Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I just got back into the game and hit level 83 in the story and the first trial, and if I never hear another antagonist say some variation of "you've fallen right into my trap!" that'd be great. like every time I do anything he just likes to appear and be all "my entire plan revolved around you doing that exact thing!". Its maybe the worst thing in all of fiction and at this point I think he's just making it up as he goes along and just says that to annoy me. I think I'd even prefer him just giving me the Ozymandias speech from the end of Watchmen, at least acknowledging I could have done anything about it.

Also for some reason the rotating platform mechanic in the trial breaks my brain. I got the circle AoEs down but I might never really understand how the snakes work without following someone else. like I've read how it works, I know what it does but its like the larboard/starboard thing from Omega where there's 2 different levels of thought (which way is he hitting, and then which way is he facing) and I only have time to make it through 1 of those thoughts before I have to move and sometimes I move the right way by accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

the fight after the level 90 trial is hilarious I did it as BLM, so it was bunch of inept flailing while the story had to pretend I was actually putting up a fight because I'm like 90% sure the outcome is pre-determined. Or at least Zenos only had half as many health bars as I did

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, going through endwalker leveling dungeons, DRK is by far the squishest. I don't know if its because everyone is bad at it, or they're just straight up missing a mitigation button, but I do basically 0 dps healing a DRK. A MNK could probably do as much. After a big pull, if the DPS is slacking, I need to stop and wait for cooldowns, completely negating the purpose of big pulls.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CJ source your quotes! this has gone on long enough!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Someone with a botnet is mad they can't log in with steam I guess

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

iPodschun posted:

This is the opener I use because I think going Inner Chaos, Inner Chaos, Primal Rend is great. I also like Tomahawk as my opener because for positioning I let the boss come to where I'm at rather than charging in then having to move it back toward the party.

I want bigger axes. I also want to hold two comically oversized axes at the same time.

I also want a large frying pan as a weapon glam

as weird as it sounds, a frying pan would probably be a DRK weapon, because you'd most likely be smacking someone with the flat part, instead of the edge.

I like how WAR is branched out to hammers now too. I think they should get a giant morningstar next

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was tanking the level 87 dungeon for the first time last night to level up my WAR, and after the first pack, the healer lets me know its ok to do bigger pulls. Unfortunately, I've only done it once as a healer before so I don't actually know which packs I can grab together and where all the stopping places are. For example I see a pack of trash, with a long empty hallway behind them and just stop at that pack. And then after we kill that, more guys spawn that I could have grabbed. So I tell the group its my first time tanking it and if they wanna pull some more trash for me, I won't get mad, which was met with general amusement. Worked out fine though, the BRD even called out "incoming!" while running back with some more guys I could have pulled. I felt a little under-geared, but since I'm a WAR, between Bloodwhetting and Holmgang I'm literally invulnerable for a decent chunk of time.

I have noticed that the gear scaling seems much more gentle than in past expansions. in shadowbringers and stormblood, if you were still rocking tomestone gear at x6 x7, you'd get splattered pretty quick. Like when you see a tank wearing level 60 tomestone gear in Bardam's Mettle you know you're in for a bad time. My war was 87 then, and I noticed I hadn't upgraded from any of my ~530 gear from shadowbringers, so I found a level 86 gear vendor and bought a set of white gear... which turned out to be worse than everything I was wearing. I even had a 510 Bozja piece that outclassed level 86 vendor gear with 5 empty sockets! I did get 1 drop from the 87 dungeon that was a pretty large upgrade from what I was wearing, but yeah, gear seems to last longer than it did in the past.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I had the fun experience recently of using Ironworks gear throughout a 50-60 leveling experience.

Because I never once rolled a HW dungeon in leveling roulette.

The best is when you get exactly ONE HW dungeon, near the end

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

you know, people don't really talk much about how good Y'shtola is at killing blasphemies, considering she can not see them!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Twibbit posted:

Time to get Nerdy, For the first time in multiple years I have the free time to participate in the Grindstone.

