Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ilmucche posted:

field tents being set up for $$$ a night.
The Fyre World Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ah yes the last thing we want at the World Cup: fans showing up and gathering in large numbers

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Everyone is going to qualify don’t worry
128-team tournament
No group stage
All knockout rounds

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

Can't wait until @BritishLad88 beats the poo poo out of some local because he couldn't buy cans
He'll fracture some guy's skull in a swank Qatari club over something really minor and it turns out the victim's a member of the extended Qatari royal family.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Qatar's native-born World Cup Ambassador is quite the diplomatic fella...

quote:

Khalid Salman, a former Qatar international footballer, made the comments in an interview with the German broadcaster ZDF.

Asked about the fact that homosexuality is illegal in his country, Salman said: “They have to accept our rules here. [Homosexuality] is haram. You know what haram means?”

When asked why it was haram, or forbidden, Khalid Salman said: “I am not a strict Muslim but why is it haram? Because it is damage in the mind.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Without handing it to uncle Sepp, I get the logic behind wanting to hold a world cup in the middle east.
But the really funny thing about Sepp being against the World Cup in Qatar is that he's basically admitted to trying to rig the 2018/2022 bid voting so Russia & the USA would host, because apparently the Cold War was still going on. Qatar passed around so much extra bribe money that the voting members turned their back on Sepp's corruption and instead voted for the Qatari corruption, and that just made Mr. Blatter very cross.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

I still lol at the video of the giant sun blocking drones that they promised they'd have to deal with the heat.
Were those part of the mysterious hovering A/C systems that were supposed to be in place and were technically explained in no way whatsoever?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Again, we've had A/C for 80 years. This is so inexplicable.
I think I posted at the time that was one desert NFL Stadium (Phoenix) that had both a roof and a retractable grass surface that could be wheeled outside to sun & water and then rolled back inside for games they could have just copied multiple times over.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, nevermind ACs. We've had "surface that creates shade" for thousands of years. Its called a roof.
Hell if they wanted to get all theatrical about it and have a covering that moved with the sun at the same time they could have just copied the Roman Colosseum's retractable canvas canopy/roof.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

brocked posted:

I want this shirt now
I SPENT 12 YEARS WORKING
ON WORLD CUP STADIUMS
IN QATAR AND LITERALLY
ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

The afternoon game times were a travesty and an abuse, due to insistence by UEFA on having them played at Euro prime time.
I'm not 100% confident on the ID, but I think it was former Rangers/Chelsea player John Spencer who talked about getting poo poo from friends back home in Scotland over how slow the pace of play in MLS was, and defending it by talking about how the on-pitch temperatures were so hot for summer afternoon games that one time in Dallas part of a player's shoe started to melt.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

I remember watching that. Apples and Oranges, OP. It raised a literal shitstorm. Silent Majority 'Murica wanted to do bad things to them. Those 1968 guys, John Carlos and Tommie Smith, they were what you call woke. I guess we'll see if there's any players among the 32 national teams who are what you call woke.
Also, if I remember correctly the careers of both men doing the black glove salute were effectively ended immediately afterwards. Avery Brundage, a legendary shithead who was head of the Olympics, basically threatened to send an entire swath of the US Olympic Team straight home if they didn't do his bidding and ban Smith & Carlos.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Oh boy was he that.

IIRC, on top of this, he was instrumental in bringing the Olympics to Berlin in 1936, continuing with the games after the Munich Massacre in 1972 and refused to help Jim Thorpe get his medals back.
Also in said 1936 Olympics when he was head of the USOC, Brundage - a well-known temperance/teetotaler guy - sent a US swimmer home claiming she was alcoholic and insubordinate.

It turned out her actual crime was that she went out and had a drink in Berlin on a day she wasn't scheduled to compete.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

Those things have air conditioning. Those things have air conditioning, right? Right?
I believe they have fans. Those count as air conditioning, right?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

What a breathtakingly horrible little oval office shill he is
Literally from the same Swiss state as Sepp Blatter.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

How do you air condition an entire stadium?
Well for starters you put a roof on it and then...oh

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Why is there so little shade in all of the picture I've seen?

Everything seems incredibly exposed to the desert heat. Huge wide expanses with no awnings or any types of shady cover at all.

