Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look I just want to know when it will be legal again to buy a Glock 17, be able to Form 1 (and paying the tax), and get to add a switch to it. :v:

Enough with this fetus hugging crap, let me get something that would make Chief Keef proud.

I'm kidding...but seriously if you take out Abortion the right is going to need a new crazy thing

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So WTA announced it's suspending any matches or tournaments in the PRC now.

Can't wait to see the Tankie Whataboutism, PRC/Global Times/CTGN twitters bitch about this, and then they try and come up with their own PatrioticTennis Group. lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Hate to tell you friend. The rights shenanigans was never about abortion, or guns, or drugs, or terrorism.

I know I'm just wondering what the next sham issue will be.

Oh in I'm pretty sure someone's lawyer didn't approve this news.

It seems he had his wife prepare him for this interview. You know just make poo poo up.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ded posted:

boy i sure hate it when a gun i am not pointing at someone shoots all on its own. its a real drat mystery how things like this happen!
I know, clearly it was the fault of those union people who didn't want to work on a lovely death trap, for a movie that probably will land on Tubi and Crackle.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that's the thing: If a gun safe is too expensive, a gun is well outside of your budget. Even small handguns run well into $150-$200 price range minimum, and ammunition is worth more than gold at this point.

I think you’d be surprised at what you can get for half of that. I mean yeah it’s a Saturday night special but it’s still a gun.

Also I use a stack on for my stuff and don’t keep anything loaded since I have two young kids. Wonderful kids, but still kids.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 2, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raerlynn posted:

I'm not disputing the point that it adds to the cost. I'm saying, "that's the cost of reducing gun violence in America". At some point we as a society have to draw a line and say "this is the minimum we expect you to adhere to if you want to own a weapon, cost be damned". A cheap pistol safe at Harbor Freight is literally the same price as a box of ammo.

We don't have the same hand wringing about how states require carrying an insurance policy and registering a vehicle on an annual basis disproportionately impacts the poor, because we decided as a society that this was a requirement for the good of everyone.

Yes, we do. One of my law school profs lead the fight for changes in NJ insurance laws that moved in that direction (He was also an Assemblyman).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1466449676576636930?s=20

Further adventures from the Weeb and Covid Convention.

Honestly they should probably test most of the attendees for a host of other things too.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 2, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Tune in if you want to see Mutti saying goodbye.

...also if you like Germans marching with torches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAT-C86Cv9Y

Well you need something to light all those coal facilities that dingbat helped create, because she was a chicken little about nuclear power.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't think you quite comprehend the almost universal NIMBY-energy in this dumb country after Fukushima

Oh trust me I have a good idea. The worst part is she even managed to strength the Russia's because of it.

CommieGIR posted:

But the average guns used in shoots are not a Saturday night special. Nearly all these shootings are larger hand guns and rifles.

So no, if you are buying any of the weapons we've seen used in shootings, you can afford a safe.

Oh I was just saying that it is possible for the poor to get guns (well depending on the state...good luck in NY with all their fees and "paperwork")

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So today I learned that Virginia has a Communist Party (noticed it when looking at John Brown related tweets).

https://twitter.com/VACPUSA/status/1466493111975165962?s=20

I wonder if they're Maoist, Trotskyist, or Stalinist? lol

Also nothing says a party like a Communist Birthday Party!
https://twitter.com/communistsusa/status/1465727358695059460?s=20

Sorry there is just something funny (since they're mostly harmless, these days, unlike the fascists') about people still trying to unironically convert the US to Communism.

Honestly kind of wonder how many just are edgier DSA's.

In real news :bisonyes:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bradheath/status/1466520844067393540

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 2, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

If your counter to the rising right is to disengage and stop opposing them in the political arena, I question the strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOTyUfOHgas

This also applies to the DNC too. lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t see how it’s better to vote for a group of people that resign and do nothing. I’ll vote for the left-wing that actually at least try sometimes but I’m done with the mainstream Dems. We already lost the Supreme Court so what’s the point? Voting third party or protest voting en masse is the only thing that’ll make them wake up.

gently caress handing these cynical assholes my vote when they’re working in lockstep with the GOP as token opposition

Well just give it to people that should get it like Fetterman vs the DNC (guilty there last cycle) or someone like Beto or whatever dumbass money pit (like the one against Graham or McConnell) else some DNC grifter will start.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Florida Special Forkses.