Grindstone is an RP Fight tournament ran every Saturday night in Balmung. I used to be a regular attendee before work changed my hours. To celebrate I thought I would do an After Action Report of my fights. The battles are pure RNG by the way, so it is more an exercise in crafting a narrative that fits what the /random told us.

My first match was against a Roe Warrior by the name of Red Quake. I was not yet thinking to take a ton of screenshots to take extensive notes so this is going by memory.

Yolo had won initiative and charged in first to the side and spun around to swing the greatsword to the back of her knees, (Grindstone does not let you use any of your cool aetherical abilities, and they don't like it if you point out that using your muscles uses Aether), Red Quake then lifter herself off the ground doing a wide axe swing at me as she did so, I was sent skidding off to the side before charging back in trying to slide beneath her legs to get behind her, only for her to catch me by the back of my sharlyan fending jacket, and lift me to the sky to try and power slam me into the ground. The dice said that I was to get out of this unharmed somehow... So Yolocaza lifter her arms straight up and well,

How undignified, anyways Red then swings her axed down towards me where Yolo then sidestepped it entirely and hilt jabbed her in the wrist ending the fight.

Next up was the man bunn Ragnar Akuma as a Samurai

He at first ran up towards me and just kicked me backwards, Yolo braked herself by digging her sword into the ground. then rand back towards him before using her sword to pole vault a double foot kick towards his face, alas he caught me out of the air and like Red he tried throw me into the ground. Yolo managed to squirm herself into position and wrap her legs around his arm and not let go until she managed to first swing my sword down towards him, he chose to describe the hit with a massive blood spray which was not my intention.
He then dropped to the ground and Yolo then swung the flat of her blade at the back of his knee making him kneel. He then forgot his sword entirely and tried to swing clawed gauntlets right at me, But Yolo simply took a step back before swinging the flat of her blade down upon his skull knocking him out.

The next match went to an acrobatic Gladiator who is totally not a paladin named Kataj Ravel.

Yolocaza won initiative again and buldozed through her legs during a charge, Kataj got back onto their feet rather quickly and proceeded to striker her blade down hard into Yolo's shoulder. As she loses the grip of her sword with her dominant hand from the pain she tries yet fails to deliver a gutpunch to Kataj. This led to Yolo receiving an axe kick down to the same shoulder slamming her down into a 3 point stance, Yolo proceeds to shove her self back onto her feet and attempt a one armed sword swing at her oponent only for that to fail as well. Kataj then grabs Yolo with both hands and proceeds to try to powerbomb the lalafell. Yolo's sword left behind in the dust as she is spun towards the ground but she still manages to maneuver herself to land on her feet, she then decides to fight like the thaumaturge she actually is, by fighting dirty, as they are still close together from the failed powerbomb Yolocaza flat out grabs her hair and delivers a throat punch. The next hit from either of them would win the fight! Alas Yolocaza is the one to receive a headbut and be knocked out cold

and that was my night. Don't worry, I don't intend to do these write ups again. I was just happy to get some RP in again after so long.

I saw someone yelling about boxing matches on Coeurl, how do those work? I figure I need to, since I'm playing the biggest, baldest roe named Punch Rockgroin so it should at least be entertaining for people.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CJ posted:

Which phys ranged job is the most braindead? There's currently 3 P4S groups in party finder waiting for one to join so i might as well learn how to play one to help balance the roles.

I wouldn't play any, they all have class quests :(

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I started playing NIN really late in shadowbringers, and it was a lot of fun! I liked the mudras, Raiton is a kickass ability that you get really early, just feels good to hit with it. You get some really big damage numbers, and you have just enough range that you can move away from the boss and still hit it for a bit. I sat in front of a target dummy for like 45 minutes just practicing the opening burst, and when you get it right you feel like a god. I heard it got some new abilities to shove into the opener in endwalker though... did they need to make it harder?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just hit 90 on a tank, healer and DPS, now its time to level crafters. Its so wild that you literally don't have to upgrade from pentamelded aesthete's gear. That poo poo's good for a whole extra patch.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Also, Syrcus Tower has Amon's hat. That's an important reason to run that.

