Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I haven't played this game in 10 years. How do they handle legacy/old content? The other two MMOs I play are GW2 (all content is designed to be evergreen and always relevant) and WoW (content is relevant for a couple months after release, then basically discarded forever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
So I made it to patch 2.4 now. I read all the dialogue/watched all the cutscenes. The story so far has been so bad I've been laughing with disbelief at what I am seeing. None of the characters I have met so far have had any personality or relatability. I still have no idea who any of these people are and why should I care about them. The boss lady who seemingly does nothing but sit in her office all day is the worst. Your character, literally the most important/powerful person in the universe, amounts to nothing but being her errand boy. The stakes are non-existent since nobody is in any danger, ever. The big bads are apparently moustache-twirling villains straight out of an early morning kids show.

Now I do hear the story does get better in the expansions. I will soldier on but so far I fail to see how are they going to make me care about any of this.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

God Hole posted:

fwiw I was cringing through ARR and two expansions later I was developing strategies on how to continue fighting when my eyes were filled with tears because the game so effectively and so consistently pulled on my heartstrings Tsukuyomi

Comments like this are exactly why I want to keep going.

And these:

So far there is absolutely nothing suggesting the story is about to become interesting, but I haven't even made it to the first expansion. I will definitely at least play through it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Kheldarn posted:

I've looked into it, but I find I like XIVComboPlugin Expandedest better. It feels less complicated, and it always works.

This seems to be super useful because the button bloat in this game is insane. But I thought any addons were super prohibited?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mordiceius posted:

Lets talk pie-in-the-sky expansion wishes.

Multi-job duty finder queue.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Kwyndig posted:

I don't see that one ever happening because you'd have to switch jobs in a very limited time window which is already a hassle when you do that manually while you're waiting, making it a required part of queueing would just result in more dropped instances.

How so? It would be the same as now, just switch to the job the matchmaking tells you to. Or if they are worried about that they could make it an option you have to specifically enable in duty finder settings.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

quote:

I find these to be tremendously boring, bordering on extreme dislike:
Euphrosyne
Aglaia

The amount of dislike for these kinda surprises me. Difficulty wise, most of the alliance raids seem to be pretty even so I rank them purely by spectacle and music and holy poo poo do these deliver in spades on both fronts.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Tower is too long and I don't get what the final boss is supposed to be a reference to. There were no trains in Nier:Automata :confused:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Speaking of difficulty, how hard should I expect the new alliance raid and dungeon to be? Cause I have been watching a patch retrospective series on youtube and it mentioned how brutal HW alliance raids (other than void ark) and some hard mode dungeons like Sohm Al were at release.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jonny 290 posted:

Tesleen turning into a sin eater

It happening to a character that I met like 5 minutes ago really didn't do anything for me.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Having spent over 3 hours trying Voidcast Dais ex yesterday, I have to say I don't think I'd enjoy this style of raiding over WoW's. It's less of a fight and more of a pattern memorisation game. He uses the same exact attacks at precisely the same times every single time, zero variation. Learn where you need to stand at any given moment and you will eventually win. And from what I could gather, pretty much all fights in the game are like this?

Not saying it's necessarily worse that WoW, it's just different. I can see how some people might prefer it but I'm not one of them.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If I won't do savage, is the best gear I'll be able to get for the rest of the expansion 650 tome gear + one 640 ring?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What is the point of the 'one player per job' restriction in PF? What is the downside of having two of the same class?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mainwaring posted:

Limit gauge fills slower

Ooh, I had no idea. Is that explained anywhere in the game or is that just something people figured out?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I barely even know what the criterion dungeons are, the party finder section for them is either empty 99% of the time or there's a group asking for ilvl I can't get (650).

But since they require a 75 minute guide they are probably not the midcore content aimed at me that the game is sorely lacking anyway.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

:stare:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

FuturePastNow posted:

please post a follow up, we must know

It was Wanderer's Palace (hard), on the final boss according to the duty details. When I zoned in the tank was dead and the second dps and healer already gone. I waited for a bit and then left as well since it was early morning EU time, it was faster to just requeue.

I have no clue what could have happened there.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That's one heck of a cryptic patch note. What sort of sounds do they mean?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mordiceius posted:

Final alliance raid is very good. If only the first two were as good as this one, it would have been one of my favorites.

How is the final boss theme song?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What is the third capped weekly reward from the alliance raid besides loot from boss and the coin?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Got the trial in one (long) evening of PF attempts, seemed a lot easier (and less of a goddamn dance) than Golbez. No body count/unavoidable wipe mechanics didn't hurt either.

Oh and the music slaps hard.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Firebert posted:

4 people saccing their meteors and ressing probably lol

Not all four necessarily but...yeah, basically this.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Before the patch, I had mentor roulette available in the DF (locked, since I am still missing a couple of the old ex trials but still) but now it's gone. I have completed the new the trial, dungeon, and alliance raid but it still won't show up. What gives?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Endorph posted:

FF13) Basically nothing besides some generic enemy model reuse and the collab event.

FF15) See 13.

Guess which other two FF games besides 14 have I played :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

It was a base classes only run

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The entire concept of logical data centers is incredibly outdated and cross-data center play should be their #1 priority.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

This roulette is actually pretty fun since you never know what you are going to get!

It's mostly guildhests/raids as DPS

Every ex trial I've gotten so far we've managed to clear save for Sephirot (seems it's just too many mechanics to take in for most people) and a suprprise Shinryu ex we abandoned after the 15min. I suppose getting Stormblood trial is going to become a lot more common now.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I got Byakko yesterday and it was surprisingly easy. And a Shinryu that was not :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
VPR is a really odd name for a character class. Looks fun though.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

This wasn't even min ilvl (but it was no echo) and we still nearly ran out of time. Must've been a brutal fight back in the day.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I kinda want <Z> but just looking at the books step makes me physically ill.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I really wonder how popular thes new dungeons have been. Variant, the queue is dead even in prime time for both of them. I know they can be soloed and so I suppose the majority of the playerbase soloes them is the only explanation (other than them being essentially dead content after first week).

Criterion, going by Light PF, has usually one, maaaaybe two parties recruiting. Maybe. Compared to savage raids, old and current trials that have dozens between them every evening.

Criterion savage I haven't seen once.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Roluth posted:

Criterion (Another) is somewhere around a low floor Savage in difficulty.

And variant is normal dungeon difficulty and there is nothing inbetween :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Vitamean posted:

ofc I remember when tanking bone dragon in the center would send alliance chat into overdrive for the rest of the instance, which was kinda funny but also its own kind of misery.

On a slightly related tangent, I joined a MINE LotA run on Halloween night and I was quite surprised how difficult that place actually was. We wiped like 3 times on the bone dragon trash alone, and king behemot was a nightmare to get down, too.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Onean posted:

Friendly reminder to back up your FFXIV settings in the launcher and character settings at the login screen if you haven't for a while.

Related, do these transfer between PC and console?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Now that's done perhaps I ought to look into this blue mage thing one of these days....

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It's even better when it's rolled into a sigle button. :v:

But yeah, even besides that, gunbreaker is my favourite tank for sure.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What do I do with the 640 raid loot? Will I eventually be able to trade it in for company seals?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Kerrzhe posted:

. you hit the 4 skills you have and they go on cooldown and you just have to auto attack while they refresh.

Well, that's when you're supposed to swap weapons :v:

But yeah, after playing WoW for all these years, not needing to kill 10 mobs for a quest or the even worse collect x items which only like every third mob drops I definitely appreciated the way FF14 does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They have to add glamour plates, by Dawntrail there won't even be at least one per job anymore.