Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
It's just very simple brained politicking "Hey I didn't choose to attack you, it was the dice!"
Also the number of people I see who do the "[x] has the highest life total so i'll attack them" as a sort of free pass for "that means you aren't allowed to get mad and exact revenge on me"
I'm not going to bear a grudge for you attacking me for 2 when i'm on 38 and someone else is on 40 still.
But maybe the person who is starting to assemble an egine of destruction could have a bit more pressure on their life so they have to hold up mana to respond and/or might have to chump with those creatures with spicy rules text on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

For some reason I think it's important you are in Green because not only does it mean you can punch someone with the Great Henge, but also you can create some kind of screwy Megazord by equipping a bunch of Ghalta sized dinosaurs using Liquimetal shenanigans.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Goddammit.
In Too Deep would let you equip a creature though right?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

I think stupidly one of the cards I'm most excited to get in the whole set is a Common, because it means I can add another Funboi to my Slimefoot deck. I hope Saprolings come back in some set, but I'm not holding my breath because it's Squirrels all the way down these days.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

If it's an infinite that the deck is built to get to then they win. They executed their plan, and got to the end game state they wanted. The fact the infinite combo technically causes a draw not a win is whatever. I sincerely doubt those combos are significantly easier to pull off than many of the "go infinite and win" combos. I'm not going to have object to someone sitting down with that in mind.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you think you are losing and intentionally cause an infinite-loop draw, then that's a legit way to avoid losing. If you begin the game and set out to cause an infinite-loop draw, you're an rear end in a top hat.

uhh you see the contradiction there? it's not a win if it's not a win. you're arguing against a tautology
Either way is "I assembled the pieces of an engine that means the game ends now". They built the deck with the intent of achieving that. If they do what they wanted to and end the game their deck "won". If there's some points or prizes or whatever on the line then that's different but if it's just Commander night I'm not gonna sit there and think that person is an rear end in a top hat. I'd expect it to come up in the pregame though, and if their way of doing it is just super easy and cheap then I'll probably give them feedback that's it's not a fun conclusion to a game.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Someone at my local group has a Nekusar deck, and it just ends up getting ruthlessly targeted. Most of the bad things the deck does require Nekusar to be out to be meaningful (like wheeling people), and by its nature the deck gives you way more opportunity to find removal for it.

Naturally he feels hurt and ganged up on, but doesn't seem to be able to internalise that this is just the natural reaction to a deck that reminds you of its cruelty every single turn, or that when it is doing it's thing it's helping you deal with it.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Grixis is the most butthurt shard for sure, all the actually playable commanders are kill on sight.
I'll have you know my Obeka deck is completely fine and not a problem oh wait you said actually playable.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

My least favourite threat assessment is "your board has some confusing text that doesn't seem to do anything, so I'm way more worried about it then this other obviously actually strong boardstate"

I mean they are right, and if they hadn't dealt with it they would've found out how that is a combo piece but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Rythe posted:

Funny enough I love Obeka and I'm most games I reach for her because so many of the cards are super fun in 4 player pods. It's not super crazy or powerful but as casual goes the deck is alot of fun and I enjoy playing it.
Yeah this sounds very similar, apart from abusing a few things with Obeka (anything with Encore, Mirror March etc.), most of it is things like Scheming Symmetry or Wheel of Misfortune to get some table talk happening.

Edit: Also Glorious End is probably one of my favourite cards. It's not an effect people are used to being printed on a card, and seeing someone slam their Craterhoof, move to Combat and then... nope.

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 3, 2022

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

If I'm pulling stuff out of other people's decks or graveyards or whatever I usually just ask them what's the most threatening thing I could grab unless I'm trying to craft something magical with a Mimeoplasm or similar where the burden is definitely on me. They usually have a much better idea of what is hot plasma than me having to read 100 cards.
Not knowing what you are looking for in your own deck is a pet peeve though. Don't play tutors if you can't shot call what you want.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I'm not an expert on kids but 7 seems waaaaaay too young to play magic at all, let alone being able to handle the dynamics of 4 player Commander. This feels like Mommy paying $10 for a few hours of babysitting.
Both my kids started around 7 - but their early decks were pretty much just Turn Sideways jobs like Nikya with a bunch of Trampley Hasty fatties. They both knew enough from boardgames in general to know how to threaten and deal so they could get immunity in exchange for attacking others. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't leave them alone even if I trusted the store.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

I run Obeka with Zara, Renegade Recruiter and Puppeteer Clique and Identity Thief because all of those DO work to let you keep stuff. Encore and Myriad effects are also good fun, as well as Mimic Vat.

