Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I demand the mods honor our wish to give one final title to the Shadowbringers thread: "Remember us. Remember that we once shitposted."

Please, please this. God drat what a good sendoff for a good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've been pretty pleased with only doing Critical Engagements in Bozja. I just chill and do other poo poo until I hear the CE noise then go hammer out a bossfight. Idk how the EXP is or if I'm wasting my time, but it's fun!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Gathering chat: Honestly DoL seems really underwhelming this expansion. I didn't play Shadowbringers, to my great chagrin, but when I played Stormblood I was absolutely raking in the dough doing aethersand reduction and fishing, and now it seems like basically all gathered materials are essentially worthless (at least on Sargatanas). Looking at the recipes for crafted raid gear, something like 80% of the cost is from tomestone materials, and it's just like "drat, what's even the point when I could just mindlessly spam Praetorium for way more money." The only thing I've found at all profitable was fishing and selling levequest fish, but even those are tanking across the board. Aethersands are essentially worthless right now too.

Bozja Castrum chat: If you can get 8 people together who have three brain cells each, Castrum is really easy, ime. Especially if you call mechanics and explain bosses for people as you go (even just regurgitating a guide is enough for most folks to get the hang of stuff, ime). I learned Castrum with a group of like 10 people with like six first timers and one experienced person explaining stuff as we went, and since then the Castrums I've gone to that had tons of people were complete clusterfucks and the ones I've gone to that were smaller were extremely easy. Last night I did a Castrum with 9 people total and the Echo effects were wild, we all had around triple health and it seemed like we completely melted every boss with few/no casualties.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tyberius posted:

Updated my Paglth'an Summoner look with the recently farmed Darklight gloves/boots. Well worth the 30+ runs for them to drop.

yo thats a dope as poo poo glam, good work

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It'd be kinda cool to have those cut quests as sidequests instead of MSQ, rather than just having them be gone entirely

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How do I not suck at Lost Actions? I'm pretty lost looking at this giant fuckoff menu of weird abilities

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I think if you skip the side content it's probably closer to 30-40 hours for the x.0 and then another 10-20 for the x.1-x.5, per expansion

I think this is a pretty good estimate of the time to play through the MSQ. A friend of mine started playing FF14 about three months ago and has done basically nothing but play MSQ so far and it took him 360 hours to play ARR-EW, and EW is around the amount of story as an x.0-x.3 set of quests.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I actually found DNC to be a hard class for me because I end up spending my time staring at my ability buttons looking for procs and miss mechanics.

Adding an extra hotbar near the middle of your screen (I'd go like 3-4 inches left/right on your monitor from where your character stands) at like 160% scale w/ your proc buttons on it might help. Reducing how far your eyes have to travel to check poo poo you need to check every two seconds is really helpful.

I absolutely can't do proc-based classes without a special UI element to help me notice procs or I do the same thing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Erg posted:

Does GC turn in exp slow down at some point? I’m still mid 50s and it seems like a HQ gets you more than a level

Vermain posted:

There's no real rush with new master recipes being a fair ways out, so I'd honestly recommend doing it via Beast Tribes instead. I got all my crafters to 70 doing that, and probably would've taken them to 80 if Dwarves dropped sooner. I had a little routine where I'd log on in the morning and do my dailies with a cup of coffee, and it was a pretty relaxing experience. It'll take a couple of months, but it's a much saner way of getting them to 90 if you find the process of crafting while listening to a podcast interminably dull.

For both of these, would y'all be willing to elaborate a little on these things? I'm kinda wanting to get into crafting but it's a really intimidating game system and I constantly feel like I'm loving up basically always.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Healers can also get spoiled by warriors who know how to use their buttons. Warriors never really need to be healed in dungeons.

