Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I've got a Marchesa deck that probably could use some recommendations for what should obviously be stealing and sacking people's stuff. i didn't realize how scattered my mana artifacts were until i dropped it in moxfield, and the big money cards are old holdovers I've owned for a long time. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/7IfCLzvONUqQEtTHulA96w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

If you're going this route, please get a mayhem devil. Also you could consider using some cards like zulaport cutthroat and bastion of remembrance, meathook massacre, and other on-death triggers.

don't want to be gaining life because deck relies on dethrone for the shenanigans of bringing mine and stolen things back over and over.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Mystic Repeal should be a staple in every deck that runs green if your meta has any amount of problem enchantments or Theros gods in the player pool. It's basically a better Nature's Claim like 99% of the time(edit: when it comes to strictly Enchantment removal :ssh: ), because tucking a card is almost always better than destroying one.

that's why i like things like that white board wipe that exiles stuff instead of destroys.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
The only brain card I'd play is Gleemax, but it's not legal

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

And yeah Treasure is the dominant mechanic in commander atm, case in point more people come into this thread to ask about Marchesa than any other commander put together!!!

I'm not sure what you're talking about unless you mean Queen Marchesa. I've been lurking this one and the last thread for awhile and figured I'd ask. Also don't know how Marchesa it's case in point for treasure? Should i have not responded to a Bust Rodd post?

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

imagine dungeons posted:

Kinda rude to Rodd, imo.

have you seen them post in video games threads? their mtg posts are generally pretty good though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought Marchesa was a treasure commander but it turns out my friend just has a Marchesa skin for his Negan and that's not a real card! Whoops! Whenever anyone asks about Marchesa thats what i thought they were talking about! ha ha!

Makes total sense now. Your magic posts shall continue to be as good as your video game opinions are bad :P

Prosper is really fun to go hard into treasure/exile stuff. I need to figure out how to cram as much foretell into prosper and maybe adventure as I can. The Kaldheim demon that gives all your spells foretell is pretty banger. Maybe I will try to get into goon spelltable stuff to try things out.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Jiro posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't look to buy singles at "near mint" most of the time?
lightly played can be almost indiscernible from near mint, but then i ordered a near mind that had a big ol dent in the middle. gotten some really good moderately played but also really bad.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Also, how could I forget the best Elf, Chameleon Colossus?

my favorite elf is taurean mauler. it's amazing in my dwarf deck

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
which one is Mitch so i know to avoid?

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i don't dig the katanas as much because my dragon inner sleeves don't fit in right. they're awesome for the price for sure.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I've drawn a lot of aggro with my magda deck, but it's pretty obvious you don't want to let me start accruing treasures as fast as i do. i still need to slot mean stuff like blood moon and sulfuric buttered in to go with my innocent seven seven dwarves.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i hope pink wins the inner color, but am fine with gray.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
everything works great with prosper. so much good stuff keeps dropping for him.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Jiro posted:

In the Amazon MTG store it's MORE expensive to buy the precons in minimal packaging than it is to buy all five, both sold in bundles, in the regular packaging. Why? Also if the images on the normal standard packaging is accurate a booster pack could be included in each precon box.

it's a two card version of a collector pack

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Just keep scrolling down, it’s not like it requires different mechanics than any other text format to parse

But my fingers stopped working from all the rage of having to read words on Twitter. I had to scroll with my nose.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I played a game with strixhaven precons with my brother and his daughter. I ended up comboing out hard with the artifact deck. They were all unmodded. And that’s how i fell off the wagon and started playing magic again unfortunately.
I don’t think it’s too absurd for someone to come in and sweep if it’s set up to do something straightforward (however anecdotal my experience was).

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
It’s weird that people don’t seem to recognize that swift reconfiguration can be used to protect your stuff. People have less artifact kill stuff than creature.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
If there's a replacement effect for the myriad tokens, like jinnie Faye for example, are the tokens still removed no matter what they are, or do they stay because they're not the same object that the trigger was supposed to make?

