Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Eimi posted:

Endwalker never came together as a coherent whole for me, even if some of the individual pieces are brilliant. However I can at least say reaper might be the most fun job.

Also the hottest dude is Emet-Selch with no competition. No idea how they managed to make him hotter but they did.

How can you say that when Hythlodaeus exists? His dreaminess exceeds all measurements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

As someone whose trying to make it to zones 5 and 6 without spoilers due to how I see goons hyping it up, can anyone tell me without spoilers why it's so :holkyfuck: for people?

I mean... no, not really.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

The biggest failings of Endwalker are( general story, not really spoilers) Nero has no lines and we don’t get the Cid/Nero on-screen kiss.

He doesn't have any voiced lines but you can talk to him a couple times during certain quests.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I am curious to learn more about the alliance raids now that we got more of a hint about Pandaemonium. Presumably there's also going to be a Four Lords/Werlyt equivalent too but I'm not sure if they've talked about that at all yet.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

i think they are saving this for the 8 man raid series

On the one hand, I think it's unlikely those two characters will play much of a role in the 8-man raids considering it seems like they're going to be based in Elpis. On the other hand, why the gently caress not?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

You could always just park yourself on the island sanctuary and pretend this is the WoL's life now.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Popoto posted:

But that’s not a cosmic horror for me. It’s just life. Things die out. It’s normal. We’re all gonna die here too. Humanities days are counted, whether it’s a century or a millennia more. The explanation rings hollow for me. I get that many might find the natural order horrific, including the writers most likely for making Meteion the big bad that way (as it seems for now), but that’s where I get pulled out of my immersion.

It feels a bit rushed, and not as thought out as the story in ShB. In any case, I’ll be back once I finish the expansion with my thoughts on the whole thing, including the previous expansions. Maybe things will fit better once I have the whole picture.

There's thousands of years of human history, art and writing, entire schools of philosophy, and religion in general, that are all about how to deal with life, death, suffering, what's the point of living in the face of an uncaring universe, etc. That's great that sort of thing doesn't bother you, but it's clearly an extremely common concern for basically every culture on earth throughout all of recorded human history, not just the writers. You don't have to like the story obviously, but clearly "that's just life, get over it" by itself isn't a satisfactory answer or comfort for people in general.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Those were a thing?

Oh yeah, in here and elsewhere. There wasn’t anything in particular in the game to actually support it, but ”Emet was Amon” and “Emet was Xande” were fairly popular fan theories. The truth is so much better though. I do wonder how much time Yoship and crew spent laughing at all of our dumbass theories leading up to EW.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Makes me wonder if Fandaniel being Amon was them trying to intentionally subvert things.

I wondered that, but it makes sense as it is. We’ve all seen how Amon dressed and how Fandaniel acted, of course they turned out to be the same person.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Gearhead posted:

We already know the answer to this: After the Allag unlocked the secret of growth magic from Sephirot, it became trendy to be huge. This is actually where Gigas come from, people who were stuck as gigantic after the empire fell and the tech to reverse it collapsed. Subsequent generations mutated.

This is seriously the funniest thing. No, it’s not that they were genetically engineered to be used as slave labor or some other awful experiment, it was just loving cool to be huge. If anything tells you the Allagans were hosed up, it’s this.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The loporrits are great, always enjoyed when Livingway came in and said anything on screen cause its always fun.

Like when *minor end spoilers* She comes in after you wake up from the final battle and she's like "Oh those were cries of joy! " . Like she was full expecting you to be dead and how nonchalant she was refreshing given the gravity of the scene.

Livingway's VA is the MVP of this expansion. Just total perfection.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

There hasn't been any serious patch delays since 5.3 when they were moving everything over to working from home. Outside of that, things have been on a pretty similar schedule to past releases. Obviously, delays can still happen, but I don't see any reason to think there's going to be a 6+ month wait for 6.1 right now.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Countblanc posted:

What is ostensibly promised for 6.1? PvP changes, alliance raid, was there anything else? Was island sanctuary slated for 6.1 or just a nebulous "after 6.0"?