I struggle to keep my HP up terribly long on big pulls between RI/BWs, how are you keeping from just getting chiseled down over time during the 17s you have between big self healy-times? I feel like I help the healer a lot on my warrior with woryor shenanigans, but not enough that I basically never really need to be healed. But also I suck at warrior so :v:

Harrow posted:

Put a gun in your sword, join the explosion squad

People always want gunswords, I want a gunshield. Let me shield bash someone with a shotgun blast, please and thank you.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Monster Hunter Charge Blade, but it's shield and gun and you assemble them together into a braced machine gunshield and DAKKA DAKKA

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

First things first - make sure your gear is up to date.

For dungeon pulls, I pop bloodwhetting right after I get the big pack together. Right after that I'll pop arm's length. The combo of the slow from arm's length plus the self heal and shield from bloodwhetting will keep you really from dropping from near max hp. After the second big self heal I'll pop rampart. As my HP hits around 50% (which is now around 7-8 seconds left on the bloodwhetting cooldown) I'll pop equilibrium and thrill of the battle. Those will heal me to near max, and the HoT from equilibrium is enough to basically carry me over until bloodwhetting is off of cooldown. If you have good dps with you, the pack is already dead and you save bloodwhetting for the next pull. On pull 2, I'll usually start with vengeance up front (since arm's length is on cooldown) and toss on a rampart if things are spicy. In either case, if I'm worried at all and don't have a healing button ready, I'll pop shake it off which gives you a 15% hp shield that is boosted even more if you have thrill up.

You've got a pretty robust toolkit on warrior.

I feel like an outrageous moron for not realizing I should use Arm's Length as a mitigation cooldown :doh:

How long has that Slow effect been on there? I swear to god if you say since before Stormblood I'm going to be extra mad, I tanked so much in late Heavensward and early Stormblood.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just buy materia with purps. Crafted gear is better and that aethersand price is robbery.

Aethersand prices make me cry bitter, salty tears at gil I invested into them pre-patch, hoping foolishly that prices would go up. Instead 95% of the price of crafted gear is just from the mats you have to spend tomestones to get, and aethersands are nearly worthless :sigh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh thank god I feel way less stupid, I missed all but the tail end of Shadowbringers (to my enormous chagrin) to MMO burnout.

Thank you for the info!! Having another really strong tank cooldown for dungeons is awesome, I only ever used it to cheese boss knockback effects.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There's also the fact those numbers are implying optimal play. As a SMN I've been outDPSing bad BLM, everyone whom I parsed with. Ultimately just play your job well and hit GDCs and you'll be fine with everything but Savage.

Is stuff in Savage actually tuned so tightly on the DPS checks that a 9% difference in optimal output matters? I can't imagine it is for anything but World First racing. Like, not yucking anyone's yums - play what you find fun, and if anyone finds it more fun to always play whatever is theoretically the most powerful, have at it. I tend to reactively push back against it just because a lot of randoms will go "REEE SUB OPTIMAL" and kick people for playing the 'wrong' class when the real problem is people parsing grey and putting out less than half the potential damage their class can do.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Endorph posted:

i dont think anyone really does this near as much as people say they do tbh, also reee is a lovely meme

from a few pages back, but my bad

I always associated it with videos of frogs screeching like maniacs at mild provocation and didnt put it together with 4channy ableist poo poo until i went looking into 'wait why does this suck.'

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

we lost real thiccness in the 1.x-2.x shift and it has never returned. all the junk in the trunk lost to time forever. there is no cake in eorzea in the same way there is an overabundance of cake in pixar moms.

Zenos would have words with you. Absolute dump truck cake right there

(Mild Stormblood spoiler)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm a very bad paladin and frequently clip my dots terribly because I autopilot to "okay Requiescat's done time to hit Goring Blade combo :)"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it a stormblood spoiler??

Oh rip I thought I was posting in the LP thread, spoiler policy there is pretty broad, and with good reason!

Hah, fool that I am.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
the best part about old dungeons is when you can pull 4+ packs and make your healer friend screech in panic over voice comms

its not wall to "however much i can handle" and im gonna find that second wall come hell or high water

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Does it get less RNG heavy as time goes on? Because right now I really dislike that job, and the discussion about the class from the other day doesn't help.

