Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endwalker cutscene question just before going to the 6th zone (really *just* before, don't get into the slow wind-up and figure you've seen enough): all the beast tribes show up to help except the Namazu. Doesn't change based on quest progression, do they not count for some reason? I haven't done their quests, but I assumed the Big One was a primal even if we never fought the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

how are people liking DRG in 6.0? Mine is getting dumpstered by SMNs in the 81-90 dungeons but I dont know how much of that is the class and how much is just me being bad at drg

I like it, but I haven't been doing comparisons. Only 89 currently so I don't have Double Dragoon to add to things, until then it's just more of the same with some quality of life bumps smoothed over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

State of Warrior in Endwalker: I have become That rear end in a top hat Who Solos the Last 30% over Ten Minutes Instead of Just Wiping.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Begemot posted:

They look great as long as the camera is like ten feet off the ground, which it will be 99% of the time.

Unfortunately, they love to do dramatic close-ups during cutscenes. I laughed out loud at the zoom in on extremely low-poly grapes in EW, they look so bad. And the hair always bugs me, the textures are just awful.

In contrast the Dragoon Endwalker AF has a lot of fine detail that looks great in closeups, but it's so dark it's a mess when zoomed out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Me theorycrafting level 90 bard: "okay this is basicly the same as 80, just hit this one extra button and I can stack this oGCD if the cooldown reduction procs a lot."

Me playing level 90 Bard in a dungeon for the first time: "oh crap now I hit this and this and this button just came off cooldown and keep that GCD rolling and wait this is something weird THE BOSS IS DOING SOMETHING WEIRD!"

I was not nearly as prepared as I thought, I have to recalibrate all my instinctive timers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

This is my first time actually worrying about pentamelded crafter gear. Is there an obvious stat to prioritize, or is it such a mess of conditionals that if I value my sanity "whatever big materia you've got that don't overflow" is the way to go?

I know that I can do X/VIII until the first overmeld (so for example if there's two slots I can put three in there) and then IX for the rest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

89 dungeon:
But it was the final fight that really went into overdrive. The healer and DPS died at like 75% HP because we didn't know that "Right" meant his right, lol. But the tank wanted to keep going so we did, and I learned the fight pretty quickly. Because of Syrcus Tower when he started casting Curtain Call I was like "This is Unix... I know this!" Except I was waiting for a pillar to hide behind and there was nothing as the castbar kept going up...

Honestly, "Stage Right" would have been just fine for the brand.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Loaded up nuSummoner, I think I've got the buttons sorted out (after figuring out that if a spell still exists but cannot be assigned to a hotbar, it won't take it OFF your hotbar), but I have one question:

Physick has a potency of 400 and heals for ~550. Rekindle has a potency of 400 and heals for ~12000. Are they operating under different rules or am I missing something?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gruckles posted:

Physick scales off of the mind instead of intelligence.

Figured it was something like that, thanks.

Also, this is a very shiny job now and I might need to turn down my own effects when playing it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

You can't, wait only takes integers. You really shouldn't macro combat abilities outside of a couple of exceptions anyway.

Let's see... I have one button to set a focus target (just so that I can put it on my bar and remember, shift-F works fine otherwise, use it before combat) and another to Eyes my focus target. Nascent Flash can be macroed to always hit slot 2 (or wherever you keep your other tank). Rekindle targeting the tank might be useful for Summoner. That's all I can think of for the jobs I play. Definitely something I try to keep to a single active command, for example for Dragoon you can do something fancy like "focus enemy, target nearest player, Eyes them, retarget focused enemy" to guarantee that you're getting someone who isn't out in left field, but I found it misfired half the time and had to be reclicked to go off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Doesn't affect Carbuncle or the Egis. Voted 1

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Hitting the final boss of Orbonne be like
https://i.imgur.com/gBRQBQt.mp4
I'm pretty sure 100% of the groups I've gotten have wiped here at least once, it owns :laffo:

The Kitchen Sink attack is not usually seen outside of savage raids. It's pretty impressive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

isk posted:

Re: Spicy Alliance raids of late - we're in that weird area immediately after Early Access where the kind/skilled/grateful EA players are no longer the norm. They're still around, but the irony-poisoned edgelords started creeping in after the official expansion launch. Like, my morning's LotA run had an Alliance that almost wiped on Atomos by blinking their pads just enough to interrupt everyone's DPS while saying they were the only folks who mattered, then wiped on Phlegethon by staying in for the first Ancient Flare while saying they don't make mistakes. It's so unoriginal and unnecessary

I did an 89 trial today where I was the only non-new person (helping a guildy) and didn't remember enough to help. One heal left after three attempts. The replacement stopped fighting halfway through and just complained that people kept getting hit by mechanics until we kicked them. Last person, we won. It's a week in with a group full of newbies, don't complain that they're new!