I do run a few nasty things, like Glorious End, but only as a way to stop someone winning once.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Anyone planning on building any of the commanders from the set?
Shelob looks interesting to me because of the weirdness of the last block of text. I like the fact that every game would theoretically play out a bit different because you're getting card text from other creatures around the table onto artifact tokens.
It's a bit awkward though because Spiders isn't exactly the richest tribe, but you can riff off the Deathtouch and Food, and Arachnogenesis becomes even more of a huge bomb Instant.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

This is going to sound dismissive, but: there really isn't one. At anything other than the lowest-power tables, you're helping three other players draw into their game plans faster than you're killing them, and at those low-power tables he's so hated they'll save the little removal they run for him. Even if you stick him in a control shell, it's really hard to keep the rest of the table locked AND cast Nekusar AND pivot from controlling to winning. I think the closest analog is Opus Thief decks, and playing white goes a long way toward protecting their wins.

He's not unbuildable, but he's got the problem of being much less threatening than his reputation.
There's someone at our play group who gets consistently annoyed that this is what happens to their Nekusar. It's moderate power generally, but everyone will hate on the deck and they walk away hurt every time like they got picked on, because there's enough removal to just suppress what it's trying to do and remove the control pieces (or someone draws into their wincon faster).

Generally it only manages to do well if it manages to make someone else the Archenemy, and Nekusar has time to get a really nasty engine going in the background.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

My EDH decks mostly started with the Commander and there are still plenty of instances of "oh that seems cool". However, there's increasingly looking at colour combinations and play styles and power levels where I have gaps I want to fill out.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

For something like Slivers which snowballs hard, it really becomes a case of not just "are you running board wipes?" but the other decks having reached the level where they are running some or all of:
  • Counterspells and other interaction, with enough mana efficiency to leave headroom
  • Tutors, or other ways of having more cards available like Graveyard strategies
  • Card Draw, lots of Card Draw
Because having 3 board wipes in your deck is all well and good, but if you aren't able to draw a lot of cards or tutor for them when you need them you can't reliably deal with things. And it's fine having some Instant speed removal/denial, but if you aren't mana efficient enough to be able to advance your board state and keep mana up it's going to be a dead card in hand.

The naive way to build against it otherwise just becomes to stack even more board wipes and interaction which eventually diltues out your deck to the point it does nothing, except be a Draw Go that stops everyone else winning until you run out of cards. Or you go greedy and race it with something that snowballs even harder.

I totally understand if people don't want to include a lot of the above though, because the good cards in those categories can get very pricey. It also puts the whole thing into a different power bracket which may not be what they want to play.

If they don't want to jack up the power level, or else dilute their decks, and don't think there's a version of their deck where they can race you, it's not surprising they just feel like it's empty competition. But I don't think the power level they need to be at is some wild CEDH thing - it's simply getting everyone to the point there's consistency and back and forth. Play an 8 not a 7.

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 4, 2023

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I need Don Andres in spanish

I cannot wait to slot this in Evelyn

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

I mentioned wanting to make a Don Andres deck and have all the cards in Spanish. Thots on the list? It's just a first draft at the moment.
Cunning Rhetoric is a fun one that I find helps a surprising amount with disincentivising attacks, and plays into Don Andres.
Other things to consider - Havengul Lich, See Double, Rod of Absorption.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

I keep putting off trying to make an EDH deck that I bought a precon and will spruce that up.
The Velcoiramptor deck seems pretty good out of the box, so i'd say first step is just sleeve up and play.
You've got a load of good cards for the deck though, so going through and picking the ones you've got that you really want to play, and taking out anything that does not spark joy... that's a good start!