How do people gently caress up Bone Dragon?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I went with Byregot, and then ended up getting really into crafting so that worked out I guess!

Would be pretty cool if he made all my blue gear suddenly HQ, at least for the fight

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I finally remembered to ask this, what happened with treasure maps since Endwalker? Gliderskin maps are like 45k, but the level 90 ones are like 14k. Why are the Shadowbringers solo maps so expensive now?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think that DRK isn't THAT bad, especially when played competently, but oh my god you do NOT want to see one in a post 70 leveling dungeon. Those fuckers will try to die in the space of a global cooldown. You will be chain-casting GCD heals and double weaving ogcds between and they won't use any defenseives and still die. Or, you'll just barely pull through, but then they'll charge into the next pack and you won't have any cooldowns left and they still won't use any of theirs and either blame you or be "drk is broken, this is just how they are deal with it"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

You can be the best healer in the world, but if they lose more hp in the cast time of benefic 2 plus Celestial Intersection than those skills restore, that trash pull is not going to end well. Idk if they're all standing in orange, or have level 1 glamour gear equipped or DRK is just that bad, but I've never had that much of a problem with any other tank. I also don't see a lot of living dead, so maybe its more that DRK players just don't use defensive cooldowns. I see the occasional TBN but maybe thats because it lets them do more damage. They're generally squishy enough that even if they pop TBN at full HP, I'd better start casting a benefic 2 because they'll be at 75% at best by the time the cast finishes

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I have to wonder if the reason that only 25% of the houses are for individuals is that they took the current % of houses owned by FCs and went from there. I wouldn't be surprised to find out 75% of houses are currently owned by FCs, considering that's the only way to re-sell a house, and you could have multiple people clicking on the sign compared to just 1 person trying to get it as an individual.

Reddit is yelling about how this is the end of private individuals owning houses, but I think that ship has sailed long ago.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

RIP to anyone hoping for meaningful MCH buffs, with those little potency increases, I think someone mathed it out to... a 2.39% dps increase. Still rock bottom DPS

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I suppose they justify it by MCH being really really easy to play, so a bad MCH will do more dps than a bad BLM or whatever

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

When the healer dies with the boss at 50%, why does the tank always try to solo the boss to death over 20 minutes?

Also yes, in the new dungeon, always blame y'shtola

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Has anyone read any of the notes in the Dead Ends? I've googled for 10 or so minutes and found nothing. I just look at them as my party goes running by, there's probably some cool lore in there...

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Dragongem posted:

if I had a star for every game my team was leading like 80% to 0% and lost, I legit might be in gold. I've seriously led so many games and had it fall away because my team doesn't get "reset". My team needs to listen to "regroup!" :(

This ranking system feels SO awful with how much the game depends on your team being somewhat competent.

This is an amazing avatar+post combo

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

reporting for duty!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just did the new alliance raid, bosses seem weirdly small for alliance raid bosses. Under 24 people's spell effects its basically impossible to see small details like which half of the arena is going to get walloped. Even if you know what to look for you probably won't see it unless you turn off all spell effects.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's hosed up I can't buy any flowers from this NPC

They're already sold, she's just waiting for the customer to pick them up!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I still want Dun Scaith housing. That place looks pretty sick and we already cleared out most of the voidsent, shouldn't be too hard to go back and clear out the rest!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, what kind of crafting gear/melds do you need to start gathering the materials for pactmaker gear? it seems like some amount of overmelding is necessary to meet the perception requirement for the node bonuses but I'm not gonna pentameld gear I'm just about to replace.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I feel like something in my brain is broken, I literally cannot puzzle out what macrocosmos says it does. What does "storing" damage mean, does it hit me then go into the stored damage bank, or is Macrocosmos a 50% damage reduction while its up?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've done exactly 4 CC's so far as AST, and it feels pretty good, I get an instant-ish AoE heavy, the cards are powerful, I get a regen and a heal, and I just try to cast and not die and I've won 3 of my first 4. LB is pretty too, and reduces damage enemies do and increases damage we do.