Delta-infected Force.

5th coronary group.

E: The Rascal Brigade.

The HoverRound Battalion.
If they start acting like dipshits...

Future Afghan Wedding Party. :sherman:

I should add that a bunch of states have these, and usually to supplement NG Disaster relief. Of course Texas used it to "monitor Jade Helm" and I wouldn't trust Ronald McDeSantis one bit..

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/1...ientists-report

Omicron is spreading twice as fast as Delta is in South Africa. So hopefully if it’s actually a less deadly or severe variant this might be arguably a good thing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

US Berder Patrol posted:

The other variants carried degrees of reinfection risk and omicron is apparently significantly more capable of reinfecting hosts who had a previous covid infection. Widely spreading omicron is not going to confer widespread immunity. It's going to blast through "already had it so I'm good" chuds and "usually mask and distance but just so tired!" libs alike. It remains to be seen whether vaccines will save us. Maybe I'm wrong and you should ignore my unrepentant doomerism or perhaps I've just missed your point, but the idea that the even more infectious, even more antibody evading variant is going to be a "good thing" doesn't make sense unless you are assuming corona is a disease that you can get over and become immune to (it hasn't been so far). I'd assume the opposite: that a whole lot of lung soup death is knocking on our door right now.

Well I meant more in the sense that dominant strain would no longer be Delta and (would hopefully) be something less worse. We could actually have a variant that spreads very easily, but with a less severe version of Covid (in terms of sickness and mortality). I mean the worst thing would be something deadly like Ebola, but didn't burn through people until 2-3 weeks vs what it does in reality.

ASAPI posted:

Well...

So much for the party of law and order?

Also, not surprised at this at all. They didn't want to take basic responsibility regarding their child's mental health or the care and storage of their weapons, why would they face a trial?

:same:

gently caress these people, they're the ones at fault. I am fine with the kid going the juvie route with an option for continued commitment. His parents should just be dumped in a parking lot with the victims families (yeah I know I'm just saying I wouldn't feel bad), but I'll settle for a long prison sentence.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So it's highly infectious, and possible against vaccines, has anything about the lethality rate or the most common outcomes (ie mild, bad, lots of vents)?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It also seems to be having a significant increase in kids under 5 being hospitalised so....

Oh that’s loving wonderful. Okay great this thing is going to be worse then Delta. Jesus Christ. Then again around 1000 people drop dead every day in America from this and everyone seams to have moved on.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Give the scientists another week and a half to figure out the Omicron poo poo. Everything's speculation until then.
What has been established so far about Omicron?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you both I appreciate the links and info. My kids finally got their second dose this Monday and I’m just worried about this so much now. One of the reasons is I’ve seen a lot more breakthrough cases recently. Now I don’t mean that to be statistical, it’s just anecdotal, but that’s enough to get me worrying.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You know if they accidentally get aired out by the Marshals I don’t think I’m going to be too terribly upset.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not going to lie, if I could get 5 acres between Mt Hood and Mt St Helens for a grand an acre, I'd be in Washington state when my lease runs out. Something about living between two volcanoes, close to a subduction zone, and possibly (ever so slightly) being surrounded by bigfoots, is just so drat appealing.

Stopped reading my mind! ;)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Was kind of hoping to watch some KKK guys get the poo poo kicked out of them by capital police or metro police, but this is still quite enjoyable.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had no clue this was a thing, but goddamn is it funny.

https://youtu.be/MfqRg4BPAi4

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decline and Fall of Western Civilization.jpg

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay fess up which one of you is working for the Global Times now?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nick Soapdish posted:

I accidently lost a game playing this card on DEFCON 2. Opponent boycotted causing nuclear war and Soviets winning.

I think that's a sign that the game might need a rules update.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pfft screw Defcon. This is where it's at! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=825lg1lUrj8

It's actually insanely fun, nearly impossible to win (people have done it), and I'd kill for an open source real world update of this.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soul Dentist posted:

Looks cool flipping through but hell if I'm gonna listen to the reviewer literally yawn his way through the game. Good god edit the video my dude

Yeah, sadly there is very very little coverage out there. Luckily you can find the game all over the internet.