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
yeah i wanna grab it too because i don't have any b/w decks and seems amusing.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

Phyrexian Arena is an awful card nowadays lol

i don't care it's in my Marchesa proliferate deck. Gotta keep my life total lower for that dethrone. I also have black market connections too.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i have a Marchesa deck that I've retooled to be about +1/+1 counters and proliferation. it used to be about stealing other people's stuff and sacrificing them after i get a counter on them, but that didn't seem fun. i need to stop adding cards and so I'm always cutting.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/7IfCLzvONUqQEtTHulA96w
The cards in 'considering' are actually reminding me to actually remove things when i get around to doing the actual edits. I probably have too many mana rocks or other sub optimal things. the win con is to beat people up with increasingly large hard to block creatures, so this is definitely not cedh.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Play Marchesa Akikido, it's the most fun you'll ever have.

that's why i still left control stuff in, just no searching anyone's deck for stuff. can't beat that high of stealing someone's mutated commander with a counter on it and sacking it. i got every creature in the pile back except the commander at the end of my turn.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

MissMarple posted:

I cannot wait to slot this in Evelyn

my marchesa deck used to be about stealing people's stuff but i gave that up for proliferation and +1/+1 counters. i might've changed my mind if i saw this card a year ago.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I can't wait until there's enough raccoons to make a trash panda deck. it will be terrible and i will love it.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I am having trouble cutting stuff down to 100 in my Lara Croft deck. It isn't high power, but it is stuff I have already. I don't know if I am lowballing creatures or anything. I could use some help at least cutting https://www.moxfield.com/decks/XOK8s73DUUuQvud4i7m78Q

I'm sure I can just cut some of the lame legendaries too.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Zurai posted:

I'm far from a commander expert, so take this all with a grain of salt:

• First I'd cut the Up the Beanstalk. You've only got a grand total of 13 spells in the deck that are 5 mana and up, and only 2 artifacts (Slicer and Doors of Durin) that you could recast with Lara. I don't think this is going to do much for you.
  • Insurrection is just kind of a generic win the game card. I get that you have a theft subtheme going on, but Insurrection is kind one of those cards that you resolve once and that's enough for a lifetime.
  • Reclaim is not a very good card in this deck. You don't really have tons of topdeck synergies, so a Regrowth would be better, and it's not like it's an expensive card. Or you can just cut it entirely since your commander has recursion built in.
  • I see where you're coming from with Aggravated Assault and Last Night Together, but consider whether paying 5 mana for an extra Lara Croft activation is really worthwhile.
  • With only 27 creatures in the deck, Doors of Durin isn't going to hit very often. Is it really worth a slot?
  • What's Subterranean Schooner for? It's not legendary and it doesn't look like explore really does much for you.
  • Take a hard look at Sword of Forge and Frontier. My guess is that it's in your deck as a ramp effect, but it's pretty slow and uncertain at the job, and it's not legendary.
  • Halana and Alena doesn't really seem to fit the theme of your deck. Neither does Me, the Immortal.
  • I don't think there's enough instants or sorceries in your deck for Storm-Kiln Artist to really shine, especially considering that it's going to put a bullseye on your back (it's a well-known combo card).

That's 11 relatively straightforward cuts from an outside perspective, which still leaves you with 10 to go but it's a start.

The "Me the immortal" is at least for some graveyard pulling which feels "on theme" but the halana and alena i saw recommend elsewhere but doesn't really fit what I've got going.
I would definitely add more creatures if i could find the room to do so. But thank you very much for the advice.

Aphrodite posted:

If you're using a sword for ramp, Hearth and Home is much better at it.

i don't have that card and am not spending more on this deck. All the money stuff in it is stuff I've pulled from other decks. Thanks anyway.