I really like the dualcast mechanic that AST gets, its a blank spell that copies the last spell you cast, but buffed, and you get 2 charges of it

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

just tried out warrior for the first time in CC. Why doesn't everyone play this? 6-1-25 in my first casual game. My 1 death was because I forgot to hotkey recuperate when I set up my WAR bars.

Also: AST's LB is basically a giant flashbang, which is good, but not if your team isn't ready for it

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Warrior definitely reminds me of playing Leona in LoL. Whenever I played her, I'd constantly be asking myself "why am I not diving the enemy team right now?" and as soon as I couldn't find a good reason not to, it was go time! Usually, I would click the healer's name to target them, cast bloodwhetting, jump, cyclone, purify, orogeny, walk back out to my team unless they followed me in, in which case the healer was immediately dead and we won the fight. I feel like people don't immediately realize that you can click the enemy team's names on the bottom right.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've noticed that AST is maybe the least fight-y healer. Like I was 1v1ing with a friend to help them test stuff out and wow, I do basically 0 damage. I don't think I can out-damage people's MP regen. During team fights, I'm throwing out Aspected Benefics and double casts, using cards on cooldown, using Macrocosm on cooldown, making sure to know where my teammates are and try to shield whoever is currently being focused, being with the group so I can buff them with cards/macrocosm/limit break, and if I ever have a break from all that, I'll Gravity+double cast to put a heavy on the enemy team. If fights drag on, since you won't let your team die, but they're not very good at killing, you might eventually run out of charges of everything and get a chance to cast Malefic, but it doesn't feel good, even with the cooldown refund on double cast.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

S.J. posted:

I was thinking about rocking a bunch of casual games to help level my AST since I don't generally like healing in PvE as much, but are they actually good at keeping their team alive and debuffing the enemy, you think? That's good enough for me to try it out.

e: They seriously should add some of the PvP MCH stuff into their PvE toolkit. Heat blast sucks and should go away imo

Pretty light on the debuffs. As far as I can tell, the only one you have is if you cast Gravity, and then copy it with double cast, which puts a 75% Heavy on the main target and any others in a 5y radius, so you won't be locking anyone down, though it is good if you either get someone separated, or hit multiple targets before they engage on you, to give your team time to engage on your terms.

The shield from double casting Aspected Benefic is pretty chunky and can stop someone from getting focused down, at least long enough for them to Purify + Recuperate, and sometimes you want to cast it on yourself then follow it up with recuperate.

Because of your cards, Macrocosmos, and LB, you want to stick close to the fight, but you don't want to be in front of your team getting focused, so your positioning matters a lot.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I like how FFXIV pvp scratches that moba itch without the feedback loop of the winning team getting stronger so they can keep winning and keep getting further ahead. It means your team can identify a threat on the other team and start prioritizing them, or realize they need to wait for backup before going back in, and you can pull off some nice rallies, and come from behind or at least draw matches that you were losing.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Didn't CJ admit their gimmick was just posting hot takes from some chan site? Or can people just not resist taking the bait

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Au Ra are libertarians

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

You know, I don't think people give bots enough credit. Crafting would be basically impossible without a supply of cheap fire crystals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

While probably not the absolute most purely efficient time to gil investment, mining and botany retainers can bring back 120 crystals per 40 minutes. I send them for those if I have nothing I want from them at the moment or if I'm getting desperately low.

Yeah, but if you use The Giving Land and The Twelve's Bounty with your extra attempt skill you can get more than that every like, 3 minutes. The problem is that if you craft a bunch of the highest level CUL white scrip recipe, you can blow through like 300 crystals in way less time than it took to gather the materials, and you need a TON of white scrip to get the materia you need to craft 2 star stuff if you don't want to buy it.

I've been having my BTN retainer go farm the level 70-80 materials you need for CUL collectables, like the honey chips from Rak'tika and the wheat from Kholusia, since they bring back 50 at a time. I have my WAR retainer go hunt for Ovibos Milk (for the purple scrip CUL recipe) because he brings back 12 at a time and I think its more efficient than farming bicolor gems or just farming the mobs themselves