And holy poo poo I found the manual. Had it once years ago, before I lost it in a hard drive crash.
https://retro-commodore.eu/files/downloads/amigamanuals-xiik.net/Games/Bravo%20Romeo%20Delta%20-%20Manual-ENG.pdf

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silvergoose posted:

Nah, avoiding defcon traps is a large portion of early skill strategy.

I mean I do get it, it's just the idea of Nuclear War getting trip off by that is kind of silly (which isn't unique in nuclear war scenarios admittedly). Perhaps allow it to degrade the Defcon status, but not hit 1.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is a web version of BRD for anyone interested in trying the USA side. But it can be downloaded all over the place for both sides.

https://classicreload.com/bravo-romeo-delta.html US
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/bravo-romeo-delta-23y/play-23y Russian

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

The idea is that if you’re already at DEFCON 2 or 3, you don’t do poo poo that could possibly piss off the other guy.

Like I said I do get it, just the idea of Andropov sitting at the opening games and going, "oh they didn't show up GLASS EVERYTHING" is just very silly, but that's the point I assume.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Friends posted:

I wonder what could possibly explain a lot of people in this forum being broadly skeptical of media narratives, especially on foreign policy.
There is a difference between being skeptical and critical of US Foreign and/or Domestic Policy and going Full On Glenn Greenwald and/or Global Times Twitter Tankie, but for China, instead of Putin's Russia, Russia Today/Sputnik, and Trump.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 6, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Lmao they’re missing that small detail that party membersship is effectively less-hereditary aristocratic class and no loving way those includes all the people living in the remote parts of the west.
Honestly I just thought it was funny claiming 90% participation, because honestly it reminds of those Saddam elections, but even the PRC said....uhh we have to be reasonable and still came up with 90%. It's interesting that for the person making the chart turnout seems to be most important aspect, kind of a little on the nose for the performative part of elections in non-democratic states (and not unique to the PRC of course).

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

China is ahead of us in the jailing/killing billionaires categories, a statistic we probably should start catching up on.
The biggest issue is the Gov just props up a new parotitic billionaire to take over. I'm still partially awaiting for the debut of The All Women's Parotitic Chinese Tennis Federation.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

lol, that's because Western money often comes with perky strings attached like "take quantifiable measures to ensure this doesn't all get funneled to the elite in power" and "make an effort to hold meaningful democratic elections". China has no such compunctions against straight up filling the coffers of kleptocratic elites to bolster its influence and make its victims deeply endebted to it. The West sure doesn't have a great track record on that, either, but it at least is kind of trying depending on the admin in power.

Well let's not go crazy here. Western Foreign Aid has been at times equally if not more hilariously corrupt then even what the East was doing (look at the France and The Central African Empire). That said while their have been attempts to improve transparency and accountability in the West (regardless of the actual success sup Afghan National Army), I'd say it's fair to say that the PRC doesn't really care about those issues being top priorities though. Honestly they seem more in wanting to jump into a quasi "Scramble for Africa", but just a little late.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 6, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The book the logic of political survival makes a pretty good case that China and the US are both much more similar in how “democratic” most Americans would like to they are (though still not that close) but with opposite mechanisms on how they control (China gate keeps the nominal electorate from the general population using the party, while the US has a broad electorate that can freely participate but uses the electoral college, registration/district fuckery and two party system to (less successfully) lock out outsiders).

To be clear though the US is still very much a “democracy” by any reasonable definition just among the most flawed of the major ones.

I'll admit that that is an interesting way to look at it and I can see it. That said I'd argue that the PRC legislature being a total rump one, is what separates it from say, the way Senators used to be selected, but using Communist window dressing, but as you point out the US is still an actual (though very flawed) democracy, does the book examine that angle? Honestly the US gerrymandering one reminds me more of rotten boroughs that used to exist in the UK.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

IMO this is just really just Xi consolidating power than any ideology, the exact same process played out in Russia.

Don’t get me wrong I’d like the Sacklers to face justice but the “isn’t it rad that China kills some billionaires” just seems kinda not it.

As Xi tightens his grip over the party and country I think China has the potential to become a much scarier thing than it already is because until Xi ethnonationalism wasn’t really part of the rhetoric and policy but has rapidly accelerated.