The thing that absolutely rules about fishing is that you can do rod fishing entirely by the audio queues. Turn off everything but Sound Effects, turn them up loud, put on some Netflix (with the volumes set right so you can clearly hear the fishing queues over whatever you're watching) or a game you can pause easily, or even do some WFH, and you can fish to your heart's content with minimal attention paid.

I leveled FSH 1-70 in Stormblood and made a fortune doing it and spent, at most, a tenth of the time I was fishing actually paying attention to the game. It'd be even better if I could figure out a way to get commands to FF14 without having to alt tab (like, I'd love to be able to hit ctrl+shift+Z to cast and ctrl+shift+X to hook without having the game up - could you do that TOS legally with autohotkey? I think it's within the spirit of "don't bot" because it's one action per button press, but idk), but even now I mostly just know what the different catches sound like and can fish by ear by alt tabbing quickly and hitting the appropriate key to hook or double hook and whatnot. The only problem with this method is that monster and mount noises are included in this, so if you crank your SFX super high and someone starts fighting something on top of you, it's drat loud.

And as far as RNG, it never completely goes away but you gain increasingly powerful tools to tip the scales in your favor. You can force repeat-catches of fish, you can force fish off the catch table, and appropriate selection of bait, time, and weather can also tip the scales. Personally I just worry about bait and mostly stick to fish you can catch regardless of weather and time of day, or at most will go for fish that can be caught during common time/weather combos. I loathe the idea of going after fish that you can catch for ten minutes of every real life day, but I also know for a fact there are people who love chasing those fish, and more power to them. Fishing is genuinely a highly varied gathering class and you can semi-afk ear fish, actively chase uncommon weather combos for big money catch windows, pursue wild completionist stuff with ten minutes per month catch windows, do QTE spearfishing (it's really fun!), or go Fish Raiding in the ocean.

For an example of manipulating the RNG, one of my favorite moneymakering fish is a Medium Tug (!!) fish, in a pool where there's two Light Tug (!) and two Medium Tug fish that can be caught there. The medium tug I don't want is far more common, but with Surface Slap you can drive a fish off the catch table until you catch a fish, and with Identical Cast you can guarantee you'll hook the same fish a second time. So I can fish until I get the lovely medium tug, reel that sucker in, Surface Slap it off the catch table, then fish by ear while I do other stuff until I get another Medium Tug (if you don't Hook the light tugs, your Surface Slap stays in effect and the lovely medium tug fish stays gone, so the next Medium Tug I get is 100% guaranteed to be my moneymaker fish), pop Triple Hook to catch 3x money fish, then hit Identical Cast and wait until I get GP back, cast my line again and I'm guaranteed to get another money fish on the line and can safely Triple Hook it as well. Like, yes, technically I'm still at the whims of RNG if the game decides to throw me an endless string of light tug hooks, but I don't really mind because I'm fishing for volume of fish caught and it's chill enough that I'm pretty content to just fish for a while until I get what I want. And I think it's really fun to do my research and figure out how to wrangle RNG better to suit my needs.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also leveling fishing by just fishing up a ton of levequest fish then selling them instead of turning them in is a really good way to make pretty decent money and level your fishing too, I did it for 80-90 and made something like 10 million gil selling fish.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

parasyte posted:

If you have a controller, map a crosshotbar for FSH and turn on the option to have the game accept controller input even when the window is inactive:

You can also fish by force feedback as the game rumbles your controller when you get a bite.

Oooh good call, thank you!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think the rewards are marginally different because I believe your base rewards for win vs loss are different, but the daily bonus for doing it as your roulette utterly dwarf the base rewards.

I could be wrong about the base rewards, but I'm pretty sure the roulette reward is something like 10x as big as the base reward so just wander around with a blob and shoot things, or play tank and try to golf swing people off cliffs, doing your best Arnold Palmer cosplay is a riot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ley Lines as a group buff would loving rule

I'd kill so many pubbies by dropping ley lines in spots that are soon to become death zones