It was fun to watch though, because everyone kept doing better each attempt. Some folks get to phase 2... most folks get to phase 2... everyone makes it to phase 2 and we finish that... It was lovely.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Clarste posted:

Okay, but why are people doing the 89 trial for the first time without using the Trust?

Guildy's response afterward was "oh you can do that? I guess I clicked too fast because I wanted to get the fight in before I had to go."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

take off your pants

and whatever else until your ilevel is only in the ARR range

I'm alone at home, pants were never an option.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

at last. tis done

Other than weekly custom deliveries and the daily GC turnins if starred, are there any tricks to do this more quickly than levequests if the options for those are ugly? Sometimes it's "oh, this job can make items from two leather and a cloth" and another job only wants things made from leather, cloth, lumber, ingots, and a couple of alkahests.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

central dogma posted:

Any favorite artifact gear? I've gotten the RDM and SMN so far. The former is good except for the shorts, which is an odd fashion direction unless I'm missing some cultural derivation. The rapier is beautiful though.The SMN armor looks nice, easy to dye, and has wings and a head dong :) But the weapon is a little uninspired.

I'm finishing BLM next, but not excited at all about the gear. I might do a different job instead.
Dragoon looks great close up, but a mess from a distance and the detail is in a form that dyeing doesn't help. Bard's got some style.

Usually I hate broad-brimmed hats in cutscenes, but the bard one often just left my character's nose and smile so I knew what glam I gad to go for. It's a shame Bard doesn't get the Nier raid trenchcoat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Carmen Sandiego?

Yup

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This also applies to Bard, I can just blow everything I have at once and the mob is probably down to 25% by the time I'm out of buttons, if not dead outright.

A quality of life thing I didn't think of that comes from divorcing songs and dots? It just keeps ticking. Kill a guy, go back roaming the overworld, and by the time you fight again Apex Arrow is gonna be charged up and ready.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

escape mechanism posted:

The 8th Umbral Calamity Urianger describes feels much more momentous than the 7th. It’s not just a big natural calamity, it also ushers in huge sociopolitical changes. Sorry if I’m hung up about this, it’s still weird to compare the 7th UC to all the others.

The thing to note about the 7th calamity is (level 73-ish, before first ShB trial) that Louisoix managed to contain the damage. EVERY other Calamity has basically remade the world and forced mankind (in the generic all-races sense) to start from scratch,

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tabletops posted:

my summoner seems to have lost half her buttons, i'm only 67 though. does the class work at this level? I'm not even sure how to play it anymore with all that poo poo gone
Folks have typed something up by now but I'm visual...

So here's what I've got:

Green: Bahamut/Phoenix. 0 summons them (and lights up the primals), - is a VERY strong one-time oGCD, 8 is summon-specific (Bahamut is damage, Phoenix is heal, the primals will get an ability here too at 86), they will turn Ruin into an instant-cast stronger version for 15 seconds.
Red: single-target attacks. 1 is Ruin, your time-filler GCD, 2 is the special version of that which popping a Primal gives you (wind is fast and instant, earth is instant but normal cooldown, fire is slow cast time but hard hitting), 3 is the oGCD unlocked by 4, and 5 is a strong GCD unlocked by 4.
Yellow: AoE versions of red. That's it, nothing else. Act the same, share resources, everything.
Blue: your primals. Unlocked by hitting Bahamut/Phoenix. Some small nuances in each one's type of AoE but basicly during the downtime between the big summons you hit a primal, use their specific attack until the charges run out, hit the next primal and repeat.
Pink: debuffs/buffs. 1 reduces enemy damage, 2 is a self shield, 3 is a 30s damage buff to the party. 2 and 3 can only be used by Carbunkle, so unavailable when in a Bahamut/Phoenix phase or for a few seconds after hitting a Primal, they transform back to Carby after their summon attack (don't need to spend all charges).

So basically your flow is to summon Bahamut/Phoenix (at lower levels this gets replaced by a button that powers Carbunkle up in a similar way to unlock the gems), hit their Ruin/Tri-disaster until the buff wears off, hit primals, and then Bahamut/Phoenix will be back up soon sop you can do a few slowcasts or hit energy drain for a Ruin IV in there. At lower levels the rotation stays the same. There's a lot more abilities to try and parse but everything gets replaced by something else as you level up so once you get it all sorted there's no need to shuffle when you downlevel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

The best part of this expansion was me going "ok here we go it's Gamemaster Anthony's birthday time and all my friends from all the main and side quests are coming in for a big party" and then it happened like 3 more times with more and more friends each time.