I understand it's a pretty low power deck that's win con is swing to win. I reluctantly added godo so it's not 100% lose rate. It just seems neat to have the theme.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/secret-lair-commander-deck-raining-cats-and-dogs
new secret lair deck list. even though the new art is lovely and i want the lands and tokens, I'm feeling good that my jinnie fae cat token deck is better.
money is better spent on something else stupid like that anime smothering tithe, or maybe that annointed procession.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

As I said in the other thread, my Rin and Seri deck is very close to this, but even if mine is better it's still a 7/10. And the $150 price tag is a joke considering the lands. I want to make a separate Jinnie Fae deck. My Rin and Seri deck has a lot of cards that were so on-theme I couldn't not play them, but Jinnie Fae looks more competitive in that it can surprise make lethal amounts of hasty cats out of a previously empty board.

All Rin and Seri has is Aluren combos for infinite dogs.

jinnie fae is really fun. it's super easy to go wide with tons of different token makers. i still need to finish making hybrid cat tokens for the deck. i.e. food cat, treasure cat, blood cat, human cat, rabbit cat (cabbit), etc.

it is surprisingly versatile because the stuff I'm turning into cats are useful even if i don't have jinnie out.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Typed Duals that only come into play untapped if you control two or more other lands. Typed Duals that only come into play untapped if you fetched them.

and make so many different kinds that are slightly different that the price of all of them crashes to be sub five dollars... or less...

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I'm going to be out of town. this event would also probably give me anxiety anyway because of too many awful people I've played with.

also kind of funny that i had a weird anxiety attack yesterday because jesse from tolarian community college was in the place i worked and i spent the entire time going "is that her? it can't be her."

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 1, 2024

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I really wish there was a way to exclude decks with infinite combos on moxfall because winning with an infinite is such a phyrric victory. Is also sucks to finally find an interesting deck only to discover its wincons are nothing but combos.

i have them in two decks as backups. in one of them is a weak deck anyway, and the other is already a fire hose of cats before going infinite. both are still combat damage and vulnerable.

i hate thoracle and that one that has you mill half your deck twice.

edit: oh yeah i have that infinite treasure combo in magda but that requires a lot of parts and is tricky. one way or another it requires me to get to upkeep with that dragon and a mess of treasures to snipe victory.

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

A Moose posted:

One of my favorite combos was winning a 6 player game with Biovisionary and Infinite Reflection. I needed to have 4+ creatures in play, one of them being Biovisionary, nobody had a counterspell or single target removal, and a 6 mana aura.

Just went around the table like "anyone got any response or removal? No? No? No? No? No? Ok I win" and people got mad at ME lmao

if i did that i would happily take a victory scoop and enjoy watching the table play the rest of the game out. fragile combos feel the best, that's why i like my jinnie fae deck.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

What combos do you have with her? In Rin and Seri I keep adding/removing Aluren. I can't find an Oketra's Monument at any of the six LGSes in a 50 mile radius, which would be almost as nasty of a combo.

jinnie fae, requiem angel, and a sac outlet are infinite whatever. never done it yet but the deck is really strong with interlocking systems. i crammed the deck with token generators that turn into cats, but are still really useful if jinnie fae isn't on the board. krenko was an amazing threat once. eldrazi monument is a good time too, with the sacrifice requirement being nothing.

i probably need to update it with the new token doublers I've picked up like parallel lives and the glory dominus. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/QXhEhMKdDkKCZZs50EQBNQ

i already see some places i can fit them in. why is devoted druid there????

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

You could also do jinnie fae, ivy lane denizen, and scurry oak. Make infinite squirrels which turn into dogs with haste

why would i make dogs????
but combo otherwise noted

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
maybe give him decks to play instead, and if he refuses take out a spray bottle filled with water and start squirtin' until he complies.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
gross

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Rose Room Treasurer, the Academy Manufactor reprint, and Indulge//Excess (not from MKM but I didn't see it until yesterday) have finally convinced me to build Jinnie Fay.

hell yeah, turn everything into cats so they can knock everything off the table

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
if you have all those cats hanging around not doing anything, you should get them a halo fountain. if you can get them tapped first, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
it's neat that other people are coming around on jinnie fae. she's a neat weird one that makes it easy to go wide in unexpected ways. it gives you more options because you can just ignore her ability if you need treasures, or blood, or whatever instead of cats/dogs