Does Qatar have some kind of allergy to heat mitigation?
As it turns out, they don't give a poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Doha has to be one of the most boring places I’ve ever had the displeasure to go to (work sent me there), there’s going to be a lot of people arrested after getting loaded in the couple bars at the Sheraton Grand Hotel then spilling out to the street unless they shut those down for the World Cup
Doha seems like one of those places that businessmen think is cultured because it has large hotel rooms and fancy-looking restaurants that are both filled with people who will do whatever you demand they do without question.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

No way would Qatar do this. They're trying to look modern and metropolitan...they'll use the foam pit from Twitchcon that injured a bunch of attendees.
Okay I haven't heard about this one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna51410

Even "better", doctors informed her she was pregnant and in order to un-gently caress her spine she had to get an abortion.

:stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

whypick1 posted:

The Dashcon ball pit never actively hurt anyone, so the Twitchcon foam pit seems more on brand for Qatar.
Yeah the Dashcon pit was just loving hilarious and immediately became legendary. Actually that could be said of the entirety of Dashcon itself.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Love to sit on one of those beanbags after they've been out in the sun and my skin just instantly fuses to it like a cheese toastie
They're probably made of vinyl too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

They're counting all the dead migrant workers they buried directly underneath the venues.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

Qatar has had serious issues with hotels and lodging for the World Cup, and also didn’t allow sensible alternative options like “allow people to commute from places like Dubai and Abu Dhabi that actually have hotels.” Even the logistics of this World Cup have been beyond hosed.
I am currently doing some work for a guy who decided to go to the World Cup, and from what I've seen of his Instagram he's responded to every Qatar joke post one of his friends has made (price of beer etc etc etc) with "ugh" so it sounds like things are going wonderfully for him at the moment.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

2030 basically has to be in Uruguay for the centenary
You mean just like how Athens got the 1996 Olympics?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

goatface posted:

Great Britain and Ireland.

Or the Anglo-Celtic massive.
The Isles of White

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Some American tries to sneak a bag of Skittles into USA-England and gets taken to a black site.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

frantically trying to explain what "taste the rainbow" means as they clamp electrodes on my balls
lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Costa Rica lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dubai built the world's tallest building(tm), but then couldn't be arsed to connect it to the sewage lines. So every morning there is a line of trucks just to carry away the poo.
That's gotta be a weird thing to put on a resumé.

"What did you do for five years in Dubai?"

"I was a contractor who drove trucks from skyscrapers filled with other people's poo poo."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Serbs gonna serb
In a way it's kind of amazing that the entire Slavic world isn't in a permanent state of open conflict given how much they all hate each other.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

not to beat a dead horse here but if you can't be bothered to serve someone chicken with some kind of sauce what the gently caress are you even doing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you beat a dead horse til it's tender you've got some good scran meat right there
I failed to consider this.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Masonity posted:

That's part of what makes it such a sick burn.

Although as an Englishman football temporarily ceased to exist in 94. 1996 was my real introduction to football, both the Euros then watching Arsene Who? arrive. My first at the stadium memory was the not-foul on Robbie Fowler at Highbury where even he told the ref it wasn't a penalty, but the idiot ref disagreed. In 97.
Wait I thought for modern English people football was invented in 1992.

vyelkin posted:

I love penalty shootouts but I hate the Americanization of the sport which demands that we somehow do away with draws.
And it's funny you say that because there haven't been shootouts to decide winners and losers in the top two tiers of leagues in the US at any point in the 21st Century.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 1, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

It’s a way to have your 16 groups of 3 teams each cake and be able to eat it as well. Which is why it’s so incredibly dumb.
Only the cake is a pile of poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

webmeister posted:

it really is astonishing how basically every major sports administration the world over is terrible, useless, and hopelessly corrupt
Coincidentally, the international ones are pretty much all based in Switzerland.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Switzerland: The Delaware of Europe
Does that make Liechtenstein the Rhode Island of Europe?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And here I thought today was wild enough.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I'm going to bed so if any bad posts get made and reported you'll be at the mercy of the sex ghost
Sex Ghost Coast to Coast

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

This has got me pretty hosed up, to be honest. Like, I never sought out or necessarily even cared about Wahl’s opinions or anything, but he’s been a staple of American soccer journalism/punditry since I really started following the sport in the late 2000s.
I'm pretty sure he was proficient enough at covering the sport he was sent to cover a World Cup almost straight out of college, and I think this was World Cup #7 or 8 for him as a writer.

This is really, really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm also curious why it took 6-7 hours for news about this to get out if he died at the stadium.

Nostradingus posted:

Yeah. For non-Americans who may not know, Wahl was probably the most respected American soccer journalist. His work was absolutely everywhere. He was a really big part of the American soccer landscape, for better or worse.
He was also a pretty well-respected writer in general. He wrote the "Chosen One" article about then junior in high school LeBron James that basically introduced him to a wider national audience.