of the imagination, I have been saying for years CDPR is just a typical eurojank studio that got lucky with witcher 3

There is literally no universe in which Cyberpunk 2027 wasn't a AAA title. It had a budget of over 300 million and they are not some small indie developer.

Like when your 300 million dollar budget game is the centerpiece of multiple game shows, has insane amounts of hype, and has loving Keanu Reeves in it, you're not on the same level as Rando Eurojank which usually has a budget of $1.50 and some sausages.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It was like five years ago tops

Just think. If this was true then S-E has successfully put out a new Final Fantasy almost yearly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I know how to play the video game you pack of weiners.

It's a slow game. I don't care for the battle system and it didn't hold my interest. It's not a bad game but I just can't hang with it.

Every Final Fantasy is the worst Final Fantasy.

You said the combat system is slow which is demonstrably untrue unless you don't know how to play the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

You can tell Final Fantasy 7 is a fantasy game because the giant corporation stops being evil when they realize they're killing the planet.

Nah, they know that early on and just want to find new ways to kill the planet. They only change their mind after their CEO has a near-death experience because of his own actions.

Which to be fair is still fantasy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barreft posted:

Quick question, does doing the Yuffie interlude carry over anything to the main game? I'm not worried about spoilers, I played the original on PS4 but I forget a whole bunch of it

Finishing it unlocks an extra fight in the main game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

how important is blocking and dodge rolling? Im on normal, and dodge sometimes but seldom ever block. Cloud I just have in Operator then Punusher when target is stunned, that sound ok?

Up to Chapter 3 now

Basically it helps to think of the game more as an RPG than an action game.

Blocking is your primary way to lessen damage you take. It's not super relevant early but later on it will significantly reduced the amount of damage you take from a lot of attacks. Basically treat blocking as something you do when you're not attacking/moving.

Dodge Rolling is very good for getting out of certain attacks but it doesn't have the bucket of I-Frames people tend to associate with dodge rolling so it isn't as reliable as a primary method of defense.

Later things you get can change that up a bit but don't neglect blocking, it's a great way to avoid needing to waste time healing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Procrastine posted:

I didn't play X-2 but I thought it was strongly implied in X that the farplane isn't actually the afterlife, it's pyreflies taking the form of visitors' memories of their loved ones and people just choose to believe it's the afterlife because that's more comforting to them?

No pyreflies can actually take the form of the dead. When you visit there the first time Seymours dad actually drags himself out of the afterlife

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Rikku explains the Farplane like that but it isn't said to be the correct answer and I think X-2 confirms that being wrong.

I think it's both. The Pyreflies reflect the thoughts of people who visit by summoning up an image of the shade but they are summoning up some version of the shade because living people aren't there. (Neither are unsent for presumably the same reason, their soul is still inhabiting their mortal body.)

Like you can't go the Farplane and say hi to your dead brother and have him actually respond but the pyreflies are drawing on something that makes that person what they are (and like we see with Seymour's dad you can totally drag your rear end out if you're pissed off enough.)

HD DAD posted:

Lol @ Yuna being like “yeah that sounds awesome” when Shinra brings up burning souls for electricity.

It's a bit more complex than that because Pyreflies aren't quite souls but more like a magical building matter everything is made out of. A lot of the technology/magitechnology they use is pyrefly based in some fashion so "what if we could harness this to make energy" makes sense if you assume you're just basically using natural resources that are everywhere and not literally people's souls.

Still a terrible idea but easier to understand something people are okay with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

About to start FF12 on the Switch. Have not played this game since the original PS2 release. Anything I should be going for early on?

Honestly? Don't stress. FF12 is an incredibly easy game but it has a lot of incredibly annoying little optimizations or hidden secrets that focusing on basically drains huge chunks of fun from the game. Just play it how you want and don't worry about grinding for superpowerfulomnigear you absolutely don't need.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Not gonna lie I do sometimes miss some of the cool sounding nonsense that came out of bad translations like Fire Bracelet and Merton and Climhazzard

Crimehazard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Thank you for the tips! Are there any "bad" weapon classes I should avoid? I have a vague memory of some weapons being kinda garbage throughout the game.

The worst weapon classes are still absolutely perfectly fine they just have a slightly slower DPS which will matter basically never.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

The one thing I don't like that they did with Zidane is they basically shrank him for Dissidia onwards. He's supposed to be like the same height as Squall and other protags, but they just made him basically a head shorter for... reasons?

Zidane is either tiny or several other cast members are loving giants

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think most FF games have at least one epic moment and plenty of standouts.

FF1: For me it would be the crossing of the bridge. Yeah it's early on but it cemented a sense of adventure that continued through the franchise from that point.
FF2: Lol, I'm back and I'm the Emperor of Hell.
FF3: Probably Aria's death? FF3 is one of the one with limited options.
FF4: This is the first one that has epic buttloads but I'd have to say the "everyone comes to help fight the Giant of Babel" is pretty top notch.
FF5: Gilgamesh showing up to help is pretty top notch.
FF6: The opera
FF7: Aerith's death is pretty high up there but the reveal of Cloud's true background is pretty insane.
FF8: Again a whole ton, but the "floating in space together" scene is probably one of the most memorable love moments in a FF game.
FF9: You Are Not Alone probably is the standout for me.
FFX: Controversial but I thought the ending hit effectively hard.
FFXII: This is actually a tough one since so many moments are more low-impact or subdued but Vayne making his big transformation feels at least pretty cool.
FFXIII: Probably the raceway fight.
XIII-2: Probably any of the time shenanigans.
LR: Stabbing god in the face so hard it creates France.
XIV: The end of MSQ Shadowbringers is an easy favorite here despite the game being filled with them.
XV: Honestly I'd say "waking up to the world of Ruin" was a moment that blew my loving mind even if it turned out to be a wet fart

And that is by no means an exhaustive list. FF is if nothing else good at making "oh gently caress" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Draga posted:

I'd say V's big moment is Galuf vs Exdeath.

I admit for me that doesn't hit as hard because it's kind of a blatant clone of Tellah vs Golbez.