:same:

Also watching Xi do those cringe as gently caress military parades in the car with all the microphones, makes me happy the US military found a way to tell Trump...sorry can't do that...tanks will gently caress up the road. Even more Cringey when he dresses up in military uniforms or Mao cosplay.

Also very good point on the ethnonationalism aspect. That's why I always use the terms PRC or CCP when talking about the state and leadership. Xi probably beats himself raw at the idea of inserting himself as the protector of China and Chinese at home and abroad. It's like "dude pretty sure a lot of people of Chinese descent don't want you repping them."

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 6, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Draw" my rear end:

(SS-18 Mod 3s are just straight up cheating)

Oh yeah those SS-18 Satans are usually my first target (although apparently the real way to win according to a poster here who did it, was degrading the Comms and Early Warning Stuff) with some of my Peacekeepers or the first to use if I'm doing the Commonwealth...which was good...for escalating things.

You have no idea how long I've been playing this and the best I got was a draw. Part of the problem is the game needed more features and data. Honestly someone rebuilding this in Command: Modern Operations (and being able to run it) would be really awesome.

Ignoring the awful video I linked above, I did find a nice writeup someone did, which does a decent job explaining it, sans manual.

https://jasonlefkowitz.net/2014/11/choreographing-armageddon-bravo-romeo-delta/

Also this version 1.2 of the game allows you to see the stats without quitting and to save iirc.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Bravo_Romeo_Delta_1993

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 6, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Selectorate theory is a game theory model of politics that I think is much better and both expands and fixes the ideas from the the more well known theory talked about in “Why Nations Fail”

If you want to read more the “Dictator’s Handbook” is sorta the math-free general public explanation of the theory. Much like any sociology framework its predictive power is debatable but probably among one of the more evidence based ones.

I’ll be honest I’ve also read their actual academic publication but I don’t understand most of the notation specific t game theory and barely understood any of the technical aspects beyond maybe what each variable was so I recommend the Dictators handbook instead of the actual book Logic of Political Survival.

GCP grey also did a video on it but I think he Malcolm Gladwell’ed it and got a lot of stuff wrong and over-simplified.

Thanks! I'll have to take a look at it. Especially the Dictators Handbook, reminds of Coup D'état by Luttwak, like a practical guide without all the Deltas so to speak. I know people have pointed out Luttwak's flaws...and he's pointed out the books (as the one dude in Africa who was a Defense minister who tried using it...did not end well). Still I love reading it and I really need to look at the newer edition. It's kind of why Managing Nuclear Operations fascinated me so much when I found it in college, as it explained how nuclear targeting (among many other things) are actually done, which never normally gets talked about.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 6, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

Oh for sure! That's why I tried to call out the West's historic track record being pretty lovely, but there has been some halting progress toward higher expectations on recipient governments in the last few decades (though whether that just amounts to demanding they fake a bunch of documentation that they totally are handling the money appropriately, it's hard to say).
Yeah, it's a question of whether there are actually positive effects or it's just a new shell game.

Also I always joked that Managing Nuclear Operations was like a strat guide for Bravo Romeo Delta...but looking at the manual...it's actually a cited source with a few other books.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MA-Horus posted:

:10bux:

You're already here, aren't you?

Yeah, but Lowtax stole it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I'm honestly here to talk about Twilight Struggle more but in a bit of an oopsie it looks like the US Navy has managed to infuse Pearl Harbor's ground water supply with delicious fuel products.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/03/1061194511/pearl-harbor-tap-water-petroleum-fuel

Not a lot of other aquifers when you're on an island so kind of an extra poo poo move.

IIRC the instructions actually mention something that it's a game designed to simulate the assumptions of the Cold War, so things like domino theory are actually kind of supported by the gameplay. It's a pain in the rear end to set up but if you can get the digital version on Steam for < :10bux: it's probably worth a spin if only to read about all the cards.

I might just do that. Thanks!

TheWeedNumber posted:

This is pretty rad. I’m having fun just leafing through the manual.
Yeah, it's neat seeing all the citations and generally it's really informative. Though the line about the Russian people having a history of conquest is pretty cringe though. lol

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 7, 2021