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 17, 2023

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

LanceKing2200 posted:

My marker for "is it worth it to buy packs" (It's never worth it) is if the set has commons/uncommons worth playing. Looking at Lost Caverns I don't see a single non-rare I'd put in a deck, whereas LOTR and MotM had some decent stuff.
My one notable exception was Kutzil, which I was hoping to open. Bought a Bundle, opened that Cat three times, in regular, showcase, and showcase foil.
It was my first time cracking packs with my youngest, and it was one of my better hauls from a Bundle including a Cavern of Souls so that's definitely set them up to be disappointed in future.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Not to prolong the power level discussion, but I always find the problem is that "how fast can I win?" ignores the two other major axes of a deck of "how consistently does that happen?" and "how likely am I to be able to stop someone else winning?".

I see a lot of people with decks that are fine, have a win-con they are playing to etc., but they have a piece or two of fast mana. A tutor or two. Some games they will beast out and win as early as Turn 4 and everyone goes "that's not a 7!", others they will meander around and do nothing at all until Turn 10+. Their deck is then wildly hard to match up because it's power level on the table is totally inconsistent.

This then also runs into the second one heavily. Interaction doesn't help you win, and a lot of people only include cards that play into their theme/wincon, so unless their theme is doing some controlly staxy stuff they won't bother including a lot of it. But interaction does massively derail decks that are inconsistent, and can even lead to some bad feels because countering or removing their one key piece leaves them dead in the water for the rest of the game.

Some people do really like the "race" gameplay - where you take 4 decks that are medium power, but wildly inconsistent around that, and have barely any interaction, and essentially draw cards to see who goes off. It's certainly a fun and fast way to rifle through a lot of games in an evening and have some wild stuff happen in each one - which is preferential to having a game of low-powered consistency with tonnes of removal where everything keeps getting reset and takes 3 hours.

There's a hard to hit groove where you get a good pod were everyone has decks that aren't all insanely powerful, but are interacting with each other - people saying "In Response" to activate abilities and cast spells, and that those decks have enough redundancy and card draw that everyone stays invested right up to the line.

TL;DR
- Run interaction
- Run card draw
- Have redundancy
- If you can't have redundancy run tutors

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

Rules question

The other day a player in my group played a card that was basically

Create 1 X/X token
Create x 1/1 tokens

His deck is basically about copying tokens when they enter the game, and wanted to copy the swarm of 1/1s. We were unsure if he could, sat there a while googling, couldn’t find a conclusive answer but the closest we got was that he doesn’t get to pick the order and had to copy the X/X

(He can only copy once per turn)

Question is:
Are these 2 events a single event and he gets to copy both?
If not:
Can he choose which of these 2 events he copies?

There was no «create x/x token THEN create 1/1 tokens» wording, so it kinda reads like creating the tokens is 1 event.
Pretty sure you're talking about Sylvan Offering, and believe both effects for the caster will occur at the same time as one ability, ie. they are creating an X/X and X 1/1s at the same time as one whole thing.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve play with some people who automatically scoop if ever an effect resolves that allows someone else to handle their cards. I get it on some level but lol when they get all huffy about it.
My Evelyn deck is apparently incredibly obnoxious. People cannot abide seeing their deck a) Get Exiled into oblivion and b) Except I can still play it.

Although I do understand sitting there staring at my two open mana whilst your own Counterspell is face up on the table ready to ruin your own game is somewhat oppressive.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any suggestions for a deck that doesn't rely on it's commander that much? Just a big old pile of good stuff that its nice if you have the commander out, but having them in play isn't integral for the deck winning?
Ignoring Eminence, my usual boring answer is Yarok. Whilst you can go deep on the Commander, you mostly just want good value ETB Creatures in Sultai which ... there's a lot to choose from. It's also a very easy deck to evaluate new sets on - does this do something cool when it ETBs? Cool it's probably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

I was going to build a Laughing Jasper Flint deck from stuff I grabbed at pre-release, but everytime I look at him all I can see is: