Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

re: bozja, I feel like I should go back there at some point, but...

I got there late by only finishing SHB after bozja hit, and so every time I tried to get into a party to do anything (necessary, I am Bad At Game) the party would inevitably break up after five or ten minutes as everyone left for Castrum, or the party would truck out into the later zones where I could not go, and I'd go back to base for another ten or twenty minutes until the next instanced encounter to link up with a party and repeat the process all over again.

everyone I tried to explain this to fell all over themselves to explain to me how easy the bozja grind was (most of the time their explanations were predicated on "running castrum," "being in later zones," or "having a party for a few hours," which, see above)

I can't remember the last time I went into bozja, and I've been stuck at rep level seven since dinosaurs roamed the earth

i also have extreme elixir syndrome about the items, especially since I have no idea which of any of them are worth using, but that's probably to be addressed after the whole "maybe get to level ten" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is in fact explained in the questline.

CJ at it again

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A Moose posted:

it would be kinda cool to see a scoreboard at the end of trials/raids with like, damage done, damage taken, damage healed, number of deaths/raises, number of vuln stacks, uptime etc per person

god no

one of the biggest things about world of warcraft for me was that I was terrified of doing multi-player content at all, because I'm bad at video games and easily depressed, and I'd heard that people were really uptight about being hardcore

so when I finally got it together enough to try a few dungeons, I very quickly found myself (when not actually getting kicked for not being up to the regulars' standards) getting to the ends of dungeons and someone's parser would dump the damage totals into party chat just so they could feel like a big man

and so even the positive emotion of success of getting into multiplayer content and finishing a dungeon, which I'd spent absolute ages avoiding, was immediately taken away from me. not only was I being told this was not a place for me, I'd still also just occasionally get kicked for no clear reason. and it's not as if I wasn't pushing my buttons. goddamn, did I have a lot of buttons to push, and I was paying rapt attention to my hotbars

so when people told me that ff14 was a place where people were nice about multiplayer content, it still took me weeks upon weeks to build up the nerve to start doing roulettes (I was, I think, up to MSQ level 32 on the old 35-max free trial before I started rouletting)

and I still get loving yelled at on a regular basis when tanking or healing because I don't know how to do these things effectively enough for some people

I'm not here to do savage or extreme or anything like that, I only do normal-level content (apart from the occasional unsynched extreme trial for catbook.) I'm not getting in anyone's way where they're the sort of person who can use a tool to learn where numbers are slipping in a tight fight, but making everyone's numbers publicly available in any situation does not do anything helpful for anyone except people who want an excuse to poo poo on other players. I don't care that "oh, the GMs are good, they'll ban the people involved." this isn't something the GMs should have to concern themselves with.

yes, I'm bad at video games. I don't think I can move my fingers any faster than I already do, so I'm probably going to stay bad at video games. If this game could be made entirely single-player, I would sign up for it in a loving heartbeat.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Erg posted:

don't the trust reworks mean this game is on the way to being 99.9% single player

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/ffxiv-trust-system-realm-reborn-heavensward-stormblood-msq/

e: they noted 8 man duties and above can't get that treatment so :shrug:

yeah, and it's pretty cool

and I don't mind doing some dungeons with other people sometimes, this is still way better than warcraft

but there's not a session where I'm healing that goes by that I'm not thinking of when I pushed white mage to 90 so I could do my role quests

(and this was mostly accomplished by roulette, which in turn meant that 90% of the instances I got would be level 50 or below)

until the time I was level 84 and got queued into the 83 trial, expecting yet another ifrit or something

it was a shitshow, because the number of instances I'd ever been in where I had skills higher than level fifty, I could probably count on both hands. I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, much less able to do it while doing those mechanics

idk. i know the response to this is "learn how your poo poo works," but I barely have time to play the game as is, let alone to sit through a bunch of youtube tutorials and go off somewhere and practice poo poo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The one main thing that I would point out that would color everyone else's takes (which I do agree with) as to how someone from outside would approach them

is that the story in this game is a real thing and that unlike warcraft and (presumably) other MMOs, is that here you are encouraged to play through the whole story from level 1 onwards. this isn't one of those cases where all the REAL story/game happens at level 90-99 and everything up to 90 is bullshit you either want to or are made to skip. people still talk about big story beats in this game from the earliest days (setting aside the 1.0/2.0 discussion for the moment) and square is doing a pretty good job of cleaning up the early content to make it streamlined for people so they're not (as) bogged down in old systems while still getting to experience the stories and characters and such

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

they should ramp up frontlines even more because each match feels like it lasts 15 minutes longer than it should but that mostly a node timers thing

ftfy

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

not to harp on the billboard thing, but it took me a minute for it to sink in that people were saying the outfit on one of the characters was datamined (it's been a lovely week, let's not get into it)

i can't even really see the outfits via the photo that went around, though i admittedly haven't sat down to tap rapidly on my keyboard and tell it to enhance repeatedly - do we know what the stuff is, and what it's intended for? (cash shop, panda 5-8, treasure map mats, etc?)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HackensackBackpack posted:

There isn't a new coffee cookie level is there? I haven't touched the ones in Sharlayan since I hit 90 on everything.

tea-making at 88 CUL is somewhat profitable in large quantities (I think when I dumped 100 leves down it last week it was something like 950k gross minus 225k mats for 725k net), but nothing like the cookies, no.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i did not get the memo (people did not suitably explain what unsynchronized meant and I was under the impression that the ex fights were different content (like current ultimates)) so I spent like a week queuing at level for hours on end to get ifrit ex

everyone who got into the eventual trial was extremely upset with me, especially when I ended up being a major cause of at least one of the wipes because I ran off towards the edge of the arena with a marker over my head...to where the healers were hanging out, unbeknownst to me

I'm not great at dealing with unknowns, and all I knew at that point in time was "this is how you queue for things," so I did

I also tend to play late at night because I work nights, so it's not as if anyone was awake to help on discord etc etc etc

once someone showed me how to do unsynchronized stuff and what it meant, it was fine, but there is just a lot of stuff in this game that goes underexplained.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I dropped a massive pile of gil on the varsity skirt last night because I couldn't get the material to drop and, playing an elezen lady, the long skirts are fine but the short skirts all make me look like I'm an adult shopping in the children's section - this is as far as I can tell the only properly mid-length skirt in the game

also, I'm running short hair 99% of the time.

I'd do a fancy gpose or something but I haven't logged in yet today, this is from last night when I was lamenting the cost because I am poor as poo poo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I keep telling myself to start going through gshade to start learning what presets I like and work well with what I want to do but that's basically like saying "go check every book in the library to see if it's something you want to read"

I want to get into fashion photography, the true endgame, but it's intimidatingly large as a topic

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I did CT before it was required and hit ShB long enough after that (I think just literally one or two patches before it became mandatory) that I completely forgot 99% of the CT plot and so at the time could not name or recognize anyone involved to save my life

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tank, if just so you die less

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

for people who want to glam up some lady swim trunks, you can do what I did and dye the shorts from the casual coffer a summery color (mine are bright yellow)

also, even though the coffers are still expensive (300k+ on the marketboard last night) and, pieced out, the top and shoes are even more expensive (200k a piece), the shorts are dirt-cheap: 8000 gil for a pair last night on one server on a different DC, low five figures on mine (13k iirc)

they're not the cool design the event ones have, but they work great for a functional beach look. I'd post some screens of it, but I'm at work rn

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have made it through stage 1

stage 2

and stage 3

of the real poo poo part of the climbing tower

anything past the second or third peg of stage 4 eludes me

and having fallen off again, I think that might be where I stay for the time being

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what the gently caress is a door boss

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fair enough

i have never savaged

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Now I just need 20 more glamour plates

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

I finally decided to try a new hair.

My WoL looks so wrong I'm fighting myself every moment to not run right back to the aesthetician. The fact that I cant even change my hair without my brain rebelling at my OC's redesign makes me wonder how the hell anyone can be a Fantasia addict...

i had the same hair up through like the shb patches, then decided that hanging onto only one hairstyle as "me" was kinda silly, especially as i spent time unlocking hairstyles by doing other content

and, yeah, a few of those changes i basically immediately flipped to something else because they didn't work for me, but now I've got a few different hairstyles and colors i bounce back and forth between as my whim
determines. 2k gil is just fine for a hairstyle.

i have never used a fantasia and probably never will.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there are definitely not enough dyes in this game

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the island (got to rank ten last night or the night before) was nice, but everyone saying that the optimization is easy and/or "just use the spreadsheet" and/or understands literally anything about planning a week and pivoting to this or that craft for more profit does not understand the casual mind and frankly I find it irritating to be told something is easy an then my eyes glaze over half a sentence into their explanation

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I might be able to help! I'm casual af!
doubtful

quote:

Is it plummeting and low?
is who what

quote:

Make that tomorrow.
today tomorrow or tomorrow tomorrow

quote:

Is it not moving and low?
is what who

quote:

Make that tomorrow. Done.
snideness aside for the moment, no, none of the stock market interface makes sense and idk how I'm supposed to be reacting to market changes but at the same time increasing groove when you only have three workshops, five days, and 35 to hit on the meter

i was not told my relaxing island getaway was going to require a bachelor's in econ

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the most annoying rescue I ever had to deal with was one time where I was tanking an alliance raid (void ark?) and I was pulling one of the halves of the split boss to the edge opposite the other tank like you do

and then I get rescued because I wasn't taking a convenient enough angle for some dickhead healer who had gone northwest instead of west like I did (or whatever, it's a round arena and it was like a 45 degree angle of difference)

it had exactly zero effect on the play or the situation, but it was infuriating because it was so unnecessary

like, clearly I am pulling the boss in the correct direction (to the edge), I have enough anxiety tanking, just let me do my job

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I see this a lot, and should probably post this in the newbie thread, buuuuuuut as a tank of 15 years across various games:

You are not made of glass and you have all the tools you need to do your job at a base level of competence.

my tanxiety doesn't come from the job, it comes from the other people in the instance yelling at me (or just going and pulling extras) for not pulling hard enough in dungeons where I know i don't want to wallpull. it comes from, like i described in that last post, getting rescued because I was doing the right thing but not precisely enough for other people's tastes. it comes from supposedly being the person who sets the pace but never being allowed to play at my own pace

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

I get the tank "setting the pace" thing, but remember that's it's a team effort. You can't see it on your bars but you're equipped with the most powerful mitigation of all: an entire person whose job is to keep you alive. If the healer is trying to get you to pull more then it's because they're confident they can keep you up regardless of what buttons you're pressing and also judged that you are actually playing just fine. They trust you and you should trust them.

i do trust the healer, but there are sections of dungeons I've done a shitload of times where I know for a fact overpulling will get us killed, and I slow down on those

this makes certain healers angry

but gently caress me for trying to apply my own experience to my gameplay, right?

some of those same dungeons, when I'm healing, I'll ask they slow down, before and after the inevitable wipe and get told to gently caress off and heal better

basically what the people in this game regularly tell me is that i should stick to a simple dps that can be safely ignored

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah, exactly this (e: not the post directly above this one that just appeared while I was writing)

also the one with the winter zombie barracks ambush which comes after several twisty hallways that immediately take a sprinting tank out of line of sight of the healer almost immediately (snowcloak? the other vigil? i don't remember)

i know people want to get out of roulettes fast, so do i, but like, jesus, i just got out of work, it's like 3 am and I'm not coked up like some of these jabbering idiots seem to be, just let me take the extra minute or two

but no, time to yell at the person with brain problems for being bad at vidya

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i mean, it's not really anything to do with what you're imagining people are seeing in your performance if they're literally there in party chat giving you poo poo about it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i do, obviously, but there are a lot of people who play this game and for as good as the community is, it is still a video game player by Gamers

especially at the dogshit hours i get to play because i work nights (yes i am posting from work right now, shhhh, don't tell my boss)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

dumb question time: about when (ballpark figure) are we looking at 6.3 happening?

i can never keep track of what the release cycle should be, let alone what it is

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Hell no. I mean the healer does what they can, but any tank who wallpulls those trouble spots is taking responsibility.

I've had healers give me poo poo for slow-tanking through there (mettle opening) and actually run ahead pulling extra poo poo

some people play too much video game

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

is it actually samurai plate, though, and not just another robe?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hogama posted:

Here's it modeled on a lady roegadyn.

yes, perfect

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

been playing some CC because it's an easier way to get crystals than suffering through twenty minutes of frontlines over and over again

but holy poo poo I am extremely bad at this

I don't even understand what it is I'm doing, other than respawning and dying the moment I make contact with the other team, repeatedly

like, in a great irony for how useless it inevitably is in frontlines, it would be great if someone could actually shotcall instead of having to use the chat buttons, because my teams could use something like a player/coach who can actually point out where things are going wrong, instead of what I usually see, which is my team running out there, watching the other team get on the crystal, and then them absolutely slaughtering us for the next five minutes

and times when we actually do play aggressively, we still get immediately annihilated, it just means we also get 5% of the push instead of 0%

I also am absolutely not helping, usually winding up with more deaths than assists and zero kills, but gently caress if I know what I'm doing

also is it just me or is the scoreboard, with its red and blue maybe not meaning the same as the red and blue on your screen and the left and right being wonky because the meters are here but the percentages are there and it's absolutely a pain to read without staring at it for long enough that oops you got killed again

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Monarch posted:

I wonder what the point of Tataru's grand whatever is going to be, because at the moment running around being her travelling salesman feels a bit beneath the WoL.

And I guess everyone is running regular Sil'dihn solo? I ran the left path solo but wanted to do the others in a group, but every time I queue I get hit with a 20+ minute queue time. There being basically no rewards doesn't help I'm sure...

I got one path done solo, tried another and completely ate poo poo on the boss (#12), got help with an additional path elsewhere, ten to go and I never have enough time to ask people to back my stupid rear end up

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i don't wear a title

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i occasionally want to try coloring my chocobo but made the mistake of giving them a name that implies a yellow or yellowy color and think the name is pretty ace as these things go

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think once we've created 13 subthreads, some sadlads who miss their posting friends can begin a long campaign to get them all closed

goldmine, nothing further

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kharmakazy posted:

I am unable to parse any good or bad news from that information.

"just keep playing, you'll get there"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the aoe doesn't chain with the single target, that's your problem

doesn't matter if you have only one aoe button at your level, just keep hammering it in the middle of packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh my god