Insert Gary Oldman EVVVERRRRYYONE gif here

Except Alexander. The guy couldn't take 5 minutes of his infinite time loop to hop over and help?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MechaX posted:

I feel like with no real way the queues are getting better, but only worse, and I would like to at least be able to play this after work to unwind, I feel like I should just be starting on a tank just for the quick duty queues at this point. DPS wait times are still rather rough.

This brings me to my next subject; holy gently caress you Warriors are eating for real in this patch. It took me a minute to realize that Nascent is now your Darkest Night equivalent and Bloodwhetting seems like it's real, real good in general.

Can't wait to get Fellest Cleave at 90

One person new to their warrior at 80 was trying to figure it out, I told him that Raw Intuition is great and on a very short timer so it's easy to hit without worrying about saving it.

"I see that but it's only 6 seconds."

Dude. It's 6 seconds where you can AoE yourself to invincibility. That thing saves my rear end so many times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Whoever wrote the role quests read all of those.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Leal posted:

I wish they put in a thing where if you hit max level and a quest gives xp, it converts that quest reward into rest xp :sigh:. I'm 90, still have yet to reach the 6th section and all that xp is gonna go to waste. I guess I can level up another class to 89....

Level 90 MSQs feel like such a waste, I always cringe when I reach that part of an expansion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Why do Demi-Bahamut/Phoenix have increased emnity?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Begemot posted:

They just do a shitload of damage. It's 1300 potency for Akh Morn/Revelation now, when it used to be 600, because you only get one cast each time you summon them instead of two.

I have noticed that I peel off a lot more mobs from tanks if I summon Bahamut right away, it's kind of fun :allears:

Enters Dreadwyrm Trance and summons Demi-Bahamut to fight your target.
Demi-Bahamut will execute Wyrmwave automatically on the targets attacked by you after summoning.
Increases enmity in target when Demi-Bahamut is summoned.
Duration: 15s

Edit: I think I got it, logging back in to test.
Edit2: Yup, the added enmity is so that summoning Bahamut/Phoenix acts as a tag, since it does no damage on first cast.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 16, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, also the 2002 login bug....

IT WAS FROM 1.0

Because of course it was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eimi posted:

FFXIV has officially hit gently caress off we're full.

"Please forget you've heard about the critically-acclaimed MMO..."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MechaX posted:

I have acquired the chainsaw axe from the 83 dungeon

Yep, WAR has the best weapon ever now, I have spoken

There's a crafted version at 88 that's a bit shinier, but if you're going to use a buzzsaw axe I feel it needs to be a rusty buzzsaw axe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If anyone was wondering, you can solo ShB S-ranks as a 90 warrior.

Takes 45 minutes, but completely safe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

this works even better when you consider that the lifeboats weren't actually full, the people tasked with filling them just weren't very competent :v:

There's a limit to how quickly people can get through the queue AND the worlds are full.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Leves and Studium quests are prosperously fast.

Grand Company deliveries are easy for a few million xp a day, too. Automatically give HQ levels.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onean posted:

As for the cost of a gatherer leve vs. a crafter one, I don't think the crafter ones are worth that much more for leveling. Making and turning in the level 81 collectable craft gives a ton of XP, so it's not like you're missing out by doing that instead of leves.

Basicly comes down to what's obtainable. Collectables are ~1.5mil each (depending on level) and give scrip, HQ leves are 3-4mil total. If you fins a collectable you can easily get the mats for and craft good enough it'll be easier, same if a leve tier is particularly friendly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arist posted:

I'm a giant hypocrite since I waited at least 10 hours total over a period of about five days and got it, but... you should really just wait a month or two.

But then how will they fly around on the same special unique mount as everyone else?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Can confirm that thordan ex is easily soloable by PLD now. One attack after the knights phase took me to half health so not sure if a DPS could do it

Warrior as well, but I agree that the section where you get his by phys vuln and magic vuln attacks would be really rough on someone who can't self-heal easily.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Vitamean posted:

they made the btn/min studium line for people like us

I wasn't too fond of the "cultural appropriation as foreplay" aspect, but that was only really heavy in the first quest and dialed it back afterward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pandaemonium needs 565? Boo, instead of going all in on one I focused on getting three jobs above 560.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

rest in peace, kings

Remember us... remember that we once polygonned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Augus posted:

P4 ruled
we’re just straight-up fighting Dracula now

Not only that, but our ally uses chain whips.