They said island sanctuary was starting with 6.1, which means it's probably 6.15.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It would be nice if you could play as any race from the beginning, but I think it's pretty obvious why the free trial doesn't let you.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I bought the vermillion robe purely for glamour purposes. I'm thinking about doing the same for the osode, but I can't decide which job I should buy it for. The robe's useful for the hour or so I spend in Eureka every 6 months or whatever.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For some reason one of my clearest memories of this thread was someone complaining about getting kicked for msq roulette idling and they got dogpiled and never posted again

Yeah, that was a good one. They kept complaining about how “unchill” everyone was for expecting them to actually play the game. That poster went on to become a mod, but not for Games thankfully.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They also recently changed the Moenbryda minion description to something less creepy and gross. I’m sure I could find a bunch of people whining about that if I cared to look.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I doubt Riot’s MMO is going to result in a bunch of super invested FF fans dropping FFXIV and moving over, but it probably will for the more casual side of the audience. Whether they stay or not is the question. There’s plenty of people playing this game that don’t particularly care about the story and the fact that it’s Final Fantasy. They just want a well-made modern MMO to play that doesn’t take a year to update. Currently this game is number one in that regard but it doesn’t mean it always will be. FFXIV is by no means a perfect game and thinking the current player base is so devoted they’ll never stray, especially for a Riot MMO!? (lol ew), is a pretty unrealistic viewpoint.

I doubt YoshiP is that dumb though, so as long as the management is good I don’t think the game has anything to worry about in the long term even if the player base gets reduced some.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Riot has actually made successful games that people play, whereas Amazon’s game department is one trash fire after another. Amazon’s whole strategy really did seem to be to just spend a poo poo ton of money and not much else.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cid’s a pretty beefy dude.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I love FF12 and was really excited when it was announced Matsuno would be writing stuff. But the stuff he ended up writing was boring as hell. I don't even dislike it exactly, it's just impossible for me to care about any of it. I don't fault the dude for giving his OC super special echo powers and trying to set her up with Cid, but I ain't interested. The whole thing was just a little too separate from the rest of the game and didn't mesh that well overall. I wouldn't mind if Lilja showed up again though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, if he’s really not available they’ll just recast him. They aren’t going to change the story because one out of the four VAs for a character isn’t able to do it.

A lot of actors do VA stuff on the side though, even pretty well-known ones. I doubt it’s that much of a time commitment.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I'm gonna be real, they probably don't bother addressing it because not enough people care. The only time I ever hear anything about this elemental stuff is from this thread. I wouldn't have ever known about it otherwise.

Agreed, it really doesn’t seem like they even consider it a plot point that needs to be addressed or solved. I’ve certainly never seen the “elementals are bloodsucking landlords that need to be destroyed or put in their place” discourse anywhere else but here, that’s for sure.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

saying we need to kill all the elementals because they're landlords is definitely only a take you could get from cspam

I haven’t even seen it on twitter and that’s saying something. It’s elemental-hating city over here, I guess.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They just need to be viewed through the “sad dad” lens and people will come around.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Phone Number is a goon and probably would have crafted that for you for much cheaper than whatever you paid buying it off the market board.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm <Dan>

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I'm guessing the lost decade recognition around Ala Mhigo is probably right alongside the Elementals being recognized as essentially classical kami as 'poo poo that went over all our heads'.

Don’t forget the 60-70 samurai quests and Venat’s ending too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

What does this even mean?

Also that article is pretty funny since every single one of those has been in Final Fantasy before. I think all 3 are in Final Fantasy VII for example.

Presumably Koji Fox. The man can write a good pun, but he can also write a lot of weird unnecessary sex things. Some of which have been removed fortunately.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

flatluigi posted:

there's a spoiler thread?

yeah, but i wouldn't venture in there unless you're completely caught up

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Basically all new people realize there's a strong possibility of being spoiled when they're reading a thread for any ongoing media, be that a game, tv show, or whatever. I think people could be more considerate about current patch stuff, but beyond that it's hard to draw a line because there's always going to be new people who aren't at that point yet. If someone going through ARR reads some 6.2 spoilers they aren't even going to know what the hell any of that's about anyway.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It's time to finally implement the FFXIV subforum, along with sub-subforums for each expansion and sub-sub-subforums for the patches and individual threads for each main quest. And probably a general discussion thread to pull it all together.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

G’raha is ok now. I was not a fan of post Exarch ShB G’raha, but thankfully the writers have dialed his annoying dog/crush/hero worship aspect back a bit. But I really hope he takes a backseat for a while moving forward. At least in the MSQ, he can still be involved in side content. Same with the twins, they’re cool and all but I’m glad they’re not major players in the current story and didn’t appear at all until 6.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Why is the complaining about spoilers never from newbies upset about being spoiled and always from other people complaining on behalf of the hypothetical newbies who are upset about being spoiled?